Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Phillip Schofield

Comments

• edited February 2020
    I'm going to be controversial here.
    Why is he being celebrated for lying for 27 years of marriage, wasting a big chunk of his wife's life and living a lie? Nothing brave about that at all.
     My post that I have edited was along these lines. 

I don't understand the celebration of all these years lying. However it may help other people come out that have been struggling with their lifelong lies. 

I suppose it's for the best and it seems he's working through it with those that are affected directly.

It's neither brave to come out and it wasn't selfish to force himself to live a lie to keep a happy family.
  • edited February 2020
  • It strikes me as a little bit selfish, Nothing to do with his sexuality, i'd feel the same if he was in his late 50s and in a gay relationship for 27 years with children and come out as straight.  
  • edited February 2020
    LenGlover said:
    I am not up with current sexual politics and terminology as an old git and Mr Schofield's bedroom habits are of no interest to me other than raising a bigger topic.

How can somebody be gay if they have given birth to or fathered children naturally conceived? I understand that they could be bisexual if they are also attracted to their own sex as well as the opposite but my understanding of the sexual meaning of the word 'gay' is an exclusive attraction to one's own sex.

@SoundAsa£ made a similar point and is another old git like me.

Perhaps one of you 'right on' youngsters can explain how he is gay and not bisexual as it does not make logical sense to me.

I don't think people get to label others sexuality in this modern 'woke' world. However people are allowed to label their sexuality themselves. 

I agree he does seem to me to be a bisexual man, there's no shame either way. He's not in charge of it, it simply is just who he finds attractive. 

• MrOneLung said:
    Rizzo said:
    As none of us are married to him or otherwise affected by this 'revelation', who gives a toss?
    I think it’s very sad that people still feel the need to hide their sexuality and live what must be a very difficult and frustrating life. Wouldn’t it be nice if everyone felt comfortable to be whatever they want without the scrutiny and judgement of society. Clearly that’s still not the case. Rights for LGBT have advanced incredibly over the last few years but until this is a completely non subject we are not where we need to be. 
    But who has he been hiding his sexuality from? 

It might have been fairly recent that he realised he was gay. And it's not as if it would make much difference to how much TV work he'd get, considering how much work the likes of Graham Norton, Rylan, Judge Rinder, Alan Carr, Sue Perkins, Clare Balding etc get, and all on mainstream TV too
    He only recently realised he was gay ?

I've never heard of that before, every gay person I've heard speak on the matter have known from either young childhood or teenage years at the latest.

I'm happy to be corrected.

Anyway, he implied that his wife Steph has always known, as "we've never had any secrets".
    I've spoken to some gay people who've said they discovered their sexuality in later life - it's possible some of them knew from a much younger age but find it hard to admit. The world has changed massively over the last 20 to 30 years which hopefully enables people to accept themselves and be accepted by othets.
    exactly hoof it.

I used to like Man Utd
    I then started going Charlton and liked both

we got promoted to div one and when Mark Stuart scored at Old Trafford I realised I liked Charlton more.
    Is there something you want to tell us. It’s ok. We’re all friends here 😉
  • I'm going to be controversial here.
    Why is he being celebrated for lying for 27 years of marriage, wasting a big chunk of his wife's life and living a lie? Nothing brave about that at all.

But we don’t know any of that. How can you say he’s wasted 27 years of his wife’s life ? He says she’s always known. They seem happy and he has two grown up daughters who I presume love him to bits.
  • The daughters shouldn't care on the condition their mum knew. 

If the mum knew, I cannot see any major issue. Maybe he is receiving too much credit, but at the same time I don't think he should be put down. 
  • Addickted said:
    It's 2020.

I mean really, who the feck cares what you get up to or how you want to be labelled?
    If it were that easy to come out we'd have had any number of English pro footballers that would have done so by now
    Or maybe there are incredibly few gay sportsmen?

After all once retired, why wouldn't a gay footballer then come out, especially if they weren't coaching any more (if they were worried about the dressing room)?

I can't believe you think that.
    Perhaps 10% of the population are gay, except gay sportsmen who are incredibly few ?
    It's more like 5%, and it doesn't follow that this is evenly spread amongst all profession. I imagine that amongst actors, singers, dancers etc it's much higher than average
  • LenGlover said:
    I am not up with current sexual politics and terminology as an old git and Mr Schofield's bedroom habits are of no interest to me other than raising a bigger topic.

How can somebody be gay if they have given birth to or fathered children naturally conceived? I understand that they could be bisexual if they are also attracted to their own sex as well as the opposite but my understanding of the sexual meaning of the word 'gay' is an exclusive attraction to one's own sex.

Perhaps one of you 'right on' youngsters can explain how he is gay and not bisexual as it does not make logical sense to me.

Well it could well be that 27 years ago before having children that he thought that that was the life he was expected and perhaps even wanted to follow. Denial perhaps. Perhaps he is bi but it’s also possible that he’s purely homosexual and lived the life of a happy family man because that’s what life expected of him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• It strikes me as a little bit selfish, Nothing to do with his sexuality, i'd feel the same if he was in his late 50s and in a gay relationship for 27 years with children and come out as straight.  
    That's absurd, maybe his lies were bringing about depression etc. Needing to clarify something to stop lying to loved ones is not selfish. 

It was selfish to lie in the first place sure, it could be argued it was selfish to continue the lie when his wife became pregnant.

Since then he has been completely unselfish to provide as a father and to maintain an image until his children were able to understand his coming out.  I am listening to LBC now, he and his family have been aware for "quite some time". 

• Quite a lot, if not most gay men have had heterosexual sex/encounters before, just like some straight men have had homosexual encounters. Society creates pressures and sexualities can change over time. It's like i once wanted to have sex with 16 year old girls when i was 16. Now I don't. 
  • Addickted said:
    It's 2020.

I mean really, who the feck cares what you get up to or how you want to be labelled?
    If it were that easy to come out we'd have had any number of English pro footballers that would have done so by now

After all once retired, why wouldn't a gay footballer then come out, especially if they weren't coaching any more (if they were worried about the dressing room)?

They might be only a few but I think it's safe to say that there is at least one gay English footballer - but the fear of abuse from the opposition fans and players plus a worry that there will be a general non acceptance. Perhaps they don't want to be that target or seen as "different".

Both Justin Fashanu and far more recently Thomas Hitlzsperger came out after they retired. The rugby player, Gareth Thomas, did so a matter of months before he retired but, perhaps, the bravest to do so was he cricketer Steven Davies who did so when he was in his prime at 25.

Once a high profile English player does do so whilst playing I'm sure that others will follow. But it will take that one. 
    That's 2 footballers, 1 (about to retire) rugby player and 1 current cricketer. Out of all the current and former players within these sports, a tiny number

Steven Davies received total support within the game, and it quickly became a complete non issue.

In an era when people can be incredibly open with all sorts of previously taboo issues such as mental health, and are accepted and supported - I'd be amazed if there were many gay players in this country too afraid to come out, especially when they retire.
  • Following Schofield's revelation, I expect that the son of Graham Carr, the former footballer, manager and scout will now finally come out.

And when he does I'm sure it will please his Dad no end to learn that Alan has at last let the world know that he, too, has been living a life of pretence and admit that he can actually play football after all.
  • Well I have to say I’m flabbergasted by this news. I haven’t been this shocked since I found out Jimmy Saville was a paedophile.

Glad he finally feels able to be open about it, but I just struggle with the idea of this being news anymore. Does anyone, these days, really give a shit what someone’s sexuality is? And if there are people who do, shouldn’t we be marginalising them, rather than still behaving like the gay guy is the weird one?

Surely, if we want to completely normalize non-heterosexual sexualities, when someone comes out as gay (or whatever else) which I understand can be still hugely significant for that individual, we need to start reacting more like “oh, okay that’s cool, but it really doesn’t matter either way” and get on with our days and less “oh my god! Extra, extra, read all about it!!!”.
  • Quite a lot, if not most gay men have had heterosexual sex/encounters before, just like some straight men have had homosexual encounters. Society creates pressures and sexualities can change over time. It's like i once wanted to have sex with 16 year old girls when i was 16. Now I don't. 
    That's because they were of a similar age to you. As you grow older your preferences may change, your sexuality most likely will remain the same. 

Sexuality is not a preference. 
  • Maybe I've misjudged how easy it would be to come out by some of the comments on here
  • I'm sure Phillip will share more in the future about his story for those who are interested. 
  • edited February 2020
    Addickted said:
    It's 2020.

They might be only a few but I think it's safe to say that there is at least one gay English footballer - but the fear of abuse from the opposition fans and players plus a worry that there will be a general non acceptance. Perhaps they don't want to be that target or seen as "different".

Both Justin Fashanu and far more recently Thomas Hitlzsperger came out after they retired. The rugby player, Gareth Thomas, did so a matter of months before he retired but, perhaps, the bravest to do so was he cricketer Steven Davies who did so when he was in his prime at 25.

Once a high profile English player does do so whilst playing I'm sure that others will follow. But it will take that one. 
    That's 2 footballers, 1 (about to retire) rugby player and 1 current cricketer. Out of all the current and former players within these sports, a tiny number

Steven Davies received total support within the game, and it quickly became a complete non issue.

In an era when people can be incredibly open with all sorts of previously taboo issues such as mental health, and are accepted and supported - I'd be amazed if there were many gay players in this country too afraid to come out, especially when they retire.
    Rob Kearney of World's Strongest Man, is openly gay in one of the most testosterone charged sports there is. He is an American that sports a rainbow mohawk his husband attends every event.

Funny that most people aren't even aware of his sexuality... Because he is openly gay he doesn't feel the need to draw attention to it unless people heckle. He just gets on with his sport. (That is if you ignore his Mohawk)

Great Joe Rogan podcast with Kearney. 
  • Well I have to say I’m flabbergasted by this news. I haven’t been this shocked since I found out Jimmy Saville was a paedophile.
    Bit of an odd comparison. 

Could have used something relevant like Freddy Mercury, George Michael, Elton John etc...
  • Sponsored links:

• That is how I see it. It shouldn't be a big deal if somebody is Gay, Bi or Straight today. I can't see how it is so brave. It clearly won't have a negative effect on his career and nor should it. My point is, and I accept he has said his wife and kids are fine with it, but it suggests the family life he had, and they were part of was a sham. Maybe after 27 years it is something he could have kept to himself. And the only relevance this has to his sexuality is the suggestion about his relationship with his wife.

The fact we have no gay out professional footballers in this country is a disgrace. It shames our sport as even if the percentages are lower and accepting many will deem their sexuality to be personal, there has to be a significant number of gay players and a fear of being gay in the football world. It is a case of the industry not be a welcoming place for gay players, and as fans we are part of that, whereas this is not really an issue in show business.  

• That is how I see it. It shouldn't be a big deal if somebody is Gay, Bi or Straight today. I can't see how it is so brave. It clearly won't have a negative effect on his career and nor should it. My point is, and I accept he has said his wife and kids are fine with it, but it suggests the family life he had, and they were part of was a sham. Maybe after 27 years it is something he could have kept to himself. And the only relevance this has to his sexuality is the suggestion about his relationship with his wife.

The fact we have no gay out professional footballers in this country is a disgrace. It shames our sport as even if the percentages are lower and accepting many will deem their sexuality to be personal, there has to be a significant number of gay players and a fear of being gay in the football world. It is a case of the industry not be a welcoming place for gay players, and as fans we are part of that, whereas this is not really an issue in show business.  

Might be a minority in football who are bothered about homosexuality but obviously exert a considerable influence. Greg Clarke at Torquay Utd is the only openly gay player and from what I know has had relatively little abuse.
  • LenGlover said:

Well it could well be that 27 years ago before having children that he thought that that was the life he was expected and perhaps even wanted to follow. Denial perhaps. Perhaps he is bi but it’s also possible that he’s purely homosexual and lived the life of a happy family man because that’s what life expected of him. 
    Since when have you been a 'right on' youngster?  ;)

To be serious I understand your social stigma point but, how can I put this, for a man to have a heterosexual encounter that leads to the birth of a child there must be sufficient attraction to enable him to rise to the occasion and'do the deed' surely? It's not something you can hide or lie about.

Hence my bisexual observation higher up.
  • edited February 2020
    Addickted said:
    It's 2020.

The trouble is that football is different. We have enough issues with homophobia aimed at people and fans who aren't gay yet alone those that are. And that, I suspect, is why not one male footballer has been prepared to do so whilst playing.

Hitlzsperger didn't 'til he retired and he says exactly why here:

He had thought about coming out while still playing for Wolfsburg in 2011-12 but then listened to people who warned him of the negative consequences. "They all said 'don't do it, a big wave will crash on you'," he says. "But in the end I realised that nobody knows. There was no precedent, so everybody could only speculate on what would happen." 

While Germany as a country has noticeably become more and more relaxed about homosexuality in recent years, he had also noted there was an unhelpful media obsession with finding the first gay footballer. All sorts of well-intended but ultimately unhelpful interventions from heterosexual players – who either opined that gay players would benefit from coming out or cautioned against it – did not exactly fill him with confidence that this was indeed the right step.

The former international, who played in the 2006 World Cup and the 2008 European Championship, maintains that he did not have to lie about his sexuality and that team-mates eventually stopped asking about his lack of a girlfriend.

Hitzlsperger is under no illusion that football's attitudes will change overnight. On the day of his interview with the Guardian, the Paris St-Germain defender Alex, a former Chelsea player, insisted that "god created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Yves".

Hitzlsperger says: "You'll always have those guys, but it's sad that they don't think a little deeper about what they're saying. I feel sorry for them, really".

Might be a minority in football who are bothered about homosexuality but obviously exert a considerable influence. Greg Clarke at Torquay Utd is the only openly gay player and from what I know has had relatively little abuse.
    It's Liam Davis, and he's had no trouble at all. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/12/18/openly-gay-footballer-liam-davis-have-not-had-one-problem-football/
  • Somebody needs to start up the gay footballers thread.
  • LenGlover said:
    LenGlover said:

Since when have you been a 'right on' youngster?  ;)

To be serious I understand your social stigma point but, how can I put this, for a man to have a heterosexual encounter that leads to the birth of a child there must be sufficient attraction to enable him to rise to the occasion and'do the deed' surely? It's not something you can hide or lie about.

Hence my bisexual observation higher up.

I believe there are plenty of men (or women for that matter) that have 'managed' to have sexual encounters whilst not necessarily attracted to their partner?  

• Straight men pretending to be gay really is a thing too. My wife used to work in theatres and she told me that she was once unceremoniously thrown into a shop doorway by an actor she was going out with because a director was walking the other way and he didn't want said director  'thinking he was straight and unavailable'.
  • his sexuality is his and his family's business - a non news item