Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Phillip Schofield

Comments

• Options
    That is how I see it. It shouldn't be a big deal if somebody is Gay, Bi or Straight today. I can't see how it is so brave. It clearly won't have a negative effect on his career and nor should it. My point is, and I accept he has said his wife and kids are fine with it, but it suggests the family life he had, and they were part of was a sham. Maybe after 27 years it is something he could have kept to himself. And the only relevance this has to his sexuality is the suggestion about his relationship with his wife.

The fact we have no gay out professional footballers in this country is a disgrace. It shames our sport as even if the percentages are lower and accepting many will deem their sexuality to be personal, there has to be a significant number of gay players and a fear of being gay in the football world. It is a case of the industry not be a welcoming place for gay players, and as fans we are part of that, whereas this is not really an issue in show business.  

Might be a minority in football who are bothered about homosexuality but obviously exert a considerable influence. Greg Clarke at Torquay Utd is the only openly gay player and from what I know has had relatively little abuse.
    It's Liam Davis, and he's had no trouble at all. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/12/18/openly-gay-footballer-liam-davis-have-not-had-one-problem-football/
    He came out in 2014 and says in the article that there were 20 openly gay pros across Europe who were ready to come out. So where are they? He only came out because he was accidentally "outed" by a local paper and wasn't a high profile player when he did.

• Options
    his sexuality is his and his family's business - a non news item
    It's the headline news and it was Philip that put it out on social media and on live TV.
  • Options
    That is how I see it. It shouldn't be a big deal if somebody is Gay, Bi or Straight today. I can't see how it is so brave. It clearly won't have a negative effect on his career and nor should it. My point is, and I accept he has said his wife and kids are fine with it, but it suggests the family life he had, and they were part of was a sham. Maybe after 27 years it is something he could have kept to himself. And the only relevance this has to his sexuality is the suggestion about his relationship with his wife.

The fact we have no gay out professional footballers in this country is a disgrace. It shames our sport as even if the percentages are lower and accepting many will deem their sexuality to be personal, there has to be a significant number of gay players and a fear of being gay in the football world. It is a case of the industry not be a welcoming place for gay players, and as fans we are part of that, whereas this is not really an issue in show business.  

Might be a minority in football who are bothered about homosexuality but obviously exert a considerable influence. Greg Clarke at Torquay Utd is the only openly gay player and from what I know has had relatively little abuse.
    It's Liam Davis, and he's had no trouble at all. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/12/18/openly-gay-footballer-liam-davis-have-not-had-one-problem-football/
    He came out in 2014 and says in the article that there were 20 openly gay pros across Europe who were ready to come out. So where are they? He only came out because he was accidentally "outed" by a local paper and wasn't a high profile player when he did.

Apologies - cut and pasted name of FA chairmen not the player. In terms of high profile gay players it's unlikely that anyone will 'out' them deliberately. Davis says he'd never hidden the fact that he was gay.

I am still surprised that nobody has come out as gay in the English game as I imagine it would lead to many marketing/PR opportunities. Difficult to be the first one.
  • Options
    until the press release about his sexuality 
  • Options
    It's the headline news and it was Philip that put it out on social media and on live TV.
    yes but why do these minor celebrities assume that I am inetersted in their lives - I'm not!
  • Options
    Only a gay man could sit next to Holly Willoughby for all those years without a boner 
    He probably did have a boner - doesn't the fact that he was married with kids make him bi-sexual, not gay?
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    Only a gay man could sit next to Holly Willoughby for all those years without a boner 
    He probably did have a boner - doesn't the fact that he was married with kids make him bi-sexual, not gay?
    No
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    yes but why do these minor celebrities assume that I am inetersted in their lives - I'm not!
    Yet here you are, on this thread. :wink:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Rizzo said:
    As none of us are married to him or otherwise affected by this 'revelation', who gives a toss?
    I think it’s very sad that people still feel the need to hide their sexuality and live what must be a very difficult and frustrating life. Wouldn’t it be nice if everyone felt comfortable to be whatever they want without the scrutiny and judgement of society. Clearly that’s still not the case. Rights for LGBT have advanced incredibly over the last few years but until this is a completely non subject we are not where we need to be. 
    But who has he been hiding his sexuality from? 

It might have been fairly recent that he realised he was gay. And it's not as if it would make much difference to how much TV work he'd get, considering how much work the likes of Graham Norton, Rylan, Judge Rinder, Alan Carr, Sue Perkins, Clare Balding etc get, and all on mainstream TV too
    He only recently realised he was gay ?

I've never heard of that before, every gay person I've heard speak on the matter have known from either young childhood or teenage years at the latest.

I'm happy to be corrected.

Anyway, he implied that his wife Steph has always known, as "we've never had any secrets".
    I've spoken to some gay people who've said they discovered their sexuality in later life - it's possible some of them knew from a much younger age but find it hard to admit. The world has changed massively over the last 20 to 30 years which hopefully enables people to accept themselves and be accepted by othets.
    exactly hoof it.

I used to like Man Utd
    I then started going Charlton and liked both

we got promoted to div one and when Mark Stuart scored at Old Trafford I realised I liked Charlton more.
    What's scoring got to do with it?
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    He pretended his Mrs was a bricklayer called John the nights the kids were conceived 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don’t know why I’m commenting..... 

if I was any less interested in PIP SCHO.... I would Be medically dead. 
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Rizzo said:
    As none of us are married to him or otherwise affected by this 'revelation', who gives a toss?
    I think it’s very sad that people still feel the need to hide their sexuality and live what must be a very difficult and frustrating life. Wouldn’t it be nice if everyone felt comfortable to be whatever they want without the scrutiny and judgement of society. Clearly that’s still not the case. Rights for LGBT have advanced incredibly over the last few years but until this is a completely non subject we are not where we need to be. 
    But who has he been hiding his sexuality from? 

It might have been fairly recent that he realised he was gay. And it's not as if it would make much difference to how much TV work he'd get, considering how much work the likes of Graham Norton, Rylan, Judge Rinder, Alan Carr, Sue Perkins, Clare Balding etc get, and all on mainstream TV too
    He only recently realised he was gay ?

I've never heard of that before, every gay person I've heard speak on the matter have known from either young childhood or teenage years at the latest.

I'm happy to be corrected.

Anyway, he implied that his wife Steph has always known, as "we've never had any secrets".
    I've spoken to some gay people who've said they discovered their sexuality in later life - it's possible some of them knew from a much younger age but find it hard to admit. The world has changed massively over the last 20 to 30 years which hopefully enables people to accept themselves and be accepted by othets.
    exactly hoof it.

I used to like Man Utd
    I then started going Charlton and liked both

we got promoted to div one and when Mark Stuart scored at Old Trafford I realised I liked Charlton more.
    What's scoring got to do with it?
    because I had said to my friends, I wasn't sure how I would react when one of them scored, was I a Man U fan who liked Charlton or a Charlton fan with a soft spot for Man U but when Stuart scored I went mental like everyone else
  • Options
    Following Schofield's revelation, I expect that the son of Graham Carr, the former footballer, manager and scout will now finally come out.

And when he does I'm sure it will please his Dad no end to learn that Alan has at last let the world know that he, too, has been living a life of pretence and admit that he can actually play football after all.
    Thought he was out
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    Following Schofield's revelation, I expect that the son of Graham Carr, the former footballer, manager and scout will now finally come out.

And when he does I'm sure it will please his Dad no end to learn that Alan has at last let the world know that he, too, has been living a life of pretence and admit that he can actually play football after all.
    Thought he was out
    He was and is married to a man. My joke about him coming out as a footballer clearly bypassed you - and everyone else judging by the lack of LOLs.

I must try harder!
  • Options
    The daughters shouldn't care on the condition their mum knew. 

If the mum knew, I cannot see any major issue. Maybe he is receiving too much credit, but at the same time I don't think he should be put down. 
    He's been receiving something.
  • Options

If the mum knew, I cannot see any major issue. Maybe he is receiving too much credit, but at the same time I don't think he should be put down. 
    Done for receiving swollen goods?
  • Options

Round the back door
  • Options

Round the back door
    Have we gone back to the 1970s?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm sure Phillip will share more in the future about his story for those who are interested. 
    Yes, almost certainly it will be in one of those weird, voyeuristic "celebrity" magazines.

That probably followed by a book published just in time for next Christmas.

Why did he feel the need to share it with us if not in expectation of the arrival of some nice fat cheques? 

People who think they are so important that, without so much as a by your leave, find it necessary to share the minutiae of their humdrum existence are just rather tedious aren't they?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    I'm sure Phillip will share more in the future about his story for those who are interested. 
    Yes, almost certainly it will be in one of those weird, voyeuristic "celebrity" magazines.

That probably followed by a book published just in time for next Christmas.

Why did he feel the need to share it with us if not in expectation of the arrival of some nice fat cheques? 

People who think they are so important that, without so much as a by your leave, find it necessary to share the minutiae of their humdrum existence are just rather tedious aren't they?
    His morning chat show is about sharing experiences so on that basis I expect him to talk more about his personal history. It might help someone out there who isn't a celebrity but is in a difficult position.

• Options

Round the back door
    It's a joke.  
  • Options

Round the back door
    It's a joke.  
    So was my comment about it - retro humour.
  • Options
    Happy to be shot down and genuinely dont give a toss about his sexuality,  but good timing for his career given his golden halo had started to slip recently. Strikes me as a very clever man who no doubt has had inner demons to sort, but to reveal this just when he might be shipped on, makes him untouchable for a while. Can't see an ITV executive sacking him through fear of backlash about his revelation.

Yes, i'm cynic of the highest order.
  • Options
    Not bothered about whether he's gay or not, but do feel sorry for his wife. Even if she's known about it for a while, it's not what she'll have signed up for when they got married, and is likely to cast a shadow over any future relationship she might try to pursue.
  • Options
    Happy to be shot down and genuinely dont give a toss about his sexuality,  but good timing for his career given his golden halo had started to slip recently. Strikes me as a very clever man who no doubt has had inner demons to sort, but to reveal this just when he might be shipped on, makes him untouchable for a while. Can't see an ITV executive sacking him through fear of backlash about his revelation.

Yes, i'm cynic of the highest order.
    Quality cynicism.
  • Options
    I'm going to be controversial here.
    Why is he being celebrated for lying for 27 years of marriage, wasting a big chunk of his wife's life and living a lie? Nothing brave about that at all.

I agree, but I think it’s one of those ‘if you haven’t been through it..’ things that people on here love.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    JaShea99 said:
    Why is he being celebrated for lying for 27 years of marriage, wasting a big chunk of his wife's life and living a lie? Nothing brave about that at all.

I agree, but I think it’s one of those ‘if you haven’t been through it..’ things that people on here love.
    When did he realise he was gay? When did he lie to his wife? Can you offer a quote on what his wife said about feeling as though she’s wasted 27 years? 

Presumably you and @CharltonByBlood know the answers to those questions? 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    JaShea99 said:

When did he realise he was gay? When did he lie to his wife? Can you offer a quote on what his wife said about feeling as though she’s wasted 27 years? 

Presumably you and @CharltonByBlood know the answers to those questions? 
    What? How the hell would I know those answers??