Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peterborough Chairman Interview - Marcus Maddison

Comments

• Options

cafctom said:
    Missed It said:
    If Gallen and Bowyer make such a big deal about signing players with the right character for Charlton, I'm a bit surprised they went for Maddison.  It sounded like it was a 'who can we get' signing rather than a 'this is the player we need' signing.  

Thankfully it fell through.  Maddison sounds like a knob.  Posh were sick of his Charlie Big Potatoes nonsense and couldn't get shot of him quick enough.

I suppose it just goes to show how desperate things can get in the January window.  (Excellent video from the Peterborough chairman, a bit of an eye-opener.)
    People from other clubs (and even many of our own fans) might say the same about Lyle Taylor, but that doesn’t mean he is unmanageable. 

Maddison has produced goals and assists for Posh for a long time now, so whilst he may have an attitude - ultimately he does deliver on the pitch on a consistent basis. 
    Bit harsh on Lyle that comment .......... apart from not signing a new contract cant see what he has done wrong.

You can’t see why other teams might see him as having an ego or an attitude? Really?

As Charlton fans we love the bloke, but if he was an opposing player he would be getting pelters.
  • Options
    After hearing from McAnthony, we avoided a poisoned Mushroom.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

cafctom said:
    Missed It said:
    If Gallen and Bowyer make such a big deal about signing players with the right character for Charlton, I'm a bit surprised they went for Maddison.  It sounded like it was a 'who can we get' signing rather than a 'this is the player we need' signing.  

Thankfully it fell through.  Maddison sounds like a knob.  Posh were sick of his Charlie Big Potatoes nonsense and couldn't get shot of him quick enough.

I suppose it just goes to show how desperate things can get in the January window.  (Excellent video from the Peterborough chairman, a bit of an eye-opener.)
    People from other clubs (and even many of our own fans) might say the same about Lyle Taylor, but that doesn’t mean he is unmanageable. 

Maddison has produced goals and assists for Posh for a long time now, so whilst he may have an attitude - ultimately he does deliver on the pitch on a consistent basis. 
    Bit harsh on Lyle that comment .......... apart from not signing a new contract cant see what he has done wrong.

You can’t see why other teams might see him as having an ego or an attitude? Really?

As Charlton fans we love the bloke, but if he was an opposing player he would be getting pelters.

"Thankfully it fell through.  Maddison sounds like a knob.  Posh were sick of his Charlie Big Potatoes nonsense and couldn't get shot of him quick enough."

"People from other clubs (and even many of our own fans) might say the same about Lyle Taylor"

Not sure that many of our own fans would say that . He has got an ego and attitude but if you havent got that are you going to succeed as a Pro footlballer ?

• Options
    unpopular opinion but football is probably full of dickheads who want a huge pay packet. Maddison creates goals and would have possibly contributed to us staying up so may have been worth extra wages (although I agree not way more than any of our other players). It’s a shame he didn’t want to come because he’s the flair we’re missing. 
  • Options
    An interesting video. Darragh MacAnthony certainly has the gift of the gab and, with Barry Fry in tow, you can see why they are such successful operators in the transfer market. There was no shortage of hype about Ivan Toney in preparing the ground for his sale in the summer and it puts into perspective some of the lousy fees we've received for some of our best young talents in recent years.
  • Options
    lets be honest - he's only trying to run down his contract and scoop a bigger salary at the end of the season, which he will get - i.e the transfer fee peterborough have tried to force through will go to him instead in wages - no different to taylor - the fact maddison may be a bit of a bellend is a seperate issue
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    lets be honest - he's only trying to run down his contract and scoop a bigger salary at the end of the season, which he will get - i.e the transfer fee peterborough have tried to force through will go to him instead in wages - no different to taylor - the fact maddison may be a bit of a bellend is a seperate issue

Not necessarily. Players of his level are worth a certain amount per week and no more. Teams won't just add-on his transfer value to his wages and blow that number out, carte blanche. Overpaying for player X would just send a signal to the rest of the team that they are worth more than they are being paid by the owner, leading to locker room issue and agents agitating for a transfer-out for their own players.
  • Options
    We definitely ducked a shell with Maddison didnt we.
  • Options
    Hull were more desperate to us. After losing Bowen and Grosicki they HAD to get in someone to prevent a complete meltdown!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:

Not necessarily. Players of his level are worth a certain amount per week and no more. Teams won't just add-on his transfer value to his wages and blow that number out, carte blanche. Overpaying for player X would just send a signal to the rest of the team that they are worth more than they are being paid by the owner, leading to locker room issue and agents agitating for a transfer-out for their own players.
    then why do players run their contracts down??
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

Definitely, the club lose if a player is out of contract. The player and the agent(s) are the winners. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

Listening to TalkSport last week, someone on there, that a player will get a better deal if he is a free agent.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

Listening to TalkSport last week, someone on there, that a player will get a better deal if he is a free agent.
    I think that’s Douchers point. 
  • Options
    Facinating and interesting video he came across really well. Very interesting about Maddison taleneted footballer but may be for the best we missed out
  • Options
    Great vid. Well done Peterborough 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    lets be honest - he's only trying to run down his contract and scoop a bigger salary at the end of the season, which he will get - i.e the transfer fee peterborough have tried to force through will go to him instead in wage.s - no different to taylor - the fact maddison may be a bit of a bellend is a seperate issue

The difference is that Maddison has been at Peterborough for almost six years and one would assume that this wasn't made up of three two year contracts. Our previous regime did not believe in awarding longer term contracts except when it came to ensuring one of their young saleable assets (and likely to be sold within six months) would have an increased value in doing so.

Had we secured Taylor on a three year contract we would have been in a stronger position this window and he wouldn't have been quite so unsettled
  • Options
    Top top bloke. Think we dodged a bullet there.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

A club might not necessarily add on extra in wages than they were prepared to pay if a player wasn't free but i've always been led to believe that the player will ask for a hefty signing on fee which is usually a large % of what the buying club would've been paying out as a transfer fee.

For example say Maddison is worth 2m and he then goes on a free, he can probably say 'ok give me 750k-1m as a signing on fee'. He gets more money, the club save on the transfer fee, and the wage structure isn't blown.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hull aren’t keen on him come the summer and we go back and get him .....
    cue Charlton Life going in to revisionism meltdown 
  • Options
    maddisons opening wage request in the negotiations was about as far from value as you can get , even as a starting point i think i wouldve stopped wasting time there
  • Options
    Hull aren’t keen on him come the summer and we go back and get him .....
    cue Charlton Life going in to revisionism meltdown 
    If Hull aren't keen on him then it means he won't have done much between now and May in which case i don't see too many other championship sides being interested either.
  • Options
    I believe we dodged a strategically placed banana skin. 
  • Options
    Peterborough won 4-0 today with only 10 men for the last half hour (score was 2-0 when their player was sent off)

So last 5 results for them without Marcus Maddison reads:

Wycombe (H) Won 4-0
    Rotherham (H) Won 2-1
    Accrington (A) Won 2-0
    Ipswich (A) Won 4-1
    Oxford (H) Won 4-0

4 of those sides have been top at some stage this season

Think Peterborough were the ones who dodged a bullet in not having to play or pay Maddison especially if Hull do end up buying him
  • Options
    Peterborough won 4-0 today with only 10 men for the last half hour (score was 2-0 when their player was sent off)

Wycombe (H) Won 4-0
    Rotherham (H) Won 2-1
    Accrington (A) Won 2-0
    Ipswich (A) Won 4-1
    Oxford (H) Won 4-0

Think Peterborough were the ones who dodged a bullet in not having to play or pay Maddison especially if Hull do end up buying him
    Didnt realise their form had been that good since not playing him. Was very surprised today as Oxford have been playing really well lately
  • Options

Wycombe (H) Won 4-0
    Rotherham (H) Won 2-1
    Accrington (A) Won 2-0
    Ipswich (A) Won 4-1
    Oxford (H) Won 4-0

Now 6 wins on the bounce:

Wycombe (H) Won 4-0
    Rotherham (H) Won 2-1
    Accrington (A) Won 2-0
    Ipswich (A) Won 4-1
    Oxford (H) Won 4-0
    Southend (H) Won 4-0

And the man that we really wanted to speak to Peterborough about, Ivan Toney, has scored 8 of those 20 goals, making it 25 for him this season in 38 games.
  • Options
    And look at Hull.

:-)
    4-2-3-1 with Magennis as the lone striker. He wasn’t good enough for that role in League 1.
  • Options
    Maddison's arrival will be causing big problems at Hull, they are plunging and suddenly some bloke comes in on a six-month deal on big money - not exactly going to be warmly welcomed in the dressing room, is he?