Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bored? Any tips to make social isolation more bearable?

Comments

• Options
    8. Tottenham Hotspurs
  • Options
    Gargling with brandy may help alleviate some of the boredom even if it may not be advisable for many other reasons (including overloading the NHS with liver issues).

more seriously I’ve spent some time trying to work out what to do with my tiny garden and can recommend finding some seeds to grow (fortunately we already have seed trays) and what plants I would buy if I could get them. Currently Claire Austin perrenials are hoping to deliver in 7-10 working days noting that this may change. 

My mum has an order pending as her birthday present from me, they have some fantastic plants if that’s your bag, or you could get into it.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I've been playing a lot of online chess. It's free and good for your brain. 
    On-line pawn.
    I’ll move my bishop into the space behind your queen.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I've been playing a lot of online chess. It's free and good for your brain. 
    On-line pawn.
    I’ll move my bishop into the space behind your queen.
    If you move your knight you can fork him.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
  • Options
    sporcle.com plenty of quizzes covering many subjects.
  • Options
    Premier League Pub Quiz run by James Allcott every Sunday at 18:00 on Youtube channel. 

The first one is here already 5 rounds 38 points up for grabs.

Round One Multiple Choice
    Round Two Who Am I?
    Round Three What Happens Next?
    Round Four Connect The Dots
    Round Five Miscellaneous Round

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1649850
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    sporcle.com plenty of quizzes covering many subjects.
    Got any good/useful ones? I enjoyed memorising the US states last week thanks to a link from a lifer on this thread
  • Options
    Name all the countries in the world, about 195 answers.

Name all the teams in the four major US sports.

I'm not asking this on here as a question just saying what's on Sporcle.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Three mates and I played online poker on Friday night. Through Poker Stars you can set up a private table.
    Combining this with a Zoom video conference call and a few beers - great entertainment.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
  • Options
    If you're bored, take thé COVID19 Haircut Challenge. See my post on the thread entitled 'Hair?' 
  • Options
    You could do what dogs do when stuck at home all day long, chew the furniture.
  • Options
    JJ is working hard on his impressions. Here is his Sergei the Meerkat?
  • Options
    Or it could be Tommy Cooper!
  • Options
    Virtual pub quiz just about to start for anyone interested. On YouTube
  • Options
    We played You are the ref game the other night. The answers were more inconsistent than the refs we get.I lost and my wife finished on the same number of points as me..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All this video conferencing, I see mates more regularly now than I did before the lock down.  Long for a night in front of the box doing nothing!
  • Options
    Anyone play board games online against mates etc?

If so, any recommendations on decent apps or sites?

Nothing too complicated, thinking chess, monopoly etc maybe, but a good selection would be decent too.
    @Nor@"North Lower Neil"

Board game arena is yer go to

Steam works, too

Enjoy!
  • Options

Nothing too complicated, thinking chess, monopoly etc maybe, but a good selection would be decent too.
    Did you find anything of note as i'd also be interested? Into my third week of lockdown over here, bored with netflix and (not surprisingly) the mrs won't let me play Football Manager all day.
  • Options
    Is there still any place to buy a "Home Gym?" ...... I've reached my max with theraband and pilates ring workouts now, and seeking alternatives, if they exist.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    You can get them from Argos, but whether they've got them in stock where you are, and how long the delivery will take remains to be seen
  • Options

Did you find anything of note as i'd also be interested? Into my third week of lockdown over here, bored with netflix and (not surprisingly) the mrs won't let me play Football Manager all day.
    Not yet!
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    You can get them from Argos, but whether they've got them in stock where you are, and how long the delivery will take remains to be seen
    Unfortunately none in stock or available for delivery, or collection :neutral:
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Is there still any place to buy a "Home Gym?" ...... I've reached my max with theraband and pilates ring workouts now, and seeking alternatives, if they exist.
    I was amazed by the lack of options on Amazon - started looking before lockdown. Went into Argos and it was all out of stock and all sports direct has was a 10kg Kettle bell for £50.

I've been making do with various household/garden items. For example, the lawnmower and our ladder make good alternatives. Even got a bag of compost to do squats with! 
  • Options
    Walloped out the hall,stairs and landing today...bus mans holiday. 
    I've Got to keep busy,not one for sitting around. 
  • Options
    Spyhole on history of your local streets etc. Change the map by clicking on 'show search panel

This is set to sometime between 1892 - 1914, and scales well against the background map, set to 'bing road':

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/spy/#zoom=16.563677609214107&lat=51.48625&lon=0.03309&layers=168&b=3&r=42