Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Virgin Media Broadband

Comments

• I’m on the M350 package, couldn’t recommend it enough. Only problem I had was when I ordered it they told me it would be 6 weeks for them to lay the cable down my street but within a week they had done it & I was switched on. Amazing speeds plus if I’ve ever needed anything they’ve been good at sorting
  • One little publicised feature of the 'free' broadband hubs is the limit on the number of attached devices.  For the Virgin Superhub 3 I believe it is only 10.  That may sound a lot until you remember to include potentially your TV, V6 box, phones, tablets, kindles etc and now smart devices.  It is one of the reasons for running the hubs in modem mode and getting your own router/hub.
  • After reading this I have just now phoned Virgin to complain about my bill, and they have cut it by £10.50 a month (was £69.50).
  • seth plum said:
    After reading this I have just now phoned Virgin to complain about my bill, and they have cut it by £10.50 a month (was £69.50).
    I was going to ask the question did people phone up after their fixed contract ended to try and get a better price :smiley:
  • It's probably best to set up as a new customer again with VM, if you can do so within your household.
  • mendonca said:
    It's probably best to set up as a new customer again with VM, if you can do so within your household.

Do they come and install new equipment? Did you give a month notice on your old contract and did you loose any service?
  • mendonca said:
    It's probably best to set up as a new customer again with VM, if you can do so within your household.

Do they come and install new equipment? Did you give a month notice on your old contract and did you loose any service?
    No they know people do it and swallow it, thousands more don't do it so their margin remains decent 

One thing I'll say about virgin media is their product when working is very good. The moment you encounter difficulties it's a whole different tale.

Their workmanship is pretty sub standard too, you can always tell when they have dug somewhere because the surface will turn from even tarmac to an undulating rickety ankle trap. And whoever said about them sticking a cable under shingle on a driveway.... That cable is meant to be buried for a reason but all the while you don't trip on it and smash your teeth out all is good I suppose 
  • Received an email from BT , trying to charge me over £300 for leaving BT , think they may be getting a phone call!
  • seth plum said:
    After reading this I have just now phoned Virgin to complain about my bill, and they have cut it by £10.50 a month (was £69.50).
    I was going to ask the question did people phone up after their fixed contract ended to try and get a better price :smiley:
    I always ring a few days before the contract ends and ask to be put through to retentions.
    I'm currently on a £25pm discount and have not paid the full price for about 5 years.
  • I always ring a few days before the contract ends and ask to be put through to retentions.
    I'm currently on a £25pm discount and have not paid the full price for about 5 years.
    Thrifty, love it
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone else having TV issues with Virgin at the moment?

• No TV issues - but I did a notice that their website is “down”. 
  • Virgin working fine my way. 
  • edited February 2020
    Anyone else having TV issues with Virgin at the moment?

I haven't got round to complaining yet but for a month or so I have been experiencing minor picture break up. Nothing too bad, but bad enough to be annoying. 

I was being lazy and thinking it can't just be me and hoping that it would get sorted, but no sign of it. Pretty sure it is the signal rather than the box.
  • Anyone else having TV issues with Virgin at the moment?

I haven't got round to complaining yet but for a month or so I have been experiencing minor picture break up. Nothing too bad, but bad enough to be annoying. 

I was being lazy and thinking it can't just be me and hoping that it would get sorted, but no sign of it. Pretty sure it is the signal rather than the box.
    I believe it’s the signal as I have been experiencing the same occasionally. As you say, it’s not bad but can be frustrating. 
  • edited February 2020
    If it was freeview I'd be understanding but it isn't great for a paid service. They must have had complaints about it and at the very least should be apologising to customers. One of my reasons for holding back is I am seriously thinking about leaving Virgin. 
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Same applies to all providers though, switch the free wifi router to modem only and invest in a proper mesh network like Linksys Velop and you'll have few problems.  If its a critical connection, use ethernet.

Wish I’d seen this thread a couple of weeks ago - moved into a new place and got M350 installed. Was painfully slow from their router (eg 18mb/s), I think due to having Hue lights, Echos etc so some devices would drop off or I’d be 3 bars full on the Wi-fi signal indicator of my phone but unable to load anything online. Did some investigating and bought the Eero mesh Wi-fi from Amazon - absolute game changer and now getting 300mb even at the furthest point away!
  • I really despise the way they operate.  Had come to the end of a contract negotiated from when my Dad was still alive to get BT Sports and my Mum’s monthly bill jumped to 63.50. Phoned them to get a better deal and was told 59.50 the best they could offer. Asked to be put through to cancellations and by the end the monthly deal is 21.75. My Mum (91 and deaf) would never have been able to challenge them - charlatans 🤬
  • Sky run an absolute scam with their equipment insurance. Must catch loads of old people in it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2020
    Uboat said:
    Sky run an absolute scam with their equipment insurance. Must catch loads of old people in it. 
    That's the industry unfortunately; a huge amount of margin in accounts that site there automatically renewing also @addickson

Virgin Media's broadband is the best going if you can get it and their customer service has improved a lot in recent years - their call centres up in Scotland are first class.

For the proper discounts you need to get through to retentions. Not sure if it's the case any more but it certainly was not too long ago, but for the A1 discounts you need to go through with a switch to a competitor at the end of your contract and then speak to retentions after they're received the request to port you over to e.g. Sky. Then once you've got that discount cancel the switch within that 14 day cooling-off period.
  • mendonca said:
    Virgin have got a deal at the moment my broadband phone line is up soon.
    Deal is £75 they told me £95.
    I Said what if I get the wife to ring up two months after the contract finishes , was told it would then be £75
  • Hopefully being installed tomorrow, we’ve got BT call minder as a phone system, as got fed up of people phoning up whilst we were having tea trying to flog me this or that energy deal, will it still be able to work if I’m moving over to Virgin for broadband and telephone, or will I need to replace the phones, or will it just mean the Bt call minder won’t work as we’re not with BT for phone line any more?
  • Uboat said:
    Sky run an absolute scam with their equipment insurance. Must catch loads of old people in it. 

For the proper discounts you need to get through to retentions. Not sure if it's the case any more but it certainly was not too long ago, but for the A1 discounts you need to go through with a switch to a competitor at the end of your contract and then speak to retentions after they're received the request to port you over to e.g. Sky. Then once you've got that discount cancel the switch within that 14 day cooling-off period.
    That's interesting as I'm approaching that phase. I have complete confidence in my ability to fuck it up. 
  • Mobile operator O2 and broadband giant Virgin Media are to merge, creating one of the UK's largest entertainment and telecoms firms and a major rival to BT.

Liberty Global, which owns Virgin Media, and Spain's Telefonica, which owns O2, said they had agreed terms for joining forces.

O2 is the UK's largest phone company with about 34 million users.

Virgin has about six million broadband and cable TV customers and another three million mobile users.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52570593

• Probably why O2 and Carphone Warehouse parted ways recently
  • Had a very strange experience with Virgin, I was with them for 8 years & one day my broadband stopped working & I had never bothered to get a phone for my landline (as had 2 mobiles) so couldn't check if the phone was working. I actually thought it was my ethernet cable so bought a new one. Plugged it in & still doesn't work, phoned Virgin & they informed me that somebody at my address had requested it be disconnected. Told them that this other person doesn't live at my address & never has done. End result was i was told that my service would be back on next morning. It wasn't. I phoned again & they told me that I asked for the service to be disconnected ??????? After asking why I would request for my service to be disconnected I then said I need urgent reconnection to be told that a form needs to be completed in their reconnection dept & reconnection takes between 48 & 72 hours !!! No matter what I said they just kept repeating the same shit over & over so I hung up. (Yes I know not a great move) After a further 4 phonecalls & repeatedly told my service would be restored within 72 hours I received an email asking why I hadn't returned my Virgin owned equipment & unless I do I will be charged for them. In one of my phone calls to virgin they said that it's not possible to have two accounts at the same address which is why they cut me off. So I asked why they didn't contact me as there was already an account there & they said they thought that I had moved out as a new account had been applied for. I pointed out that it was unlikely that I had moved out when I was still paying my bill. Silence ! They then said they would have to speak to their supervisor. Rapidly losing the will to live I gave up & started looking at other providers & eventually went with EE & I’m now getting the same service for almost half the cost. The strange thing was I started receiving bills for this other person which I returned to sender but Virgin obviously hadn’t made a new connection so why the bills & why would someone I’ve never heard of apply for Broadband at my address when they wouldn’t have access to the bills if it was some “proof of address” scam. Bizarre !!!

• Moving home soon and thinking of dropping Sky Broadband for Virgin for the speeds, but want to keep Sky Q.

Anyone had any issues with mixing Virgin Broadband with Sky Q TV?
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Moving home soon and thinking of dropping Sky Broadband for Virgin for the speeds, but want to keep Sky Q.

I have virgin fibre broadband and Sky Q mate. No problems at all. 

• Rob7Lee said:
    Moving home soon and thinking of dropping Sky Broadband for Virgin for the speeds, but want to keep Sky Q.

I have virgin fibre broadband and Sky Q mate. No problems at all. 

Cheers. Do you have multi room (Sky Q Mini)?