Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Brentford | Sat 24 Aug | 3pm KO | POST-MATCH THREAD

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    At least we were successful.
  • Options
    Just had a Brentford fan get in my face and say you were fucking lucky...I agree but I said forest were simular the other night...they had tons of possession but we're crap. 
    You should have gobbed in his eye, nutted him and ripped his bollocks off with your  bare hands  o:)
    Bit sexist of you to assume a football fan has to be male. ;-)
    Absolutely.

You should have ripped her bollocks off.
  • Options
    Daggs said:

PWR

Awful display from Charlton. Could be the luckiest win we'll have all season.

A combination of last-ditch defending and some wayward Brentford finishing kept us in it.

Second period we barely got out of our own half. 14 corners to our two!!!

I'll take the win and points, but we have to be much much better than that.

You say we need to be much better than that but we were 100x better and didn’t win Wednesday! In the words of Bow.....that’s football, it is what it is!
  • Options
    Only thing that worries me today is we'll face teams MUCH better than Brentford

People on here have said that they'd be second the way they played (If they had a Striker) yet they had a Striker last season and only finished 11th

Based on last season they're effectively the second hardest team we've faced so far

We will face teams who have the Strikers to hurt us, just hope that we'll have the luck this season, or we'll face them when we've had a fresh week rather than quick turn around like today
    Good days, poor days when you have to dig in to get the result.

Against Forest we were much better than today - and arguably better than Brentford.
    Worry thee not.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    they also show how midfield tackles win matches ((:>)
  • Options
    The crowd were absolutely superb today
  • Options
    Daggs said:

PWR

Awful display from Charlton. Could be the luckiest win we'll have all season.

A combination of last-ditch defending and some wayward Brentford finishing kept us in it.

Second period we barely got out of our own half. 14 corners to our two!!!

I'll take the win and points, but we have to be much much better than that.

How was that an awful display? It was heroic! We had no time to recover from a gruelling performance on Wednesday night. Leko could hardly walk after 20 minutes he was so tired. 

Brentford are a fantastic side who will be in and around the play offs at the end of the season. They spent 30 million in the summer! I’ve never seen a side give so much for their manager.

we knew we couldn’t outplay them today and we dig deep and relied on the belief in our defence that we could hold onto that lead. it wasn’t free flowing, but it bloody wasn’t awful!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lockyer tackle wednesday was one of the best I'd seen for years. 

Today I think he may have bettered it. 
  • Options
    The tunnel jump was great, Hemed didn't seem to know what was going on as he just wandered out, the crowd seemed confused by it, luckily Taylor saved the day by following him out and jumping so we could all cheer
  • Options

One moment of genius from Williams but for the rest of the game I thought we were absolutely awful. Tired, passive, gutless and devoid of attacking ideas or quality. And what the hell was Leko's problem? He was like a sulky toddler from kick-off and was lucky to stay on until half time.

I thought we deserved nothing but somehow walked away with all three points.  Almost impossible to believe it was the same team (ish) as Wednesday night when we looked like Barcelona for 45 minutes.

Having said that, we could have played until Sunday night and Brentford still wouldn't have scored and Lockyer was immense.

• Options
    masicat said:
    A very good Brentford team who will be up there end of season. Can’t understand why they didn’t buy a striker though.
    They did try.... 
  • Options
    Just had a Brentford fan get in my face and say you were fucking lucky...I agree but I said forest were simular the other night...they had tons of possession but we're crap. 
    You should have gobbed in his eye, nutted him and ripped his bollocks off with your  bare hands  o:)
    It was a 5 year old girl though.
    OK. Same program less the bollock-ripping.
  • Options
    Losing Oshilaja was a blow for us. From then on we seemed to lose our shape pretty much for the whole game. We just couldn't get anything going today really, apart from the goal. And what a goal that was, superbly finished off by Gallagher. He's some player for us. Beckham-esque. At least he looks a bit like him.

I thought Dillon was off today and that didn't help us getting the ball out of defense. It seemed like he had been told to release it quickly which he was trying but his accuracy was pretty poor. Notice today, no playing out from the back. Maybe we should go back to that more often. Sometimes heart in mouth stuff but I do think it's more productive in the long run. I'm sure that was instruction from Bows though and in Bows we trust.

I thought Brentford looked good in all but the final third where they were pretty woeful. it's goals that count and at the end of the day we scored and they didn't. We deserved that win.

Pearce and Lockyer were immense in the centre at the back. Attacking midfield just couldn't get anything going for us. But backs to the wall stuff for everyone and it worked. Not a game for the purists that one but we showed we can grit it out.

2nd spot and 11 from 15 points. I would say that's not too shabby!!

COYR!!!

• Options
    Certainly did not hit the heights today (apart from the Brentford strikers, that is) but some heroic defending after LB was forced to shuffle the pack following  Deji's injury helped get a valuable three points. Lockyer was immense and Pearce not far behind. Looking forward to seeing more of Hemed and herograms to Lyle Taylor - he ran himself into the ground in what must have been difficult conditions to play in.
     Only moan about Taylor was that he was lucky not to concede a penalty in the ninth minute when he decked a Brentford player off the ball. Did anyone else see it?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Daggs said:
    Phillips:  5
    Oshilaja: 5 O/K for the short time he was on.
    Lockyer: 5
    Pearce: 5
    Purrington: 6
    Pratley: 6
    Cullen: 5
    Gallagher: 7
    Williams: 7
    Leko: 1  First time I've seen him. won't care if it's the last on that showing.
    Taylor: 5
    Lapslie: 7
    Hemed: 5
    Referee:7
    Sorry to take issue with you, mate ....... but really?

For example, everybody but you agrees that Lockyer and Pearce were immense. And others really put a shift in. One hell of a team effort.

Oh well, it's all about opinions, I suppose. :smile:

Numeric keys must be knackered, as whatever number you push a 5, 6 or 7 appears on a random selector basis  ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Awful awful performance.......but we won.
     Played 100x better on Wednesday evening & drew. That is football. You pick up points when you can - sometimes they are merited, sometimes not. 

Saying all that the defence was bloody brilliant for the last 30 mins & in no small part because of Lapslie. I admit I'm not his no 1 fan but when you can step in & play out of position for 60 mins & not put a foot wrong then hats off to you. Lockyer once again showed that he is a defender first & foremost and Pratley also played well after having to switch position.

I think Wrdnesday evening & the heat took its toll & we were 2nd best all over the pitch. Didn't get going & our passing was woeful. Good job they can have a rest & go again next Saturday. A point will give us an average of 2 points per game - which is automatic promotion form. Like Bowyer I'm not getting carried away. The more we can amass now the better it will be come January & February when we could be fighting for every single point. 

20th & not losing to Millwall will do me 

• Options
    While Oshilaja was on, we were getting heavily outnumbered that side. Leko did have a bit of a stinker as he will on games that we are not all attacking as a team.
  • Options
    Echo what we all are saying. Great 3 points. Brentford were good but will struggle without a goalscorer. 2nd after 5 games and unbeaten. Trying to remain grounded but it is pretty exciting and we do have depth in squad now. This league always seems to have a dark horse. Could be us. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    SDAddick said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Where was Naby? We surrendered possession for most of the match, and it was the complete opposite of the first forty five minutes v. Forest. 

Yes, bodies were put on the line, and it was a valiant defensive performance, but we were very lucky to get anything from the game. The heat definitely didn’t help, and we generally looked a little lethargic. I’m assuming Otzumer wasn’t ready to play again, but a player like that who’s great in tight areas, would have been useful. 
    Brentford's back four were superb.  
    In a backs to the wall type of last 20 minutes, Pearce is excellent. But the overall lack of quality in build up is why I believe Sarr fits better with how Bowyer wants to play, and would have helped us play more on the front foot. Pearce isn't good on the ball, and he tends to play very deep. Was excellent today, but I think Nabs deserves a shot in a back four.

Pearce was my MOTM by the way. 
    But Pearce is the leader.

And plays by example.

All the while the new players are settling in and buying into Bow's ethos, the team finding it's feet in the Championship and the players building self-belief ..... then we need the organisation and leadership of Pearce.

I believe many would agree with you that Sarr fits in better with how Bowyer ideally wants to play - the Nabster played an integral part in our exhibition passing game against Forest; he'll step in when Pearce is rested and to suit a certain game plan.

If team building was a case of selecting your 11 most talented players it would be simple.
    But a team like that might well be without the grit, tenacity, graft and leadership that is needed.

It's always a question of balance. As Lawrie McMenemy once said, "in every team you need 9 virtuoso and 2 roadsweepers".

And Curbs: "I expect my team to perform greater than its sum of parts".

Bowyer seems to have the same philosophy.
    All great points. And what I should have added in my comment, and which I usually do when discussing Pearce, is something to the effect of "he is the captain and clearly a leader and how that impacts a team is hard for me to gauge from a distance." 

And obviously, it's a good problem to have. Love him though I do, Naby wouldn't necessarily be in the team every week for me, I just think he'd be in the team more than he has been. Against Barnsley, for example, where we struggled in the first 60 minutes of so because they pressed us the same way they pressed us last season, and Conor Chaplain pressed us the same way he did for Coventry last season, and they really kept us from playing. For me, that's where Naby's ability on the ball is better suited (and Naby was suspended last year for the game away to Coventry in what was arguably our worst showing). Today, even though we were at home, it's clear Brentford like to have a lot of the ball, and I think to an extent Bows and Jacko were happy to let them have it--probably not to the extent that they did, but still. And when that's the case, if you're going to put men behind the ball and defend deep, that's where Pearce can be a real asset. 

Again, I don't want it going unremarked, Pearce was excellent today. 
  • Options
    When a team has 22 shots and only 4 on target that shows how good our defensive pressing/blocking was and how wayward their finishing was! It doesn't matter how well you play if you can't score, 2 goals in 5 games is relegation form
  • Options
    Enjoyable game of defence v attack and defence won. Fantastic performance to pull of a win and that ‘they shall not pass’ attitude will be needed a lot this season.

Pleased we are 39 points off our target this season already. Should be safe but a long way to go.

Also pleased we have found a replacement for Solly. An outstanding performance against a very good winger and his mates. Thank you George, take a bow.
  • Options
    A leader doesn't need the skills of a frontline player. Leadership is a different skillset and those skills are less obvious to observers.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Daggs said:
    Phillips:  5
    Oshilaja: 5 O/K for the short time he was on.
    Lockyer: 5
    Pearce: 5
    Purrington: 6
    Pratley: 6
    Cullen: 5
    Gallagher: 7
    Williams: 7
    Leko: 1  First time I've seen him. won't care if it's the last on that showing.
    Taylor: 5
    Lapslie: 7
    Hemed: 5
    Referee:7
    Sorry to take issue with you, mate ....... but really?

For example, everybody but you agrees that Lockyer and Pearce were immense. And others really put a shift in. One hell of a team effort.

Oh well, it's all about opinions, I suppose. :smile:

Indeed it is :) and I was a bit mean they can have a six each.