Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Electric Cars

Comments

• Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Anyone on here that owns an electric car charge from home?

Does your car make a loud noise from the fans cooling the battery while charging. I hear its normal to keep the battery at the right temperature but fck me its loud.

Had a home charger fitted tuesday. Got home last night about midnight and whacked the charger in. Obviously want to make use of the cheaper rates in the middle of the night but the noise the fans make it wont be long until the neighbours are coming round with their pitchforks 😬

I unplugged it immediately and restarted it at 7 this morning. Look forward to a street full of ev fans going mental at 3 in the morning.
    Don’t worry, in a few years the noise of your heat pump will drown out the car…
    WHAAAAT! can you speak up a bit?
  • Options
    Interesting that a lot of performance car manufacturers are now leaving the top of the range to be an EV iteration.

Porsche have canned the Macan Turbo - and will launch a new Macan Turbo next year which will apparently be full electric. Whilst the base model, S and GTS are petrol - the jewel in the crown will be electric.

As a driving enthusiast I am not sure what to make of this. My current Turbo sounds like the offspring of Satan has been released when it’s lit up - and whilst the new Turbo will be hellishly fast, will the market for this car want it sounding like a milk float?

I think petrol performance cars will hold their value tremendously well over the next few years, as that market tries to hold on to the aspect of cars that they love.
  • Options
    Interesting that a lot of performance car manufacturers are now leaving the top of the range to be an EV iteration.

Porsche have canned the Macan Turbo - and will launch a new Macan Turbo next year which will apparently be full electric. Whilst the base model, S and GTS are petrol - the jewel in the crown will be electric.

As a driving enthusiast I am not sure what to make of this. My current Turbo sounds like the offspring of Satan has been released when it’s lit up - and whilst the new Turbo will be hellishly fast, will the market for this car want it sounding like a milk float?

I think petrol performance cars will hold their value tremendously well over the next few years, as that market tries to hold on to the aspect of cars that they love.
    Rumours are that the next 911 will be an EV! That said, my Porsche EV is comfortably the best car I've ever driven.

I agree with your last point, and leading up to when the ban comes in for IC cars I believe buying a top spec performance car will be a sound investment. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Rumours are that the next 911 will be an EV! That said, my Porsche EV is comfortably the best car I've ever driven.

I agree with your last point, and leading up to when the ban comes in for IC cars I believe buying a top spec performance car will be a sound investment. 
    You got a Taycan Bob? Been offered one as a courtesy car when mine goes for a service. Excited to see what it’s like.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

You got a Taycan Bob? Been offered one as a courtesy car when mine goes for a service. Excited to see what it’s like.
    Yes. 

Try it - you will be impressed!
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Hell yeah. Bought a V8 this year as I thought time might be running out.

I wonder if at some point when there is a ban on the sale of new electric vehicles there will be a big slump in the cost of fuel as demand falls?
  • Options
    We Have A Pod Point fitted , no noise at all , i always charge between 12.30 to 4.30 , totally silent .

• Options
    fadgadget said:
    We Have A Pod Point fitted , no noise at all , i always charge between 12.30 to 4.30 , totally silent .

I went with the ohme pro. It's not that the makes the noise. Its the vehicle fans. After googling I've seen it happens a fair bit so maybe it depends on size of vehicle,size of battery etc.

I'll be getting home again in a minute but will wait until later in the morning tomorrow before it starts charging as the vehicle battery will have cooled down by then.
  • Options
    What car you got? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One of these big boys

• Options
    when I plug the car into the charger the car fan runs for a couple of minutes
  • Options
    It makes a similar noise to this clip
    https://youtu.be/4_a4OAGT5pg
  • Options

Agree,

I wouldn't look forward quite so much to the hoon down to Lemans every year in a 10 car convoy of electric cars.....

Not sure the 24hr race would be quite the same as the cars roar off the start to an electric hum and no fuel smell!
  • Options
    What’s going to happen to Formula One going forward ? Not too many years from now it’s going to be in a very difficult position where people won’t identify with it if it’s pretty much out on its own with regards to the fuel. 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    All the word I hear is electric is about to be ousted by hydrogen anyway (well partly). Less infrastructure requirements and potentially less wastage of battery tech etc 
  • Options
    What’s going to happen to Formula One going forward ? Not too many years from now it’s going to be in a very difficult position where people won’t identify with it if it’s pretty much out on its own with regards to the fuel. 🤷🏻‍♂️
    There's already an electric car championship.
  • Options
    Hex said:
    I got an ID.4 last month and absolutely loving it. 

It has a 77kwh battery, 310 miles range, (220-250 real world range). Plenty for our general usage (and I'd suspect most people) but we also regularly do a c.250/300 mile round trip to visit parents. Have done this already and the public charging experience was surprisingly good, we got 200 mile added in 30min, (granted it was a 150kw fast charger). And even just a 10min top up would have been enough to get us home. 

Haven't got my home charger installed yet, will do but surviving surprisingly okay on the slow 3pin plug charger. That only gives under 7miles/hr but I think it's so good to have.

We have a rural weeks holiday coming up and if I can use that at our holiday rental it'll hugely reduce the need to use public chargers. It'll top it up over 80miles for a 12 hour overnight charge. Is this too cheeky to do though or fair game?
    The ID4 has caught my eye.  We are looking to replace our bigger car with an EV that was designed to be electric-only but until recently there were few medium SUVs on the market.  Before we got my current car we were considering a Tiguan so I'm hoping the ID4 is an equivalent, particularly in terms of the driving position.  We'll have to put dealer visits on our to do list.

Haven’t looked into to electric cars at all (or any cars for that matter).
    This thread though made me think though, so I started looking at them and noticed that VW have released the ID6 in China.

When we’ve totally run the S-Max into the ground (probably another 3-4 years), there may be some second hand ones in the UK… or by then, even some kind of S-Max EV.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Rob7Lee said:

Agree,

I wouldn't look forward quite so much to the hoon down to Lemans every year in a 10 car convoy of electric cars.....

Not sure the 24hr race would be quite the same as the cars roar off the start to an electric hum and no fuel smell!

I'm as big a petrol-head as the next man and would agree that there is something intoxicating about the thump of a big V8 and the roar as the revs build, but ......... the shear performance, road holding and general handling of my EV has sold me on them.

Nobody is as surprised as I am on that and I was a bit dubious when I ordered it.

Yes, range (mine is 250 and I get 250!) is limiting if you want to avoid having to plan stops, but in the real world (mine anyway) 250 is more than enough, but I have got an IC as well for those rare longer journeys.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have a new EV on order which should be delivered first week in January.
    Having a look for home charging installation and didn't realise there were so many options available.

Pod-point are not taking any more private work, by the looks of it, due to a lot of work (grant finishing in March 2020.

Been looking at these guys and they have a few different chargers to chose from: https://www.smarthomecharge.co.uk

Is there any advice that any of you EV owners can kindly offer me, please?
    Any firms to approach, or avoid?
    Preferred charger, or do they all do the same?

I'm hoping to get a point installed in the Bexleyheath area first week of January..

• Options
    Having a look for home charging installation and didn't realise there were so many options available.

Pod-point are not taking any more private work, by the looks of it, due to a lot of work (grant finishing in March 2020.

Been looking at these guys and they have a few different chargers to chose from: https://www.smarthomecharge.co.uk

I'm hoping to get a point installed in the Bexleyheath area first week of January..

Have you asked the dealer for advice - they should be able to help.

I tried one company that was recommended by our fleet management guys but they were pretty much useless. Ended up going to my supplier (Scottish Power) and they were brilliant.

I would advise getting a tethered one - saves having to get the lead out of the boot each time (lazy bugger that I am!).
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Have you asked the dealer for advice - they should be able to help.

I tried one company that was recommended by our fleet management guys but they were pretty much useless. Ended up going to my supplier (Scottish Power) and they were brilliant.

I would advise getting a tethered one - saves having to get the lead out of the boot each time (lazy bugger that I am!).
    Thanks Bob,
    Appreciate your thoughts.

I've spoken to the lease company and they've pointed me towards pod-point (too busy) and zap-map, where I found the smarthomecharge link.

Smart Home charge are in the process of putting a quote together for me.
    Fingers crossed it's the same as their 'from' prices online :)
  • Options
    Pod Point are probably focusing on their new EDF customers. They are now owned by EDF
  • Options
    Our Renault Zoe arrives before christmas, and won't be able to get a home charger yet as it's being got via ONTO, so have to wait 6 months before you're eligible for the grant. Thankfully it comes with free access to Shell and BPs network of chargers for nowt, and then get a charger in early 2022, when the market shakes off the dependency on the charging grant. 
  • Options

Virtus Energy  https://virtusenergy.co.uk/

With a certain PV as a director.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Rothko said:
    Our Renault Zoe arrives before christmas, and won't be able to get a home charger yet as it's being got via ONTO, so have to wait 6 months before you're eligible for the grant. Thankfully it comes with free access to Shell and BPs network of chargers for nowt, and then get a charger in early 2022, when the market shakes off the dependency on the charging grant. 
    Depending on your daily mileage of course, but just plugging in to a 13 amp socket would take around 16 hours from 0-100% and comfortably overnight topping up if your daily commutes are not too high. Based on the battery size of 52kWh and a 13 amp connection charging at 3kW, a 10 hour overnight charge would add around 150 miles of range. 
  • Options
    Oooh good maths @bobmunro, the majority of journeys are little ones around the area, and there a few 22kw chargers that come free on Onto, so a big charge could be done whilst working in Costa for an hour 
  • Options
    Our company are starting to provide long range Tesla 3s to the limited few who get company cars. One of our managers' got his car about 6 weeks ago and yesterday I got to have a go. Wow!! what a car, the speed is immense but I felt that it was a little bit unnecessary (I do understand that it doesn't have to be driven that way). The big control screen will take a bit of getting used to. I am looking forward to getting mine in 2022.     
  • Options
    Anything to worry about with this or a case of it was always on the cards?