Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most Momentous .. Back to the Valley .. Or This Takeover

Comments

• Options
    Back to the Valley. Close the thread
  • Options
    Back to the Valley, with out doubt. 

I would even suggest that the last to take overs were more important than this one. 

Under RD we were going no where, under the spivs and Murray there was a real chance would could have ended up like Bolton or worse. 
  • Options
    I realise now that the question/choice was premature, who knows what the future holds .. I'll rephrase it as soon as possible after we win the Champions League ((:>)
  • Options
    We don't even know if this lot are any good yet! I'm really hopeful and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, just like I did with Roland when helpful Belgians were coming on here spreading (correct) doom, but they could turn out to be worse than him, we just don't know yet. Back to The Valley on the other hand could only be right.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Neither. Being saved by Sunley. 
    I wondered about this too. Swansea away was going to be our last ever game before charlton1984 was formed. We lost 1.0 at the vetch field in the February...

Then the next year we had the move thrust on us, 
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/28877/notice-from-the-chairman-7th-of-september

And some great years and events followed in the lead up to the return to se7. So for me this takeover and the return are not comparable, and I will abstain, thanks all the same.
    I was at Swansea for that one (we should've had a pen in the last minute). To be honest, we'd had so many "last" games that season, it didn't dawn on me that it could actually be true.....then a few days later we got the bad news. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Neither. Being saved by Sunley. 
    I wondered about this too. Swansea away was going to be our last ever game before charlton1984 was formed. We lost 1.0 at the vetch field in the February...

Then the next year we had the move thrust on us, 
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/28877/notice-from-the-chairman-7th-of-september

And some great years and events followed in the lead up to the return to se7. So for me this takeover and the return are not comparable, and I will abstain, thanks all the same.
    good post .. there are always consequences from any action/set of actions .. or something like that
  • Options
    Ridiculous to even compare the two. Roland might be a bit of a dickhead and tight fisted but he always paid the bills and never put the club’s very existence in doubt. And, it’s day one of the new ownership - we have no idea yet if they will be good owners or not - only fullness of time will give us that answer. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Exile to Shitehurst was an immediate existential threat. 

Duchatelet was a longer term existential threat - and it’s important to remember that. It was only masked by the heroics performed by Bowyer and co. 

But BTTV was the more momentous event. 
  • Options
    Back to The Valley for me, although we may have survived at another ground, but if we'd lost the Leeds playoff in 1987 that could have been the end.
  • Options
    Time will tell but I think back to the Valley is so fundamental it can’t be passed by anything.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Back to the valley will be always be the most important day in our clubs history 
  • Options
    No question at all - the return! Come on!
  • Options
    The return.  No comparison 
  • Options
    Back to the valley will be always be the most important day in our clubs history 
    I so hope you are right.
  • Options
    Take overs come and go, but there's only two back to The Valley.
  • Options

Back to the Valley. Thought Roland would go eventually. Didn’t always think we’d come home.
  • Options
    Ric inspired Back to the Valley.
  • Options
    Valley, no question
  • Options
    Has to be back to the Valley, what a day that was.
  • Options
    Back to the Valley
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Takeovers are a fact of football. Saving your club and getting them home is once in a lifetime. 
  • Options
    Back to the Valley, no question about that. Don’t think we would be here today if we hadn’t returned. 
  • Options
    Not even close. Back to The Valley----- home
  • Options
    It's gunna feel a bit like that first game back at the valley for me this Sunday as it's been so long since I've set foot in the ground coz of the rat but back to valley for me, though this is right up there!
  • Options
    Back to the valley all day. That was about Charlton getting back home. 
  • Options
    Back to The Valley for me, although we may have survived at another ground, but if we'd lost the Leeds playoff in 1987 that could have been the end.
    Top post. 29th May 1987 was quite possibly the most momentous of the lot, with the Sunley takeover being another good candidate.
  • Options
    The Valley, although I would still argue for St Andrews in '87.
  • Options
    All day long.
  • Options
    I followed our team over at Selhurst, and Upton Parks, and hearring opposition supporters taunting us by singing "You ain't got no proper home"' wasn' good.  So, coming home to the Valley was, for me the best moment of my time as an Addick, well, perhaps, Chris Duffy's goal at Wembly in 1947 took some beating, but then, I was only a schoolboy.  The fight to get back to the Valley, showed everyone what it was to be a Charlton fan.  Onwards and upwards now please.
  • Options
    Silly question