Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Injury news

Comments

• Options
    Tata farewell
  • Options
    Cawley saying "Hearing that Beram Kayal could need an operation and that set to be sidelined for a further 7-8 weeks."

Bye bye......and dont come back.

We must be one of the unluckiest clubs there is. Can only have a limited number of  loan players & one of them has hardly played....and when he did he was poor. Probably only decent game was at Bristol City.
  • Options
    Not sure that a fully fit Kayal is what we require. If possible, we should terminate his loan.
  • Options
    Cawley saying "Hearing that Beram Kayal could need an operation and that set to be sidelined for a further 7-8 weeks."

Who?
  • Options
    Not sure that a fully fit Kayal is what we require. If possible, we should terminate his loan.
    Sadly, having not seen a fully fit Kayal, it is difficult to know!
  • Options

Of course... Are we or Brighton paying his salary during this treatment that occurred on International duty... 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Return to sender. And if there was a way to send his mate back with him that would be good. I think Brighton saw us coming with this pair 
  • Options
    Return to sender. And if there was a way to send his mate back with him that would be good. I think Brighton saw us coming with this pair 
    Yep, they packaged them up as quality players in need of minutes as oppose to unfit and uninterested.
  • Options
    Yep, they packaged them up as quality players in need of minutes as oppose to unfit and uninterested.
    You could say that, but Kayal is a current International on loan from a Prem club - should be good enough for the Championship.
    Hemed has played plenty of Championship footy (BHA & QPR), but I think he may have had a fall out with LB (in a Fosu styleee).

We bought JFC from them, and no complaints, but perhaps they have not forgiven us for sending them "the worst loanee ever" - Obika.
  • Options
    You could say that, but Kayal is a current International on loan from a Prem club - should be good enough for the Championship.
    Hemed has played plenty of Championship footy (BHA & QPR), but I think he may have had a fall out with LB (in a Fosu styleee).

We bought JFC from them, and no complaints, but perhaps they have not forgiven us for sending them "the worst loanee ever" - Obika.
    I’m not doubting the ability of either player. Despite the meagre evidence so far, they both have very good track records. But from what I’ve seen of both, neither look remotely interested in being here. I’d love to be wrong but this has last minute panic buy duds written all over it. Send Kayal back and free that loan space up.  We’re stuck with Hemed unfortunately but at least we now are likely (hopefully) able to do something in January so he may just rot out the rest of his contract. Who knows, he may recover and prove to be a real asset but I’m not holding my breath. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
      We’re stuck with Hemed unfortunately but at least we now are likely (hopefully) able to do something in January so he may just rot out the rest of his contract.

Who knows, he may recover and prove to be a real asset but I’m not holding my breath. 
    Sometimes posters live up to their username. :smile:

I know it's just your opinion ..... but you don't really know what the situation is with Hemed.
    And if you don't know, why write stuff like that?

I'm sure we'll soon know one way or another what Hemed's situation is.
  • Options
    I'd send Kayal back in Jan and get a new loanee in. I'm not even sure we'd need a midfielder on loan anyway when everyone else is fit, Pratley, Cullen, Gallagher, Field, Lapslie, Morgan, Oztumer, Williams that's 2 per position. Leko, Taylor, Bonne and Hemed up top, Solly, Matthews, Page, Purrington, Sarr, Lockyer, Pearce, Oshilaja, Amos, Phillips that's 2 for every position, maybe get in another centre back, use Oshilaja as a utility player, another left back if Page is perma-crocked and a striker if Hemed isn't up to it, one of those can be the loanee that replaces Kayal
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Oggy Red said:
      We’re stuck with Hemed unfortunately but at least we now are likely (hopefully) able to do something in January so he may just rot out the rest of his contract.

Who knows, he may recover and prove to be a real asset but I’m not holding my breath. 

I know it's just your opinion ..... but you don't really know what the situation is with Hemed.

I wrote it because it is, as you say, my opinion. And this is a forum for discussion of opinions. It is an opinion based on no more than instinct honed from watching football for 50 odd years.  It may be complete tosh (I hope it is) but you develop a sense after while when someone is a waste of time. Hemed’s record last season at QPR, Brighton’s willingness to part with him and what I’ve seen (and not seen) so far this season incline me to think we have bought in desperation.  
  • Options
    Watch Morgan off the ball for 10 minutes and then watch Gallagher for another 10. Morgan needs a loan to a club like AFC Wimbledon IMO where he will add quality but also be required to do the ugly stuff. I have watched him for 10 minutes or so a few times to see if I am missing something and I am sure I am not.
    I thought Morgan put in a decent effort in his appearances this season. As he was one of the vomiting ones on Saturday, he wasn't at his best
  • Options
    He was ill on Saturday so not fair to judge him on that performance. But others, yes.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    sam3110 said:
    I'd send Kayal back in Jan and get a new loanee in. I'm not even sure we'd need a midfielder on loan anyway when everyone else is fit, Pratley, Cullen, Gallagher, Field, Lapslie, Morgan, Oztumer, Williams that's 2 per position. Leko, Taylor, Bonne and Hemed up top, Solly, Matthews, Page, Purrington, Sarr, Lockyer, Pearce, Oshilaja, Amos, Phillips that's 2 for every position, maybe get in another centre back, use Oshilaja as a utility player, another left back if Page is perma-crocked and a striker if Hemed isn't up to it, one of those can be the loanee that replaces Kayal
    All you’re saying is that we already pretty much have two in every position and that we don’t really need another player in midfield, but I actually disagree.

We may have the numbers when everyone is fit, but that just isn’t going to happen at one specific time. Then it’s all well and good having the numbers if everyone is fit, but that doesn’t account for quality and whether they’re good enough if they’re needed to regularly play in the team.

I would argue that Lapslie needs a loan, Morgan isn’t good enough yet to play at this level consistently, you have players who are injured like Cullen who will need to get fit, others are young and will have a dip in form like Gallagher. You then have other young players like Leko and Bonne who are going to go through a patch of difficulty. Add all of those factors in and that we will pick up more injuries at different times as the season goes on, we are going to need some help.

I’m not suggesting we go out and get 5 or 6 players, but a defender or two, a midfielder, and another striker should definitely be what we are looking at. It takes the pressure off some players, allows us to maybe send someone like Lapo out on loan, and adds necessary quality to the team. 
    So, like I originally said, a centre back, a left back and a striker? The only extra player you've added is a Kayal replacement with Lapslie and/or Morgan going out on loan. My main point was we can use the loan space he is taking up in a position of higher priority, as I personally believe having 8 players who can play in central midfield (in differing roles I'll admit)  is sufficient at this time, and a lower priority than a central defender, a fit left back and a striker. 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Watch Morgan off the ball for 10 minutes and then watch Gallagher for another 10. Morgan needs a loan to a club like AFC Wimbledon IMO where he will add quality but also be required to do the ugly stuff. I have watched him for 10 minutes or so a few times to see if I am missing something and I am sure I am not.
    Agree with this. 

Morgan has some silky skills with the ball at his feet and has good vision which can produce some cracking passes.  He does not however, always get back to cover which is also a requirement in a successful Championship team.  Hope he can add that extra dimension to his game because he is a good footballer.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I don't think it is because he is not trying or is lazy. For me, it is just he is probably used to dictating games at the levels he has played in before this one and has developed a style that works around that. I think he is a special prospect as you can't teach a player Morgan's attributes, but you can teach him his weaknesses. Ideally we find the right club, let them know what we want from them and pay his wages if possible. Then we could have something really special on our hands next season. 

He couldn't have a better mentor than Bowyer and it is important he doesn't get frustrated and listens and acts on everything Bowyer tells him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Morgan's defensive side certainly needs massive improvement still and whilst his illness meant he was going to struggle against Sheffield Wednesday you have to look at his inexperience for the second Cardiff goal

He's ran back to help out but then does a sliding tackle in anticipation of the cross coming in, it takes him out of the game and gives them the space to cross into Lee Tomlin - Hate to say it but if Morgan stays on his feet (the ball still had to get past Matthews) then he probably could have blocked the ball from even getting to Tomlin in the first place

Not blaming him for the goal as you still had others that could have blocked the shot, I think it was just a good example of where Bowyer needs him to improve his defensive side of the game to be more effective at present
  • Options
    Kayal came to us on loan and it seems like it was a pathway to International football while injured. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

I have been wondering what is going on with Hemed - what do we know?
  • Options
    Great to hear Lyle and Chuks are in contention , Field and Cullen are big misses, and leaves our defence vulnerable.
  • Options
    I don't think it is because he is not trying or is lazy. For me, it is just he is probably used to dictating games at the levels he has played in before this one and has developed a style that works around that. I think he is a special prospect as you can't teach a player Morgan's attributes, but you can teach him his weaknesses. Ideally we find the right club, let them know what we want from them and pay his wages if possible. Then we could have something really special on our hands next season. 

He couldn't have a better mentor than Bowyer and it is important he doesn't get frustrated and listens and acts on everything Bowyer tells him. 
    Completely agree with this synopsis. My only worry is that Albie reacts badly to Lees handling and regresses rather than improves. No evidence of that. Just a worry. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Sage said:
    sam3110 said:
    All you’re saying is that we already pretty much have two in every position and that we don’t really need another player in midfield, but I actually disagree.

We may have the numbers when everyone is fit, but that just isn’t going to happen at one specific time. Then it’s all well and good having the numbers if everyone is fit, but that doesn’t account for quality and whether they’re good enough if they’re needed to regularly play in the team.

I would argue that Lapslie needs a loan, Morgan isn’t good enough yet to play at this level consistently, you have players who are injured like Cullen who will need to get fit, others are young and will have a dip in form like Gallagher. You then have other young players like Leko and Bonne who are going to go through a patch of difficulty. Add all of those factors in and that we will pick up more injuries at different times as the season goes on, we are going to need some help.

I’m not suggesting we go out and get 5 or 6 players, but a defender or two, a midfielder, and another striker should definitely be what we are looking at. It takes the pressure off some players, allows us to maybe send someone like Lapo out on loan, and adds necessary quality to the team. 
    So, like I originally said, a centre back, a left back and a striker? The only extra player you've added is a Kayal replacement with Lapslie and/or Morgan going out on loan. My main point was we can use the loan space he is taking up in a position of higher priority, as I personally believe having 8 players who can play in central midfield (in differing roles I'll admit)  is sufficient at this time, and a lower priority than a central defender, a fit left back and a striker. 
    I would actually say another central midfielder is more priority than another central defender. It’s the midfield where you win and lose games more often than not. With Kayal likely to be sent back, Cullen out for the longer term, and the young players of Lapslie and Morgan who aren’t good enough yet, a midfielder is needed, alongside a left back and a striker. I said a defender or two, but a central defender is not the biggest of priorities at all. Midfield, especially proper central midfield, we might have numbers, but we lack quality when one or two are either injured or out suspended. We saw that last week without Cullen and Gallagher.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

I wrote it because it is, as you say, my opinion. And this is a forum for discussion of opinions. It is an opinion based on no more than instinct honed from watching football for 50 odd years.  It may be complete tosh (I hope it is) but you develop a sense after while when someone is a waste of time. Hemed’s record last season at QPR, Brighton’s willingness to part with him and what I’ve seen (and not seen) so far this season incline me to think we have bought in desperation.  
    I only took issue with you, SillyBilly, because you couldn't possibly know anything factual behind what you wrote:
     "We’re stuck with Hemed unfortunately but at least we now are likely (hopefully) able to do something in January so he may just rot out the rest of his contract."

Hemed's record last season at QPR was in fact 27 appearances, scoring 7 goals - plus several assists.

At Brighton he'd scored 32 goals in 89 appearances, mostly in the Championship.
    He's played some games in the Prem. 

Hemed has represented his country at every international level, plus 37 senior caps for Israel, scoring 17 goals.
    He's got a very decent pedigree, certainly compared with most players in the Charlton squad.

Sure, he was surplus at Brighton. That happens to a lot of players when Championship teams get promoted to the Prem.

Perhaps he was "bought in desperation" as Bowyer & Gallen had seen their other targets either out of budget or signed elsewhere.
    But they would have been well aware of his experience and ability.

Bowyer has already commented on Hemed and other players that missed having a proper pre-season training - and how they struggle with the intensity of Bowyer's gameplan and the injuries that follow.

• Options
    Sage said:
    sam3110 said:
    Sage said:
    sam3110 said:

I would actually say another central midfielder is more priority than another central defender. It’s the midfield where you win and lose games more often than not. With Kayal likely to be sent back, Cullen out for the longer term, and the young players of Lapslie and Morgan who aren’t good enough yet, a midfielder is needed, alongside a left back and a striker. I said a defender or two, but a central defender is not the biggest of priorities at all. Midfield, especially proper central midfield, we might have numbers, but we lack quality when one or two are either injured or out suspended. We saw that last week without Cullen and Gallagher.
    Looking at Oshilaja, is CB his best position? He seems quite good on the ball, and like Lockyer isn't that tall.

I can accept us conceding goals to top class skill, but at the moment we're shipping an awful lot of headed goals
  • Options

I’m not doubting the ability of either player. Despite the meagre evidence so far, they both have very good track records. But from what I’ve seen of both, neither look remotely interested in being here. I’d love to be wrong but this has last minute panic buy duds written all over it. Send Kayal back and free that loan space up.  We’re stuck with Hemed unfortunately but at least we now are likely (hopefully) able to do something in January so he may just rot out the rest of his contract. Who knows, he may recover and prove to be a real asset but I’m not holding my breath. 
    Better yet we should loan Hefty Hemed to Bromley to make up for nicking the Redoubtable Doughty back so quickly.  He'd just about cut the mustard in div 5, wouldn't he, surely?
    If Tomer were half the player Alfie is, he'd be in the squad every match without fail.  Sadly he's twice the body.

Brighton knew fine well they could sell roly a mangy pup - they're still laughing their cocks off over how little they paid for Dale Stevens.