Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie Doughty thread

Comments

• Options
    When we sneak into the playoffs, win at Wembley again and the press are all over us they will be looking at a manager who came through the youth set up at Charlton and a squad with Solly, Phillips, Lapslie, Doughty, Morgan and Vennings in it (apologies if I’ve overlooked anybody) plus who knows who else will get a chance the way things have gone so far.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Has been really outstanding in recent games for someone with no experience previously, to come into a side who have been struggling and in a very competitive league, it’s quite something.

Doughty gives us an outlet, someone who likes to stay wide and also take on his man going forward. His decision making and final ball will get better the more he plays, is coached by Bowyer and Jackson, and just generally with confidence and experience. He needs to work a little on his first touch, there have been a few times he has tried to take the ball in his stride straight away and the touch has been loose. A closer control and he’d be even more threatening. Again, that will be developed.

When we have our stronger and better midfielders back, he will also benefit because he won’t be made to run up and down the line all game long. Players like Williams will come over and support whilst others like Cullen will happily drop back whilst he pushes on.

Has really made a case of that left wing-back role being his right now. There’s no chance he won’t play on Boxing Day. Another one with a bright future.
    Didn't he limp off on Saturday?

In principle I am 100% in agreement with you but knowing our luck we've probably picked up yet another serious injury!
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Sage said:
    Has been really outstanding in recent games for someone with no experience previously, to come into a side who have been struggling and in a very competitive league, it’s quite something.

Doughty gives us an outlet, someone who likes to stay wide and also take on his man going forward. His decision making and final ball will get better the more he plays, is coached by Bowyer and Jackson, and just generally with confidence and experience. He needs to work a little on his first touch, there have been a few times he has tried to take the ball in his stride straight away and the touch has been loose. A closer control and he’d be even more threatening. Again, that will be developed.

When we have our stronger and better midfielders back, he will also benefit because he won’t be made to run up and down the line all game long. Players like Williams will come over and support whilst others like Cullen will happily drop back whilst he pushes on.

Has really made a case of that left wing-back role being his right now. There’s no chance he won’t play on Boxing Day. Another one with a bright future.
    Didn't he limp off on Saturday?

In principle I am 100% in agreement with you but knowing our luck we've probably picked up yet another serious injury!
    Bowyer said he took Alfie off because he was starting to cramp up.

Normally that just needs a bit of rest in a young, fit lad.
    Shouldn't be anything to worry about.

If in doubt, refer to our resident physio @Sage as always.  :smile:

• Options
    Will very quickly be first choice before Purr (prob Thursday). Good player. 
  • Options
    ...... if Bowyer chooses to play wingbacks in a 3-5-2, no doubt.
    From what I've seen so far, wingback is Doughty's ideal position.

Perhaps in a flat back 4 ...... Doughty will no doubt instinctively try to get forward and would need defensive cover. I'm not so sure our makeshift midfield is currently strong enough to provide that.

Don't write off Purrington though. He doesn't seem to be in a good place at the moment which Bowyer will work on - but he can still do a sound job in a stronger flat back 4 line up, if it's tactictly required.

• Options
    Very exciting player. Prefer seeing him on the wing as he offers more there.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    We don’t often play wingers, although he started there on Saturday.

Until we have someone reliable to play alongside Lockyer, I’d persist with 352 and Doughty can play LWB until Jake comes back 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    ...... if Bowyer chooses to play wingbacks in a 3-5-2, no doubt.
    From what I've seen so far, wingback is Doughty's ideal position.

Perhaps in a flat back 4 ...... Doughty will no doubt instinctively try to get forward and would need defensive cover. I'm not so sure our makeshift midfield is currently strong enough to provide that.

Don't write off Purrington though. He doesn't seem to be in a good place at the moment which Bowyer will work on - but he can still do a sound job in a stronger flat back 4 line up, if it's tactictly required.

Can't remember who it was against as my memory is shit but he played left back in a 4 recently when Purrington was ill and played alright. With the way Purrington has been playing recently I really doubt Doughty would be worse. 
  • Options
    To be fair I've only seen Doughty play the full ninety against Hull and was very impressed. Here's hoping he reaches his full potential with us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    We don’t often play wingers, although he started there on Saturday.

Until we have someone reliable to play alongside Lockyer, I’d persist with 352 and Doughty can play LWB until Jake comes back 
    I get that but maybe we need to. 
  • Options
    come into the team and fitted like a comfy old glove .. yet another quality graduate from the CAFC School of Excellence 
  • Options
    Having watched him for the last 3 seasons so pleased for him. Told you he has goals in him.
  • Options
    Has pace but very few tricks. For me that makes him a potential full back. Waggy stalled his career by not making that choice. He could have been a Prem RB.  Interesting that Fox has played a large part in Wendies resurgence (not that he has pace).
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    John Mcginn has pace and very few tricks.
  • Options
    I'm not sure if Doughty can play as a full back - he needs to work on the defensive side of his game. As a wing back the attacking side of his game comes to the fore.

It ultimately depends on what formation he plays in. 
  • Options
    I'm not sure if Doughty can play as a full back - he needs to work on the defensive side of his game. As a wing back the attacking side of his game comes to the fore.

It ultimately depends on what formation he plays in. 
    He’s got stuff to learn defensively but in either of our main two systems, the full back or wing back get lots of the ball and he’s therefore first  choice for me, unless Page or JFC prove themselves over a run of games .  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Be interesting when we get a full compliment back what Bow does with him. He is raw talent but lots of development to come, does he keep him in the squad potentially coming g off the bench but limiting his playing time, play him in the U23s or loan him out to League 1 or 2 club, where his development can continue for 6 months away from the spotlight.
  • Options
    If we fully solidify by the end of January then a loan out would aid his development more than U23 football.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    If we fully solidify by the end of January then a loan out would aid his development more than U23 football.
    I'd be surprised if he wasn't involved in the 18 until the end of the season regardless of league position/who we bring in. If not starting he's a great option from the bench to run at tired legs.
  • Options
    Given our injury record in recent times I wouldn't loan anybody out. There's plenty of time in the close season to consider the further development of our youngsters.
  • Options
    Who was the fella that used to post regularly on here years ago with reports of how his young boy was getting on in the youth system?
     Think he got hounded out by some on here.

Sure his boys name was Alfie?
  • Options
    Who was the fella that used to post regularly on here years ago with reports of how his young boy was getting on in the youth system?

Called himself Terry Naylor if memory serves me right.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

You're right Len.

Is this our Alfie?

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/54066/the-boy-done-good-cafc-u9-academy/p1
  • Options
    Yes. I remember. Alfie Naylor. Nah, that’s not our Alfie. 
  • Options

LenGlover said:

You're right Len.

Is this our Alfie?

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/54066/the-boy-done-good-cafc-u9-academy/p1
    Terry Naylor's Alfie would be about 15 years old now, I guess.

Can't help wondering how he progressed.

• Options
    Alfie Doughty is unreal. Like a Championship version of Gareth Bale!