Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite Restaurant & Favourite Meal there

Comments

• Options
    My issue with a lot of restaurants is the exorbitant cost - it's hard to be objective when you've paid a fortune for a meal as you want to say it was worth the money.

My favourite is still the Golden Chippy in Greenwich - brilliant fish and chips and always good.

Worst meal I've had was at Roast in Borough - pretty tasteless.
  • Options
    https://patri.co.uk/

Went to this place in Hammersmith the night before the Play-Off final. Fantastic Indian dining experience, and not a tikka masala in sight!
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

Europe.  Le Cinq in Paris at the 4 seasons hotel.  Unbelievable Food and unbelievable price tag. 

Sound like you know your food, but I'm still put off going by Jay Rayner's famously scathing review. Well worth a read: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/apr/09/le-cinq-paris-restaurant-review-jay-rayner 

Favourite bit - "Other things are the stuff of therapy. The canapé we are instructed to eat first is a transparent ball on a spoon. It looks like a Barbie-sized silicone breast implant, and is a “spherification”, a gel globe using a technique perfected by Ferran Adrià at El Bulli about 20 years ago. This one pops in our mouth to release stale air with a tinge of ginger. My companion winces. “It’s like eating a condom that’s been left lying about in a dusty greengrocer’s,” she says."
    Its my wife, mainly.  I'd still be eating in pubs and cafes if it wasn't for her dragging me out to these places.  I used to eat such bland, rubbish food, I can taste pretty much every element of a dish and its led me to start cooking and putting my own dishes together.  Nothing extravagant but simple flavour combos.  The wife and I are doing a sushi prep course in a few weeks.

Its funny you posted up Jay Rayner's review, when I typed Le Cinq I remembered reading it first time round and went back to read it and it still makes me giggle.  His description of the restaurant itself is so spot on.  Its the only ever restaurant I've been to where they've pulled a stool thing out for the wife to put her handbag on!  Some of the dishes we had were the same, there was a few other changes though.  One thing that does stick in the mind was something with sea urchin.  Now that really is an aquired taste.  Didn't particularly like it but finished it, the wife left hers and the waiter was genuinely shocked when she told him she really didn't like it.

We ordered a bottle of red.  Didn't go for the very expensive wine pairing as I wasn't really drinking at the time.  The wife tried to take a picture of it with her phone at the end as she liked it so much.  The waiter rushed over and said leave that to me madam.  He came back 5 mins later with an envelope.  They'd only gone and steamed off the label from the bottom then laminated it and stuck it in the envelope.  We've still got it at home somewhere!

But the food was really good.  The sea urchin definitely wasn't.  The rest of the menu was different apart from the gratinated onion that I really liked. Dont let Jay Rayner put you off.  I'm glad I went before I read his review.  
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

Europe.  Le Cinq in Paris at the 4 seasons hotel.  Unbelievable Food and unbelievable price tag. 

Sound like you know your food, but I'm still put off going by Jay Rayner's famously scathing review. Well worth a read: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/apr/09/le-cinq-paris-restaurant-review-jay-rayner 

Favourite bit - "Other things are the stuff of therapy. The canapé we are instructed to eat first is a transparent ball on a spoon. It looks like a Barbie-sized silicone breast implant, and is a “spherification”, a gel globe using a technique perfected by Ferran Adrià at El Bulli about 20 years ago. This one pops in our mouth to release stale air with a tinge of ginger. My companion winces. “It’s like eating a condom that’s been left lying about in a dusty greengrocer’s,” she says."
    Its my wife, mainly.  I'd still be eating in pubs and cafes if it wasn't for her dragging me out to these places.  I used to eat such bland, rubbish food, I can taste pretty much every element of a dish and its led me to start cooking and putting my own dishes together.  Nothing extravagant but simple flavour combos.  The wife and I are doing a sushi prep course in a few weeks.

Its funny you posted up Jay Rayner's review, when I typed Le Cinq I remembered reading it first time round and went back to read it and it still makes me giggle.  His description of the restaurant itself is so spot on.  Its the only ever restaurant I've been to where they've pulled a stool thing out for the wife to put her handbag on!  Some of the dishes we had were the same, there was a few other changes though.  One thing that does stick in the mind was something with sea urchin.  Now that really is an aquired taste.  Didn't particularly like it but finished it, the wife left hers and the waiter was genuinely shocked when she told him she really didn't like it.

We ordered a bottle of red.  Didn't go for the very expensive wine pairing as I wasn't really drinking at the time.  The wife tried to take a picture of it with her phone at the end as she liked it so much.  The waiter rushed over and said leave that to me madam.  He came back 5 mins later with an envelope.  They'd only gone and steamed off the label from the bottom then laminated it and stuck it in the envelope.  We've still got it at home somewhere!

But the food was really good.  The sea urchin definitely wasn't.  The rest of the menu was different apart from the gratinated onion that I really liked. Dont let Jay Rayner put you off.  I'm glad I went before I read his review.  
    I put a lot of faith in what Jay Rayner says - but I can appreciate that food criticism is, of course, an opinion. I don't doubt he may have had a bad time at Le Cinq, but for a restaurant so good I would believe that his experience happened to be very unlucky (and likely a bit exaggerated for the reading public/his own style). The press photograph thing was odd, though.

Next time I'm feeling flush in Paris I'll certainly have to give it a go!
  • Options
    UEAAddick said:
    Kispiac Bistro- Budapest

Tiny place has about 5/6 tables. Sat right next to an open kitchen. Incredible atmosphere with a mix of different customers. Can tell it's family run. Had Wild Boar Spare ribs 
    What are your favourites in Norwich, mate? 

For Indian, 'The Merchants of Spice' on Colegate is very good, and you'll get a decent Italian in 'Trattoria Rustica', just off Tombland.

'The Belgian Monk' in Pottergate also has a really good restaurant, with a fantastic 'beer menu' as well.
  • Options
    Due Amici, Chislehurst - Start: Spaghetti Amatriciana  Main: Seabass
    Everyone local seems to be raving about the other Italian that has opened up on Royal Parade now.  Quattordici.

https://quattordici.co.uk/menu/

I haven't been myself but my wife has been twice and she said it was very good.

For those of you foodies in Petts Wood, Chislehurst and Locksbottom, look out for Laura's Larder opening up in Petts Wood (see https://www.facebook.com/LaurasLarderGeneralStore).  Laura's is the sister of our good friend and neighbour.  Looks like she's going to have some competition with the Cipriani's owner opening up Hook Butchers and Deli on the square but hopefully it will be a success.  She deserves it for all the work she's put in.
  • Options
    Living in chelsfield I am only about 10 minutes away from Orpington high street. 
    Say what you like about the place but it does have a very good selection of restaurants. 

Scala Mediterranean Bar is seriously good.
    Definitely worth a visit if you haven't been.
  • Options
    I love Akbar’s Indian, been to them in Bradford, Manchester, York, Newcastle, Glasgow, Leeds and Sheffield and not had a bad one yet. Especially love the family size nan bread that hangs off a nan tree and is the size of a single duvet 😋. Unfortunately I think the most southern one is Birmingham. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Reading this thread is making me rather hungry!! Just moved to the Maidstone area, anyone got any recommendations? 

My favourite meal was from - Branded steak house in Beckenham. Not been for a couple of years though... Lovely fillet steak, Sweet potatoe fries, tenderstem broccoli & onion rings. Washed down with a nice red!  
  • Options
    Anyone been to Amaya Indian in Belgravia?
  • Options
    Living in chelsfield I am only about 10 minutes away from Orpington high street. 
    Say what you like about the place but it does have a very good selection of restaurants. 

Ah Scala.  The building with the big blue front that sticks out at the 'wrong' end of the High Street.  We went there the night we discovered our favourite little local italian had closed for good (the one of the mini roundabout halfway up which name escapes me right now, Osteria something or other but its reopened as something else now!)  Anyway, really enjoyed the meal we had there.  Was surprised it was next to empty though.
  • Options
    RedManS said:
    Reading this thread is making me rather hungry!! Just moved to the Maidstone area, anyone got any recommendations? 

My favourite meal was from - Branded steak house in Beckenham. Not been for a couple of years though... Lovely fillet steak, Sweet potatoe fries, tenderstem broccoli & onion rings. Washed down with a nice red!  
    Over to you Addickted.
  • Options
    Current favourite is a small place in St Pauls, called 'On the Bap' Litte Korean canteen, food is just brilliant. No favourite dish, just happy with the whole menu 
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Ah Scala.  The building with the big blue front that sticks out at the 'wrong' end of the High Street.  We went there the night we discovered our favourite little local italian had closed for good (the one of the mini roundabout halfway up which name escapes me right now, Osteria something or other but its reopened as something else now!)  Anyway, really enjoyed the meal we had there.  Was surprised it was next to empty though.
    4 of us going there Sunday. 
    We have booked our table as sometimes at weekends it can be very busy. 
    Agree with you on the Italian that closed it was excellent. 
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Due Amici, Chislehurst - Start: Spaghetti Amatriciana  Main: Seabass
    Everyone local seems to be raving about the other Italian that has opened up on Royal Parade now.  Quattordici.

https://quattordici.co.uk/menu/

I haven't been myself but my wife has been twice and she said it was very good.

For those of you foodies in Petts Wood, Chislehurst and Locksbottom, look out for Laura's Larder opening up in Petts Wood (see https://www.facebook.com/LaurasLarderGeneralStore).  Laura's is the sister of our good friend and neighbour.  Looks like she's going to have some competition with the Cipriani's owner opening up Hook Butchers and Deli on the square but hopefully it will be a success.  She deserves it for all the work she's put in

The new chef at Due Amici is excellent. Went there for Christmas Day and it was the best food I've had there and I've been going for 20 odd years.  Cipriani's is decent like you said.
  • Options
    Kel's Café Dartford - bacon, eggs, bangers, toast, shrooms, toms and a steaming mug of rosie, cooked to order, faultless, even if he is a Chelsea fan!
  • Options
    Kel's Café Dartford - bacon, eggs, bangers, toast, shrooms, toms and a steaming mug of rosie, cooked to order, faultless, even if he is a Chelsea fan!

So much so that you don't know it's Kell's...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafc-west said:
    Chapter One in Locksbottom.  No particular dish.  Never had a bad meal - the Saturday/Sunday lunch options generally offer the best variety and value.
    I've been there a few times as the Mrs loves it.
    A bit to poncy for my liking if I'm honest. 
    I went there once and it was far too poncy for my liking.
    All plate, with whirls of jus and tiny food portions for double the normal price.
    If you think you're important and like to be fawned over it's the place for you.
    Don't forget they also put a leaf or something on the side of the plate as well.
    Very filling.
    It was the strawberry on the small chicken breast that was too much for me, plus the snobby waiters.
  • Options
    cafc-west said:
    Chapter One in Locksbottom.  No particular dish.  Never had a bad meal - the Saturday/Sunday lunch options generally offer the best variety and value.
    All plate, with whirls of jus and tiny food portions for double the normal price.
    If you think you're important and like to be fawned over it's the place for you.
    I have not been there so I'll have to think of some excuse next time Mrs Elfs wants to go.
  • Options
    cafc-west said:
    I have not been there so I'll have to think of some excuse next time Mrs Elfs wants to go.
    Elfs me and the wife go there every year on our anniversary for lunch.
    Now you know what a fat and tight b@stard I am.
    Portions fill you up and price for lunch value for money.
    Don't know what's wrong with some people and this poncy lark.
    Bought me mum and dad vouchers for Christmas the other year .
    Dad didn't go basically not his thing as like some on here too poncy
    Last year we went to Coney hall bar/restaurant for me mum's birthday so basically a pub 
    Nearly £20 each for a Sunday dinner all of one course 
     3 maybe 4 roast potatoes you could have extra though for another £3 
    Got a bit extra though they were belting out sh!t music all the time I was in there.
    Give me poncy all the time
  • Options
    Grosevnor Fish Bar- Norwich. Best fish and chip shop I've ever been to
  • Options
    I’m mainly in the west end when going out in London. 

Current favourites are
    Nopi. Ottolenghi’s food is so good
    Bocca di Lupo. Fresh , original Italian. 
  • Options
    add Kricket to that for cool Indian st food
  • Options
    It's not my favourite restaurant as I have I have only been there once and that was tonight. I also don't have a fav, however I can make a recommendation.
    I'm not a huge fan of Chinese food, mainly due to the years of eating terrible takeaways and once having a Chinese girlfriend who would cook atrocious home cooked food. However I discovered Barshu on Frith Street, not far from Chinatown, they do some excellent Sichuan food. It's not cheap, but it's plentiful and delicious. I also wasn't gasping for a drink 10 minutes after eating.
  • Options
    La cave d'agnes in fitou. Food perfectly matched
  • Options
    Any recommendations for rye? Heading down there for a weekend end of February