Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Blackheath Tea Hut

Comments

• Options
    Part of Sarf London .Hope the people injured and the cafe recover soon
  • Options
    The hut seems to have been there forever.
    I'm guessing i drove past it in the 1970's, maybe the 60's.

Hope the lady makes a full recovery.
  • Options
    Tom_Hovi said:
    Curb_It said:
    You would’ve seen it AFKA. Unless you drive past blindfolded!

i don’t agree with the fund raising pages being set up to raise money for the owners. This may sound bad but they can hardly be skint and surely the insurance will cover it. 

I’d have thought they would have insurance but perhaps given the nature of the location and the fact it was destroyed in a similar way a number of years ago, perhaps there are limitations to what it covers. 

When the little cafe in Charlton Park was seriously vandalised early last year, it turned out that the insurance didn’t cover the building due to the perceived flimsy wooden construction of it - hence the crowdfunding there to help get them up and running again. 

Whatever the circumstances, I wish them well and those injured a full recovery.  
    Surely a claim would be made against the driver insurance not the huts.
  • Options
    Alan’s new snack bar surely
  • Options
    Am I the only one who has never heard of this tea hut before? 
    Struth, have your driver point out where it was next time your pass. 😉
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    You would’ve seen it AFKA. Unless you drive past blindfolded!

i don’t agree with the fund raising pages being set up to raise money for the owners. This may sound bad but they can hardly be skint and surely the insurance will cover it. 

You would think the car driver's insurance would pay, assuming the driver had insurance.  If not, there's compensation available for people affected by uninsured drivers, I believe.
  • Options
    Wtf was the driver doing - how on earth did they end up taking the hut out given it's location?
  • Options
    My friend's dad owned that until the '90s (I think).  A source of free tea when passing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was going to go there for breakfast today. 

Go there fairly often. Will know the person injured by sight at least, hope they recover well.
  • Options
    The Blackheath Society have been trying to close it for years, saying its an eyesore and a traffic hazard. Any new hut will need planning permission so expect a row about that. Used to do fabulous sausage sandwiches. 
  • Options
    I hope it is replaced with something architecturally pleasing.
    And it goes vegan😊
  • Options
    A pit stop for many a night duty/early turn.
    Hope she makes a full recovery 🙏🏻
  • Options

There has been a site for refreshments on that spot for 500 years. Not sure how old the latest incarnation is..
  • Options
    Do the Blacheath Society go around measuring the height of people's hanging baskets and asking small businesses to take their little advertising boards away. Had that at my shop up Grove Park, Lewisham Council coming in telling me they had a complaint about my little ice cream board and can I take it away. Wouldn't mind but the pavement was about 4 meter wide outside the shop. Ponces probably not even from Blackheath 
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

There has been a site for refreshments on that spot for 500 years. Not sure how old the latest incarnation is..
    Rumour has it a young Richard Turpin would stop there on his way home from The Venue and even made a detour to go past it during his famed 300 mile ride to York to rest Black Bess and have cuppa tea
  • Options
    The home of the Pineapple Cheese Burger, which I have been eating for over 40 years. A little bit of our local history, that I’ve visited with many a lady in the early hours over the years.  I’m sure it will return... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wtf was the driver doing - how on earth did they end up taking the hut out given it's location?
    I can only assume “turning right just before the cafe, after coming from blackheath hill. He’s overshot the turning” but that’s some miscalculation! 
  • Options
    Sure that's where they done the mushroom burger an all?
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    I can only assume “turning right just before the cafe, after coming from blackheath hill. He’s overshot the turning” but that’s some miscalculation! 
    Heard online that the car was speeding overtaking the slow moving traffic  down tbe middle of the road (direction, heading towards Sun In The Sands / Shooters Hill from Deptford) and it swerved to missed a motor doing something at that junction. Only speculation, but that would tie in with the statement from the owner
  • Options
    Am I the only one who has never heard of this tea hut before? 
    Seriously?!

Everyone in a 50 mile radius has heard of it!
  • Options

Looks like the work of the Blackheath Society.  Found the following report from 2003. Refreshments served there since Henry VIII it suggests.

Lorry drivers tea hut standing firm

17th April 2003

Lorry drivers’ tea hut standing firm

o    A lorry drivers' tea hut is the only fly in the ointment in a 50 year multi-million pound improvement plan for Blackheath.

o    Residents' group Blackheath Society has been trying for 30 years to move Blackheath Tea Hut from its current location as it says it is an eyesore and traffic hazard.

o    The group has been unable to move the 24-hour cafe as Lewisham Council refuses to stop leasing the land.

o    So the Blackheath Joint Working Party (BJWP), representing residents and Greenwich and Lewisham councils, plans to remove parking around the tea hut effectively closing it.

o    But owners Peter Gore and Cathy Murphy are not giving up their business without a fight.

o    Mrs Murphy collected 850 signatures over two days in favour of the tea hut staying where it is.

o    She said: "There are a few residents with a lot of power who have been trying to close us down for 30 years. We are the last place lorry drivers can stop on their way into London and we have lots of groups who use the tea hut as a meeting point.

o    "The claim the tea hut is a traffic hazard is just being used to try to shut us down by people who don't like us."

o    A tea hut has been situated at the corner of Shooters Hill and Goffers Road since at least 1971 but records of a refreshment station on the site go back to the time of Henry VIII.

o    Local historian and BJWP member Neil Rhind said: "Blackheath was recently decreed a World Heritage Site and it seems a pity the squalor of the tea hut is there to blight it."

o    Blackheath Tea Hut is charged rates by Lewisham Council both as a mobile vendor and as a fixed-premise vendor.

o    BJWP consists of residents' groups, Greenwich Council, Lewi-sham Council, English Heritage and Royal Parks Agency.

o    Plans which cover a number of issues and look set to cost £2m for the next 50 years in Blackheath are available for public consultation at libraries until May 7.

• Options

Looks like the work of the Blackheath Society.  Found the following report from 2003. Refreshments served there since Henry VIII it suggests.

Lorry drivers tea hut standing firm

17th April 2003

Lorry drivers’ tea hut standing firm

o    A lorry drivers' tea hut is the only fly in the ointment in a 50 year multi-million pound improvement plan for Blackheath.

o    Residents' group Blackheath Society has been trying for 30 years to move Blackheath Tea Hut from its current location as it says it is an eyesore and traffic hazard.

o    The group has been unable to move the 24-hour cafe as Lewisham Council refuses to stop leasing the land.

o    So the Blackheath Joint Working Party (BJWP), representing residents and Greenwich and Lewisham councils, plans to remove parking around the tea hut effectively closing it.

o    But owners Peter Gore and Cathy Murphy are not giving up their business without a fight.

o    Mrs Murphy collected 850 signatures over two days in favour of the tea hut staying where it is.

o    She said: "There are a few residents with a lot of power who have been trying to close us down for 30 years. We are the last place lorry drivers can stop on their way into London and we have lots of groups who use the tea hut as a meeting point.

o    "The claim the tea hut is a traffic hazard is just being used to try to shut us down by people who don't like us."

o    A tea hut has been situated at the corner of Shooters Hill and Goffers Road since at least 1971 but records of a refreshment station on the site go back to the time of Henry VIII.

o    Local historian and BJWP member Neil Rhind said: "Blackheath was recently decreed a World Heritage Site and it seems a pity the squalor of the tea hut is there to blight it."

o    Blackheath Tea Hut is charged rates by Lewisham Council both as a mobile vendor and as a fixed-premise vendor.

o    BJWP consists of residents' groups, Greenwich Council, Lewi-sham Council, English Heritage and Royal Parks Agency.

o    Plans which cover a number of issues and look set to cost £2m for the next 50 years in Blackheath are available for public consultation at libraries until May 7.

Think I remember that now
  • Options
    I find it amazing that a group of tossers are bothered about a tiny tea hut that provides a valuable service. The phrase 'get a f***ing life' springs to mind.
     But but but lorry drivers and taxi drivers and mods and all sorts of people the Blackheath society don’t want to be near the heath use it. 
  • Options
    Suspect it's getting in the way of something they want to do with the land.