Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie Doughty thread

Comments

• Options
    Problem is if he refuses any new contracts we offer. 

Perhaps Celtic have already been in his ear and promised European football etc. 
    Doughty would only have to wait 4 months before signing with them. 

• Options
    AndyG said:
    Isnt it nice to think we can say no when clubs come in for our players. I'm not saying Alfie wont be sold nor any other player, but its lovely to think they will only go if LB thinks it is ok for the squad and the money is right.
    Wasn’t that what Murray said when Roland bought us all those years ago. But I hope Alfie can see there is clear light in this tunnel now and Bows and Thomas can sell him a new vision which will keep him firmly with us. He’s only a kid with so many years ahead of him, unlike Lyle, so he can bide some time. 
  • Options
    I find Celtic's attitude towards Alfie really annoying - that's not just the club but the fans and local journalists too - trying to intimidate us with their "big club" attitude, making out that they simply have to bide their time and of course Alfie will sign for them.  It may be that having been the biggest club in Scotland for so long (well, the only big club during Rangers fall from grace)  has given them a misplaced idea of their own importance and status.  They certainly have a big sense of entitlement.   They need to bear in mind that they're actually just a big fish in a very small pool and are nowhere near the level of the top English and European clubs in terms of prestige and the opportunity they might provide for a young player.  They may find that most young players in Scotland would absolutely love to have the chance to play for them, but they're not such a great prospect for an up and coming player in England with sights on the Premier League.  I know that Rangers fans claim that Aribo has shown that a move to one of the Glasgow teams is not a sideways step, but while their fans may think Aribo has become a big star with them, I don't imagine that many people  outside Glasgow would share that view.  Unfortunately (for them) the reality is that Scottish football is a backwater.  

They now seem to think that our new owner will be looking for funds and will be willing to let Alfie go for just a bit more money. And that Alfie would go along with that.  Unless I have misunderstood what Thomas and Lee have been saying, however, the Charlton position is the exact opposite.  We don't need their paltry £800K or even £1m, not now and hopefully not ever again.  No player is going to leave us unless the potential buyer matches the club's valuation and Lee has said that means they'll have to offer "silly money".  We're are on the way back, we're a club with ambition which we now have the backing to match.  We also have a great record in developing  players like Alfie.  He knows that.  He doesn't need to waste his early years in Scottish football when he can develop and rise to the top in England (hopefully with Charlton).

0h and just a word to any Celtic people who might read this, Alfie isn't a left back.     
  • Options
    I find Celtic's attitude towards Alfie really annoying - that's not just the club but the fans and local journalists too - trying to intimidate us with their "big club" attitude, making out that they simply have to bide their time and of course Alfie will sign for them.  It may be that having been the biggest club in Scotland for so long (well, the only big club during Rangers fall from grace)  has given them a misplaced idea of their own importance and status.  They certainly have a big sense of entitlement.   They need to bear in mind that they're actually just a big fish in a very small pool and are nowhere near the level of the top English and European clubs in terms of prestige and the opportunity they might provide for a young player.  They may find that most young players in Scotland would absolutely love to have the chance to play for them, but they're not such a great prospect for an up and coming player in England with sights on the Premier League.  I know that Rangers fans claim that Aribo has shown that a move to one of the Glasgow teams is not a sideways step, but while their fans may think Aribo has become a big star with them, I don't imagine that many people  outside Glasgow would share that view.  Unfortunately (for them) the reality is that Scottish football is a backwater.  

They now seem to think that our new owner will be looking for funds and will be willing to let Alfie go for just a bit more money. And that Alfie would go along with that.  Unless I have misunderstood what Thomas and Lee have been saying, however, the Charlton position is the exact opposite.  We don't need their paltry £800K or even £1m, not now and hopefully not ever again.  No player is going to leave us unless the potential buyer matches the club's valuation and Lee has said that means they'll have to offer "silly money".  We're are on the way back, we're a club with ambition which we now have the backing to match.  We also have a great record in developing  players like Alfie.  He knows that.  He doesn't need to waste his early years in Scottish football when he can develop and rise to the top in England (hopefully with Charlton).

0h and just a word to any Celtic people who might read this, Alfie isn't a left back.     
    We don't need their 800k or 1m but I'd prefer it to losing a talent like Doughty on a free next year. 

If Bowyer doesn't think we can sign up Doughty to a new deal in 4 months we need to sell him. 
  • Options
    £3 million minimum....he has a special talent......blinding pace which can’t be coached
  • Options
    Big test for the new regime. If we keep losing talented youngsters for peanuts the academy won't have a long term future.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    £30 million minimum....he has a special talent......blinding pace which can’t be coached
    Why not other clubs chance their arm?
  • Options
    It hardly sends the right message of our intent under Sandgaard if we sell one of our brightest prospects (yet again at a bargain price) when we really need to make every effort to get promotion.  Besides, while we may no longer be subject to a transfer embargo, we may not be able to get in the right number of players of the right quality in this window to allow us to dispense with Doughty now.  Not if we genuinely want to get out of this division. There's no easy answer to the question of whether a full season of Alfie in League 1 would be worth more to us than the sum that Celtic seem willing to offer. But in my view it certainly would be if that means we start next season in the championship.  A million quid for that is a small price to pay. 

The ideal scenario, of course, would be Alfie helping us to get promotion and then staying with us as we progress to the premier league.  

• Options
    I would love him to stay and think we would get more in Jan if he does well now...but... That relies on him not going to Celtic or elsewhere in Jan for free such are the rules.  Tricky one for a new owner I think
  • Options
    To think, this time last year we were reading on the OS, that he had gone on loan to non-League Bromley.

If a week is a long time time in politics, then a year can mark rapid progress for a young footballer.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Every time the LB or the club mention Alfie they say he's not for sale, but then follow it with....but everyone is for sale at the right price. Am I the only one getting concerned with that bit at the end being added all the time?  Dreading that we are just waiting for a certain price to be bid and then he'll be gone.   We've consistently under sold just about everyone for years and years,  we get excited when we find out an ex-player is being sold on for £18 - $20 million and we are going to earn a million or so from it,  completely forgetting that we should have negotiated a better price for the initial sale and netted most of the huge transfer fee ourselves.
    Now we have a owner who has the finances to hold on to star players, but still the pointers are there that we want to sell.
    If it's difficult to persuade him to stay then make him the highest paid player at the club (I think we can do that as there's no wage cap for a player of his age - please correct me if I'm wrong)  I think he's been our most dangerous and creative player for several months and I don't think there's any doubt he is potentially our most valuable player if he does sign and stays with us. 
  • Options
    Big test for the new regime. If we keep losing talented youngsters for peanuts the academy won't have a long term future.
    Things will change under TS anyway as we'll surely start to offer longer contracts to young prospects instead of the shorter deals we've been offering recently. We appear to have been offering 2 year deals which fucks us, because if that player has a good season we're then in the position whereby he will be sold the following summer, or we risk losing him for free the summer after that. You can't ever plan ahead properly when you're offering shitty 2 year deals. We need to be offering 3-4 year deals.

But we'll always have a good academy, as young players will know there's a quick path to the first team and that recent players like Lookman, Pope, Grant, Aribo, Konsa and Gomez have all come through.
  • Options
    He's our only attacking spark. As scary as that sounds, its the reality. Without his handful of goals and assists last season we probably would have finished bottom of the league.
  • Options
    Yes he's a decent prospect, and his pace is a massive asset, but if Alfie that good?

Just seems curious that he's made no England youth appearances yet, as we have had no problems getting academy players recognised. The likes of Harriott and Lloyd Sam have England youth caps, never mind the more celebrated players like Konsa, Gomez and Lookman
  • Options
    Yes he's a decent prospect, and his pace is a massive asset, but if Alfie that good?

Just seems curious that he's made no England youth appearances yet, as we have had no problems getting academy players recognised. The likes of Harriott and Lloyd Sam have England youth caps, never mind the more celebrated players like Konsa, Gomez and Lookman
    Alfie's a late developer (in youth terms) which is why he was playing non league football early last season. I've no doubt that if Covid hadn't struck his performances would have earned him a call up already.
  • Options
    Hate to say it but there are probably kids coming through already in the England setup who have a better footballing brain that Alfie - He's got great pace which helps but all other areas need improvement to get ahead of the other kids elsewhere.

Certainly wouldnt say he could pass / cross the ball on a sixpence whilst his ultimate decision making is his biggest letndow
  • Options
    With good coaching, could become the next Walcot or Bale.
  • Options
    Hopefully the latter haha.
  • Options
    Or the next Kyle Reid. 

Time to again trot out Lennie's old chestnut:

Talking about our old 80s striker, Mark Stuart, "He's frustrating. I've told him he could play for Barcelona or Bromley.
    It's up to him".

Or something like that.
  • Options
    My fear is that Celtic might start whispering in his ear wage offers, that we, as a League 1 club cannot match, because we are under a wages cap.  Or, have I got ir wrong?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hopefully the latter haha.
    Off down the driving range then.
  • Options
    My fear is that Celtic might start whispering in his ear wage offers, that we, as a League 1 club cannot match, because we are under a wages cap.  Or, have I got ir wrong?
    They cant do that until January - If there is proof that they're trying to speak to Doughty before then, we can accuse them of tapping up our player
  • Options
    They cant do that until January - If there is proof that they're trying to speak to Doughty before then, we can accuse them of tapping up our player
    Good.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Or the next Kyle Reid. 

Talking about our old 80s striker, Mark Stuart, "He's frustrating. I've told him he could play for Barcelona or Bromley.
    It's up to him".

Or something like that.
    Callum Harriott looked a world beater when he first got in the team. All the tricks and skill in the book. Now at Colchester
  • Options
    Celtic don't need to say anything really - everybody already knows whatever Celtic could offer, it's going to be perhaps 10 times what Charlton could offer? But maybe, for a young player like Alfie, it's not just about the money yet; he wants to play 1st team football now.

Interesting thing ...... comparing Doughty's situation with that of Phillips: they are both out of contract at the end of the season.
    Phillips says he won't re-sign because he wants Championship football. Doughty is in the team, but anyone can understand that he can't really sign a new contract under the wage cap - firstly, because he's not going to be offered anywhere near as much as he can get elsewhere.

And secondly, if we did persuade him to sign an improved contract, it'll prevent Bowyer adding to the squad because of the wretched wage cap.

Just got to hope, that at his age, Alfie can see it's in his best interests to stay here for while, get experience and improve as a player without the pressure of expectation at a new club?

Win-win for Alfie. Should we get promoted, he gets the chance of signing a new contract here as a Championship club.
    If not, he's a free agent - and free to go wherever his agent gets a good deal.

• Options
    Dont forget Oggy that Alfie is still only 20... We can offer him what he wants as it wont impact the Salary Cap - The risk from that though is if we dont get promoted this season then do we start getting fined because Alfie turns 21 so his contract puts us over the £2.5m or is it exempt until it gets to renewal because its something he signed whilst he was under age?

Funnily he actually turns 21 in late December so might actually have to move to get him that new Contract sorted if we can get around it that way
  • Options
    Dont forget Oggy that Alfie is still only 20... We can offer him what he wants as it wont impact the Salary Cap - The risk from that though is if we dont get promoted this season then do we start getting fined because Alfie turns 21 so his contract puts us over the £2.5m or is it exempt until it gets to renewal because its something he signed whilst he was under age?

Funnily he actually turns 21 in late December so might actually have to move to get him that new Contract sorted if we can get around it that way
    Cheers, Forever ...... I had forgotten. Ha ha makes half my post read b*ll*cks has usual! :smile:

• Options

Regarding England youth appearances we shouldn't forget Stacy Long, who captained the England under 16s, then went on to play mostly in League 2 and non-league.

My opinion is that Alfie is as good and better than some of those you mentioned.  Agree with everyone he needs to improve many aspects of his game.  But we also need to take into consideration his age, how much senior football he has played and that he has been played in several different positions - left wing back, left back, left of midfield 4, right of a front 3.  Can't be easy for a young player trying to learn and improve.  Yet he is still creating more chances than anyone else in the team.

• Options

I thought that existing players count as the divisional average until their contract runs out. Not 100% sure, but couldn't we in theory offer him a 4 year deal on 5k a week but then when he turns 21 he will only count as like 2k? That's definitely the case for existing, but not entirely sure how it works out if it's a contract after the cap but before the wage counts. Confused!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Or the next Kyle Reid. 

It's up to him".

Or something like that.

A month after picking up the keys to his house on the south side of the Thames Mark Stuart was sold to Plymouth. 

Pre Bosman, players didn't have much say if a manager wanted them to move on.