Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rugby World Cup 2019

Comments

• Options
    Wasn't it Cascarino who found out he wasn't Irish at all? 
  • Options
    Yup after he played about 60 times.  Played because his grand mother was Irish, only found out after she passed she either was adopted or wasn't his grandmother.  I think. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Yup after he played about 60 times.  Played because his grand mother was Irish, only found out after she passed she either was adopted or wasn't his grandmother.  I think. 
    His mum was adopted by an Irish family, so he was Irish under the adoption law.
  • Options
    In October 2000, Cascarino was the subject of national newspaper headlines when extracts from his upcoming autobiography were published in the Sunday Mirror.[9] In it, he revealed that his mother told him in 1996 that she was adopted and therefore no blood relative to his Irish grandfather. Cascarino said in his autobiography: "I didn't qualify for Ireland. I was a fraud. A fake Irishman". The FAI's Chief Executive Bernard O'Byrne stated that he was shocked by the announcement and Cascarino's former international manager Jack Charlton questioned why he came forward with the information. Cascarino revealed that Republic of Ireland teammate Andy Townsend had advised him to keep quiet about the situation.[9]

Taken from Wikipedia.  Apologies it was his grandfather not grandmother. 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    We seem to have veered off track from *rugby*! 

There are are as many plastic English in rugby, cricket & to a lesser extent football over the years, than there are plastic Irishmen! Just enjoy yourselves and take a pride in what they do in your jersey.

Except you Cascarino...ya great big Italian spanner!!!!!   😉
  • Options
    Taken from the guardian 

Vunipola is not the only man who is going to feel a few conflicting emotions during the tournament. Around a fifth of the players here qualify for more than one country. The previous day the crowd at the Sapporo Dome had seen two men born in Australia playing for Fiji take on three men born in Fiji playing for Australia. Eight of this Tongan squad were born in New Zealand, two more in Australia. Some of them even dabbled with playing for other countries. Their centre Cooper Vuna even played two Tests for Australia in 2012, a couple of his teammates played for their under-20s team and another was in their sevens set-up.

• Options
    Hamish Watson ruled out of the rest of the world cup with the knee injury he picked up against Ireland.

Must be gutting for anyone getting to a world cup only for injury to cut it short.

Watson, who also missed the entire 6 nations with a broken hand, has been replaced by Magnus Bradbury. Badbury had travelled with the squad as a potential replacement for Jamie Richie who is recovering from a face injury picked up in the final warm up match against Georgia.
  • Options
    In Dubrovnik for a few days so had to find somewhere where my wife could see the Wales/Georgia game today. You can always rely on an Irish pub  :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I worked with his dad Domonik Cascarino at Nashes paper mill in st Mary's Cray. 
    He was Italian. 
    His mum was English. 

Tony Cascarino was as Irish as as Tom Jones. 
    I worked with his dad Domonik Cascarino at Nashes paper mill in st Mary's Cray. 
    He was Italian. 
    His mum was English. 

Tony Cascarino was as Irish as as Tom Jones. 

Irish Italians ? .. It's Not Unusual
    Very  good mate 
    Made me laugh. 
  • Options
    Hamish Watson ruled out of the rest of the world cup with the knee injury he picked up against Ireland.

Must be gutting for anyone getting to a world cup only for injury to cut it short.

Watson, who also missed the entire 6 nations with a broken hand, has been replaced by Magnus Bradbury. Badbury had travelled with the squad as a potential replacement for Jamie Richie who is recovering from a face injury picked up in the final warm up match against Georgia.
    Ali Price now ruled out of the tournament as well with foot injury picked up against the Irish, Henry Pyrgos flying out to replace him.
  • Options

Ali Price now ruled out of the tournament as well with foot injury picked up against the Irish, Henry Pyrgos flying out to replace him.
    Ah well, wont be for long then.
  • Options
    England make 10 changes for game v USA
  • Options
    In a big surprise, Uruguay beat Fiji 30-27, almost eliminates Fiji already.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    'Top' teams so far .. ABs look awesome .. S'Boks, powerful but one dimensional .. Ireland, regaining a bit of form but Scotland were woeful .. Australia, beat a very tough Fiji team … England, good so far, solid defence and swift attack, won't really know until we see them against a top side … France, referee awarded them the game v Argentina .. Argies, pissed off at refereeing against France, will come at England all out in the group game .. Wales ? .. can't remember ((:>)
  • Options
    'Top' teams so far .. ABs look awesome .. S'Boks, powerful but one dimensional .. Ireland, regaining a bit of form but Scotland were woeful .. Australia, beat a very tough Fiji team … England, good so far, solid defence and swift attack, won't really know until we see them against a top side … France, referee awarded them the game v Argentina .. Argies, pissed off at refereeing against France, will come at England all out in the group game .. Wales ? .. can't remember ((:>)
    Agree with that - apart from Australia. Uruguay showed today that Fiji are not necessarily a tough side.

That said, I still believe the Aussies have a chance.
  • Options
    The schedule for the games is so odd, 2 games tomorrow and then no games on Friday...
  • Options
    just seen the Uru/Fiji highlights .. Fiji took them too lightly and picked a second string .. however, the Uruguayans, just like their football team, played with passion and commitment like few other much 'bigger' nations can match and were well worth the win. They certainly surprised me.
    Uruguay v Georgia should be quite a game
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    England strolling through their game v USA currently 31-0 after 61 mins
  • Options
    Much better from England today. 5 tries and leading 31 - 0 after an hour.
  • Options
    So so easy ... lots of good signs today. 
  • Options
    5 tries already so bonus point gained.
  • Options
    make that 6
  • Options
    38-0 
  • Options
    Clearest red you'll see
  • Options
    45-0
  • Options
    England playing well, but a very poor contest
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Clearest red you'll see
    Yup, disgraceful.. long ban I should think.