Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Notice from the chairman 7th of September

edited September 2009 in General Charlton
Fans were hit with the bombshell news,contained in a leaflet distributed before the match that Charlton had agreed to move home to share Selhurst Park with Crystal Palace. I for one remember the circumstances very well. The mood inside the ground that afternoon was something of hatred for some and astonishment for others. The opponents that day was Crystal Palace. Coincidence? I don't think so. Of course the year is 1985.

Comments

• Options
    Bloody hell.

I opened it up expecting it to be news on the takeover released today

GGRRRRRRR
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Lewis Coaches[/cite]Fans were hit with the bombshell news,contained in a leaflet distributed before the match that Charlton had agreed to move home to share Selhurst Park with Crystal Palace. I for one remember the circumstances very well. The mood inside the ground that afternoon was something of hatred for some and astonishment for others. The opponents that day was Crystal Palace. Coincidence? I don't think so. Of course the year is 1985.

The match where we were awarded 3 penalties.

We had no warning at all, until we were handed a leaflet as we came through the turnstiles.
    People were gobsmacked.

Thank you John Sunley
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Thank you John Sunley

John Fryer of Bernard Sunley you old plastic.
  • Options
    Remember it well. Stunned is an understatement. The 'final' game v Stoke was the one that lives in my memory though. Guy climbing the floodlights, coffin on the pitch. Was the start of something great as it turned out. The true Charlton spirit! Something we hope to see a bit of this season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]

Ha! Freudian slip ...... memory made a mess of that one - but old plastic?
    How many matches do you have to have seen since 1964 before you're not regarded as a plastic ....?

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]

Actually, I thought that John Fryer was the little fella with the glasses who became chairman but that there was also a John Sunley in the background. Might be wrong.
  • Options
    Here you go, from the Sunley website (surprised they are still going actually!)

"The Group Chairman is John Sunley, the son of the late Bernard Sunley, who founded the Group as a landscaping design contract business in the 1920's."
  • Options
    So was I right or wrong ....?

I remember the little Arthur Askey fella with thick black rimmed glasses - kicking a ball about on The Valley pitch in his suit.
    Always told us he was a lifelong Charlton supporter.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]So was I right or wrong ....?

I remember the little Arthur Askey fella with thick black rimmed glasses - kicking a ball about on The Valley pitch in his suit.

I reckon you're right Oggy. John Sunley called the shots, but they stuck John Fryer into bat as he had some sort of affiliation for the club.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]

I reckon you're right Oggy. John Sunley called the shots, but they stuck John Fryer into bat as he had some sort of affiliation for the club.

Hang on there a moment, weren't there a Bernard Fryer?? ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]Remember it well. Stunned is an understatement. The 'final' game v Stoke was the one that lives in my memory though. Guy climbing the floodlights, coffin on the pitch. Was the start of something great as it turned out. The true Charlton spirit! Something we hope to see a bit of this season.[/quote]

Yeah I remeber that guy up there and the fans chanting at him "have a piss, have a piss, have a piss...."
  • Options
    I was -2 months at this time. My mum was on the pitch with me in her stomach
  • Options
    Remember it well. Was strange being handed the sheet of paper as knew nowt about it before that. Guess there is no way this would not of been known in advance now, the joys of the interweb! Though no doubt it would of been lost amongst a torrent of other FACTS so might of slipped by unnoticed.
  • Options
    Don't wanna read this...still bear the emotional scars..!
  • Options
    I thought it was a practical joke as someone thrust one at me outside the Covered End turnstyles......shock and horror is an understatement
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]Remember it well. Was strange being handed the sheet of paper as knew nowt about it before that. Guess there is no way this would not of been known in advance now, the joys of the interweb! Though no doubt it would of been lost amongst a torrent of other FACTS so might of slipped by unnoticed.

There was an article in the previous weeks Sidcup Times rumouring the move but I just dismissed it at the time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]

The late John Fryer was the Chairman - and he was definitely a long time Charlton fan. John Sunley (also a Charlton fan) took over the family business from his dad and although provided the backing it was Fryer who called the shots.
  • Options
    Bump this is Charltons History........Bump
  • Options
    anyone got a link for the vid where the fans are protesting on the Valley pitch about the move? I remember seeing it a while back
  • Options
    Now that the club is owned by a single person, this can easily happen again.

The Chairman has already stated that the club is not viable in L1, and as we have only had 4 shots on target in the last 2 games, promotion is far from certain.

Don't be surprised one Saturday afternoon if you are handed a leaflet giving our new name/ground/division information.

RM has said that the key to profitability this year would be "walk-up" spectators, but to get these you have to be playing well.

A 1-0 defeat at Exeter and a home draw with Oldham hardly inspires anyone.

Sorry to be neg - but these are worrying times in football generally and we are not well placed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valiantphil[/cite]Now that the club is owned by a single person, this can easily happen again.

The Chairman has already stated that the club is not viable in L1, and as we have only had 4 shots on target in the last 2 games, promotion is far from certain.

Don't be surprised one Saturday afternoon if you are handed a leaflet giving our new name/ground/division information.

RM has said that the key to profitability this year would be "walk-up" spectators, but to get these you have to be playing well.

Sorry to be neg - but these are worrying times in football generally and we are not well placed.

thats not negative its down right horrible and not even funny
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Valiantphil[/cite]Now that the club is owned by a single person, this can easily happen again.

I beg to differ, I think Valiant is talking the truth and it seems with most Charlton fans, they can't take the truth. Realism over optimism sometimes.
  • Options
    That negativity is no more 'realism', than airy fairy blind optimism.

Just a worst case scenario.
  • Options
    Why exactly would a Chairman who not only loves the club, but needs it to be successful again financially, sign its death warrant by moving it 3 weeks into the season? Strange idea. Not a time tom pretend nothing's wrong, but not on a par with playing in Croydon just yet.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Sir Chrissy[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]

I beg to differ, I think Valiant is talking the truth and it seems with most Charlton fans, they can't take the truth. Realism over optimism sometimes.

rubbish are you honestly telling me that you think we are close to ground sharing away from the valley again

i have heard some bollox on here and i am guilty to writing loads of it

but that is the biggest load of bollox i have ever read

dont mascarade opinion into truth and dont hide your negativity behind us losing our home again

if you were around when it happend before then more fool you for your opinion now

if you wernt then it is not a subject to be so flippant about
  • Options
    Sorry but my point was about people facing the truth in this club. They can't seem to face it, yes I probably do agree with you that we aren't near that point, however, the point Valiant was trying to make was the fact that if we continue to struggle then Murray has said we will not be able to cope. His views on the future maybe are a little extreme, but the point I was trying to make is that Charlton fans can't seem to face the truth sometimes, can't take criticism.
  • Options
    No you said valiant is talking the truth and valiant says that we could well be facing loosing our home again

Your point about reality is lost when you attach it to a comment like that.

That will never happen again I would bet my house on it.

Read up on why we left what the ground was going to be developed into

And read how ridiculous the comment is

Find a better example for you to state that charlton fans are not being realistic
  • Options
    Well my mistake then really eh. My point wasn't attached to the fact we could lose the Valley, my point was that we could find ourselves in trouble, which even Murray has admitted himself.
  • Options
    You won't find anyone on here denying that especially not me.

I think we are in a real pivotal point in our history.

I even likend the letter I received telling me my shares were gone to the letter I got in my Programe that day.

However I was careful not to liken the result of RM Taking over as sole owner to the dreadful fate that we faced bk in 85

And anyone taking or making flippant remarks about it happening again should be reminded that it was not and is not something to take litely
  • Options
    Okay well, you speak well and seem to know what you are talking about and I respect that. Hope you understand slightly where I was coming from? Obviously not the right comment to make it with, but that was my mistake.