Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bored? Any tips to make social isolation more bearable?

Comments

• Redskin said:
    8. Tottenham Hotspurs
    There is no S on the end of Hotspur.
  • edited April 2020
    Has @DaveMehmet not suggested the danger w*nk yet?

EDIT:  was trying for far too much elaborate details to be funny and it really wasnt.  The reality of the morning after <facepalm>
  • Or @JohnBoyUK ......if a Czech Olympian athlete arrived on your door step with circa 1 and a half bags...it’s a challenge and 

Its a conundrum 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ps. I agree all....if you haven’t seen the “it’s not all bad thread”, then this is proper confusing 🤣”
  • There is one underground station and one football league club that do not have any of the letters of mackerel in them. What are they?
  • Spyhole on history of your local streets etc. Change the map by clicking on 'show search panel

This is set to sometime between 1892 - 1914, and scales well against the background map, set to 'bing road':

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/spy/#zoom=16.563677609214107&lat=51.48625&lon=0.03309&layers=168&b=3&r=42
    That is brilliant, love it. 
  • Mackerel Swindon
  • Mackerel Swindon
    Yes.
  • edited April 2020
    Lie in till around 8.

Cup of tea to brace myself for the day.

Do a few things around the flat.

Stick Love thy Neighbour on.

Have something to eat.

Get stuck in to a few lagers.

Channel hop the tele.

Go to bed.

It beats work.
  • edited April 2020
    I wrote a play a few years ago. Just to do something creative, which I needed at the time. I wanted to see if I could. It isn't great but I don't think it is terrible and certainly is substantial (nearly 30k words). Maybe I will try to write a better one. I think I will have the time. The last one took me over a year to finish. 
  • Does anyone know an app I can use to stitch video clips together?  It is my girls 5th birthday next week and with her party canceled I would like to get a big video put together for her to watch of people saying happy birthday and stuff.  Also if anyone else has ideas of how to make a 5year olds birthday special without going outside, seeing her friends etc that would be good.  Bought 300 balloons to pack out an entire room, got a cake, got a Peppa pig dial in on zoom to sing happy birthday.  All creative ideas welcome.  Was thinking of asking neighbours to sing happy birthday at a certain time or something 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2020
    Does anyone know an app I can use to stitch video clips together?  It is my girls 5th birthday next week and with her party canceled I would like to get a big video put together for her to watch of people saying happy birthday and stuff.  Also if anyone else has ideas of how to make a 5year olds birthday special without going outside, seeing her friends etc that would be good.  Bought 300 balloons to pack out an entire room, got a cake, got a Peppa pig dial in on zoom to sing happy birthday.  All creative ideas welcome.  Was thinking of asking neighbours to sing happy birthday at a certain time or something 
    We're struggling with the same for my daughter (she's turning 5 too, later in the month), felt awful telling her that we wouldn't be able to have her party or go anywhere.

Beyond a nice cake and her favourite dinner etc it's hard to know what to do.
  • Does anyone know an app I can use to stitch video clips together?  It is my girls 5th birthday next week and with her party canceled I would like to get a big video put together for her to watch of people saying happy birthday and stuff.  Also if anyone else has ideas of how to make a 5year olds birthday special without going outside, seeing her friends etc that would be good.  Bought 300 balloons to pack out an entire room, got a cake, got a Peppa pig dial in on zoom to sing happy birthday.  All creative ideas welcome.  Was thinking of asking neighbours to sing happy birthday at a certain time or something 
    There's a video editor in Windows 10 - I've not tried using it, but if you've got a couple of sample clips you want to send me, I can have a play tomorrow, and see if there are any obvious pitfalls or formatting issues to look out for.
  • Been having a right sort out of the DVDs
    Found loads still with wrappers intact!
    Sweeney box set
    On the buses box set
    Some mothers do ave em
    Alan partridge 
    Starksy & hutch
    Life on Mars
    Ashes to ashes
    All unopened boxes sets
    Plenty of evening viewing for a while 
  • edited April 2020
    That Holloway link is fab.
    Pick up a pen or pencil and bash something out without worrying about it.  I try and draw/paint something every day since this thing started and posted a couple on here which people were very kind about, and I don't  know what I'm doing but always feel better for it.
    I find a stiff drink helps one not worry if it's 'wrong' or 'doesn't look like it'.
    Have a go, it's good for you.
  • This fella does a good quiz. It's on again tonight @ 7PM

https://m.facebook.com/quizhire.co.uk/
  • Photographing items for the Museum website

Watching Netflix

Clearing out the loft for the plumber to fit a new boiler.

Reading CL

My son is still at Uni. Him and house mates are watching all the Harry Potter movies, one a night.
    Not sure if this has been commented on previous pages, but the last place I would stick a boiler is in the loft.
    From a maintenance perspective, I would double a call out fee if it meant getting in the loft.
    For a vital asset in the bungalow/house, I would want to access it without too much difficulty.
    Not having a pop, but might want to consider relocating?
  • ROTW said:
    Photographing items for the Museum website

Watching Netflix

Reading CL

My son is still at Uni. Him and house mates are watching all the Harry Potter movies, one a night.
    Not sure if this has been commented on previous pages, but the last place I would stick a boiler is in the loft.
    From a maintenance perspective, I would double a call out fee if it meant getting in the loft.
    For a vital asset in the bungalow/house, I would want to access it without too much difficulty.
    When we bought our current place the boiler was in the loft . We signed a care package with British gas and the first time they came they insisted it was boarded before they would touch it then another time they wouldn’t go up because of a wasps nest.
    It’s now in the kitchen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fumbluff said:
    ROTW said:
    Photographing items for the Museum website

Watching Netflix

Reading CL

When we bought our current place the boiler was in the loft . We signed a care package with British gas and the first time they came they insisted it was boarded before they would touch it then another time they wouldn’t go up because of a wasps nest.
    It’s now in the kitchen.
    The wasps nest?
    No, that constant drone from the kitchen is the mrs.
  • Duggee and the lockdown badge, painted for the baby's room 

• Does anyone have a link to those picture games? 

Usually you get a huge picture and say for eg the theme is rock bands or tube stations and you have to find them 
  • shine166 said:
    Duggee and the lockdown badge, painted for the baby's room 

Had to get those geometric lines in there ! 
  • Yesterday, to my surprise, Mrs AUN suggested a new game that she devised after our daughter moved home at the start of all this. Who’d have thought a trip to a garden centre could be bettered by a game of Hide the Sausage:Shed Edition? Sunday’s will never be the same again.
  • I set myself the challenge today of finding a way to play some fun games across households and think I have cracked it. There is a small cost but the games are fun. Basically, some people will have heard of Jackbox games. This company produces games where you use your phone as an individual device feeding into a big screen.

What I wanted to do was be able to stream the big screen so people didn't have to download anything. The solution to this is a programme called discord. It is free and you can create a server where you can stream from you laptop. The server has an address and people can access this stream by typing in an address.

Then with access to the big screen, they play each other via their mobile phones. There are a variety of games that can be purchased in packs or single games. To download them, you need to set up a steam account if you don't already have one. This is free but most of the games have a cost. To get the best value, you can buy a code on ebay. I bought Drawful2 for under £2.50 and Party pack 2 for under £10. It took a couple of hours for the codes to come through and these allow you to download the games via steam.

Then you have your discord account open and create a server. You will get a server address/link which you can e-mail or text to your family or friends who are playing elswhere. You open the game and you can stream the game screen. Basically, anybody with the link can watch the game screen via laptop or smart TV etc... Then as with all the jackbox games a code is created on the big screen which you can link to via your phone via the jackbox site (basically google jackbox tv on your phone to find it). Each player enters their name and code and they appear on the big screen and can play the game.

The games are easy to play, not too long and pretty funny. Anyway if anybody was wondering how they might interact in this way with friends and family this is worth a try. If you have any issues I will try to resolve them for you.   
  • Think I’ll mow the lawn.
  • I’ve ordered an airfix spitfire to keep me occupied. Used to love making them when I was a kid, if this one doesn’t get thrown across the room in frustration, I’ll get a couple more to make and hang from the garage ceiling. 
  • edited April 2020
    An idea for a small quizzers group. 

Set up the quiz group on PCs. 

Record a few Pointless programs and whizz through taking photos of the before and after boards. Form a Whatsapp group of the competitors and send the (before) boards out giving each competitor the chance to go first (say) three times 2nd three times and third three times (to keep it fair).  

Anyway sounds a bit convoluting but worked ok for me recently. I awarded 0 points for best answer, 1 point for second and 2 for third.  Smallest points total won it ... obviously. 

Alternatively just send out the boards and let everyone shout out their answer whilst getting drunk. That works too  :)