Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alfie Doughty thread

Comments

• edited February 2020
    He made some wrong calls defensively and offensively. We have to expect this in a young player and I have noticed that he is decent in the tackle and shows some attributes that can help him develop into a very strong wing back - pace being a major one. What I disagree with is the idea that the formation we play doesn't suit him. Play him in the role he had on Saturday enough times and he will get better and better at it.
  • He made some wrong calls defensively and offensively. We have to expect this in a young player and I have noticed that he is decent in the tackle and shows some attributes that can help him develop into a very strong wing back - pace being a major one. What I disagree with is the idea that the formation we play doesn't suit him. Play him in the role he had on Saturday enough times and he will get better and better at it.
    I think you are completely misunderstanding. I am talking about playing a 442 Diamond, You go on to say "play him in the role he had on Saturday..." That's exactly the point, I don't want us to play 3 at the back so Doughty wouldn't be playing the role he had on Saturday. 

The formation we played Saturday is probably his ideal position, definitely long-term, but I don't think it's best for the team. 
  • Ok I understand but the system worked well enough in the first half. It didn't work so well when we sat back and this would have probably happened if we had started with a 4-4-2 as well.
  • Ok I understand but the system worked well enough in the first half. It didn't work so well when we sat back and this would have probably happened if we had started with a 4-4-2 as well.
    Agreed, I just don't think it's been particularly effective for us generally. I am talking about more than just the Barnsley game. 

I would like to see us revert to the Diamond, I think it suits Williams better and he is a key player. 
  • I was always under the impression that Alfie was a central midfielder but he appears to be much more of a winger now. It's unfortuante that his position isn't that well suited to how Lee plays, but then with McGeady and Green available we can always switch to wingers if we need. Alfie really needs to work on his final ball, that's his big weakness. Teams can't deal with his deceptive pace once he gets going, but he doesn't always know when to release the ball and when he does his ball across isn't always good enough. That will come with time though, he's a real prospect.
  • I thought Doughty was really working well with Gallagher until he left us.
  • I like three at the back, but I think it would work better with Prately as the central one. 
    The biggest problem with the way we play 3 at the back, is how deep we end up playing.

Then the midfield get either drawn too deep, inviting pressure and it's difficult to counter attack - or separated from the defence and gaps appear with the back 3 CBs exposed on the floor.

Plus the 2 strikers get isolated and the ball doesn't stick up front.
    Back comes the ball to pressure our defence and then we've retreated further, camping on our 18 yard line.

Playing a higher defensive line keeps the team together as a unit.
    But it needs mobile CBs.

• If you are offensively minded, the formation works better - for us anyway.
  • Here's his before pic... See if you can spot him

• Sponsored links:

• Love how they do this at the club... Youth players wear blue in training, when they've been with the first team long enough they get to wear red like everyone else

Well done Alfie!!

It's like a public school where the senior boys get to bully the junior ones! Now Alfie is one of the senior boys, and pick one of the juniors to be his fag  :)
  • edited February 2020
    Must have been great for him to go into training today and be given the red training gear
  • Wearing the number 18 shirt this season now that Green has gone, are we planning to use him as a winger?

• Looks the bollocks this season
  • He'll be gone before the end of the month.
    The ownership mess will save us for the time being. Gallen  appears to be calling the shots with transfers, with no ceo, chairman or owner to override him and accept a stupid offer then I can’t see him going.

which means he signed for Celtic last month
    The ownership mess will save us for the time being. Gallen  appears to be calling the shots with transfers, with no ceo, chairman or owner to override him and accept a stupid offer then I can’t see him going.

The problem will be, when the club needs the money to pay wages.
  • Sponsored links:

The problem will be, when the club needs the money to pay wages.
    Phillips will be sold for that basis. As Elliot is t the owner, he can’t asset strip until January. Gallen is in control and I think he will seek Phillips over outfield players 
  • Alfie worth 5 mil in my opinion......as said he has blinding pace which is not coachable
  • We always need to talk our players up rather than down, if other clubs are interested.
  • They still seem convinced that if we don't sell him to them now then they'll just sign him on a pre-contract agreement in January and we'll get nothing. 
  • Also the strong possibility that if he has a very good start to the season for us there'll be a lot more interest than just from Celtic, maybe Fulham will be tempted to have another look for example 
  • Isnt it nice to think we can say no when clubs come in for our players. I'm not saying Alfie wont be sold nor any other player, but its lovely to think they will only go if LB thinks it is ok for the squad and the money is right.