Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Brentford | Sat 24 Aug | 3pm KO | POST-MATCH THREAD

Comments

• Options
    Just had a Brentford fan get in my face and say you were fucking lucky...I agree but I said forest were simular the other night...they had tons of possession but we're crap. 
    You should have gobbed in his eye, nutted him and ripped his bollocks off with your  bare hands  o:)
    Bit sexist of you to assume a football fan has to be male. ;-)
  • Options
    Sign of a great team when you win games like that 
  • Options
    Were we lucky? They had all the possession but Phillips only made two saves, one looked like it was going over. We defended well and carved them open for our goal. They didn’t carve us open like that. 

Brentford lost the game when they kept all their eggs in one basket and bid for our striker 2 mins before the close of the window. 

Serves them right
    Phillips made two save but the defence made at least 6.
    3 points is 3 points and the records will show a one nil win. 

They deserved something, do I give a fuck, no. 

COYR
    Unlikely to score if you can’t beat the defender. 
  • Options

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    We can play teams off the park on our good days and shut them out when it’s not happening for us. That should take us a long way. 
    Yep, all the way to the Prem. Ask Lee Bowyer (when he's not playing mind games). :smile:
    way way early to be saying this but i agree wholeheartedly
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Callum posted this on the match thread. Needs watching again:

Gallagher GOAL (with Brentford iFollow commentary) below:

Now with added .gif (can't include the Cullen and Williams tackles that were instrumental in catching Brentford on the back foot as I'm limited to seven second clips):

As said on the match thread, very Lampard-like.
  • Options
    Cheers for the updates and reports all - this season is going so much better so far than we could have hoped.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:
    Charlton Athletic under Lee Bowyer be like... #cafc

Love that film.  Time to watch it again.
  • Options
    Credit to George, my MOM

Well done kid. 
    Heard Bow singing his praises on BBC London radio on the way home.  Says if he asks him to jump, George 'll say, 'How high?'   Also  said that he'll 'Run through a brick wall for yer' (actually said from yer) probably a Freudian slip, but sounds pretty good either way to me.
  • Options
    I should be in bed but I'm still buzzing about this one. First time this season our midfield has ben outplayed only for the defence to do its job absolutely brilliantly. I can stil picture the red shirted players diving around the penalty box trying to block everything with any (legal) part of the body. Fantastic. Lockyer's tackling was top class and Pearce, despite looking out of his feet at one point, was inspirational.

Second in the table and nearly a quarter of the way to the safe poinnts target after five games. Who'd 'ave thought it a month ago?

• Options
    Credit to George, my MOM

Well done kid. 
    Heard Bow singing his praises on BBC London radio on the way home.  Says if he asks him to jump, George 'll say, 'How high?'   Also  said that he'll 'Run through a brick wall for yer' (actually said from yer) probably a Freudian slip, but sounds pretty good either way to me.
    Is probably why George is making the bench ahead of Forster-Caskey and is why I wont be surprised if its the latter that gets loaned out

JFC isnt a bad player but he's a Midfielder pure and simple; Lapslie on the other would probably play in Goal if we asked him to!!
  • Options
    The official Charlton handbook claims Dillon Phillips came from the academy.

I reckon thats wrong. We got Dillon from Amazon, because he is on fire!!!!!
    Thought it was Dillon's worst ever game for us actually... His distribution and decision making for about 70mins was shocking e.g. coming for a ball between a Brentford player and Pearce (?), left himself in no mans land and luckily the ball sailed over

Was the last 20mins when he really came to life and made some excellent saves, something we've not seen before
    As I’ve just said on the player marks thread, I spend a lot of time at games arguing with a couple of guys in my row who continually and blindly berate Dillon regardless of how well he is doing. They just don’t like him and never will. I do rate him but I thought he was awful today. A couple of vital but reasonably routine saves otherwise he spread panic every time he went near the ball and his distribution was laughably bad. Baled out by his centre halfs. 
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Brentford are going down if they can’t win games with 69% possession and 19 shots 
  • Options

PWR

Awful display from Charlton. Could be the luckiest win we'll have all season.

A combination of last-ditch defending and some wayward Brentford finishing kept us in it.

Second period we barely got out of our own half. 14 corners to our two!!!

I'll take the win and points, but we have to be much much better than that.

• Options
    A win ground out in very difficult circumstances. Heat , lethargy from effort of Wednesday and strangely a number of instances where two men went for the same ball without calling for it and injured themselves in the process . Brentford were a good passing team who strung a lot together . Excellent in midfield and at the back but crap up front . On that basis they will finish just over half way . Pretty disappointing return I would think if you have spent over £30 m on players . How long will their owners tolerate that I wonder . Phillips should have a second career in pantomime when he hangs up his gloves . Punching when he should catch the ball .the ball  Hitting his stomach and bouncing off into forwards path before a desperate clearing hook into touch by one of our superb centre backs . Parrying shots after a scurrying Hollywood type dive into a forwards path . Not great from him but he kept a clean sheet somehow so well done overall . Bowyer looked stone faced and as rigid as a statue after the ball bouncing off the stomach comedy and his body language said it all after terrific display from defence . Would not be surprised to see a change in goal soon as that was very shaky from Phillips and could have cost us dearly . 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Listened to it on Valley Pass in the car. I'd forgotten what a good (biased) commentator Terry Smith is. Described that epic last stand brilliantly. 

Feels literally unbelievably good tonight.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    It kinda was !! 
  • Options
    andyg90 said:i
    Pearce was an absolute mountain at the back today. Lockyer again last ditch defending was top class. 

Attacking threat non existent but they defended very well. 

Brentford fans on the train made me laugh. Saying we cheated our way to a win - ref and linesman were poor for both teams. Apparently we were the ones diving all over the place. 
    Apparently they should be beating little old Charlton. Lack of insight. We haven’t lost in nearly a year at home in the league for a reason.  We’re also unbeaten this season, for a reason. 

Lastly, they said Lyle did absolutely nothing creative all game. If he doesn’t make the run wide, Gallagher doesn’t have that space in the middle. 

Make no mistake, I’ve no idea how we won that. 
    Where were they when Brentford were shit?

For different reasons this was as good a  performance as good as Wednesday.

Players were awesome. For the guy in tje bar who said Taylor did not look interested ... he was dead on his feet

• Options
    I think the heat and the sun had a big impact on the players today and this probably contributed to a poor display even though the defenders were real titans. I think Lekko  must have been ill or something as he just did not look into the game at all and was properly substituted by someone who totally did. I can’t help but think that Wednesday nights performance psychologically had its impact and exhausted the mental reserves of some of the players who did not perform well today especially in their passing. I don’t know if it is Dillons confidence or poor kicking ability which causes the ball continually to be given to the opposition but help in this area should be given and he needs to practice every day and every hour. Standout players  today were Williams Gallagher Taylor and all four defenders. . The break now is a good idea and I look forward to Reading  away
  • Options
    Those that know me will appreciate that apart from the play off final I haven't viewed a live Charlton game for some years. With Welling away at Chelmsford ( which both my son and I agreed, is a shit ground) decided on going today to Charlton.
    Proper backs to the wall stuff that shows a great deal of character. 
    That is what is needed when you running a team on a shoestring budget.
    That however could have gone horribly wrong, however a wins a win.
    My son loved it, as did I.
    It was only a year or so ago that when I mentioned a Charlton season ticket, he said "if you like, but I'm going Welling"
    Think today's game has won him over (finally)
    Proper old school (throw yourself at it) defending, which as a non league follower can relate to.
    Fucking great day, and the burgers ain't bad either.
    Tell that useless fat git with the fork (Frank - Half Time) to use it as a gardening tool rather than a 9 iron.
    onwards and upwards
    COYR
  • Options
    Well chuffed with that. 3 points and second in the league get in.

Missed the goal because I have the bladder of a 5 year old!
  • Options
    Very lucky to get away with anything in that game. The ball simply would not stick with Taylor and Leko (who had a poor 45) first half, and in this league they will just come at you time and again. Second attack of the game, in the 41st minute, and we score! The enforced substitution of Oshilaja saw the reshuffle in defence, with Pratley moving back, and that helped fill some of the huge gaps in our defence, and we were better after that, and in the 2nd half.  We did look dangerous going forwards, but it was the back 5 who deserve all the plaudits as they really did win us the game today. Brentford looked good until they got in the box; other team swill not be so forgiving! Let's live the dream while we can, but it's gonna be a long old season!
  • Options
    Only thing that worries me today is we'll face teams MUCH better than Brentford

People on here have said that they'd be second the way they played (If they had a Striker) yet they had a Striker last season and only finished 11th

Based on last season they're effectively the second hardest team we've faced so far

We will face teams who have the Strikers to hurt us, just hope that we'll have the luck this season, or we'll face them when we've had a fresh week rather than quick turn around like today