Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Virgin Media Broadband

Comments

• Options
    I have literally just left Virgin this week due to awful pixilation issues. I have Sky again but with BT Fibre BB - have to say I was worried as Virgin gave me BB speeds of 215mbps but the Sky deal  I have is 150mbps. So far very impressed and no issues with TV or BB. Got best deal from the people based in the Shopping Centre in Bexleyheath. And how things have changed  -installation was very quick and easy.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Moving home soon and thinking of dropping Sky Broadband for Virgin for the speeds, but want to keep Sky Q.

Anyone had any issues with mixing Virgin Broadband with Sky Q TV?

I have virgin fibre broadband and Sky Q mate. No problems at all. 

Cheers. Do you have multi room (Sky Q Mini)?
    Yes, all good, except I can only get it in 3 rooms as that’s the max the box will take.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Moving home soon and thinking of dropping Sky Broadband for Virgin for the speeds, but want to keep Sky Q.

Anyone had any issues with mixing Virgin Broadband with Sky Q TV?

I have virgin fibre broadband and Sky Q mate. No problems at all. 

Cheers. Do you have multi room (Sky Q Mini)?
     Yup - 2 x Sky Q mini n'all.

I do have a Mesh system running the show though.....but even before that I didn't have any Sky issues.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Virgin 1gig package, that’s what I’m getting working at the bottom of the garden 100 feet away from the house.

Have got 3 of their new boosters which came out in Feb, 1 where I’m working , 2 in the house, seem to do the trick.
  • Options
    Oddly - these made no difference for me when I tried them......hence decided to go for the Mesh system.
  • Options
    Alot better in terms of speed, although you have to reset it on a continual basis, the worst customer service in the world, made a complaint nearly two years ago, the manager was going to call me back in 72 hours....still waiting 
  • Options
    I switched to Virgin a few months back and got their "Ultimate Oomph" package.

Superfast broadband, all the TV channels available, free landline calls and an unlimited data SIM for my mobile - all for less than half the price I was paying a combo of Sky/BT/O2 before. 

Very happy with them.
  • Options

Virgin 1gig package, that’s what I’m getting working at the bottom of the garden 100 feet away from the house.

Have got 3 of their new boosters which came out in Feb, 1 where I’m working , 2 in the house, seem to do the trick.
    Things to be aware of, how old if the Wi-Fi device you are using? The reason I ask this is that the Wi-Fi in my iPhone 11 is faster than the Macbook which I am using to type. 

If you run the same test at the router location are speeds better?
  • Options
    Glovepup said:

Things to be aware of, how old if the Wi-Fi device you are using? The reason I ask this is that the Wi-Fi in my iPhone 11 is faster than the Macbook which I am using to type. 

If you run the same test at the router location are speeds better?
    500mb in room with router.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The standard virgin routers aren’t great, i use one but im in a flat so no problems. For bigger houses its worth getting a pricier router for around 70-100, the signal they produce is much better.

Why do you need 1 gig internet anyway?
  • Options
    I have virgin 250Mb/s, but have disabled the WIFI and router on it as its rubbish.  configured my own cheap router.  For guaranteed access I use wired connections limiting each port to 100Mb. I have a seperate WIFI for the kids which I throttle to 60Mb.

WIFI in general is rubbish. If you live in a  built up area. everyone elses wifi conflicts with yours. even where a WIFI hub has auto channel selection. it just takes a couple of other people in the area to reboot their hub for it to clash with yours. That increases your error rate to due to multiple hubs on same frequency.  Thats why it works for a few days and then you have to reboot.

As well as that every device in your home connecting to the WIFI degrades the performance (especially with home models)

You will never get the maximum speed of your broadband from  WIFI unless you live 300 yards away from your nearest neighbour, and have only one device connecting to it

Just tested my PC for work and its 96Mb/s - even while I am on a conf call and the missus is streaming netflix to the tv. For WIFI, let them eat cake

• Options
    Thanks all, food for thought.

When I move I'd like to keep Sky Q to keep peace in the household :smile: but favour VM broadband just because they can provide much much faster speeds. A check on my new postcode says 50-72mb for non Virgin which is the same as where I am now although over wifi I struggle to get much over 30mb most of the time.

Hasn't been a huge problem although over lockdown sometimes video calls would freeze when the kids were also on them or streaming and as WFH at least half the week looks to be the new normal it might be wise to upgrade.
  • Options
    SamB09 said:

The standard virgin routers aren’t great, i use one but im in a flat so no problems. For bigger houses its worth getting a pricier router for around 70-100, the signal they produce is much better.

Why do you need 1 gig internet anyway?
    I tried the entry level broadband, and the speed was not great at the bottom of the garden (what do you expect) so needed higher speed to get the thing to do it’s thing.

Basically the fastest one they did, I tried my own booster boxes pre virgin (BT) got so much grief from my sons about internet speeds, so wanted to shut them up!!
  • Options

Room above router.
  • Options
    Still don’t get why Virgin’s broadband is symmetrical up and down
  • Options
    Anyone ever left Sky broadband early in their contract? Can’t seem to get a straight answer as to whether I’d have to pay an early cancellation fee. 

We can get 300MB fibre to premises from trooli for the same as what we currently pay for our sky fibre which never exceeds 35mb
  • Options
    I left Virgin recently due to poor service. Had 300MB with them - now on Sky 150 and its fine for our busy household. Have you called Sky and tried negotiating? I have been so pleased with Skys customer service too.
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    Anyone ever left Sky broadband early in their contract? Can’t seem to get a straight answer as to whether I’d have to pay an early cancellation fee. 

We can get 300MB fibre to premises from trooli for the same as what we currently pay for our sky fibre which never exceeds 35mb
    I’ve left sky a couple of days ago. I did call them in October to see if I could end the contract early. The answer was that I could but only if I paid the remaining few months up. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was with virgin for many years but switched to BT FTTP when they finally admitted (confirmed in writing) that there was a capacity problem in the BR5 area in that they massively oversubscribed and it was affecting performance.  Nothing more frustrating than paying top dollar for their top package and time after time team calls would drop out on an ethernet connection.

No such issues with BT.  Had it installed in Jan and it hasnt missed a beat since.  Cant knock Virgin too much as they were excellent for years for me but lockdown totally fucked the service.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    I switched to Virgin a few months back and got their "Ultimate Oomph" package.

Superfast broadband, all the TV channels available, free landline calls and an unlimited data SIM for my mobile - all for less than half the price I was paying a combo of Sky/BT/O2 before. 

Very happy with them.
    Still very happy with them, and still saving half the dosh I was laying out before every month.
  • Options
    Virgin media oversubscribes and creates a capacity issue. They try to bluff it out saying that it is engineering issues. They can be ok but terrible when there is a problem. It is a challenge to get to talk to anyone. I had to upgrade highest speed so that when they reduce the speed, due to capacity issues the connection doesn't breakdown. Its holding together but does fall down, usually at problematic times for work.

New subscribers can get good deals but existing subscribers can't access . You have to renegotiate your deal with them and threaten to leave if you don't want to let you keep the price. Its a pain to up and leave but is the best to access the new customer deals from another provider.

If you have any choice your are best advised to avoid Virgin unless you have got a good deal. 
  • Options
    Does the new legislation I saw on the news today about companies not being able to offer favourable deals to new customers over old customers apply to Virgin and Sky etc... I can't see why it wouldn't.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited December 2021
    Not seen news today, if that's the case that's a good thing. It's ok if you are a position to switch but if not you are stuck with just one provider for an ultra fast connection, essential for working from home.
    I have heard talk about in the past. Is it proposed legislation or legislation passed and to come into force now or at some point in the future ?
  • Options
    If I heard the news correctly, it is as of now. They were using the main example as car insurance but said it affected other industries.
  • Options
    Got told by Sky yesterday that it’ll cost me £107 to end my contract early! Looks like I’ll be waiting a few months at least then. 

Anyone else on here gone for Trooli yet? Seem to be very busy all over Kent right now installing their own network of fibre. 

• Options
    Anyone ditched the TV with Virgin but kept the broadband?
    I'm guessing as an existing customers price won't be very favourable?
  • Options
    If you're doing that the best way to get a good deal is to ring up and give your 30 days notice (you can change your mind later if need be). You should then receive a follow up call within a few days from their retention team who are authorised to give you far better deals than standard customer service are able to. Make sure you've ticked the marketing calls box in your account preferences or Virgin/the retentions department won't be able to contact you.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I ditched Virgin about a year ago. Called them and asked what their best price was for broadband and the landline. Said at the start that it wasn't call where I wanted to say I'm leaving to cut a better deal, as I'd been with them for 12 years.

I was quoted £53 p/m. I questioned the price as seemed quite steep considering it was over 50% of my existing monthly deal. They were steadfast with their price so I said I had no alternative but to look elsewhere.

Called BT and was offered broadband and the landline for £39.99. They even offered another £5 off of my mobile phone bill if I switched that over. So I did.

I was then able use either of the networks for about 2 weeks (may be 20 days). 2 days before the end of that 20 day period Virgin called me back and said they could do it for £34.99. I told them had they offered that to me previously then I wouldn't be now telling them to poke their deal.