Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peterborough Chairman Interview - Marcus Maddison

Comments

• Options
    Their model has always made me smile - i.e. they put such focus on signing decent attacking players with a decent sell on yet ignore their defence

This is the second season on the trot where they've got the worst goals conceded (along with Wycombe this year) in the top seven

Maybe if they focused on all areas a bit more they'd actually stand a proper chance of returning to the Championship
    You'd have thought they'd get good crowds if they were playing attacking football with lots of goals at either end, rather than Pulis style functional football
    They have never attracted much more than crowds of 7k.

I like the away days to Peterborough but it always strikes me that the town doesn’t look like it’s surviving that well so it’s unlikely the football club would thrive
  • Options
    Their model has always made me smile - i.e. they put such focus on signing decent attacking players with a decent sell on yet ignore their defence

This is the second season on the trot where they've got the worst goals conceded (along with Wycombe this year) in the top seven

Maybe if they focused on all areas a bit more they'd actually stand a proper chance of returning to the Championship
    You'd have thought they'd get good crowds if they were playing attacking football with lots of goals at either end, rather than Pulis style functional football
    They have never attracted much more than crowds of 7k.

I like the away days to Peterborough but it always strikes me that the town doesn’t look like it’s surviving that well so it’s unlikely the football club would thrive
    I think that a lot of people would travel down to London for football.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Things aren’t going well for Marcus at the moment. Playing for a non-league club to keep fit and the offers aren’t coming in.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/former-middlesbrough-target-marcus-maddisons-18744771
    Exactly why you have to make hay when the sunshines
    of course it’ll piss off fans but do what you gotta do 
    cos no one else will be paying your bills in a few years time 
  • Options
    If you believe Darragh McAnthony, he could have got a permanent move to Birmingham in January and be a Championship player still now but got greedy hoping for the big summer pay day.

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Things aren’t going well for Marcus at the moment. Playing for a non-league club to keep fit and the offers aren’t coming in.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/former-middlesbrough-target-marcus-maddisons-18744771
    Exactly why you have to make hay when the sunshines
    of course it’ll piss off fans but do what you gotta do 
    cos no one else will be paying your bills in a few years time 
    Alternatively, his "selfish" attitude towards Posh and Hull is what's putting clubs off

"Good player, but I'm worried he's not a team player and might affect team morale"

"Ok, we'll look at someone else"
  • Options
    If you believe Darragh McAnthony, he could have got a permanent move to Birmingham in January and be a Championship player still now but got greedy hoping for the big summer pay day.

A bird in the hand and all that 
  • Options
    He'll get a move though, might well be League 1 though.
  • Options

A bird in the hand and all that 
    Exactly. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "This past month has been hell for me waiting on a phone call that never comes"

Poor Marcus, probably should've taken the new contract Peterborough offered you then.

I think he'll get a deal though, but it will certainly be a lot lot less than he would've been hoping to get 6 months ago though. He was probably thinking he'd easily be able to get 10-15k a week at a championship club. Now he'll be happy to get 3-4k at a salary capped league one side.
  • Options

Poor Marcus, probably should've taken the new contract Peterborough offered you then.

I think he'll get a deal though, but it will certainly be a lot lot less than he would've been hoping to get 6 months ago though. He was probably thinking he'd easily be able to get 10-15k a week at a championship club. Now he'll be happy to get 3-4k at a salary capped league one side.
    The salary cap means something like £1.7k a week according to Varney’s recent article on it, which must be a fair bit less than he was on at Posh.
  • Options
    Dont forget he also refused to return and help Hull's relegation battle the same way Lyle Taylor did for us

Wonder if clubs arent too impressed with that when there are plenty of players out there who did just roll up their sleeves and get on with it
  • Options
    Scoham said:

The salary cap means something like £1.7k a week according to Varney’s recent article on it, which must be a fair bit less than he was on at Posh.
    I didn't read the article would would that 1.7k be the average weekly salary for a full squad? Assuming he would expect to be a top earner at a league one side, which would still be less than he was on at Peterborough anyway.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Maybe he can train with Lyle t****r to keep each other company
  • Options
    How do you know? Maybe he's fallen in the trench?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    It says a lot that Lyle's not training at our training ground. 

It tells me Bowyer was a lot more angry than he made out. 
    Doubt it's about Bowyer. If fans found out they'd let Lyle back in to train, we'd rightly lose our shit. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:

That's just an average based on the full squad, but remember players under 21 don't count towards the cap.
    Many clubs will have players on more than 1700 a week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought I'd put this here rather than the rumours thread. The original post about MM is by William Storey who is potentially taking over at Sunderland. Not sure calling another club a Mickey Mouse outfit is good form

• Options
    The only issue for Mr Storey is that, in his head, Maddison thinks he's Premier League class but his engine is Nissan Micra class!
  • Options
    I hope for the mental health of Sunderland fans he gets no way near to taking them over. The guy is a fraud, and it seems some of them have been duped by his movements already. Very reminiscent of southall 
  • Options
    I hope for the mental health of Sunderland fans he gets no way near to taking them over. The guy is a fraud, and it seems some of them have been duped by his movements already. Very reminiscent of southall 
    Absolutely, he's a complete chancer, never comes up with the supposed money . Very much a Southall type just with a few more outrageous statements 
  • Options
    Football is a magnet for these types.
  • Options
    How on earth can he say Maddison was treated disgracefully by Peterborough?

They offered him the biggest contract the club had ever offered, but he turned it down and said he would see out his contract. Naturally they then started to focus on the future without him so dropped him and in the January window tried to sell him so they'd at least get some money.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    MattF said:
    Thought I'd put this here rather than the rumours thread. The original post about MM is by William Storey who is potentially taking over at Sunderland. Not sure calling another club a Mickey Mouse outfit is good form

I see William Storey replied as well

Someone with world class backers offering to invest more than £50m into a GREAT football club. Above and beyond the purchase price. And we will continue to invest money IN to the club rather than use the club as a personal piggy bank Mr MacAnthony! Keep smiling 👍 #Sunderland

Backers? Ah ok got it. When I bought a football club, I used my own pocket money to do it. But whatever works for you pal. Good luck to those ‘backers’ 👌🏻. All the best with it flower.

Merci.
    I could buy many clubs personally but if there is an opportunity to get a much bigger club & world class names share my vision to invest heavily, then clearly would be remiss of me not to do it.
    Appreciate the kind words laddie 👌
  • Options
    MattF said:

I see William Storey replied as well

Someone with world class backers offering to invest more than £50m into a GREAT football club. Above and beyond the purchase price. And we will continue to invest money IN to the club rather than use the club as a personal piggy bank Mr MacAnthony! Keep smiling 👍 #Sunderland
    What exactly is a "world class backer", very Southall!