Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Terrorist Attack in Streatham 02.02.20

Comments

• Options
    I know it's from that well known right wing propaganda rag that is the BBC and isn't a Guardian article but:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-51349664

I'd rather see anyone who is found guilty of "disseminating terrorist material" either locked up for good or shot in the face than allowed back on the streets. 

Quite simply, the gamble is not worth it. If you are found guilty of being of a warped ideology, I doubt a couple of years in a cell is going to make you reflect on it. People are sent to prison as a punishment, you aren't likely to reform your views in there. You come out the same person (or much worse). 

It's not like you go "I was an Islamic terrorist but after 3 years in jail I realised I was wrong."
  • Options
    Live in Streatham myself, all very bizarre.
  • Options
    Strong views and hard to argue against really , other then the shot in the face bit...

However, seems that it could have been far far worse, than the events that unfounded.

Sunday afternoon in Borough Market does not bear thinking about compared to a shop in Streatham.

Awful all round

Boris was straight on the “we are going to change this” after he had just been released from prison .

Surely after the last 2 incidents, we will be a lot stronger with these extremists??? 
  • Options
    Surely a prison sentence isn’t gonna deter a wrongen from commiting terror offences. Something obviously needs to be done when these wrongens get released. Are they on tag? Are they even being monitored? OB leaving themselves open. It’s a cheap shot, but Maybe take some of the overkill on football supporters and spend it on shit that matters.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Surely a prison sentence isn’t gonna deter a wrongen from commiting terror offences. Something obviously needs to be done when these wrongens get released. Are they on tag? Are they even being monitored? OB leaving themselves open. It’s a cheap shot, but Maybe take some of the overkill on football supporters and spend it on shit that matters.
    Nice idea but the old bill would struggle to get terrorists to pay for their own policing. While football fans pony up for so much overtime nothing's going to change.
  • Options
    So we are right at one end of the cordon. Near Leigham court road. The actual incident judging by the pictures we are seeing was further along the high road. About 5 mins walk away. 

Didnt actually realise anything had happened other than hearing helicopters overhead and lots of police sirens which isnt that unusual for here. It's when they carried on for like 15 mins that we were like what's going on. 

Weren't allowed out for a few hours. Police are now letting people out but you are only allowed to walk away from the incident. High road is still locked down. Cars side roads instead and traffic is absolute chaos.

No idea why anyone would target Streatham.
    From the reports of a car crash and multiple undercover cops, plus armed police being in the area ASAP, it sounds like the old bill who had him under surveillance stopped him from reaching his intended target (perhaps fortuitously, perhaps intentionally). 

Fingers crossed for any victims of this knob
  • Options
    Terrorist jailed in 2018 and released last week.
    He was under police surveillance. 
  • Options
    Apparently he pleaded guilty, in that case the death penalty should be re-introduced.
  • Options
    Apparently he pleaded guilty, in that case the death penalty should be re-introduced.
    Problem with that is that then they become martyrs. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    jondon76 said:
    Another one released under surveillance,  what surveillance ffs, same as the London Bridge attacker. These people can't be rehabilitated the sooner the powers that be realize that the better for us all.
    They were following him, which is why he was shot so quickly.
  • Options
    Honestly cant believe some people ffs. What an absolute tit of a woman.
    Think the officer was very calm. I wouldn't have been quite so nice.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Police time shouldn't be spent on following people who are considered a danger to the public. Lock them up and throw away the key.
    Under what law @ME14addick ?
    Law needs changing.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Stig said:
    Problem with that is that then they become martyrs. 
    No, they become dead. In their heads they become martyrs, nowhere else. 
    No, not in their heads. In the heads of others.
    True but others haven't died first.
  • Options
    Also around the same time in Gent Belgium 2 stabbed and again shot by the Police no comment at this stage if it was terror related
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    jondon76 said:
    Another one released under surveillance,  what surveillance ffs, same as the London Bridge attacker. These people can't be rehabilitated the sooner the powers that be realize that the better for us all.
    They were following him, which is why he was shot so quickly.
    Still had time to stab a couple of people though.
  • Options
    None of you actually know the stats for rehabilitation. I agree that evaluation of risk should be better, but I can't - well, I can - believe what I'm reading: the death penalty for simply espousing extremist views?! Yes, prison, yes, attempts to rehabilitate, but you're saying we perpetually lock up or even kill these vulnerable, brainwashed young men rather than try to show them the evil of what they've fallen into and give them a way out? I'm sure that for every one of these that takes their shot at martyrdom, there are several others who return to society cured. But I don't know the stats either. Perhaps we should try to find out. 
  • Options
    I entirely agree he was released early! 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    None of you actually know the stats for rehabilitation. I agree that evaluation of risk should be better, but I can't - well, I can - believe what I'm reading: the death penalty for simply espousing extremist views?! Yes, prison, yes, attempts to rehabilitate, but you're saying we perpetually lock up or even kill these vulnerable, brainwashed young men rather than try to show them the evil of what they've fallen into and give them a way out? I'm sure that for every one of these that takes their shot at martyrdom, there are several others who return to society cured. But I don't know the stats either. Perhaps we should try to find out. 
    Fuck stats. Lock them up. For ever. 
    Would still rather take my chances with terrorists than being locked up forever by a vindictive policeman for reading something on the Internet .
  • Options
    If he was under close armed police surveillance he was obviously considered very dangerous? What the actual fuck is he doing walking the streets? Someone somewhere authorised his release i take it? Great job,well done ffs.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Police time shouldn't be spent on following people who are considered a danger to the public. Lock them up and throw away the key.
    Under what law @ME14addick ?
    Law needs changing.
    Can you expand on that?