Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• Options
    I haven't watched much MLS in the last couple of years but anytime I have watched it I've been surprised by how poor the defending is. Lots of talent in the league, particularly in attack but defending has been poor. Hard to say if thats down to talent or tactics. The one MLS game (Seattle vs San Jose in 2016) I was at I was shocked at how both teams refused to clear the ball when under pressure. I'm not saying hoofing the ball clear is always the most optimal strategy but I don't believe there was a single time where a team would choose to get rid of the ball when under pressure, which is admirable but seems shortsighted to me. That was 3 and a half years ago and I've only seen a handful of games since.
  • Options
    Cawley signing off till Thursday, expect nothing and nothing next two days!
  • Options
    Bowyer has said that he thinks Taylor will stay (didn’t specify whether for the season or in a new contract) but that he thought that about Gallagher and he was wrong there.

Bowyer has said Lyle made a little joke in the drawing room after the last game but didn’t say about what. Linked to that he said that he thought that he (aBowyer) signing a new contract might help but he wasn’t sure and was going to talk to Lyle face to face after the weekend that see what Lyle had to say.

Matt Southall has said we will only let Lyle go this season if we get a huge offer for him. 

My best guess is that Lyle will stay for the remainder of the season and then it will be up to us to try and match oppo bids in the summer window. 
    I like the idea of having a drawing room at Charlton. Prefer a winning room though.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    iainment said:
    Bowyer has said that he thinks Taylor will stay (didn’t specify whether for the season or in a new contract) but that he thought that about Gallagher and he was wrong there.

Bowyer has said Lyle made a little joke in the drawing room after the last game but didn’t say about what. Linked to that he said that he thought that he (aBowyer) signing a new contract might help but he wasn’t sure and was going to talk to Lyle face to face after the weekend that see what Lyle had to say.

Matt Southall has said we will only let Lyle go this season if we get a huge offer for him. 

My best guess is that Lyle will stay for the remainder of the season and then it will be up to us to try and match oppo bids in the summer window. 
    I like the idea of having a drawing room at Charlton. Prefer a winning room though.
    I suppose a trophy room is out of the question?

Better than my idea. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Massive five days for the club coming up. Let’s hope we’re smiling on Sunday. 
  • Options
    My very reliable source says there was only one trialist. The Tooting lad was the sub trialist but there was a misunderstanding

The actual trialist plays for Met Police.

Cue bedwetting over "is that our level?"

Remember Davison came from Enfield and it was the U23s
  • Options
    Cawley don’t make our signings mate.
    He separates the nonsense from actual links.  Mate.
  • Options
    My very reliable source says there was only one trialist. The Tooting lad was the sub trialist but there was a misunderstanding

The actual trialist plays for Met Police
    A mate of Tony?
  • Options
    ‘Expect nothing and nothing next two days!’

Why nothing? The club can still sign players while Cawley is off. He ain’t the only reliable source.
    I’ll finish my sentence then.

Expect nothing and nothing for the next two days but shite from twitter accounts and wannabe ITK’s.
  • Options

Why nothing? The club can still sign players while Cawley is off. He ain’t the only reliable source.

Expect nothing and nothing for the next two days but shite from twitter accounts and wannabe ITK’s.
    What if the club announce a signing on Wednesday?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I’ll be pleasantly surprised, if they’re any good.
  • Options

You've got a 41 minute, written stutter there.
  • Options
    This is building up nicely , to some quality signings that will secure our survival.....
    never a dull moment for us 
  • Options

I’ll be pleasantly surprised, if they’re any good.
    Who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?
    Go Google “comma” mate.  
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    PopIcon said:
    Running on pure faith at the minute, few rumours about but nothing too exciting let’s be honest, the best player linked with coming or going is Lyle Taylor.  

I’ve seen many saying “judge ESI come 1st feb”, if it’s looking grim them I assume the same will be saying “judge ESI come May 3rd”.  Massive week in our history coming up, relegation would be catastrophic, simple as that.
    No one wants to go down, but catastrophic?
    We've been down before you know!

I'd describe relegation as horrendous, annoying or a pain in the poop-loop. I'll reserve catastophic for the following; folding, being forced to leave the Valley and ground share with Millwall or being sold back to Roland.
    This is a football forum mate, no need to play tomato tomata.  Okay I’ll keep it simple, going down would be a kick in c^nt/sh1te/heart wrenching/catastrophic/horrendous, choose whatever word you like all means the same in this context.
    But right now it's not all doom & gloom. We're in a period where new signings have been promised, key players returning from injury, and a lot of football still to be played this season.

So why keep focussing on the worst case scenario, mate? ...... You make Golfie sound cheerful. :smile:

We have 1 win in 17, that pattern carries on we are down.  You can be as cheerful as you like but that is the scenario, not the worst or best, that is what’s happened, and all we’ve done to rectify it is bowyers contract, that’s it.  We are 1 or 2 unlucky injuries away from another crisis.
    It's not even about being cheerful.

Yeah we've been on a dire run - but we know why. No team in the division would not have struggled given the same injury crisis.
    And even the last 6 games, we've played most of the teams in the top 7. And picked up half a dozen points.

But now we have key players coming back, the mood in the camp is positive .... and we've every chance of strengthening this week.
    We've got the manager we need. And it seems the owners we need also.

Whether you're glass half full or glass half empty, it's the same amount of beer in the glass.

More pressure on the team to get results now then. Not many gave the team a chance playing WBA & Fulham when we had no Taylor, Williams or Cullen. Now we are playing Barnsley & Luton with (presumably) all 3 (plus 2 or 3 new recruits) we had better get a couple of wins because if the results dont pick up NOW then we will be relegated......no ifs, no buts.
    Is it really as drastic as that though? We're 6 points ahead of Barnsley same games played, 7 ahead of Wigan albeit a game extra played and 9 ahead of Luton with an extra game played. We also have a big goal difference advantage over all of them.

I could understand your comments if you were a fan of any one of those 3 teams but we're the team in the driving seat not them. Granted it's not perfect but I wouldn't say it's as dire as your post looks.
    Tbf we have won 1 in 17 (?) games - or something like that.... it’s certainly not brilliant.

the form pattern we are showing would lead to relegation. It’s whether we get out of it - and for that we need some decent signings 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    PopIcon said:
    Running on pure faith at the minute, few rumours about but nothing too exciting let’s be honest, the best player linked with coming or going is Lyle Taylor.  

I’ve seen many saying “judge ESI come 1st feb”, if it’s looking grim them I assume the same will be saying “judge ESI come May 3rd”.  Massive week in our history coming up, relegation would be catastrophic, simple as that.
    No one wants to go down, but catastrophic?
    We've been down before you know!

I'd describe relegation as horrendous, annoying or a pain in the poop-loop. I'll reserve catastophic for the following; folding, being forced to leave the Valley and ground share with Millwall or being sold back to Roland.
    This is a football forum mate, no need to play tomato tomata.  Okay I’ll keep it simple, going down would be a kick in c^nt/sh1te/heart wrenching/catastrophic/horrendous, choose whatever word you like all means the same in this context.
    But right now it's not all doom & gloom. We're in a period where new signings have been promised, key players returning from injury, and a lot of football still to be played this season.

So why keep focussing on the worst case scenario, mate? ...... You make Golfie sound cheerful. :smile:

We have 1 win in 17, that pattern carries on we are down.  You can be as cheerful as you like but that is the scenario, not the worst or best, that is what’s happened, and all we’ve done to rectify it is bowyers contract, that’s it.  We are 1 or 2 unlucky injuries away from another crisis.
    It's not even about being cheerful.

Yeah we've been on a dire run - but we know why. No team in the division would not have struggled given the same injury crisis.
    And even the last 6 games, we've played most of the teams in the top 7. And picked up half a dozen points.

But now we have key players coming back, the mood in the camp is positive .... and we've every chance of strengthening this week.
    We've got the manager we need. And it seems the owners we need also.

Whether you're glass half full or glass half empty, it's the same amount of beer in the glass.

More pressure on the team to get results now then. Not many gave the team a chance playing WBA & Fulham when we had no Taylor, Williams or Cullen. Now we are playing Barnsley & Luton with (presumably) all 3 (plus 2 or 3 new recruits) we had better get a couple of wins because if the results dont pick up NOW then we will be relegated......no ifs, no buts.
    Is it really as drastic as that though? We're 6 points ahead of Barnsley same games played, 7 ahead of Wigan albeit a game extra played and 9 ahead of Luton with an extra game played. We also have a big goal difference advantage over all of them.

I could understand your comments if you were a fan of any one of those 3 teams but we're the team in the driving seat not them. Granted it's not perfect but I wouldn't say it's as dire as your post looks.
    Tbf we have won 1 in 17 (?) games - or something like that.... it’s certainly not brilliant.

the form pattern we are showing would lead to relegation. It’s whether we get out of it - and for that we need some decent signings 
    The addition of Taylor, Cullen and Williams is probably, more often than not worth a goal a game. Either scoring one, or not letting in one. 

The fact that not only have they been out but also their back ups (with the later 2 it's also been the back up back ups and thier back ups).

Why would Taylor, or Maddison, sign for us now?  If we are not insisting on a reduction of wages if we go down we need our head testing, if they are happy to sign with it they need thiers checking. 

For Taylor it's the only chance he will ever get to secure his financial future and for Maddison this move will shape his career.   

Unless you can get a Bonne, or a loan with a view of getting them next season as well, short term is what matters now. 

• Options
    Sage said:
    I think we are all expecting there to be interest and offers in for Taylor, we’d be foolish to think otherwise.

At this late stage, and with Bowyer saying he will speak to Taylor this week, I would be genuinely surprised and saddened if he were to leave. Finding an adequate replacement at this late stage would be almost impossible.

Personally cant see it happening - with HE turning up on saturday the last thing they will want is something to rock the boat.
    If ESI accept an offer for Taylor they must have a really good replacement lined up. I was thinking more all good news this week and a couple in through the door to unveil in front of a full house at the Barnsley game.

I actually think if lyle starts or Saturday and has a cracker we might see HE pulling out the stops to make sure he stays. Nothing like making a statement in front of the majority owner to get that 25 bags a week contract