Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Terrorist Attack in Streatham 02.02.20

Comments

• If he was under close armed police surveillance he was obviously considered very dangerous? What the actual fuck is he doing walking the streets? Someone somewhere authorised his release i take it? Great job,well done ffs.
    Sadly our legal system allows most people to serve half of their sentence or less. The prisons are full and we have one of the highest prison populations in the world. As for managing risk. I was contacted recently by a probation officer who wanted me to assess the mental health of a man with a long, long, LONG, history of violence towards others and was saying that he was having THOUGHTS to harm people. I spoke to police and probation only to be told that they couldn't do anything themselves. It's so stressful when there are too many people like this on the streets and you never ever know which one person is going to do something, or when!
  • It wasn't long ago that bringing back Jihadi's from Syria was a cause celebre both on this site and in wider society. I do  hope that those proposing repatriation are having a serious rethink about it.
  • Very interesting AUN. At least they are trying. 
  • Yep - don't disagree BBW. Just putting the balance out there in case anyone missed it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Police time shouldn't be spent on following people who are considered a danger to the public. Lock them up and throw away the key.
    Under what law @ME14addick ?
    Law needs changing.
    Can you expand on that? 
    When I posted my original comment, I wondered how long it would take you to come back with a question. I don't need to expand on that as my original statement is quite clear. This man was known to pose a threat to public safety yet our crazy laws allowed him to be released. Utter madness. 
    Well said ME.. Quite ridiculous to ask the original question to you, but not unsurprising.
  • Stig said:
    Terrorist jailed in 2018 and released last week.
    He was under police surveillance. 
    Apparently he pleaded guilty, in that case the death penalty should be re-introduced.
    Problem with that is that then they become martyrs. 
    Hasn't he become a martyr anyway now?
  • Daarrzzetbum said:

these radicalised inhumans will always be a threat whilst they still breathe, zero tolerance for me.
    Can you hear yourself here? And detect no irony? 
  • I wonder how many other people were stabbed on the streets of London over the weekend?

Should the perpetrators of these acts be executed as well?

• So the high road is still not fully open. All the traffic is being diverted down roads that are mad at the best of times. Cars parked down both sides as it is. Absolute chaos. Been pretty much constant hooting outside my house since 2am. Not helped that its bin day and all the bin lorries are trying to get around...
  • Sponsored links:

• This guy did this knowing he'd be shot by the police within seconds. Talk of execution is ironic as the aim of the guy was to be executed. I'm sure many of you would love to do it with your bare hands (or say you would at least) but you'd be executing a dead person 
  • edited February 2020
    I think there is an issue we are in danger of overlooking. If he served his full three years and was still a danger, he shouldn't be let out until there is complete satisfaction it is safe to do so. So it isn't about letting him out early, but letting him out when we clearly do not know he is safe! With terrorists, maybe the sentence should be a time but with a proviso of that time being a minimum but release can only be made when it is considered safe to the public to do so, whether that is 3 years or 80 years!
  • I think there is an issue we are in danger of overlooking. If he served his full three years and was still a danger, he shouldn't be let out until there is complete satisfaction it is safe to do so. So it isn't about letting him out early, but letting him out when we clearly do not know he is safe!
    How would we ever know he was safe? 
  • edited February 2020
    Addickted said:
    I wonder how many other people were stabbed on the streets of London over the weekend?

Should the perpetrators of these acts be executed as well?

Gang on gang violence is not the same as terrorism.
    Both involve attacking and killing people because you dislike and disagree with them, with the further motive of instilling fear in other people so that you can dominate them. Therefore I feel that you haven’t really answered the question.
  • What confuses me is that if you have a mental illness, you do not get released if you are thought to be a threat. Given what happened in December, why is this not the same for radicalised potential terrorists? 
    We'd be entering the land of whacko-sounding conspiracy theories if I answered this one fully, but let's just say that the Home Office probably knows exactly what it's doing 
  • Leuth said:
    None of you actually know the stats for rehabilitation. I agree that evaluation of risk should be better, but I can't - well, I can - believe what I'm reading: the death penalty for simply espousing extremist views?! Yes, prison, yes, attempts to rehabilitate, but you're saying we perpetually lock up or even kill these vulnerable, brainwashed young men rather than try to show them the evil of what they've fallen into and give them a way out? I'm sure that for every one of these that takes their shot at martyrdom, there are several others who return to society cured. But I don't know the stats either. Perhaps we should try to find out. 
    Load of bollox. 
    It's having views like this that get the scum released early to carry out their cowardly acts 
    Load of bollox.  Read what he's actually said.  Nowhere does he advocate releasing people who are still a danger.
  • If anything, people like this require years of secure psychiatric treatment. Of course, our government doesn't believe in any of that mumbo-jumbo