Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite Restaurant & Favourite Meal there

Comments

• Options
    The Gallivant in Camber is very good 
  • Options
    Gaggan - Bangkok sadly now closed but was amazing food and dining experience
  • Options
    My daughter is looking for a restaurant to go to celebrate her 21st with the family.
    She has looked into a couple of places uptown (Pan Asia being one) but all the restaurants she has spoken to all want a minimum spend as we're a group of nine (Pan Asia wanted £3.5K....).

So, she might have to lower her sights a bit, so I thought I'd pose the question here.
    She's vegetarian (unlike the rest of us), so we can't really do somewhere like Gauchos, but certainly doesn't have to be veggie. Any recommendations for up town or SE London/suburbs area would be welcome.
  • Options
    Cafe Rouge has something for everyone at a reasonable price in my experience.
  • Options
    Since moving to the area in the last year, Ferraris Italian is fantastic 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Chunes said:
    Does anyone remember Pizzeria Castello? Used to be by Elephant & Castle. Growing up it was my absolute favourite in the world. But long gone now. 
    For those who were also fans, half of the family that owned this are now running Ristorante Carola, the Italian restaurant in Lee. Great to experience Castello's food again.
  • Options
    Boisdale, Canary wharf,  might be an option.
  • Options
    My daughter is looking for a restaurant to go to celebrate her 21st with the family.
    She has looked into a couple of places uptown (Pan Asia being one) but all the restaurants she has spoken to all want a minimum spend as we're a group of nine (Pan Asia wanted £3.5K....).

So, she might have to lower her sights a bit, so I thought I'd pose the question here.
    She's vegetarian (unlike the rest of us), so we can't really do somewhere like Gauchos, but certainly doesn't have to be veggie. Any recommendations for up town or SE London/suburbs area would be welcome.
    if local:

Buenos Aires in Blackheath
    Copper and Ink in Blackheath
    Quatrodici in Chislehurst
    Bankhouse in Chislehurst
    Taylans in Bromley

Up town - way too many to just list!
  • Options

I don’t think you can go far wrong with the Roka Brunch. Think it’s about 60 quid each, endless amounts of food including veggie options and unlimited wine. Lively setting that suits her age as well.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the pointers everyone; much appreciated.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone remember the place down the end of Lewisham in the 80s called Charisma (maybe spelled something like Karizma). It was roughly opposite Whitehall Clothiers. Loved the chicken kiev they served up when taken there as a kid
  • Options
    Just wondered what everybody's favourite restaurant is and when there what is your favourable meal or one you would recommend. 

I love an Indian restaurant in Sheffield called Mangla, at Spital Hill. It's been there donkey's years. 
    Favourite meal was Meat Aloo with a Keema Naan bread......until I became vegetarian two weeks ago. ☹️
    I was in Sheffield for the weekend of the Khan/Brook fight. Friends that live there took me to an Indian restaurant called Mowgli Street Food. Thoroughly recommend it and believe there is one in London as well.
  • Options
    Just wondered what everybody's favourite restaurant is and when there what is your favourable meal or one you would recommend. 

I love an Indian restaurant in Sheffield called Mangla, at Spital Hill. It's been there donkey's years. 
    Favourite meal was Meat Aloo with a Keema Naan bread......until I became vegetarian two weeks ago. ☹️
    I was in Sheffield for the weekend of the Khan/Brook fight. Friends that live there took me to an Indian restaurant called Mowgli Street Food. Thoroughly recommend it and believe there is one in London as well.
    Just opened one in Leeds have to give it a try. 
  • Options

it's owned by Nisha Katona who i can't stand.

(not that that has anything to do with anything really)
  • Options

it's owned by Nisha Katona who i can't stand.

(not that that has anything to do with anything really)
    Kerry Katona could own it for all I care :D The food is really good.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Does anyone remember Pizzeria Castello? Used to be by Elephant & Castle. Growing up it was my absolute favourite in the world. But long gone now. 
    For those who were also fans, half of the family that owned this are now running Ristorante Carola, the Italian restaurant in Lee. Great to experience Castello's food again.
    Sadly for me I went to Carola twice (the second time to see if it was any better) and found the food was basically pure salt both times.
    Salted to a ridiculous degree and inedible. Admittedly I asked for the vegetarian option both times, so that may have been some kind of pre cooked stuff from the freezer as vegetarian food sells less, heavily salted for longer preservation.
    It is nearby but I am not inclined to return because of the poor quality of the food.
  • Options
     Micky do you mean Ivy Asia? It is very popular with the youngsters. Very smart decor. But we went last year and were both very sick after it. Will never go again. 

Smiths Wapping is still my favourite for special occasions. Great food and service and excellent views. 

Oblix in the Shard do a brunch on a Saturday but it is 90 quid have not tried it. 

I have done the Roka one as Gary suggests and it was excellent.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Just opened one in Leeds have to give it a try. 
    We've tried to go in the Leeds one a couple of times and it was closed on an evening it was supposed to be open both times, no signs etc, was weird.

Normally looks rammed though & I've heard good things.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Sadly for me I went to Carola twice (the second time to see if it was any better) and found the food was basically pure salt both times.
    Salted to a ridiculous degree and inedible. Admittedly I asked for the vegetarian option both times, so that may have been some kind of pre cooked stuff from the freezer as vegetarian food sells less, heavily salted for longer preservation.
    It is nearby but I am not inclined to return because of the poor quality of the food.
    Only you Seth…….only you.
    What a surprise. 🥺
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    What a surprise. 🥺
    Only me what?
    I have commented on a place near me, others have commented on places near them.
    How on earth is that surprising?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've just called Carola. I can confirm that none of their vegetarian dishes, or the ingredients they use in them, are ever frozen.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    What a surprise. 🥺
    Only me what?
    Just go and look at the rave reviews all over the media!
    I have been there at least a dozen times…..taken several friends there who in turn have taken their friends and family.
    Voted in 5th place in the top 10 restaurants in SE London….just take a look at tripadvisor as well.
    Like I say……there’s always one! 🤨
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    What a surprise. 🥺
    Only me what?
    I have been there at least a dozen times…..taken several friends there who in turn have taken their friends and family.
    Voted in 5th place in the top 10 restaurants in SE London….just take a look at tripadvisor as well.
    I am glad you enjoyed it.
    The place simply wasn’t for me after going there twice.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    What a surprise. 🥺
    Only me what?
    I am glad you enjoyed it.
    The place simply wasn’t for me after going there twice.
    Third time lucky mate
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Curb_It said:
     Micky do you mean Ivy Asia? It is very popular with the youngsters. Very smart decor. But we went last year and were both very sick after it. Will never go again. 

Smiths Wapping is still my favourite for special occasions. Great food and service and excellent views. 

Oblix in the Shard do a brunch on a Saturday but it is 90 quid have not tried it. 

@Curb_It  A Smiths restaurant has opened in the Paddington Basin. I went there on Sunday and thought both the food and service was excellent.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Not sure B; I'm sure she said it was Pan Asia. I don't know the place personally.
    Oh yeah, I've heard of Smiths.
    Yes, I have been to Roka twice, once at Canary Wharf and then at Aldgate. Really worth it, although I did prefer the Canary Wharf one. Seemed to have more choice and a bit more attention.
  • Options

if local:

Bankhouse in Chislehurst
    Taylans in Bromley

We went to Quattordici on Saturday. Food was gorgeous. Service amazing. Thanks very much for the tip.
  • Options

if local:

Bankhouse in Chislehurst
    Taylans in Bromley

We went to Quattordici on Saturday. Food was gorgeous. Service amazing. Thanks very much for the tip.
    I was impressed by Quattordici when I went not so long ago, good choice sir.
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    Chapter One in Locksbottom.  No particular dish.  Never had a bad meal - the Saturday/Sunday lunch options generally offer the best variety and value.
    Chapter 2 in Blackheath was good is it still there?
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Mrs H worked at the Elephant when I first met her, that was a great pizza place went quite a few times. Mutiara an Indonesian was also pretty good.