Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Blackburn | Sat 15 Feb | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Sage said:
    What is interesting is that Blackburn are useless on the turnover in possession in their favour. They’re a team who gradually build rather than look to hurt teams on the break. So much so, they’ve not scored a single goal all season from a counter-attack.

As long as we stay in an organised and compact shape defensively, we can limit their strengths in possession and really cause them trouble going the other way, especially if we manage to successfully execute the high press. 
    are you the guy who edits the opponents matches for bowyer etc to analyse? - serious question - you have a lot of detailed information 
  • Can't wait to get to the game. Valley buzzing and I'm predicting a goal fest with Charlton winning 4-0
  • edited February 2020
    Hope you get remunerated for your efforts @ForeverAddickted if not you need to think about copyright and employing an agent, nudge, nudge 😉.
  • Nice that the Blackburn poster mentioned the £5 ticket offer. 
  • Buzzing for today,  got lockyer 1st or last goal 80/1 each .. so 1-0 will do me !
  • edited February 2020
    We know today is going to be windy. The architecture of stadiums affect how the wind will behave on the pitch depending on its direction. We should have a historical knowledge of how high winds impact at the Valley which could help us tactically. Having said that, I have been going for decades and can't recall. :) 
  • Two games against Blackburn Rovers have stayed with me all my life.

26th April 1958 Blackburn at home. All we needed was 1 point, (a draw), to see us make an immediate return to Division 1 after relegation the previous season. Blackburn needed a win (2 points) to take our place and win promotion for themselves. Result CAFC 3 Blackburn 4. Massive crowd; I was a devastated 12 year old. Connie Francis sang "Who's Sorry Now" over the loudspeakers as the shocked loyal fans emptied the ground numbed by the shock of what they had just witnessed. 

Then, on 29th March 1987 we met in the final of the Full Members Cup at Wembley. Had to go. "When will we ever see Charlton at Wembley again" my brother said.  Result CAFC 0 Blackburn 1. One of the most boring games I have ever seen and they scored in the last 5 minutes. Since then I have always considered Blackburn as our "bogey team". 

They are in good form at present and still have a good chance to qualify for the Playoffs. I can't help feeling that our elation following the amazing result against Nottingham Forest in the week could be short lived and we might witness our bogey team having the last laugh, again.

I  truly, truly, truly hope my fears are unfounded.

Come on Charlton, give me some sweet revenge for the years of gloom Blackburn saddled me with way back when. 

(PS I know we beat them at theirs early in the season but it did not have the gravitas of the two games mentioned above).  
    I remember being there. Was 15 and sat on the stands floor in tears when their goal went in. Colin Hendry if I remember rightly and a Johnny Humphries mistake.

Never thought I'd see us at Wembley again but was lucky to be there in '98 and 2019.

I'd take a draw today though. 1-1.
  • I recall that Wembley game. I used to work with a bloke who left to be a copper. There was standing in those days and I had a ticket in a section that wasn't the best view wise. I was reading the programme and felt a hand come down on my shoulder, 'Police Gotcha!' I nearly crapped myself when I saw the police uniform. It was my ex colleague. We had a chat and he asked if I would rather watch more centrally. I said yes and he marched me into a better section, and pushed me in like I was a hooligan telling the stewards at the door to 'let him in'.

I later saw him at a West Ham away game when the police come over towards the end of the game to stop us invading the pitch. I saw him there. All the fans were giving them dogs abuse and we had a sly laugh at each other.
  • Sponsored links:

• Will be an absolute shite game if it’s really windy 
  • Sage said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Sage said:
    What is interesting is that Blackburn are useless on the turnover in possession in their favour. They’re a team who gradually build rather than look to hurt teams on the break. So much so, they’ve not scored a single goal all season from a counter-attack.

As long as we stay in an organised and compact shape defensively, we can limit their strengths in possession and really cause them trouble going the other way, especially if we manage to successfully execute the high press. 
    are you the guy who edits the opponents matches for bowyer etc to analyse? - serious question - you have a lot of detailed information 
    No, I’m not Brett Shaw.

I done parts of performance analysis during my time at undergraduate doing my sports science degree. But overall, I just love football and take a keen interest in our opposition.

I look at their individual and collective strengths, weaknesses, style of play, changes they make to their personnel, how they score goals, concede goals, how they press and whether it’s successful, how well do they keep possession, do they track runners from midfield, how do they cope in turnover situations, when at a game I watch how they warm up too, you’d be surprised how big of a difference that makes to performance. I do look at more things that crop up during matches and highlights, and as well as using current statistic sites such as soccerstats and whoscored, I do my own analysis on top through SPSS.

Some have said I’m obsessive, others have said they find it fascinating. It’s just how I am.

Sorry everyone for taking over this little part of the thread. 
    I've always been curious how you manage to get such good analysis ahead of the opposition when you do your own Match Previews

Is it simply a case of watching a number of the highlight packages to see where their goals for / goals conceded are coming from? - Also for the stupid whats SPSS?
  • Blackburn fans really impressed with the £5 offer and quite critical of their own owners on their attempts to do similar. They also seem to be hoping for a win but not expecting one. Surprised given their position in the league which suggests that they aren’t playing great football 
  • Will be an absolute shite game if it’s really windy 
    Windy?  Will I need to bring a jacket?
  • ...and we now go live over to The Valley for our build up to today's game and the thoughts of @ForeverAddickted

In other news it appears that an unexpected cold front moved in over parts of Hull yesterday. 
    Very odd comment to pick, that makes it sound like I think we're playing away this weekend
     Law of averages says some Lifers will be 😉.
  • edited February 2020
    ...and we now go live over to The Valley for our build up to today's game and the thoughts of @ForeverAddickted

In other news it appears that an unexpected cold front moved in over parts of Hull yesterday. 
    Very odd comment to pick, that makes it sound like I think we're playing away this weekend
    Can't believe they didn't pick my 0-5 defeat prediction.  Disappointed.

I see even without Mowbray Boro are still saying "we should be beating (teams like) these"
  • 2 - 1 scrappy game due to weather but Taylor really fired up by big crowd.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2020
    Convincing win would be nice. But this is Charlton of course. I see over the last 6 games Blackburn have scored 12 and conceded 4 - which includes their 3-0 against Hull, and a 5-0 away win at the Massives ( which was against 10 men for 70 mins, and included goals in first half injury time and injury time at the end, as well as an og.)

Comfortable win would be nice but I think 2-1 to us- Bonne and Taylor.
  • ...and we now go live over to The Valley for our build up to today's game and the thoughts of @ForeverAddickted

So the "i" looked for the most intelligent and insightful poster on Charlton Life for a comment

But sadly he told them to **** off, so they had to use @ForeverAddickted instead :D
  • Tough game today in what will be unpredictable weather conditions.  Just hoping that we can perform and take the 3 points.  Wouldn't be too disappointed with a draw if we can follow up next week with a win.  

As we all know,  nothing is guaranteed in this bonkers division. 
  • Sage said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Sage said:

No, I’m not Brett Shaw.

I done parts of performance analysis during my time at undergraduate doing my sports science degree. But overall, I just love football and take a keen interest in our opposition.

I look at their individual and collective strengths, weaknesses, style of play, changes they make to their personnel, how they score goals, concede goals, how they press and whether it’s successful, how well do they keep possession, do they track runners from midfield, how do they cope in turnover situations, when at a game I watch how they warm up too, you’d be surprised how big of a difference that makes to performance. I do look at more things that crop up during matches and highlights, and as well as using current statistic sites such as soccerstats and whoscored, I do my own analysis on top through SPSS.

Some have said I’m obsessive, others have said they find it fascinating. It’s just how I am.

Sorry everyone for taking over this little part of the thread. 
    I've always been curious how you manage to get such good analysis ahead of the opposition when you do your own Match Previews

Is it simply a case of watching a number of the highlight packages to see where their goals for / goals conceded are coming from? - Also for the stupid whats SPSS?
    Yeah, I try to access as many highlights and video footage as possible. Sometimes that’s clips on Twitter, YouTube, football shows like Quest, Sky Sports, and other extended bits of play thag I can get my hands onto. Not just from their previous handful of games, but throughout the season. I have tried to get things from previous seasons too if the manager of the club is still the same, but it’s a lot harder to do that nowadays.

But it’s more than just watching. It’s taking a deep dive and analysing, it’s using the software to see how successful and how likely a specific situation is to happen. To test whether it’s a one off or if there’s a significant or reasonable chance of it happening again. That’s just the little part I do on top of the information I have. Of course, it can be skewed for a number of reasons. Examples being if like us beforehand, teams have a lot of first team players out or due to the nature of the unpredictability of the league. But it forms a gauge of analysis and quantitative data to support my qualitative opinion/findings.

SPSS stands for Statistical Package for Social Sciences. It’s essentially a statistics programme that you can run hundreds of different tests on. Lots of videos of YouTube can explain it far better than me.
  • I've got 2 spare tickets for today in the EAST STAND if anyone wants?? ?
      Email soundheartltd@gmail.com

• Post on the spares thread,  there are people looking for tickets. 
  • My turn to miss today. Hate missing home games, but the £5 nonsense games normally leave me more narked than uplifted so I’m glad it’s this one. 

A win today would be huge for us. Fingers crossed everyone 
  • My turn to miss today. Hate missing home games, but the £5 nonsense games normally leave me more narked than uplifted so I’m glad it’s this one. 

A win today would be huge for us. Fingers crossed everyone 
    Whipped emoji! ;)