Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Phillip Schofield

Comments

• Rizzo said:
    As none of us are married to him or otherwise affected by this 'revelation', who gives a toss?
    I think it’s very sad that people still feel the need to hide their sexuality and live what must be a very difficult and frustrating life. Wouldn’t it be nice if everyone felt comfortable to be whatever they want without the scrutiny and judgement of society. Clearly that’s still not the case. Rights for LGBT have advanced incredibly over the last few years but until this is a completely non subject we are not where we need to be. 
    But who has he been hiding his sexuality from? 

It might have been fairly recent that he realised he was gay. And it's not as if it would make much difference to how much TV work he'd get, considering how much work the likes of Graham Norton, Rylan, Judge Rinder, Alan Carr, Sue Perkins, Clare Balding etc get, and all on mainstream TV too
    He only recently realised he was gay ?

I've never heard of that before, every gay person I've heard speak on the matter have known from either young childhood or teenage years at the latest.

I'm happy to be corrected.

Anyway, he implied that his wife Steph has always known, as "we've never had any secrets".
    I've spoken to some gay people who've said they discovered their sexuality in later life - it's possible some of them knew from a much younger age but find it hard to admit. The world has changed massively over the last 20 to 30 years which hopefully enables people to accept themselves and be accepted by othets.
  • Rizzo said:
    As none of us are married to him or otherwise affected by this 'revelation', who gives a toss?
    I think it’s very sad that people still feel the need to hide their sexuality and live what must be a very difficult and frustrating life. Wouldn’t it be nice if everyone felt comfortable to be whatever they want without the scrutiny and judgement of society. Clearly that’s still not the case. Rights for LGBT have advanced incredibly over the last few years but until this is a completely non subject we are not where we need to be. 

It might have been fairly recent that he realised he was gay. And it's not as if it would make much difference to how much TV work he'd get, considering how much work the likes of Graham Norton, Rylan, Judge Rinder, Alan Carr, Sue Perkins, Clare Balding etc get, and all on mainstream TV too

I've never heard of that before, every gay person I've heard speak on the matter have known from either young childhood or teenage years at the latest.

Anyway, he implied that his wife Steph has always known, as "we've never had any secrets".
    I've spoken to some gay people who've said they discovered their sexuality in later life - it's possible some of them knew from a much younger age but find it hard to admit. The world has changed massively over the last 20 to 30 years which hopefully enables people to accept themselves and be accepted by othets.
    Quite, I think they know deep down, even if they do not want to admit it or act on upon it.
    I'm confident a large amount of people never act upon it.
  • Rizzo said:

exactly hoof it.

I used to like Man Utd
    I then started going Charlton and liked both

we got promoted to div one and when Mark Stuart scored at Old Trafford I realised I liked Charlton more.
  • Excellent...   more chuff for us red bloodied Hetros!

Only joking BTW,  who gives a fuck in this day and age?

• Addickted said:
    It's 2020.

I mean really, who the feck cares what you get up to or how you want to be labelled?
    If it were that easy to come out we'd have had any number of English pro footballers that would have done so by now
    Or maybe there are incredibly few gay sportsmen?

After all once retired, why wouldn't a gay footballer then come out, especially if they weren't coaching any more (if they were worried about the dressing room)?

• Im amazed to find out that he was married.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Rizzo said:

exactly hoof it.

I used to like Man Utd
    I then started going Charlton and liked both

we got promoted to div one and when Mark Stuart scored at Old Trafford I realised I liked Charlton more.
    well done Eamon
  • Addickted said:
    It's 2020.

I mean really, who the feck cares what you get up to or how you want to be labelled?
    If it were that easy to come out we'd have had any number of English pro footballers that would have done so by now

After all once retired, why wouldn't a gay footballer then come out, especially if they weren't coaching any more (if they were worried about the dressing room)?

A lot more women sports stars are openly gay.
  • Im amazed to find out that he was married.
    camouflage dear boy, camouflage ((:>)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2020
    Addickted said:
    It's 2020.

I can't believe you think that.
    Perhaps 10% of the population are gay, except gay sportsmen who are incredibly few ?
  • Addickted said:
    It's 2020.

A lot more women sports stars are openly gay.

Because genereally men like the idea of lesbians a hell of a lot more than the thought of gay men
  • Addickted said:
    It's 2020.

They might be only a few but I think it's safe to say that there is at least one gay English footballer - but the fear of abuse from the opposition fans and players plus a worry that there will be a general non acceptance. Perhaps they don't want to be that target or seen as "different".

Both Justin Fashanu and far more recently Thomas Hitlzsperger came out after they retired. The rugby player, Gareth Thomas, did so a matter of months before he retired but, perhaps, the bravest to do so was he cricketer Steven Davies who did so when he was in his prime at 25.

Once a high profile English player does do so whilst playing I'm sure that others will follow. But it will take that one. 
  • Holly is so overrated 
  • Pardon the pun
  • What about his,poor wife and kids. That has got.to be the ultimate kick in the teeth for any.woman...one thing your old man cheating on you but would rather be with an Aurther than a Mather 
  • Fair play to him. Got a wife and kids, so must have been horrible.
    Now is a good time if you want to tell us something Gary 😉
    I dont have a wife...
    Husband?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2020
    About to be named in Fern Brittons divorce.

.....And Ruth Langford's impending one!
  • What about his,poor wife and kids. That has got.to be the ultimate kick in the teeth for any.woman...one thing your old man cheating on you but would rather be with an Aurther than a Mather 
    I doubt the kids are that bothered?
  • I'm going to be controversial here.
    Why is he being celebrated for lying for 27 years of marriage, wasting a big chunk of his wife's life and living a lie? Nothing brave about that at all.

What if his wife knew and stayed with him anyway? 
  • edited February 2020
    I'm going to be controversial here.
    Why is he being celebrated for lying for 27 years of marriage, wasting a big chunk of his wife's life and living a lie? Nothing brave about that at all.

Guilt trip. I heard he's quite religious.

He needed to finally tell the truth if he wants to stand any chance of going to Heaven

......Charing cross!

To be fair only he can answer this - you would hope he's been honest with his wife.

To be fair only he can answer this - you would hope he's been honest with his wife.
     I'm guessing his wife had an inckling?
  • edited February 2020
    Difficult one for me to understand. 

I see him as bisexual given his coming out, he labels himself gay. I think that must be horrible for his wife and difficult for his daughter to accept his 'truth'.

Very difficult for all affected. Should not matter to anyone but those affected, but his choice to come out may help others. 
  • edited February 2020
    I am not up with current sexual politics and terminology as an old git and Mr Schofield's bedroom habits are of no interest to me other than raising a bigger topic.

How can somebody be gay if they have given birth to or fathered children naturally conceived? I understand that they could be bisexual if they are also attracted to their own sex as well as the opposite but my understanding of the sexual meaning of the word 'gay' is an exclusive attraction to one's own sex.

@SoundAsa£ made a similar point and is another old git like me.

Perhaps one of you 'right on' youngsters can explain how he is gay and not bisexual as it does not make logical sense to me.

I'm guessing his wife had an inckling?
    Possible she's known for ages - maybe they just kept it quiet?