Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Electric Cars

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Not sure how electricity will ever surpass a jet engine. 
    Warp drive. Dilithium is the next thing to get your money on.
  • Options
    I watched the documentary "seaspiracy" and my takeaway from that is that my petrol car is not destroying the planet, the fucking fishermen are. Thank God Boris cocked up the Brexit deal and shafted our fisheries.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    reserves said:
    How long before car sun roofs & panels become solar panels, charging the car batteries?
    Never, according to Elon. 
    However Scientists are known to change their opinions based on new discoveries, I think the current panel hardware wouldn't provide sufficient charge.
  • Options
    Some more input to the balance for debate.

https://youtu.be/sVCRHSScuCM
  • Options
    The April edition of Which? contains a detailed description of the UK charging infrastructure, describing it as “disjointed, confusing and costly”.

The full article is for subscribers only but here are some of the points.  Some companies will only accept payment via their app.  One company has a special wireless card you tap against the charger - the card only works with that company’s chargers.  Apps largely only work on one petrol station’s forecourts.  There are more than 30 petrol station chains.  Just 15% of GeniePoint’s chargers allow contactless chargers.  Some operators charge connection fees.

If you can get access to the full article it is worth reading if you, like us, are considering EVs.  It is very depressing.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Just ordered a VW ID.3 through company salary sacrifice. Seems like a good deal and on a two-year lease I won't be stuck with yesterday's technology when it's time to hand it back. We're keeping our diesel beast and will use the VW as our local car. Not sure if the EV will really save any money but I'm just fascinated by this transition, warts and all. It will be interesting to hear how fellow Lifers get on with EVs.

I have no regrets at all in going EV - got the car last summer. My daily commute is a 45 mile round trip and with a real life range of 200 miles (officially 250 but not the way I drive it!) means two overnight charges a week at home gives me enough for the commute plus weekend pottering around as well. I'm lucky to have a driveway where I charge it and the charger was installed for £995 but £500 of that was covered by the Government grant. I've never used public charge points and to be honest I doubt I will ever need to as I now rarely do long journeys - I bought another IC car for that (yes there is still range anxiety but it does diminish).

It's a company car and a real game changer was the zero benefit in kind tax. It basically costs me £20 a week in electricity.
    How many miles per kilowatt do you get. I ask as I I bought a PHEV because of long trips to watch Charlton away (That seems an odd decision  now) and because it achieves 35 miles on each charge for local trips using not a lot of petrol doing that. 

Since I've had it, I'm averaging 2.7 mi/kWh.
  • Options
    Following a couple of test drives we ordered an EV this week. The new Vauxhall mokka E. was fun to drive and well specified.  We liked the way it looks too.
  • Options
    saw my first Tesla on the road yesterday, very slick and very expensive
  • Options
    saw my first Tesla on the road yesterday, very slick and very expensive
    A neighbour has one - he raves about it.  But he still stops to hear my car fire up and asks me to put it in sport mode.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    kigelia said:
    Following a couple of test drives we ordered an EV this week. The new Vauxhall mokka E. was fun to drive and well specified.  We liked the way it looks too.
    I love the look of the new Mokka. Was tempted as my current lease is up but they were quite pricey given its a Vauxhall.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Chizz said:
    Can't recall who, but someone connected to the U.K. climate targets was arguing yesterday that -by 2050 - the U.K. will need 25million charging points!!!

Another reason why I hope we are on the right lines, and would like to see the evidence. This comes in the same week that the U.K. shale experiment was effectively ditched, 4 years after politicians were gleefully claiming that it would free us from the shackles of imported energy. 
    I listened to a debate on the radio earlier this year and the simple fact is the National Grid in the UK would not stand up to the demands of 5 million extra charging points based on today's consumption let alone 25 million.

I was in a car park in East London last week and a guy was kicking off big time on his phone, there was one charging bay and that was in use, I heard him shout to whoever he was talking too the "fucking thing was flat and would not move" 

We are nowhere near geared up for the electric car in the UK if, and a big if, a lot more people bought one. 

"Most electric cars can be charged at home using a standard three-pin domestic plug socket" (RAC).  There are 27.6m households in the UK (ONS).  An average, two bedroom house has forty, standard three-pin domestic plug sockets (Electrical safety first). That's a total of more than one point one billion sockets that can be used to charge cars.  

The claim that we need 25 million charging points over and above the sockets in homes is absurd.  For it to be true, we would have to have changed virtually every single car in the UK to electric-only; and for everyone to need to charge them up at the same time.  

It's a Luddite argument to suggest that there will be insufficient charging points in future for the total number of privately-owned cars.  

Your anecdote about the stroppy man on the phone in East London is interesting, @eaststandmike - but it also illustrates the point quite well.  Because he was on one of 37 million smartphones in the UK.  And he had enough charge. 
    That's very good news; I hadn't realised that. I think a bigger problem will be not that there aren't sockets per se but how close people can park to them.  I know people who are lucky to get a space in their own street, let alone outside their own house. A quarter of the population live in terraced houses. It's a fair bet that the majority of these don't have off road parking, what about the wires trailing over the pavement?
    It’s why at present the whole idea is a nonsense. One that we must make work but god only knows how. Have the government done anything about having charging points in every new home that allows adjacent parking ? Don’t think they have. Doesn’t fill me with much confidence. They have known this is coming or should have for several years. 

I regularly see an owner of a Renault Zoe charging his car with an extension lead from his flat! He lives on the second floor and the lead hangs over his balcony and is plugged straight into the car. He seems to be lucky in that he always gets that space outside his flats.
    Maybe he's got another car the same and swaps that one in when he moves the first one.
  • Options
    We picked up our EV yesterday. nice to drive and a good fit for the sort of driving we do, and we got the home charger installed for a great price as well. look forward to giving it a few longer trips this week. 
  • Options
    The UK seems unlikely to build the necessary infrastructure in the near future and the range of these vehicles remains an issue.

I don't think the benefits will be as great as they're made out to be and I'm still not clear what happens to all the scrapped batteries.

It doesn't make sense to me scrapping so many existing diesels/petrol cars if the vehicles are still usable- doesn't seem very green. Some of the vehicles in question may only do a low mileage so their emissions over a year may be negligible.

• Options
    just ordered a hybrid Volvo, get end July, it comes with a free charging point 
  • Options
    kigelia said:
    We picked up our EV yesterday. nice to drive and a good fit for the sort of driving we do, and we got the home charger installed for a great price as well. look forward to giving it a few longer trips this week. 
    What brand/model? How many kWh is the battery?
  • Options
    The UK seems unlikely to build the necessary infrastructure in the near future and the range of these vehicles remains an issue.

I don't think the benefits will be as great as they're made out to be and I'm still not clear what happens to all the scrapped batteries.

It doesn't make sense to me scrapping so many existing diesels/petrol cars if the vehicles are still usable- doesn't seem very green. Some of the vehicles in question may only do a low mileage so their emissions over a year may be negligible.

I think it entirely depends on your lifestyle. If you have off road parking allowing home charging and you rarely do long trips then they are a great solution.

Mine has a range of 250 miles (real life 200-220) and that covers 99% of my driving needs without ever having to use a public charge point. I have a home charger that recharges in full overnight, and I’m also lucky to have chargers at work. A full charge costs about £10 so the equivalent in comparison to petrol is about 110 mpg.

My missus’ car is due to be replaced this year and she will be having an EV - but she doesn’t know that yet!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I think it entirely depends on your lifestyle. If you have off road parking allowing home charging and you rarely do long trips then they are a great solution.

Mine has a range of 250 miles (real life 200-220) and that covers 99% of my driving needs without ever having to use a public charge point. I have a home charger that recharges in full overnight, and I’m also lucky to have chargers at work. A full charge costs about £10 so the equivalent in comparison to petrol is about 110 mpg.

My missus’ car is due to be replaced this year and she will be having an EV - but she doesn’t know that yet!
    What’s she getting?

I’m tempted by a ID3 or ID4, always wanted a Golf, so seems the best option. E-Golf isn’t an option before anyone says, I want an EV built to be an EV
  • Options
    Danepak said:
    kigelia said:
    What brand/model? How many kWh is the battery?
    We got the new Mokka E. nice looking vehicle. It is a 50kw battery. Same platform as the Peugeot and Citroen equivalents use. Range wise is showing up as around 190 miles on a full charge which is plenty for us. 
  • Options
    We`ve had a Vauxhall Corsa E since November , very pleased with it , free pod point charger fitted to the front of the house , cheap electric tariff . £1.30 to charge it to 80% .   
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    bobmunro said:

What’s she getting?

I’m tempted by a ID3 or ID4, always wanted a Golf, so seems the best option. E-Golf isn’t an option before anyone says, I want an EV built to be an EV
    Not sure yet. She tends to prefer smaller cars so something like an ID3 or Mini E but the latter has poor reviews.

I might get her to consider a bigger car, just for safety more than anything - maybe an iX3
  • Options
    I got an ID.4 last month and absolutely loving it. 

It has a 77kwh battery, 310 miles range, (220-250 real world range). Plenty for our general usage (and I'd suspect most people) but we also regularly do a c.250/300 mile round trip to visit parents. Have done this already and the public charging experience was surprisingly good, we got 200 mile added in 30min, (granted it was a 150kw fast charger). And even just a 10min top up would have been enough to get us home. 

Haven't got my home charger installed yet, will do but surviving surprisingly okay on the slow 3pin plug charger. That only gives under 7miles/hr but I think it's so good to have.

We have a rural weeks holiday coming up and if I can use that at our holiday rental it'll hugely reduce the need to use public chargers. It'll top it up over 80miles for a 12 hour overnight charge. Is this too cheeky to do though or fair game?
  • Options
    Would love to but the choice "Down Under" and the charging station network is a bit limited.
  • Options
    Has anyone ever run out of juice?

Last February I was coming back from Portsmouth and a lorry had overturned on the A3 just before the M25 junction. We sat there for around 2.5 hours and despite only being a mile from the junction it took around another 40 minutes once it did start moving.

I did wonder what would happen if I'd have had an electric car, either switch everything off and freeze (it was late and I think only just above freezing) or run out of juice.
  • Options
    fadgadget said:
    We`ve had a Vauxhall Corsa E since November , very pleased with it , free pod point charger fitted to the front of the house , cheap electric tariff . £1.30 to charge it to 80% .   
    Out of interest Fadgadget, who is your electricity supplier?
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Last February I was coming back from Portsmouth and a lorry had overturned on the A3 just before the M25 junction. We sat there for around 2.5 hours and despite only being a mile from the junction it took around another 40 minutes once it did start moving.

I did wonder what would happen if I'd have had an electric car, either switch everything off and freeze (it was late and I think only just above freezing) or run out of juice.

The same thing can happen with an IC of course!
    I ran out of petrol once (when I was very young and could only afford a few gallons at at time!) but I've never done it again. I never leave it to get below a quarter full on my petrol cars and with the EV never less than 25% before charging - not moving and having the air con set low and on economy mode wouldn't drain the battery that much, and even if you run out the breakdown services now include the ability to add an emergency charge that will get you to the nearest charge point.

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:

The same thing can happen with an IC of course!
    I ran out of petrol once (when I was very young and could only afford a few gallons at at time!) but I've never done it again. I never leave it to get below a quarter full on my petrol cars and with the EV never less than 25% before charging - not moving and having the air con set low and on economy mode wouldn't drain the battery that much, and even if you run out the breakdown services now include the ability to add an emergency charge that will get you to the nearest charge point.

As usage of electric cars increases will the infrastructure keep up? Not much has been done in London and I wonder who is coordinating this?

I also think a lot of the elderly and poorer drivers will be forced off the road during this but this remains to be seen. 

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Rothko said:
    bobmunro said:

What’s she getting?

Not sure yet. She tends to prefer smaller cars so something like an ID3 or Mini E but the latter has poor reviews.

I might get her to consider a bigger car, just for safety more than anything - maybe an iX3
    What about the safety of the person she hits?
  • Options

It has a 77kwh battery, 310 miles range, (220-250 real world range). Plenty for our general usage (and I'd suspect most people) but we also regularly do a c.250/300 mile round trip to visit parents. Have done this already and the public charging experience was surprisingly good, we got 200 mile added in 30min, (granted it was a 150kw fast charger). And even just a 10min top up would have been enough to get us home. 

Haven't got my home charger installed yet, will do but surviving surprisingly okay on the slow 3pin plug charger. That only gives under 7miles/hr but I think it's so good to have.

We have a rural weeks holiday coming up and if I can use that at our holiday rental it'll hugely reduce the need to use public chargers. It'll top it up over 80miles for a 12 hour overnight charge. Is this too cheeky to do though or fair game?
    The ID4 has caught my eye.  We are looking to replace our bigger car with an EV that was designed to be electric-only but until recently there were few medium SUVs on the market.  Before we got my current car we were considering a Tiguan so I'm hoping the ID4 is an equivalent, particularly in terms of the driving position.  We'll have to put dealer visits on our to do list.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Hex said:

The ID4 has caught my eye.  We are looking to replace our bigger car with an EV that was designed to be electric-only but until recently there were few medium SUVs on the market.  Before we got my current car we were considering a Tiguan so I'm hoping the ID4 is an equivalent, particularly in terms of the driving position.  We'll have to put dealer visits on our to do list.

My VW dealer said it was considered equivalent to the Tiguan and supposedly, for brand new in a like for like spec, the ID.4 was actually cheaper.

There's certainly been a big jump in the SUV sized EVs available with this level of range.
    Kia EV6, Nissan Ariya, Skoda Enyaq or Audi Q4 e-tron could be worth a look too.