Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie Doughty thread

Comments

• Options
    Thought he put a proper shift in yesterday. Took a throw in just in front of us in the second half and he looked dead on his feet though. Needed to come off a bit earlier than he did. Can't fault his effort but needs to work on decision making, which comes with experience.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Green was not happy with not being put through 1 on 1. Quite rightly too and hopefully something they address in training. The runs yesterday were a bit deep and going the long way about it. 
    Thought the Barnsley defender made the challenge just at the perfect moment the pass would have been at its best

Did like how how he switched off for that corner we got which allowed Barnsley to break

Not so much the incident but how you had Williams and someone else just had a quiet word of advice for him

Was a reminder of how raw he was compared to everyone else in the team yesterday

I'm sure Bowyer had his reasons for going three at the back but Doughty is in that Wing-Back role on merit over Purrington (who has the Left-Back role)
  • Options
    Doughty is not great defensively and in the wing back role can leave us exposed. Excellent going forward but needs to pick out a final ball.

An exciting prospect.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Let us not forget he played the best part of half a season for Bromley.

If he was the finished article he wouldn't still be playing for us. I think he has embraced his opportunity and is going from strength to strength.
    Saw him play first against Forest Green and he's improved massively since then. With the right coaching he should go far.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

If he was the finished article he wouldn't still be playing for us. I think he has embraced his opportunity and is going from strength to strength.
    Alfie was only at Bromley  for 6 or 7 weeks, Len.

Was originally a month's loan but was then extended for a further month, before being cancelled early to add him to our depleted squad.

He played 6 National League games for Bromley, scoring twice.

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Alfie Doughty is unreal. Like a Championship version of Gareth Bale!
    You’d make a great agent Tom!
  • Options
    Mixture of good and bad yesterday. You can see the areas he needs to work on but he looks a great prospect.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Definitely prefer him as a wide forward player than a wing back, though Bowyer seems to prefer 3 CBS 
  • Options
    Cant remember if I've posted in this thread but doughty is brilliant! Looks like he has it all. 
    Hope we can tie him down long term. 
  • Options
    Really like Doughty and been hugely impressed with how he's stepped up so far but he's definitely not a defender.  He had 34% passing accuracy rate against Barnsley so definitely not his best game and pretty shocking at any level of football over 90mins but not his fault he was thrown in there in such a high pressure game.

We definitely need to tie him down for a good few years though as he's been excellent when played further up the pitch.
  • Options
    I like Doughty, it’s just tough as to where he’s going to fit in. I don’t like us playing wing backs/ three at the back and it doesn’t suit Matthews. Doughty isn’t good enough defensively to play LB yet either. 

But he will keep chances even off the bench so I hope he carries on developing. Been one of the only positives over the last couple of months. 
  • Options
    I hope we can tie him down to something long term before his profile grows even higher, which it will. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    LenGlover said:

Was originally a month's loan but was then extended for a further month, before being cancelled early to add him to our depleted squad.

I thought he was at Bromley longer than that but my point still stands.

This is a player making his breakthrough into mens football. Back in August a successful Conference (or whatever they call it now) season was probably the height of his aspirations. All of a sudden he was given the chance to play in the second tier of English football and has grasped it with both hands.

My point is that some of those criticising him may have forgotten all that.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Oggy Red said:
    LenGlover said:

This is a player making his breakthrough into mens football. Back in August a successful Conference (or whatever they call it now) season was probably the height of his aspirations. All of a sudden he was given the chance to play in the second tier of English football and has grasped it with both hands.

I haven't really seen anyone criticising him. I think it's totally fair to say his decision making could be improved, Saturday showed that. That's more of an observation than criticising him, 99% of what I have read has been positive. 
  • Options
    I think it is wrong to say he isn't a defender. I am seeing the defensive side of his game improve and it will make him a more complete player and have better options going forwards.
  • Options
    I think it is wrong to say he isn't a defender. I am seeing the defensive side of his game improve and it will make him a more complete player and have better options going forwards.
    I don’t, not at the minute anyway. He’s definitely superior going forward. Right now I wouldn't want him as a LB in a flat back 4. A good winger would cause him loads of problems and it’s not getting the best out of him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It is about development of the player too. 
  • Options
    It is about development of the player too. 
    Not in the middle of a relegation battle it isn’t.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    But you don't change your formation for one player in a relegation battle either. Coaches can look at the good and bad on Saturday and help Doughty get even better. 
  • Options
    But you don't change your formation for one player in a relegation battle either. Coaches can look at the good and bad on Saturday and help Doughty get even better. 
    That was my point, I think we’re better in a back 4. So although it’s tough on Doughty, I would t start him. 
  • Options
    I think the players marks will testify that he wasn't dreadful on Saturday.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I think it was a tough decision for Bowyer to play three at the back on Saturday

We'd brought in three loan signings the day before yet only one could play and due to a lack of game time probably didnt have the match fitness required

It then left Bowyer with the decision to either start another player just back from injury (effectively wasting a sub later in the game as they'd be the third player needing to be replace) in the diamond formation, of course he could have utilised Doughty in that formation or gone with something similar to how we lined up against Fulham yet with one Striker might have been a bit too negative

With David Davis as an option now I reckon we'll see a more permanent return to the four in Midfield

Bowyer can then alternate between having Matt Smith / Sam Field on the bench as the latter continues his own recovery whilst ensuring we dont have a bench where the majority of players are those trying to get match fit, else there is the risk the replacements we see coming on will replicate what we saw from JFC on Saturday

On the subject of Alfie, I certainly dont think we'll see him disappearing from the team either, in my eyes he's gone ahead of the youth queue and apart from George Lapslie is probably the one kid from the academy most likely to be involved on a matchday, instead reckon he'll become more of an impact sub
  • Options
    I like three at the back, but I think it would work better with Prately as the central one. 
  • Options
    I think the players marks will testify that he wasn't dreadful on Saturday.
    ?? I never said he was. 
  • Options
    I think it was a tough decision for Bowyer to play three at the back on Saturday

We'd brought in three loan signings the day before yet only one could play and due to a lack of game time probably didnt have the match fitness required

It then left Bowyer with the decision to either start another player just back from injury (effectively wasting a sub later in the game as they'd be the third player needing to be replace) in the diamond formation, of course he could have utilised Doughty in that formation or gone with something similar to how we lined up against Fulham yet with one Striker might have been a bit too negative

With David Davis as an option now I reckon we'll see a more permanent return to the four in Midfield

Bowyer can then alternate between having Matt Smith / Sam Field on the bench as the latter continues his own recovery whilst ensuring we dont have a bench where the majority of players are those trying to get match fit, else there is the risk the replacements we see coming on will replicate what we saw from JFC on Saturday

On the subject of Alfie, I certainly dont think we'll see him disappearing from the team either, in my eyes he's gone ahead of the youth queue and apart from George Lapslie is probably the one kid from the academy most likely to be involved on a matchday, instead reckon he'll become more of an impact sub
    Yeah that's how I see it. I definitely don't want him disappearing, and his pace could prove very valuable. 

I do hope we switch to a back 4, I think it certainly suits us at Full-Back and our best form under Bows has been with a diamond. 

Unfortunately that formation doesn't suit Doughty at all, but it doesn't mean he should go back with the U23's, that would be harsh on a young lad who has been very very good over the last 6-8 weeks. 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Oggy Red said:
    LenGlover said:

I haven’t seen criticism, I’ve seen lots of positives about him. He is not the finished article or a defender! He was poor defensively against Barnsley and made the wrong decisions pretty much every time he ventured forward. That isn’t Criticism it is fact/opinion. 

He is the next one off the conveyor belt and I’m looking forward to watching him develop before he is sold to the premier league for hopefully £15m minimum