Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Terrorist Attack in Streatham 02.02.20

Comments

• Options
    Southbank said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Police time shouldn't be spent on following people who are considered a danger to the public. Lock them up and throw away the key.
    Under what law @ME14addick ?
    Law needs changing.
    Can you expand on that? 
    When I posted my original comment, I wondered how long it would take you to come back with a question. I don't need to expand on that as my original statement is quite clear. This man was known to pose a threat to public safety yet our crazy laws allowed him to be released. Utter madness. 
    You're right, you don't need to expand on what you've said. But, on the basis that this is a forum on which views are expressed, challenged and developed, I'd like to know more about how you'd like to see the law changed - and which one. If it's credible and effective, it deserves expanding on. 

What law do you think should be introduced that allows for people to be jailed indefinitely on the basis that they might otherwise break the law? 

For me, the horrible crime that took place yesterday was entirely the fault of the perpetrator, not the police or the law. 
    I certainly am not blaming the police, but I do blame a law which allows someone to freely carry out their crime when they are known to be a danger to the public. 

Do YOU think that it is right that this man shopuld have been set free? 

I'll give you a straight answer: he committed a crime, was charged, convicted and sentenced for that crime and was released from prison in line with law and policy. So, yes, it's right that he was still serving his sentence, but outside prison. 

I don't think people should be imprisoned for crimes they haven't yet committed. That's what it seems you are saying. Is that right? 
    It was known that he was still a danger though, as he wouldn't have been being followed by police officers. Anyone still considered a danger to the public should not be released.
    OK. Thank you for that answer. It seems you're now saying that anyone considered a danger to the public should be in prison, on an unlimited sentence. I don't agree with that. 
    Your instinct for a fair justice system is a good one. But in this case we have a radicalised religious movement which is dedicated to death and destruction. It is a death cult. It is not political in any real way, it has no realisable political aims or objectives, which even the IRA had and they were interned without trial.

They are effectively enemy soldiers who want to kill us. That is what makes it acceptable for them to be shot during their attacks and locked up until they can prove they are no longer a threat. That may be a very long time. 
    That would require people to completely denounce their beliefs, and that isn't going to happen as they'd then become apostates.

Someone remind me again what the punishment is for apostasy....
    It's very hard to logic out something that wasn't logiced in as well! I can't even begin to understand how you would deradicalise a religious nut, but it would probably have to begin with more religion that was slightly less murderous.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Southbank said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Police time shouldn't be spent on following people who are considered a danger to the public. Lock them up and throw away the key.
    Law needs changing.
    Can you expand on that? 
    When I posted my original comment, I wondered how long it would take you to come back with a question. I don't need to expand on that as my original statement is quite clear. This man was known to pose a threat to public safety yet our crazy laws allowed him to be released. Utter madness. 
    You're right, you don't need to expand on what you've said. But, on the basis that this is a forum on which views are expressed, challenged and developed, I'd like to know more about how you'd like to see the law changed - and which one. If it's credible and effective, it deserves expanding on. 

What law do you think should be introduced that allows for people to be jailed indefinitely on the basis that they might otherwise break the law? 

For me, the horrible crime that took place yesterday was entirely the fault of the perpetrator, not the police or the law. 
    I certainly am not blaming the police, but I do blame a law which allows someone to freely carry out their crime when they are known to be a danger to the public. 

I'll give you a straight answer: he committed a crime, was charged, convicted and sentenced for that crime and was released from prison in line with law and policy. So, yes, it's right that he was still serving his sentence, but outside prison. 

I don't think people should be imprisoned for crimes they haven't yet committed. That's what it seems you are saying. Is that right? 
    It was known that he was still a danger though, as he wouldn't have been being followed by police officers. Anyone still considered a danger to the public should not be released.
    OK. Thank you for that answer. It seems you're now saying that anyone considered a danger to the public should be in prison, on an unlimited sentence. I don't agree with that. 
    Your instinct for a fair justice system is a good one. But in this case we have a radicalised religious movement which is dedicated to death and destruction. It is a death cult. It is not political in any real way, it has no realisable political aims or objectives, which even the IRA had and they were interned without trial.

They are effectively enemy soldiers who want to kill us. That is what makes it acceptable for them to be shot during their attacks and locked up until they can prove they are no longer a threat. That may be a very long time. 
    That would require people to completely denounce their beliefs, and that isn't going to happen as they'd then become apostates.

Someone remind me again what the punishment is for apostasy....
    It's very hard to logic out something that wasn't logiced in as well! I can't even begin to understand how you would deradicalise a religious nut, but it would probably have to begin with more religion that was slightly less murderous.
    Mormonism?
  • Options
    There are deradicalised islamists who work in the community to stop indoctrination so it can be done. I saw one on the TV the other day and these people are good weapons to have in the war on terror as young impressionable kids can empathise with them. 
    Absolutely it can be done. However, that's on a very small scale.

I listen to Majid Nawaz on LBC very often and it's astounding how many religious people call in and set their stall out by claiming to be liberal, but then go on a defensive rant against Nawaz for daring to call out barbaric aspects of a religion. Aspects that directly feed in to the radicalisation process. I'm also not sure I've ever heard a straight answer to a question about lawful killings that are directed by a book. Everyone refuses to acknowledge the elephant in the room, which is a shame as it would certainly help debate move forward. Instead we have this walking on hot coals approach.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    @PaddyP17

Firstly, a very thought provoking and well penned post.

The bit I'd like to pick your brains on is the bit where you've said:

"I think the way Islam is portrayed and thus perceived in the UK is wholly inaccurate so people can be scaremongered into thinking "lock them up and throw away the key"."

Would you agree that the best way to understand Islam in societies in general would be to look at all of the actual Islamic countries around the world and see how Islam works there? Genuine question as I know I'll get a sensible reply from you, without alluding to fishing or other such nonsense.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I lived in Saudi Arabia for 2 years and have seen the very best and (some of the worst)of the Islamic faith as well as being brought up in the perverse and twisted catholic doctrine myself; but my point being religion of all creeds oppress and narrow the mind and is used to artfully oppress the mind of others who therein defend it to the hilt in a perverse Stockholm syndrome style continuum.

Nothing against religious people of most "normal" faiths  (ie scientologists can do one) and the vast majority of all creeds are good decent humans in the main of course but the whole specrtrum of abrahamic ideology and doctrines have no place in modern, progressive, liberal societies bar maintaining cultural traditions and adopting good values that are common across most of them.

But there needs desperately to be another enlightenment period. It is still used to placate the abused and oppressed in large parts of the world and used in the west to maintain discrimination, bigotry and inequality not to mention the indoctrination and physical mutilation of children in many historic and barbaric religious
    s and cultural practices.

Surely it is time now for progressive politicians to push that message to the forefront of the agenda. Although judging by how few American senates will declare anything but devout adoration for god and atheism appears (from afar) to be tantamount to communism in terms of appeal to the majority American electorate it surely won't happen this century unfortunately.
  • Options
    In reply to two considered posts:

Muttley: I agree with your conclusions, but pointing out the religious slaughter in Europe in the middle ages is missing the central point and does not negate it.  Following said slaughter, the peoples of Europe generally reached an agreement that we were no longer going to live in a society along the lines of religious bigotry.....hence 'the enlightenment'.  Islam has not only had no superceding prophet preaching a more tolerant approach (as I pointed out), but it has also not had a philosophical revolution where people binned superstition and allowed science and the arts to flourish in order to achieve a better society.  This has demonstrably not happened in Islam; hence most Islamic countries are backward in terms of human rights etc.

However, the main point is that you can't use the New Testament as an excuse for violence against non-believers.  The Quran, on the other not only excuses violence; it actively outlines the duty of believers to do just that.  That is what 'jihad' is.

You also said 'People who take these things literally or interpret them to their own ends are the issue and it is wrong to attack the religion IMO'.  I disagree on a subtle point here.  No religion or belief should be beyond criticism; that was the point of the enlightenment and the point of free speech.  However, this has increasingly been worn down over the years, not least because prominent critics of Islam tend to end up dead.

Paddy: I made the point that it wasn't all Muslims.  However, I picked one survey and there are many more.  I worked for ten years in the most Islamic place in the UK (by % inhabitants) and it changed my opinion greatly.  I don't want to go into all the horrors therein otherwise I would be here all night.  We accept there is a sizeable minority of extremists. It is also true that the muslim population in the UK has and is growing rapidly (source: Wikepedia):

Census YearNumber
    of Muslims
    Population of
    England and Wales
    Muslim
    (% of population)
    Registered
    mosques
    Muslims
    per mosque
    196150,00046,196,0000.11[45]77,143
    1971226,00049,152,0000.46[45]307,533
    1981553,00049,634,0001.11[45]1493,711
    1991950,00051,099,0001.86[45]4432,144
    20011,600,00052,042,0003.07[45]6142,606
    20112,706,00056,076,0004.83[46]1,5001,912
    2017 (estimation)3,373,000[2]

Put the two together and you have an increasing, not decreasing problem (it is the norm in many Muslim families to have large amounts of children as compared to the population in general, for instance).  I see that you are looking for bias.  I picked the first example I could find from a source that people wouldn't accuse of being the Daily Mail, but there are many others to choose from.  In my own experience, I think that where the Muslims have emigrated from is significant in this.  e.g Those from Turkey are unlikely to hold strict Islamic views and, indeed, be quite westernised, but those from Pakistan (particularly e.g Mirpur) are much more likely to; not least because they are highly likely to instigate a parallel religious education at madrassas (where extremist bigots, and frankly, nutters are not hard to find, given what those who have attended them have told me they have been taught) alongside their secular, state education.

At the end of the day, it will continue to happen, because we have allowed it to happen.  The time to stand up against this hateful nonsense was the Salman Rushdie affair, but establishment cowardice and a general failure to defend the values of our secular liberal society has taken its toll and we are reaping the dividends of that.  Too late now - the genie is out of the bottle.

Sorry to be so depressing...back to the football chat.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    It is down to individuals at the end of the day. I recall my son asking me if I believed in God and I told him that I didn't yet because I haven't seen enough evidence, but that shouldn't influence his position. I told him to look at all the information he could and make his own decision. He later told me that he didn't and I told him to always look at the evidence and if you change your mind, that is fine. It is his choice to make, not mine. I feel strongly about that.

I can't see how a staunch believer is going to take a similar approach though. I hate the fact that there are faith schools and that I had to endure a religious assembly every day at my state Grammer School. What is telling is that if you are born in one country, you are more likely to belong to one religion and if you are born somewhere else another. This suggests that little or no reasoning goes into decisions to follow a religion and there is always an element of indoctrination. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2020
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Grammer School.  
    Must have been a shite one :o
    Was grammar school not spelling school to be fair :-) 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Law needs changing.
    Can you expand on that? 

Too f*cking right.

Anyone considered a danger to the public should be removed from the society to which they present a danger. Call it prison if you like.
    So if someone, for example, posted on a public site that he'd like to have someone shot in the face, he should go to prison for the rest of his life? 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    It's a fair cop. I got an A for English O level believe it or not :)
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Chizz said:
    bobmunro said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Law needs changing.
    Can you expand on that? 

Too f*cking right.

Anyone considered a danger to the public should be removed from the society to which they present a danger. Call it prison if you like.
    So if someone, for example, posted on a public site that he'd like to have someone shot in the face, he should go to prison for the rest of his life? 

Straw man.

If someone attempted (or indeed succeeded) in shooting someone in the face and it was deemed he would still present a risk to society then YES.
    The point I was making (which I should have made clearer in my earlier post) was that there is a significant amount of nuance around the word "considered". 

Who does the considering? On what criteria? 

You could argue that someone threatening to shoot someone in the face poses a threat and therefore (under such a policy) should be imprisoned for life. (I disagree, for what it's worth). 

Or you could argue that someone committing a violent crime (in the way you describe) should be detained while they continue to pose a threat. (I would agree). 

However - and here's how it pertains to the situations this month and in November - I think the first example is too onerous and the second would not have made a difference in these cases. They didn't commit violent crimes before being imprisoned; but did so later. And therefore wouldn't meet the criterion you set out. 

If someone is a risk to the public, then they should not be free. But permanent, unending, extra-judicial detainment can't be on the basis that someone like you or I consider that they might be a threat. 

Bad cases make bad law. It's important that there's a carefully thought out, sustainable and legal means to help prevent incidents like yesterday and in November.
  • Options
    the attacker was being followed everywhere by an armed undercover police team .. this after only a few months in prison .. how many other dangerous actual and potential terrorists are being followed everywhere 24/365 by highly trained, probably elite policemen. How many cops nationwide are dedicated to following these bums around at great expense in cash and resources ..
     anyone convicted of terrorism is a traitor and after a long term in prison should be stripped of their British nationality, if they have it and then deported. I don't care if they were born here and their family has been living here since 3000 BC, there are plenty of desert islands needing repopulating, Australia is a good example
  • Options
    It is down to individuals at the end of the day. I recall my son asking me if I believed in God and I told him that I didn't yet because I haven't seen enough evidence, but that shouldn't influence his position. I told him to look at all the information he could and make his own decision. He later told me that he didn't and I told him to always look at the evidence and if you change your mind, that is fine. It is his choice to make, not mine. I feel strongly about that.

I can't see how a staunch believer is going to take a similar approach though. I hate the fact that there are faith schools and that I had to endure a religious assembly every day at my state Grammer School. What is telling is that if you are born in one country, you are more likely to belong to one religion and if you are born somewhere else another. This suggests that little or no reasoning goes into decisions to follow a religion and there is always an element of indoctrination. 

Absolutely agree.  Either we are serious about integration, or we aren't.  Separating children on the basis of their (parents') religion belongs in a previous century IMHO.  Look at efforts to integrate the Catholic and Protestant communities in NI by introducing 'mixed' schools; it has led to definite progress in growing the peace there.

And what you are displaying here, Muttley, is tolerance of others' choices in life.  The trouble with religious bigots is that they are simply not able to do so because it contradicts their holy book of choice, which is infallible in their eyes.  Now I have no problem with anyone's faith as long as they do not seek to impose it on others....each to their own and all that.  However, when they demand that other people live by their rules, then you have a problem and when they are prepared to use violence to achieve that end, then you have a very big problem.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Law needs changing.
    Can you expand on that? 

Surely they were following him because he was acting suspiciously.
  • Options
    There are deradicalised islamists who work in the community to stop indoctrination so it can be done. I saw one on the TV the other day and these people are good weapons to have in the war on terror as young impressionable kids can empathise with them. 

The problem is you only know if they have been deradicalised once they are dead and not re-offended 

Someone who acts fine for years on release and then goes on a stabbing spree after being a sleeper would probably have been thought a successful proponent of the system up until he re-offended. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Law needs changing.
    Can you expand on that? 

Surely they were following him because he was acting suspiciously.
     Apparently he was under police surveillance.
  • Options
    Just had a read through.
    Chizz supporting terrorists over the poor people who were stabbed.
    Well to be fair he hasn't done it since the last atrocity.
  • Options
    Just had a read through.
    I don't think he's done that at all. I think in answering a previous question as to whether the perpetrator's release was justified, he said yes, as it was in line with the law.

Is the law a flawed one? I think Chizz would likely agree that it is (after all, the Tories drew it up...! :wink: ) and that this was a despicable act carried out by a total wrong'un. But I don't think he's supporting terrorists. That is an unfair and mudslinging comparison. (And I say this as someone who certainly has differences with Chizz, as the cricket threads might show.)
  • Options
    In reply to two considered posts:

Muttley: I agree with your conclusions, but pointing out the religious slaughter in Europe in the middle ages is missing the central point and does not negate it.  Following said slaughter, the peoples of Europe generally reached an agreement that we were no longer going to live in a society along the lines of religious bigotry.....hence 'the enlightenment'.  Islam has not only had no superceding prophet preaching a more tolerant approach (as I pointed out), but it has also not had a philosophical revolution where people binned superstition and allowed science and the arts to flourish in order to achieve a better society.  This has demonstrably not happened in Islam; hence most Islamic countries are backward in terms of human rights etc.

However, the main point is that you can't use the New Testament as an excuse for violence against non-believers.  The Quran, on the other not only excuses violence; it actively outlines the duty of believers to do just that.  That is what 'jihad' is.

You also said 'People who take these things literally or interpret them to their own ends are the issue and it is wrong to attack the religion IMO'.  I disagree on a subtle point here.  No religion or belief should be beyond criticism; that was the point of the enlightenment and the point of free speech.  However, this has increasingly been worn down over the years, not least because prominent critics of Islam tend to end up dead.

Paddy: I made the point that it wasn't all Muslims.  However, I picked one survey and there are many more.  I worked for ten years in the most Islamic place in the UK (by % inhabitants) and it changed my opinion greatly.  I don't want to go into all the horrors therein otherwise I would be here all night.  We accept there is a sizeable minority of extremists. It is also true that the muslim population in the UK has and is growing rapidly (source: Wikepedia):

Census YearNumber
    of Muslims
    Population of
    England and Wales
    Muslim
    (% of population)
    Registered
    mosques
    Muslims
    per mosque
    196150,00046,196,0000.11[45]77,143
    1971226,00049,152,0000.46[45]307,533
    1981553,00049,634,0001.11[45]1493,711
    1991950,00051,099,0001.86[45]4432,144
    20011,600,00052,042,0003.07[45]6142,606
    20112,706,00056,076,0004.83[46]1,5001,912
    2017 (estimation)3,373,000[2]

Put the two together and you have an increasing, not decreasing problem (it is the norm in many Muslim families to have large amounts of children as compared to the population in general, for instance).  I see that you are looking for bias.  I picked the first example I could find from a source that people wouldn't accuse of being the Daily Mail, but there are many others to choose from.  In my own experience, I think that where the Muslims have emigrated from is significant in this.  e.g Those from Turkey are unlikely to hold strict Islamic views and, indeed, be quite westernised, but those from Pakistan (particularly e.g Mirpur) are much more likely to; not least because they are highly likely to instigate a parallel religious education at madrassas (where extremist bigots, and frankly, nutters are not hard to find, given what those who have attended them have told me they have been taught) alongside their secular, state education.

At the end of the day, it will continue to happen, because we have allowed it to happen.  The time to stand up against this hateful nonsense was the Salman Rushdie affair, but establishment cowardice and a general failure to defend the values of our secular liberal society has taken its toll and we are reaping the dividends of that.  Too late now - the genie is out of the bottle.

Sorry to be so depressing...back to the football chat.

Thanks for your reply mate. It's very, very interesting. My first thought on your initial post was why offer an article that implies far wider support for sharia, while also acknowledging it wasn't all Muslims? I also didn't want to make it seem like you were saying it was, because you definitely weren't.

I don't think I disagree too much with what you have said: it's empirically true that we have a growing Muslim population, and therefore it's a completely reasonable assumption that this also means a growing number of extremists (though I have no idea on a figure or anything). Again, I'd also agree that country of origin is highly influential - just as I think you can't generalise Islam as a whole, you also have to acknowledge which countries might have emigrants more in line with stricter/fundamentalist interpretations of the religion.

That said, I'm not sure on whether I agree our society is necessarily secular: after all, the head of state is also the head of the church, and bishops sit in government by virtue of their position, for instance. Though I don't disagree that we've failed to act accordingly at many a turn.

But I suppose my main point is that studies and their interpretations often fuel polarising thinking (on all matters, not just religion/Islam), and we have to tread very cautiously and see how our views might be being coloured.

I really enjoyed your response though - thought-provoking and completely justified, if a little doom-and-gloom for me!
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Just had a read through.
    I don't think he's done that at all. I think in answering a previous question as to whether the perpetrator's release was justified, he said yes, as it was in line with the law.

Is the law a flawed one? I think Chizz would likely agree that it is (after all, the Tories drew it up...! :wink: ) and that this was a despicable act carried out by a total wrong'un. But I don't think he's supporting terrorists. That is an unfair and mudslinging comparison. (And I say this as someone who certainly has differences with Chizz, as the cricket threads might show.)
    The majority worked out his game a long time ago, even if you haven't.
    You are spot on covered, and supports the travelling community who go round beating up and stealing from old men and women...