Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite Restaurant & Favourite Meal there

Comments

• Options
    Not necessarily the best restaurant but one of my favourites was a place called Les Maraichers in Rouen. Me and my Dad used to stop overnight there on the way to and way back from Le Mans. On the way back on the Sunday after spending 2 nights under canvas, not getting a lot of sleep or comfort, we'd get to the hotel, shower and head straight for the restaurant.

Smoked duck fillets with salad and dressing for starter, rare fillet steak for main and creme brulee for desert. All washed down with a few beers.

Haven't been for some years but we're staying in Normandy this summer and am planning to take my family there during our stay.
  • Options
    I was going to suggest Oblix at the Shaard but beaten to it by @Curb_It. There’s a Chinese restaurant at Albert Dock called Yi-Ban which has come highly recommended. I’ll be trying that out in the next few weeks
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    @Plumstead_Micky SuchiSamba at Covent Garden might be worth going to have a look at mate, My niece is a veggie the same age and loved it there when we went. Great position, done up really nice and ideal for a younger / mixed crowd, plus you can order as much or little as you want.  
  • Options
    Rustique French Bistro in York. Great value set meals outside of peak times and not too much more expensive at peak. Smallish menu of traditional French fare. Always go there when I’m in York.
  • Options
    Gars Chinese in the lanes, Brighton, family owned for years, super fresh and no MSG, not cheap but fantastic food…
  • Options
    @Plumstead_Micky SuchiSamba at Covent Garden might be worth going to have a look at mate, My niece is a veggie the same age and loved it there when we went. Great position, done up really nice and ideal for a younger / mixed crowd, plus you can order as much or little as you want.  
    I'll save that for the next birthday! Chess Afka. We went to the Italian place,  Royal Parade,  Chislehurst. 
  • Options
    I'll save that for the next birthday! Chess Afka. We went to the Italian place,  Royal Parade,  Chislehurst. 
    it's by far the better Italian on Royal Parade.  Due Amici is still stuck in 1987.
  • Options
    Oh and try Otto Pizzaria on Royal Parade. Same people as Quatradicci
  • Options
    Anyone got any experience of Sushisamba Heron Tower? Or suggestions for an alternative?

Birthday dinner for 2.
    Needs to be either dining with a view, or a quirky/unusual location. Relaxed atmos, nothing too formal. Thanks in advance. 

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I prefer the Duck and Waffle in the Heron Tower, spectacular views

https://duckandwaffle.com/about-us/ 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2022
    MrLargo said:
    Anyone got any experience of Sushisamba Heron Tower? Or suggestions for an alternative?

Birthday dinner for 2.
    Needs to be either dining with a view, or a quirky/unusual location. Relaxed atmos, nothing too formal. Thanks in advance. 

This time of year there are some really nice Terraced restaurants -

Seabird Southwark - personal fav
    Angler
    14 Hills
    Aqua Nueva
    Alto @ Selfridges
    The Nest Fitzrovia
    Boisdale Canary Wharf

• Options
    I keep promising myself to concentrate more on using hotel restaurants rather than just a restaurant. But keep forgetting!

Nonetheless, In North Wales, The Ynyshir Restaurant (and rooms) is really nice and in a lovely setting. 2 Michelin stars. Expensive. But you can stay in one of their tepees if you like that sort of thing.  When I was there they had a cheese board course that consisted of nine cheeses that you were supposed to eat in order as they gradually got stronger - that was my favourite.

Lewtrenchard Manor in Devon (quite handy for Plymouth away) also has a very nice restaurant.

Congham Hall in North Norfolk also has an excellent restaurant and has its own garden which supplies most of the seasonal fruit and veg.

Worst restaurant (for the money):  The Enotecca Pinchiorri in Florence - supposedly the best restaurant in Italy with 3 Michelin stars.  Absolutely fabulous wine but the meal was nothing I could not have easily cooked myself and had way too much salt for my taste - very disappointing.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Birthday dinner for 2.

I went there a couple of years ago. Food was superb. You'll need deep pockets mind. I recall seeing small numbers next to the menu items, which at first glance thought must be the calories for each one; alas no, that's the prices..
    Be prepared for the fast lift that gets you there.
  • Options
    The Valley Café : egg and bacon sandwich with a cup of tea
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Does anyone remember Pizzeria Castello? Used to be by Elephant & Castle. Growing up it was my absolute favourite in the world. But long gone now. 
    For those who were also fans, half of the family that owned this are now running Ristorante Carola, the Italian restaurant in Lee. Great to experience Castello's food again.
    Sadly for me I went to Carola twice (the second time to see if it was any better) and found the food was basically pure salt both times.
    Salted to a ridiculous degree and inedible. Admittedly I asked for the vegetarian option both times, so that may have been some kind of pre cooked stuff from the freezer as vegetarian food sells less, heavily salted for longer preservation.
    It is nearby but I am not inclined to return because of the poor quality of the food.
    Only you Seth…….only you.
    What a surprise. 🥺
    Only me what?
    I have commented on a place near me, others have commented on places near them.
    How on earth is that surprising?
    Just go and look at the rave reviews all over the media!
    I have been there at least a dozen times…..taken several friends there who in turn have taken their friends and family.
    Voted in 5th place in the top 10 restaurants in SE London….just take a look at tripadvisor as well.
    Like I say……there’s always one! 🤨
    Yeah so what is the point of this? Someone expresses an opinion and you're saying "oh OBVIOUSLY there's always one", and rolling eyes, and given SP's rep on this forum, it ends up being an ad hominem. Then BBW decides to get involved in this for good measure - to be expected as a prime WUM.

FWIW I can back up that there wasn't nearly as much thought put into the vegetarian fare there, when I dined with him. I went for a meat dish and that was pretty good.

In any case, this is tantamount to bullying and it's spilling into someone expressing a fucking opinion. Ridiculous. Have a word with yourself SoundAs.
  • Options
    Went to El Pastor on Stoney Street last week - it was absolutely excellent! The Tacos Al Pastor (carnitas) are brilliant, though I did really enjoy the Tacos Baja (pollock). The salsas are fresh and captivating, and it's pretty reasonably priced for some very, very good food.

Not sure if there are many better Mexican restaurants in London but if anyone knows any, I'd love to try.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Does anyone remember Pizzeria Castello? Used to be by Elephant & Castle. Growing up it was my absolute favourite in the world. But long gone now. 
    For those who were also fans, half of the family that owned this are now running Ristorante Carola, the Italian restaurant in Lee. Great to experience Castello's food again.
    Sadly for me I went to Carola twice (the second time to see if it was any better) and found the food was basically pure salt both times.
    Salted to a ridiculous degree and inedible. Admittedly I asked for the vegetarian option both times, so that may have been some kind of pre cooked stuff from the freezer as vegetarian food sells less, heavily salted for longer preservation.
    It is nearby but I am not inclined to return because of the poor quality of the food.
    Only you Seth…….only you.
    What a surprise. 🥺
    Only me what?
    I have commented on a place near me, others have commented on places near them.
    How on earth is that surprising?
    Just go and look at the rave reviews all over the media!
    I have been there at least a dozen times…..taken several friends there who in turn have taken their friends and family.
    Voted in 5th place in the top 10 restaurants in SE London….just take a look at tripadvisor as well.
    Like I say……there’s always one! 🤨
    Yeah so what is the point of this? Someone expresses an opinion and you're saying "oh OBVIOUSLY there's always one", and rolling eyes, and given SP's rep on this forum, it ends up being an ad hominem. Then BBW decides to get involved in this for good measure - to be expected as a prime WUM.

FWIW I can back up that there wasn't nearly as much thought put into the vegetarian fare there, when I dined with him. I went for a meat dish and that was pretty good.

In any case, this is tantamount to bullying and it's spilling into someone expressing a fucking opinion. Ridiculous. Have a word with yourself SoundAs.
    Not a WUM at all, Paddy. If I'm a WUM then your old man is stratospheric in that domain. Although I'm sure you'd counter otherwise.

I did call the restaurant to confirm that they didn't serve up pre frozen food, especially in their vegetarian dishes. They confirmed that they didn't.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Went to El Pastor on Stoney Street last week - it was absolutely excellent! The Tacos Al Pastor (carnitas) are brilliant, though I did really enjoy the Tacos Baja (pollock). The salsas are fresh and captivating, and it's pretty reasonably priced for some very, very good food.

Not sure if there are many better Mexican restaurants in London but if anyone knows any, I'd love to try.
    Not been to any but I do read a lot of restauraunt reviews and blogs. Places that are often mentioned as being at the same level (or maybe better)  as El Pastor are La Chingada in Surrey Quays, Santa Remedio  in Tooley Street and Breddos in Clerkenwell.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Mrs H worked at the Elephant when I first met her, that was a great pizza place went quite a few times. Mutiara an Indonesian was also pretty good.
    First place I ever had garlic bread. It’s where I realised it was the future.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    We are off to Burger and Lobster on Friday for the Maxs sandwich shop collab.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrLargo said:

Birthday dinner for 2.

This time of year there are some really nice Terraced restaurants -

Seabird Southwark - personal fav
    Angler
    14 Hills
    Aqua Nueva
    Alto @ Selfridges
    The Nest Fitzrovia
    Boisdale Canary Wharf

Thanks mate. Had Seabird on the shortlist actually. I'll have a look at the others as well.

MrLargo said:

Birthday dinner for 2.

I went there a couple of years ago. Food was superb. You'll need deep pockets mind. I recall seeing small numbers next to the menu items, which at first glance thought must be the calories for each one; alas no, that's the prices..
    Be prepared for the fast lift that gets you there.
    Thanks mate. I had a look at the menu. Did wince a bit at the prices though :#
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Mrs H worked at the Elephant when I first met her, that was a great pizza place went quite a few times. Mutiara an Indonesian was also pretty good.
    This was the go to restaurant for all who worked at Southwark nick back in the day.
    I absolutely hated garlic until I was taken here.
    Never had a bad meal and it was cheap as chips.
    Delighted to hear the family have another restaurant in South East London.
    Might have to have a trip down memory lane when next in town.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

This was the go to restaurant for all who worked at Southwark nick back in the day.
    I absolutely hated garlic until I was taken here.
    Never had a bad meal and it was cheap as chips.
    Delighted to hear the family have another restaurant in South East London.
    Might have to have a trip down memory lane when next in town.
    I worked nearby in the late 80's - this was our payday restaurant...
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Could do one hell of a lot worse than The Orchard in Brockley for a gastro vibe. Was there on a date a few weeks ago and we did starter/main/bottle of wine, pretty reasonably priced, and it was really considerately done. Pork belly was excellent.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Could do one hell of a lot worse than The Orchard in Brockley for a gastro vibe. Was there on a date a few weeks ago and we did starter/main/bottle of wine, pretty reasonably priced, and it was really considerately done. Pork belly was excellent.
    And how did the date go?
    Thats all anyone cares about tbh 🤷‍♀️🤣🤣
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    And how did the date go?
    Date was very good! But it wasn't working out between her and I, and it's come to a lovely amicable end over the last few days.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    And how did the date go?
    Pork belly, wine, Jazz home studio. 

How could it possibly fail?
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    And how did the date go?
    Pork belly, wine, Jazz home studio. 

How could it possibly fail?
    I spoke too soon 😄
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    And how did the date go?
    Date was very good! But it wasn't working out between her and I, and it's come to a lovely amicable end over the last few days.
    Awwww.
    Thats nice to hear that no bunnies were boiled on this occasion 😁