Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Centenary Wall at Charlton Station Unveiled - with Seb Lewis tribute

Comments

• Options

I know this is shameful on my part but I’m sure the train enthusiasts here can put me right , do all bridges under/over railway lines have a number on them (574 in this case) is there a particular theme to em as in differing numbers for over the line or under etc .
  • Options

I know this is shameful on my part but I’m sure the train enthusiasts here can put me right , do all bridges under/over railway lines have a number on them (574 in this case) is there a particular theme to em as in differing numbers for over the line or under etc .
    Are you one of those people who doesn't read the articles but only looks at the pictures in men's magazines?
  • Options
    Love it, was jealous of the other parts of south east London that had those by their stations, so fantastic to see it in Charlton, and beautiful nod to Seb
  • Options
    Love It!!!
  • Options

Are you one of those people who doesn't read the articles but only looks at the pictures in men's magazines?
    Yes but that’s another story ...
    where’s the bridge info ?
  • Options
    Sorry if I missed this, but I take it this is hear to stay for the long term?

Think it looks fantastic and definitely think another mural on the wall by the corner of Flloyd Road would be great. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Sorry if I missed this, but I take it this is hear to stay for the long term?

Think it looks fantastic and definitely think another mural on the wall by the corner of Flloyd Road would be great. 
    Yes here to stay and will be refurbished when required
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2020

• Options
    NugNug
    edited March 2020
    That's brilliant, well done to everyone involved. Fantastic classic design. Who doesn't love a bit of Gill Sans Shadow?
  • Options
    Well done, that looks splendid, love the old school fonts used (including for the SEB 1076) it looks really classy
  • Options
    It looks fantastic, but they'll have to come back & turn the arrow round when we move into our new stadium at the peninsula.
  • Options
    It looks fantastic, but they'll have to come back & turn the arrow round when we move into our new stadium at the peninsula.
    Shhhhhush
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

They do indeed, these are important in identifying structures in cases like road vehicle collisions ("bridge bashes" as they are known in the trade).
  • Options
    I love it.
  • Options
    Brilliant and a decent red as well , great touch with Seb 1076

is it a special paint to stop it fading , flaking etc and who will it be maintained by if those things happen .
    Just wondering how long these things last before they need some more TLC 
    It has been treated with anti graffiti coating and should be able to be cleaned up with soap and water. 

Amazing the only thing I was worried about
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Why no badge? Was it a copyright issue?
    No,we could have got permission if we'd wanted and it was an option but we discussed and decided to keep the design very simple.
    bsolutely the right decision.  Gives it  really nice retro feel like 920s.  The edge wouldn't have worked the same.
  • Options
    Absolute quality and Seb would have been proud. 

Well done to all those involved. Thank you 
  • Options
    Well done the museum for a great idea and execution. The wall on Floyd Road until quite recently had a mural depicting the fight to stop demolition of houses in the area.

http://londonmuralpreservationsociety.com/murals/floyd-road/
  • Options
    Well done the museum for a great idea and execution. The wall on Floyd Road until quite recently had a mural depicting the fight to stop demolition of houses in the area.

It still does - this is the wall on the corner where Sam Bartram's shop was - but it's looking a bit tatty now. Carol Kenna, one of the artists behind it, is still around and still lives in Charlton.
  • Options
    Let's just hope that when football returns, we still have a club............
  • Options

It still does - this is the wall on the corner where Sam Bartram's shop was - but it's looking a bit tatty now. Carol Kenna, one of the artists behind it, is still around and still lives in Charlton.
    That mural has lasted amazingly well really, considering it's been left basically untouched (I assume) for over 40 years