Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Injury news

Comments

• Chuks Aneke has nearly always had injury problems.

He only played 41 games in 2 seasons in Belgian, then was injured for almost a year and signed for MK Dons injured. Missed a third of their season 2 years ago, but then seemed to have put his issues behind him last year. 

It's no real surprise he's injured, but more surprising that for such a big bloke, he's apparently made of straw.
  • Like everybody else,I find it very frustrating when ball players are kicked off the park,and referees do nothing.There is an answer,in days gone by,small players,Johnny giles,Bremner,Bobby Collins,Paul Scholes,would make it quite clear that any untoward play would be the subject of severe retribution,therefore these guys and many others would command respect.Players like Cullen,Williams etc.,must stand up for themselves and if on the end of a bad assault,either they or a suitably equipped team mate should offer their assistance.I am not condoning foul play,but sometimes there is no alternative.How many times have us former park players identified the best player on the other side and give him an early clattering,only 10 minutes later to finish up on our arses not knowing what to hold first.Sometimes needs must.
    totally agree .. problem is in this contemporary upside down world, it's all too often the retaliator not the instigator who attracts punishment.
    @ForeverAddickted and myself have opined on here that referees should make note of who is getting kicked around and the players doing the kicking. He should then have a word with the team captain and state that the next player making a foul will be yellow or red carded.
    This problem of ball players being kicked out of the game is common right across the leagues. Maddison and Grealish are kicked around every single game. It must be stopped.  

He only played 41 games in 2 seasons in Belgian, then was injured for almost a year and signed for MK Dons injured. Missed a third of their season 2 years ago, but then seemed to have put his issues behind him last year. 

It's no real surprise he's injured, but more surprising that for such a big bloke, he's apparently made of straw.
    Muscle injuries are actually far more common in big blokes - large amounts of muscle density mean more tears and strains when performing activities like football.
  • I think Messi has reached a level where he is protected by refs. Williams is a terrific player but at a different level and he gets zero protection.
    And Messi doesn't have to play in a League that is so fast and physical.

• Like everybody else,I find it very frustrating when ball players are kicked off the park,and referees do nothing.There is an answer,in days gone by,small players,Johnny giles,Bremner,Bobby Collins,Paul Scholes,would make it quite clear that any untoward play would be the subject of severe retribution,therefore these guys and many others would command respect.Players like Cullen,Williams etc.,must stand up for themselves and if on the end of a bad assault,either they or a suitably equipped team mate should offer their assistance.I am not condoning foul play,but sometimes there is no alternative.How many times have us former park players identified the best player on the other side and give him an early clattering,only 10 minutes later to finish up on our arses not knowing what to hold first.Sometimes needs must.
    totally agree .. problem is in this contemporary upside down world, it's all too often the retaliator not the instigator who attracts punishment.
    @ForeverAddickted and myself have opined on here that referees should make note of who is getting kicked around and the players doing the kicking. He should then have a word with the team captain and state that the next player making a foul will be yellow or red carded.
    This problem of ball players being kicked out of the game is common right across the leagues. Maddison and Grealish are kicked around every single game. It must be stopped.  
    It is something that has always bothered me. Somebody punches you, it is natural to punch them back! Then you both get sent off. I think punching back can be classed as self defence.

Muscle injuries are actually far more common in big blokes - large amounts of muscle density mean more tears and strains when performing activities like football.
    That’s right. I am 6’4” and always had/have more than the usual muscle problems which can stem from nothing. 

That’s right. I am 6’4” and always had/have more than the usual muscle problems which can stem from nothing. 
    I'm the same height and back issues are my problem... Mine went for the first time in 2005 working for Sainsburys, every now and again I get really bad back pain out of the blue

Never really had any muscle problems though which is a surprise as I've done a lot of running
  • Talal said:
    Having Field back would be huge. Think he'd fare better without Cullen around than Pratley has and Pratley needs a break anyway.
    Or might mean Pratley can move to the back (far less running). 
  • Sponsored links:

• Seen clips on Insta of Lapslie doing bits with Chucks and Jonny so hopefully he's not too far away. His energy in midfield is desperately missed.
  • Simonsen said:
    Talal said:
    Having Field back would be huge. Think he'd fare better without Cullen around than Pratley has and Pratley needs a break anyway.
    Don't recall seeing him in a 2 though (really don't want to see 3 again). Regarding the centre backs I'm so tired of Sarr and Pearce at the moment I'd be inclined to give Lockyer and Oshilaja a try.
  • Talal said:
    Simonsen said:
    Talal said:
    Don't recall seeing him in a 2 though (really don't want to see 3 again). Regarding the centre backs I'm so tired of Sarr and Pearce at the moment I'd be inclined to give Lockyer and Oshilaja a try.
    Rochdale away was the one memory I've got... Definitely happened a few times though
  • Talal said:
    Simonsen said:
    Talal said:
    Rochdale away was the one memory I've got... Definitely happened a few times though
    Fair enough, from the start? I'd probably favour trying Oshilaja first given that's his main position.
  • edited December 2019
    Talal said:
    Talal said:
    Simonsen said:
    Talal said:
    Fair enough, from the start? I'd probably favour trying Oshilaja first given that's his main position.

We're so vulnerable to high balls into the box, especially under challenge from bigger strikers.

Can't help feel we should be looking to sign a pacier big '1st ball' CB to provide more aerial dominance - and who allows us to play a higher defensive line.

Somebody like Patrick Bauer would do.

• Talal said:
    Simonsen said:
    Talal said:
    Why not 3-5-2 with Matthews and Doughty as wing-backs? 

I'm the same height and back issues are my problem... Mine went for the first time in 2005 working for Sainsburys, every now and again I get really bad back pain out of the blue

Never really had any muscle problems though which is a surprise as I've done a lot of running
    Same here re my back
  • Simonsen said:
    Talal said:
    Simonsen said:
    Talal said:
    That's what we've been playing and it isn't working.
  • Talal said:
    Simonsen said:
    Talal said:
    Simonsen said:
    Talal said:
    Last night we played it with Solly and Purrington. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Simonsen said:
    Talal said:
    Simonsen said:
    Talal said:
    Simonsen said:
    Talal said:
    And it wasn't working either. :neutral:

• Oggy Red said:i
    Simonsen said:
    Talal said:
    Simonsen said:
    Talal said:
    Simonsen said:
    Talal said:
    And it wasn't working either. :neutral:

And that's my point. Play it with two attacking wide players rather than two who have no pace. 
  • Simonsen said:
    Talal said:
    Simonsen said:
    Talal said:
    Simonsen said:
    Talal said:
    I know. If we absolutely had to play wing backs then yes I'd prefer Matthews and Doughty, but I'd much rather no wing backs at all.
  • Talal said:
    Simonsen said:
    Talal said:
    Simonsen said:
    Talal said:
    Simonsen said:
    Talal said:
    I know. If we absolutely had to play wing backs then yes I'd prefer Matthews and Doughty, but I'd much rather no wing backs at all.
    Wing backs are fine with pacy able players who can get up and down the line, with the right players supporting them in a 3-5-2. 

Even in our 4-diamond-2 formation, both fullbacks really need to play as wing backs as and when required.
  • Talal said:
    Simonsen said:
    Talal said:
    Simonsen said:
    Talal said:
    Simonsen said:
    Talal said:
    Last night seemed to morph into 4-4-2 on the ball, with Sarr as left back and Purrington as left wing. 

If you go 4-4-2 then somebody has got to play right mid (Leko?) or you play narrow on the right (Gallagher?) a bit like Graham Stuart used to and maybe Pratley & Oshilaja in the middle. 

Or 3-4-1-2 with quite a bit of height (for us) 

Lockyer Pearce Sarr

Matthews Pratley Oshi Doughty

Gallagher

Taylor Bonne 
  • Sam Field as well as Williams, that's a bit of a bonus.
  • Hope Dillon will be okay for QPR...

Nothing against Maynard-Brewer but is he ready for this level having only played Conference South at best?

(Of course, Lapslie only ever played at that level on loan)