Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Captain Tom Moore (ed. RIP)

Comments

• Options
    Not wishing to pee on the parade, but for all the fact that Captain Tom is obviously a lovely charming and decent man, are we not going a little over the top. Over the course of a week or so he has walked up and down a garden. This has been captured by the media, and instead of £1000 , Millions has been raised. 

There are others out there who have toiled and given up their lives for years in supporting charities. No doubt their financial count will be no where near Toms. However, their personal sacrifice would have been massive and in many cases life changing. Are we shouting out for knighthoods and Dameship for them.

i think we are in a world where, people seem to want to reward media attention. Yes, it’s a great story and a fantastic sum of money has been raised. An yes I have contributed myself. But, a knighthood...... 
    Agree no Knighthood.

He'll get a certificate from the NHS following his fundraising and that certificate is far more valuable than an outdated pin badge and title.

£14m plus around £2m in gift aid now. 

• Options
    Not wishing to pee on the parade, but for all the fact that Captain Tom is obviously a lovely charming and decent man, are we not going a little over the top. Over the course of a week or so he has walked up and down a garden. This has been captured by the media, and instead of £1000 , Millions has been raised. 

There are others out there who have toiled and given up their lives for years in supporting charities. No doubt their financial count will be no where near Toms. However, their personal sacrifice would have been massive and in many cases life changing. Are we shouting out for knighthoods and Dameship for them.

i think we are in a world where, people seem to want to reward media attention. Yes, it’s a great story and a fantastic sum of money has been raised. An yes I have contributed myself. But, a knighthood...... 
    You're a brave man RM
  • Options

You're a brave man RM
    I know, but am the only one who thinks this. Have, I become a man who poo poos ?
  • Options
    I would like to see something, be it a park, hospital, bridge or whatever named after him. That would be a lasting reminder for generations of people to come what one man had done. By all means give him some personal recognition for his outstanding efforts but the country needs reminding now and again of people’s actions when things turned bad and the good that few do.
  • Options
    Isn't the word Zeitgeist appropriate? Fairly or unfairly Captain Tom, the media and the generous public are reading the runes of the moment with a fantastic result. If a high formal award seems to be called on by popular acclaim because of this effort, give Captain Tom two Knighthoods if need be.
    One for him and one for those supporting him.
  • Options

You're a brave man RM
    I know, but am the only one who thinks this. Have, I become a man who poo poos ?
    Every man poos, 

I sort of agree with you, it’s a heart warming story of a very elderly man who earned medals in the last war that affected the whole nation to the same or greater extent as this fight against an invisible foe.

it has captured the imagination of the country and the amount he has raised has far surpassed anyone’s expectations. The actual money raised is a drop in a big ocean as far as the NHS is concerned.

the fact that he has done it and has brought a lot of joy to many across the country is at least as valuable in my view.

personally see no reason why he shouldn’t be knighted. The honours list rewards those who capture the public imagination just as much as it rewards those with decades of service or substantial contributions of cash to the government of the time. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Duplicate post.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A knighthood and a spot on the Morgan's rum advert (Captain?  .. Captain) .. the amount of money raised is almost incredible .. Capn. Moore (namesake of another great Captain), we salute you sir
  • Options

You're a brave man RM

You're a brave man RM

You're no way a party pooper and make a very good point .. I agree with the idea that many people work unpaid for charities and do good causes for years and if they are lucky end up with a cuppa with a 'royal' at buck house and an MBE .. as has been said we get Sir Elton John, Sir Mick Jagger, Sir Alastair Cook etc. etc .. by that criteria this gentleman should get a top seat at the House of Lords .. still on his 100th he'll get a telegram (or is it an email nowadays ?) from auntie Liz if nothing else
  • Options
    Now over £15 million. Absolutely staggering.
    I've loved seeing him on the TV, not just for what he is doing but for what he has to say. What an inspiration to us all. 
  • Options
    Apparently he lived in Gravesend for a while and got married at Gravesend Registry Office.
    Yes, his wife to be was an office manager in Gravesend 

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/gravesend/news/she-looked-terrific-to-me-like-a-model-225717/

• Options
    Greenie said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Given all the sporting cancellations this year, surely he's got to be nailed on for winning SPOTY as well.
    He’s on the bench for your lot when the season starts, so yes why not? 😀
    Why should he settle for a place on the bench when he could get a full 90 mins week in week out for us? 
    Oh Tommy,Tommy Moore walks down the wing for me...yep like it, from one legend to another....👍
  • Options
    No, his legs have gone.
  • Options
    how how this thread can generate anything other than positive comments is beyond me
  • Options
    how how this thread can generate anything other than positive comments is beyond me
    Really? It’s Charlton Life.
  • Options
    "We will get through it in the end but it might take time, but at the end of the day we shall all be okay again... the sun will shine on you again and the clouds will go away."
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    16m plus gift aid so likely 18/19m now.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

The honours system has all sorts of unpleasant implications, but few ordinary people get knighthoods for charity or other deserving causes. They get OBEs, CBEs MBEs.

Knighthoods are reserved for mainly arselickers.  Name me ten altruistic aristos. Richard Branson doesn't count.

• Options
    I doubt if Tom would be concerned with a title so maybe if the Queen matched him pound for pound?

o:) 
  • Options
    What a great achievement and it is still going on. I was a bit concerned though that the troops in his garden yesterday were a  bit close. He is a national treasure so no risks please.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I doubt if Tom would be concerned with a title so maybe if the Queen matched him pound for pound?

o:) 
    Good point. How much money has the royal family donated during this crisis?
  • Options
    Over £18m now
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Saw that the RAF are going to do a spitfire flybye for him man is an absolute legend and true gent watched him on his final lap it was so humbling almost brought a tear to my eye,almost!
    Legend

• Options
    I expect our scouts will be watching with interest. The splendid old fella clearly has a great engine, a wealth of experience and is an inspirational captain. How tall is he?

• Options
    Over £20m now. Go on Captain Tom👏👏