Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Terrorist Attack in Streatham 02.02.20

Comments

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Chizz said:
    bobmunro said:
    Chizz said:
    bobmunro said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Police time shouldn't be spent on following people who are considered a danger to the public. Lock them up and throw away the key.
    Under what law @ME14addick ?
    Law needs changing.
    Can you expand on that? 
    When I posted my original comment, I wondered how long it would take you to come back with a question. I don't need to expand on that as my original statement is quite clear. This man was known to pose a threat to public safety yet our crazy laws allowed him to be released. Utter madness. 
    You're right, you don't need to expand on what you've said. But, on the basis that this is a forum on which views are expressed, challenged and developed, I'd like to know more about how you'd like to see the law changed - and which one. If it's credible and effective, it deserves expanding on. 

What law do you think should be introduced that allows for people to be jailed indefinitely on the basis that they might otherwise break the law? 

For me, the horrible crime that took place yesterday was entirely the fault of the perpetrator, not the police or the law. 
    I certainly am not blaming the police, but I do blame a law which allows someone to freely carry out their crime when they are known to be a danger to the public. 

Do YOU think that it is right that this man shopuld have been set free? 

I'll give you a straight answer: he committed a crime, was charged, convicted and sentenced for that crime and was released from prison in line with law and policy. So, yes, it's right that he was still serving his sentence, but outside prison. 

I don't think people should be imprisoned for crimes they haven't yet committed. That's what it seems you are saying. Is that right? 
    It was known that he was still a danger though, as he wouldn't have been being followed by police officers. Anyone still considered a danger to the public should not be released.
    OK. Thank you for that answer. It seems you're now saying that anyone considered a danger to the public should be in prison, on an unlimited sentence. I don't agree with that. 

Too f*cking right.

Anyone considered a danger to the public should be removed from the society to which they present a danger. Call it prison if you like.
    So if someone, for example, posted on a public site that he'd like to have someone shot in the face, he should go to prison for the rest of his life? 

Straw man.

If someone attempted (or indeed succeeded) in shooting someone in the face and it was deemed he would still present a risk to society then YES.
    The point I was making (which I should have made clearer in my earlier post) was that there is a significant amount of nuance around the word "considered". 

Who does the considering? On what criteria? 

You could argue that someone threatening to shoot someone in the face poses a threat and therefore (under such a policy) should be imprisoned for life. (I disagree, for what it's worth). 

Or you could argue that someone committing a violent crime (in the way you describe) should be detained while they continue to pose a threat. (I would agree). 

However - and here's how it pertains to the situations this month and in November - I think the first example is too onerous and the second would not have made a difference in these cases. They didn't commit violent crimes before being imprisoned; but did so later. And therefore wouldn't meet the criterion you set out. 

If someone is a risk to the public, then they should not be free. But permanent, unending, extra-judicial detainment can't be on the basis that someone like you or I consider that they might be a threat. 

Bad cases make bad law. It's important that there's a carefully thought out, sustainable and legal means to help prevent incidents like yesterday and in November.

With yesterday's incident it was clear that on release he continued to pose a risk, hence he was under surveillance. It would have been easy to monitor his activity if you were looking through iron bars.

Still, he got what he deserved - one less evil scum stealing decent peoples' oxygen.
    Sadly, he also got what he wanted. It's a shame we have to kill them to remove the risk. Personally I'd like to see them shot to incapacitate them, in a way that means they experience acute pain (such as that they subject their victims to). After conviction, they can then be banged up for life (meaning life) in solitary confinement. To hell (deliberately ironic) with human rights.
  • Options
    I think when people are around you have to shoot to instantly kill. If they are wearing a working suicide vest, the worst thing you can probably do is try to incapacitate them. And there is no way of knowing if the vest is working or not or indeed if the person is wearing one or not so shoot to kill is essential.
  • Options
    Just said on the radio that 20 policemen were involved with monitoring this individual. How many other scumbags are the resources being allocated to observe. People who bang about their rights and support their punitive sentences should be locked up with them.... 
  • Options
    Who are these people? The punitive sentences seem to me to be the result of Governments trying to save money rather than pressure from any people!
  • Options
    Who are these people? The punitive sentences seem to me to be the result of Governments trying to save money rather than pressure from any people!
    Doesn’t it cost around £40k per year to keep a person in prison? I can’t see around the clock surveillance being cheaper than that per month let alone per year.
  • Options
    Doesn’t it cost around £40k per year to keep a person in prison? I can’t see around the clock surveillance being cheaper than that per month let alone per year.
    It is budgets - you save from one and pay more from another.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Streatham terrorist. Sudesh Amman, was known to still hold the views that got him incarcerated - which is why he was under armed surveillance. From listening to someone who is involved in deradicalization, he admitted that a lot of the prisoners do not engage but merely sit there saying nothing. 

On the basis of that, surely we should have indeterminate sentences but with minimum terms i.e. for someone preaching hatred and violence to those that do not believe, there should be a minimum term of say 10 years - but no release until such time as all experts are satisfied that the individual has denounced the views previously expressed. 

There will, undoubtedly, still be mistakes made but a lot less than now and with realistically punitive sentences there might just be less of an inclination to incite and carry out such violence in the name of such false beliefs. And we would not be wasting resource and money having to monitor prisoners that have been released but re-direct that to tackling other crimes.
  • Options
    It’s incomprehensible that in the 21st century, millions of people still live their lives in line with religious fairy tales (be it Islam, Christianity, Judaism etc)
    it depends on the ideology .. love and peace and free wifi for all is good .. kill or enslave all the others not like us is VERY bad .. Just take for example some on here 'hate' Millwall and Palace fans or think anyone born north of Watford is a norvern monkey. Banter or suppressed hatred ?
    Whether they REALLY mean it or not is irrelevant, it's a microcosm of worldwide tribal and political affiliations which can escalate out of control. And this for something as essentially inconsequential as sport
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Talk of execution is ironic as the aim of the guy was to be executed. 
    If someone were to hurt with intent to kill, abuse or kill my partner, my child or any family member of mine, I'd like to believe they'd be put to death or be murdered in prison pretty quickly.

Worst case is they die at my hands.

I don't want a radicalised terrorist, abuser or a murderer sitting in a cell radicalising others or enjoying their achievement whilst our taxes go towards giving them a comfortable bed and three square meals a day. 

They should lose their human rights as soon as they commit such inhumane acts. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    It’s incomprehensible that in the 21st century, millions of people still live their lives in line with religious fairy tales (be it Islam, Christianity, Judaism etc)
    it depends on the ideology .. love and peace and free wifi for all is good .. kill or enslave all the others not like us is VERY bad .. Just take for example some on here 'hate' Millwall and Palace fans or think anyone born north of Watford is a norvern monkey. Banter or suppressed hatred ?
    Whether they REALLY mean it or not is irrelevant, it's a microcosm of worldwide tribal and political affiliations which can escalate out of control. And this for something as essentially inconsequential as sport
    No it's REALLY quite relevant. Humans are tribal, doesn't mean we're incapable of living happily with those that believe differently to us. Historically tribes worked together to provide for one another and to provide security for one another. 

The Millwall fans on here or the Palace fans, and especially the Palace fans I grew up with in Surrey and call friends, I wouldn't wish any harm on them for their tribal support of their side. Everything negative we say to one another is simply banter for most... Otherwise we'd be in pathetic groups called "firms"...

I also wouldn't wish harm on an Atheist, Christian, Jew or Muslim etc.  Being agnostic rather than atheist probably makes that easier. 

The only people I would wish harm on are those that wish to carry out inhumane attacks on other innocent humans, simply because of their beliefs. I'd also wish harm on anyone that would similarly harm any of my close friends or family.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Police time shouldn't be spent on following people who are considered a danger to the public. Lock them up and throw away the key.
    Law needs changing.
    Can you expand on that? 
    When I posted my original comment, I wondered how long it would take you to come back with a question. I don't need to expand on that as my original statement is quite clear. This man was known to pose a threat to public safety yet our crazy laws allowed him to be released. Utter madness. 
    You're right, you don't need to expand on what you've said. But, on the basis that this is a forum on which views are expressed, challenged and developed, I'd like to know more about how you'd like to see the law changed - and which one. If it's credible and effective, it deserves expanding on. 

What law do you think should be introduced that allows for people to be jailed indefinitely on the basis that they might otherwise break the law? 

For me, the horrible crime that took place yesterday was entirely the fault of the perpetrator, not the police or the law. 
    I certainly am not blaming the police, but I do blame a law which allows someone to freely carry out their crime when they are known to be a danger to the public. 

I'll give you a straight answer: he committed a crime, was charged, convicted and sentenced for that crime and was released from prison in line with law and policy. So, yes, it's right that he was still serving his sentence, but outside prison. 

I don't think people should be imprisoned for crimes they haven't yet committed. That's what it seems you are saying. Is that right? 
    It was known that he was still a danger though, as he wouldn't have been being followed by police officers. Anyone still considered a danger to the public should not be released.
    Surely they were following him because he was acting suspiciously.
     Apparently he was under police surveillance.
    Sorry to say it but a lot of bloody good that did.
    What if he had a gun or a ‘real’ bomb.........he could have killed dozens!
  • Options
    The thing is, he didn't have a knife. He stole that just before stabbing people.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Law needs changing.
    Can you expand on that? 

If you've not seen the videos of armed police arriving left, right and centre... Have a look on twitter. Within moments of him starting his attack there are plain clothes police everywhere around him.

At least that's the impression the video gave. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Law needs changing.
    Can you expand on that? 

If you've not seen the videos of armed police arriving left, right and centre... Have a look on twitter. Within moments of him starting his attack there are plain clothes police everywhere around him.

At least that's the impression the video gave. 
    True, that was impressive......however, my point is that he still managed to savagely assault 3 victims and had he have been armed in a different fashion he could have done far more harm.
    These vermin shouldn’t be walking the streets in the first place.
    Very fortunate indeed that there were no fatalities.
  • Options
    The thing is, he didn't have a knife. He stole that just before stabbing people.
    I know that........but he did have a fake bomb!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    No it's REALLY quite relevant. Humans are tribal, doesn't mean we're incapable of living happily with those that believe differently to us. Historically tribes worked together to provide for one another and to provide security for one another. 

The Millwall fans on here or the Palace fans, and especially the Palace fans I grew up with in Surrey and call friends, I wouldn't wish any harm on them for their tribal support of their side. Everything negative we say to one another is simply banter for most... Otherwise we'd be in pathetic groups called "firms"...

I also wouldn't wish harm on an Atheist, Christian, Jew or Muslim etc.  Being agnostic rather than atheist probably makes that easier. 

The only people I would wish harm on are those that wish to carry out inhumane attacks on other innocent humans, simply because of their beliefs. I'd also wish harm on anyone that would similarly harm any of my close friends or family.
    you have not understood my comment or it needs expanding .. Whether they REALLY mean it or not is irrelevant, it's a microcosm of worldwide tribal and political affiliations which can escalate out of control .. 
    that is from little acorns, mighty oak trees grow .. given the right circumstances, e.g the 'legal right' for Germans in the 1930s or Englishmen in the 16c to slander, persecute and eventually to murder Jews or Catholics .. The Germans and English in question didn't really hate jews or catholics until it became 'legally and morally acceptable to do so' and the murderous herd/tribal instincts overruled logic and compassion ..  does that make more sense ? .. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

you have not understood my comment or it needs expanding .. Whether they REALLY mean it or not is irrelevant, it's a microcosm of worldwide tribal and political affiliations which can escalate out of control .. 
    that is from little acorns, mighty oak trees grow .. given the right circumstances, e.g the 'legal right' for Germans in the 1930s or Englishmen in the 16c to slander, persecute and eventually to murder Jews or Catholics .. The Germans and English in question didn't really hate jews or catholics until it became 'legally and morally acceptable to do so' and the murderous herd/tribal instincts overruled logic and compassion ..  does that make more sense ? .. 
    Certainly makes more sense when put that way.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Certainly makes more sense when put that way.
    thanks
  • Options
    Here is a reported picture of the terrorist as a youngster .. so VERY sad

a person posing for the camera The terrorist above as a child had told an inmate he was determined to murder an MP before his release
  • Options
    Here is a reported picture of the terrorist as a youngster .. so VERY sad

a person posing for the camera The terrorist above as a child had told an inmate he was determined to murder an MP before his release
    Is that a lighter in his hand.
  • Options
    already showing signs of aggression, probably towards the west 
  • Options
    Hi @Covered End just wondering if you have had a chance to reflect on the post I sent as a reply to you.  To repeat, accusing someone of supporting terrorists is not on.  So, I will invite you to reconsider whether it's appropriate to suggest I "support terrorists" and to tell me which of the six points I highlighted you think I have no right to express.  Over to you. 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Every evil bastard was a baby once
    This is exactly what I thought the moment I saw that picture...