Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Injury news

Comments

• edited December 2019
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
      We’re stuck with Hemed unfortunately but at least we now are likely (hopefully) able to do something in January so he may just rot out the rest of his contract.

Who knows, he may recover and prove to be a real asset but I’m not holding my breath. 
    Sometimes posters live up to their username. :smile:

I know it's just your opinion ..... but you don't really know what the situation is with Hemed.
    And if you don't know, why write stuff like that?

I'm sure we'll soon know one way or another what Hemed's situation is.
    I wrote it because it is, as you say, my opinion. And this is a forum for discussion of opinions. It is an opinion based on no more than instinct honed from watching football for 50 odd years.  It may be complete tosh (I hope it is) but you develop a sense after while when someone is a waste of time. Hemed’s record last season at QPR, Brighton’s willingness to part with him and what I’ve seen (and not seen) so far this season incline me to think we have bought in desperation.  
    I only took issue with you, SillyBilly, because you couldn't possibly know anything factual behind what you wrote:
     "We’re stuck with Hemed unfortunately but at least we now are likely (hopefully) able to do something in January so he may just rot out the rest of his contract."

Hemed's record last season at QPR was in fact 27 appearances, scoring 7 goals - plus several assists.

At Brighton he'd scored 32 goals in 89 appearances, mostly in the Championship.
    He's played some games in the Prem. 

Hemed has represented his country at every international level, plus 37 senior caps for Israel, scoring 17 goals.
    He's got a very decent pedigree, certainly compared with most players in the Charlton squad.

Sure, he was surplus at Brighton. That happens to a lot of players when Championship teams get promoted to the Prem.

Perhaps he was "bought in desperation" as Bowyer & Gallen had seen their other targets either out of budget or signed elsewhere.
    But they would have been well aware of his experience and ability.

Bowyer has already commented on Hemed and other players that missed having a proper pre-season training - and how they struggle with the intensity of Bowyer's gameplan and the injuries that follow.

Thanks @Oggy Red. I didn’t take issue with your comments. You made a fair evidence based point and I hope you are right. My somewhat frustrated musing was made as result of real disappointment with the Brighton Two after being so enthusiastic about their recruitment. Despite his pedigree, I thought I saw something in Hemed’s demeanour and body language during his brief outings that disappointed and worried me. I do wonder whether Bowyer’s rigorous training regime (which a few others have mentioned) is playing a part in our injury crisis. Again, I have no evidence other than what I read on here that we have a particularly onerous regime at all, but if we do then maybe it needs to be tailored a bit to a player who arrives without a pre-season. Whatever the case, that preseason explanation is now wearing very thin for me and, in the complete absence of any clarity in the injury briefings, it is easy to jump to other conclusions whether they have foundation or not. 

Edit - since I started typing this we have an update.  Slight groin strain. Not with the full squad yet. Doesn’t make me feel any better about the situation I’m afraid. 
  • edited December 2019
    Disappointing that JFC has been out already for over a month, yet won't be back for several weeks

No mention of Lapslie incidentally, and weird that Amos is NEVER mentioned in these updates
  • Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
      We’re stuck with Hemed unfortunately but at least we now are likely (hopefully) able to do something in January so he may just rot out the rest of his contract.

Who knows, he may recover and prove to be a real asset but I’m not holding my breath. 

I know it's just your opinion ..... but you don't really know what the situation is with Hemed.

I wrote it because it is, as you say, my opinion. And this is a forum for discussion of opinions. It is an opinion based on no more than instinct honed from watching football for 50 odd years.  It may be complete tosh (I hope it is) but you develop a sense after while when someone is a waste of time. Hemed’s record last season at QPR, Brighton’s willingness to part with him and what I’ve seen (and not seen) so far this season incline me to think we have bought in desperation.  
    I only took issue with you, SillyBilly, because you couldn't possibly know anything factual behind what you wrote:
     "We’re stuck with Hemed unfortunately but at least we now are likely (hopefully) able to do something in January so he may just rot out the rest of his contract."

Hemed's record last season at QPR was in fact 27 appearances, scoring 7 goals - plus several assists.

Hemed has represented his country at every international level, plus 37 senior caps for Israel, scoring 17 goals.
    He's got a very decent pedigree, certainly compared with most players in the Charlton squad.

Sure, he was surplus at Brighton. That happens to a lot of players when Championship teams get promoted to the Prem.

Perhaps he was "bought in desperation" as Bowyer & Gallen had seen their other targets either out of budget or signed elsewhere.

Bowyer has already commented on Hemed and other players that missed having a proper pre-season training - and how they struggle with the intensity of Bowyer's gameplan and the injuries that follow.

Thanks @Oggy Red. I didn’t take issue with your comments. You made a fair evidence based point and I hope you are right. My somewhat frustrated musing was made as result of real disappointment with the Brighton Two after being so enthusiastic about their recruitment. Despite his pedigree, I thought I saw something in Hemed’s demeanour and body language during his brief outings that disappointed and worried me. I do wonder whether Bowyer’s rigorous training regime (which a few others have mentioned) is playing a part in our injury crisis. Again, I have no evidence other than what I read on here that we have a particularly onerous regime at all, but if we do then maybe it needs to be tailored a bit to a player who arrives without a pre-season. Whatever the case, that preseason explanation is now wearing very thin for me and, in the complete absence of any clarity in the injury briefings, it is easy to jump to other conclusions whether they have foundation or not. 

Edit - since I started typing this we have an update.  Slight groin strain. Not with the full squad yet. Doesn’t make me feel any better about the situation I’m afraid. 
    Fair enough, SillyBilly ...... thanks for taking the time to give your thoughts here on Hemed.
    I take your point about demeanor/body language but IMO without knowing the player well, it's hard to be sure.

It's not just Hemed ...... apart from a couple of freak injuries, there's been far too many muscle injuries. Bowyer's rigorous training and physical intensity of gameplan has been questioned by others, even Bowyer himself I believe I read somewhere - and by all accounts he's reviewing that.

It's also common that players who have been out a long while are susceptible to other random muscle injuries caused by stress elsewhere on the body. Our resident physio Sage will be able to explain that better.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

Fair enough, SillyBilly ...... thanks for taking the time to give your thoughts here on Hemed.
    I take your point about demeanor/body language but IMO without knowing the player well, it's hard to be sure.

It's not just Hemed ...... apart from a couple of freak injuries, there's been far too many muscle injuries. Bowyer's rigorous training and physical intensity of gameplan has been questioned by others, even Bowyer himself I believe I read somewhere - and by all accounts he's reviewing that.

It's also common that players who have been out a long while are susceptible to other random muscle injuries caused by stress elsewhere on the body. Our resident physio Sage will be able to explain that better.
    Yep. @Sage is another who lives up to his username 😉
  • Regarding Hemed, where he hasn’t had a proper pre-season, he isn’t being rushed back where previously or at other clubs who don’t train at such a high intensity, he might have been introduced by now. It’s about getting him just right so he doesn’t break down.

He also doesn’t live anywhere near SE London, in fact, I’m not entirely sure if he still lives in Brighton. That travel could play a big part as the season goes on. But I am not sure on that.

Just looking forward to getting these players back now. Taylor and Williams are so important, so with them back very soon, it’s exciting.
  • Everyone is forgetting that Hemed and especially Kayal came with generally rave reviews from Brighton fans. Do people really think they wrote them to wind us up, or that none of them know the first thing about football?
    Thats precisely the point. They came with such pedigree and high reviews from previous clubs that we expected something that we just haven’t had. Maybe they are busted flushes?  Maybe we’ve got them in our predicament for a reason?  Who knows, but they’ve certainly not lived up to the reviews so far. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Great Post Boston 
  • In this day and age of 100mph and high intensity football,you will always get pulls,tears and strains.Years ago when I first started watching,the game was played at half the pace it is now,and consquently injuries were rarer and you would probably see the same ream week after week(liverpool once won div 1 using 14 players over the season)It is why we now have big squads,sadly,we seemed to have suffered badly,but it is not the players fault they get hurt,after all,they want to play as much as anyone,in many cases it is likely that in a big squad,some lads will push themselves too hard too early and suffer as a result.We must be patient with these players,their time will come.Remember Johnny Robinson who came to us and got hurt early and was out for 8-9 weeks.
  • edited December 2019
    Oztumer out for a few weeks with ankle ligament damage.

Aneke picked up a new injury in training on Thursday.
  • How bloody unlucky has Aneke been?
  • Oztumer out for a few weeks with ankle ligament damage.

Kicked off the park last week. Much the same as Williams against Derby. This is why a single ref on his own no matter how basically competent, cannot manage a modern top level gsme effectively and needs VAR assistance - but used in a different way to the current shambles.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    How bloody unlucky has Aneke been?
    Not turning out a particularly great signing this one
  • His absence is only shielding us from realising how hopeless he is IMHO. 
  • edited December 2019
    Dazzler21 said:
    How bloody poorly managed have Aneke's injuries been?
    No such thing as luck.
  • Sponsored links:

• Oztumer out for a few weeks with ankle ligament damage.

Kicked off the park last week. Much the same as Williams against Derby. This is why a single ref on his own no matter how basically competent, cannot manage a modern top level gsme effectively and needs VAR assistance - but used in a different way to the current shambles.
    More the fact that Referee's need to stop letting teams kick players off the pitch simply because it was someone's first offence

Shouldnt matter who commits the foul on the player - If a player gets fouled more than once then the second / third / fourth players get booked

Its bloody obvious as to what is going on!!
    It is obvious mate, when you are sitting in the stands but not if you are a ref monitoring every detail, as it happens. I'd like to see a second ref following on video, with the increasingly impressive stats on other screens , telling the on-pitch ref : "third similar offence by X, third similar offence on Y", etc
  • Quick, tricky players have always been kicked and refs have always let them be kicked. Kicking them is the best way to stop them.
  • Quick, tricky players have always been kicked and refs have always let them be kicked. Kicking them is the best way to stop them.
    I've got some news for you. That is against the laws of football. I don't want to come over all Priti Patel here, but laws are meant to be strictly enforced. 
    There is a balance though, as football is a physical game and contact sport. Shearer last night on MOTD was purring about the physical challenges Calvert-Lewin was putting on the Chelsea defenders for example

Oztumer does seem to be vulnerable to challenges at the moment, all attacking players will get kicked on the ankles, that goes with the territory. Maybe he's not anticipating or riding the challenges very well?
  • just had a browse through P Crouch's second tome. (he has the ability to make very good and serious points in a semi comedic and east to read manner)
    The point ? .. he claims that from around the age of 20, most pro players play most games at somewhere around 70% peak fitness. Even taken with a pinch of salt, this sounds feasible. Managers and owners will always want their money's worth from their playing staff so long as they are not totally crippled and M I A.
    In the current injury plague climate at CAFC, I do wonder how many of our injured players have more of a lazy mental rather than physical problem. Perhaps some of our loanees are too keen to sit out games on the pretext that they are not '100% fit and ready'
  • Williams, Oztumer, Grelish. These type of players all get fouled more than other type of football player because they dribble the ball. Exciting to watch, but it gives the opposition players time to put in a challenge. The answer is for them to take less touches.

• In the current injury plague climate at CAFC, I do wonder how many of our injured players have more of a lazy mental rather than physical problem. Perhaps some of our loanees are too keen to sit out games on the pretext that they are not '100% fit and ready'
    Blimey, you're spouting the same rubbish on this thread too?!

Come on then Sigmund, who did you have in mind?
  • @Sillybilly, you were great at the Palladium ladt night :smiley: