Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Opposing fans all seem to dislike LB.

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Leeds fans like what he has done for us and already are lining him up to replace Bielsa if he leaves at year end.
    What's the fishing like in Leeds?

Given Leed's current manager makes £6,000,000 per year, even if LB makes a fraction of that, he can fly to Montana to fish on a Gulfstream IV every month in his down time. :D
    Haha, Napa ...... but Bow doesn't need to go to Montana. 

He's got a house and his very own fishing lakes just a few hours away in France.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Leeds fans like what he has done for us and already are lining him up to replace Bielsa if he leaves at year end.

Given Leed's current manager makes £6,000,000 per year, even if LB makes a fraction of that, he can fly to Montana to fish on a Gulfstream IV every month in his down time. :D

He's got a house and his very own fishing lakes just a few hours away in France.
    So you're saying he will be the next PSG manager? :#
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

So you're saying he will be the next PSG manager? :#
    No he can't be arsed with all that .... more likely to just go fishing, Napa.

• Options
    Lee Bowyer comes from the same area as me . I met  him when he was about 22 he had his photo taken with my two kids. I remember asking him if he would come back to charlton .He said yes just to  humour me . 
  • Options
    The other thing is Leeds were prepared to pay 2.8 for him in 1996 (that is 23 years ago).  He has appeared in the Champions league and scored against Barcelona, AC Milan and Anderlecht. He also got to the semi final of the UEFA cup.  Add to that his hard reputation  and evident man management skills.  In short he has been there, done it and got the T shirt.

Can you imagine being a young pro and arguing against him?  ... Nor can I. 

Yep players respect him for his record as a player and they know not to cross him due to his various antics. 

Good combination and means he doesn't need to scream  and shout to get his point across.
  • Options
    With Bows in charge, even if we dont have the most technical players he will assure that each player will not give less than 100%, this alone is a great change to the half hearted dross we have endured over recent years (Sordell, Clarke, Vaz Te, Roger Johnson etc)
    Currently the highest ever win percentage Charlton manager in our history, so glad we kept him
  • Options
    The other thing is Leeds were prepared to pay 2.8 for him in 1996 (that is 23 years ago).  He has appeared in the Champions league and scored against Barcelona, AC Milan and Anderlecht. He also got to the semi final of the UEFA cup.  Add to that his hard reputation  and evident man management skills.  In short he has been there, done it and got the T shirt.

Yep players respect him for his record as a player and they know not to cross him due to his various antics. 

Good combination and means he doesn't need to scream  and shout to get his point across.
    Didnt he threaten to punch Ajose at a match early in his managerial career?
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Source?
  • Options
    I think it all boils down to one thing....jealousy! You only had to watch his post match speech in the dressing room at wembley to see that lee is something special. 90% of football league teams fans would love him as their manager.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

tbf i think a fair few of us have felt like punching Ajose in the past
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "Opposing fans all seem to dislike LB."

This may have already been written, but if that's the case, he must be doing something right.
  • Options
    LB has hide like a rhino and doesn't care a fig about the brickbats and opprobrium he attracts from the twattersphere etc.
    All the while the chattering classless have themselves an easy target, the easier it is for everyone else to get on with their jobs.
    LB's history has its dark patches and there's no getting away from it.
    If he'd turned up at The Valley in the visitors' dugout, he'd have got all that sort of abuse from we addickted, our memories are elephantine on player's and manager's transgressions, be they fact or fiction.
    Currently we Charlton fans have a different bigger nasty toward which we direct most of our ire and frustration, come the day that changes and should the team's on field performance dip, rest assured LB would start getting all that sort of abuse from the stands at The Valley too.  Football fans are fickle, fractious and unforgiving.  Not that LB will give a tinker's, should the going get really tough, he'll fish right off.
  • Options

Like Roy Keane, but not a knob head 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Our best manager since Curbs, I say.  Tougher than Powell, who recruited a raft of dodgy players - Sordell, Church, et al - and ultimately failed at this level.

That's hardly fair on Powell, is it?

That record 101 points League One title winning season, Powell reconstructed virtually the whole team, brought in some very decent players for the level - and integrated them into the best team in the division.

You mention Sordell and Church as your examples of Powell signings ..... but no context of the desperation and frustration of having his budget axed in the pre-season.

Why no reference to other Powell signings Kermorgant, Stephens, Wiggins, Bradley Phillips, Matt Taylor and a host of others who not only won the League title but became the nucleus of the team that the next season finished 9th in the Championship?

And he "ultimately failed at this level" by reaching the FA Cup Quarter Final, a team in the relegation places but having FIVE games in hand over relegation rivals - and having the balls to stand up to Duchatelet undermining his every move.

One of Powell's failings was a defensive mindset that led him to play a lone striker when we were losing regularly in the Championship.  He was sacked - rightly, in my opinion - when we were bottom of the league and following a pitiful Cup exit at the hands of a team in a lower division.

Don't make the mistake of glamorising that Cup run!  We beat Oxford after a replay, Sheffield Wednesday - no team in the Prem.  It was dreary football.

Powell made many mistakes in recruiting players.  Pritchard and Harriott were liabilities.  Many of us have forgotten the raft of loan players Powell brought in who turned out to be turkeys...
    Powell did a great job for us, purchasing a record totaling virtually new team n the back of a £1m sale of Jenkinson. Pritchard was excellent that season, 

The next season, we  finished three points off the Championship play offs and it was clear that a couple of additional signings and we had a great chance. The money stopped and it went the other way. We still had a lot of games in hand when Powell was sacked and he did get us to the quarter finals of the FA cup. 

I agree that like many managers, his in game tactics were cautious. Jack Ross esque. But that is the only fair criticism of him and we stayed up with largely Powell's players so I think your comments are unfair to the point of being outrageous. Would I swap Bowyer for Powell, no. Was Powell an excellent manager for us, yes without any doubt. 
    Agree, although it was 12/13 in the Championship when Pritchard had his best season, becoming a regular in the team and getting into double figures for assists.
  • Options
    True - but goes to show he wasn't a poor signing by any means and Harriot wasn't a signing! There are a few fans, mostly on the other site who have a blind spot when it comes to Powell. I think his match tactics is something you can have a debate over in relation to him managing us, but anything else, well Viewfinder and his pals are just making crap up. It only reflects badly on them.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Gallagher said he joined us, as he has heard about the job LB does with players

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5d5a4665a8fb8/gallagher-buzzing-with-start-to-life-at-the-valley
    To be fair if you're an attacking midfield player, there's definitely worse managers to play under than Bowyer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    True - but goes to show he wasn't a poor signing by any means and Harriot wasn't a signing! There are a few fans, mostly on the other site who have a blind spot when it comes to Powell. I think his match tactics is something you can have a debate over in relation to him managing us, but anything else, well Viewfinder and his pals are just making crap up. It only reflects badly on them.
    Definitely wasn't a poor signing, Powell did very well to get those sort of performances out of Pritchard. Shame he lost confidence, never really looked the same player after that Millwall game when Pigott played.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Some people on this forum can't accept a word of criticism about certain of our former players and managers.  On other players, they have no qualms about heaping the most vile abuse.

Some folk also have extraordinarily low expectations of our players.  Pritchard and Harriott were laughable.  All that possession presented to the opposition!  The physical weakness - routinely being brushed off the ball - and in Harriott's case, comical pratfalls: tripping over his own feet.

Actually, I have the highest regard for Chris Powell as a man of integrity.  But he floundered in the Championship, setting up our team negatively, which invited pressure on a weak defence.  That's a crucial difference between the two managers: Powell had played as defender, Bowyer as a midfielder with an eye for attack.

There is also a difference in character.  Bowyer's rather colourful past has moulded a tougher manager. 

• Options
    Some people on this forum can't accept a word of criticism about certain of our former players and managers.  On other players, they have no qualms about heaping the most vile abuse.

Some folk also have extraordinarily low expectations of our players.  Pritchard and Harriott were laughable.  All that possession presented to the opposition!  The physical weakness - routinely being brushed off the ball - and in Harriott's case, comical pratfalls: tripping over his own feet.

Actually, I have the highest regard for Chris Powell as a man of integrity.  But he floundered in the Championship, setting up our team defensively, which invited pressure on a weak defence.  That's a crucial difference between the two managers: Powell had played as defender, Bowyer as a midfielder with an eye for attack.

There is also a difference in character.  Bowyer's rather colourful past has moulded a tougher manager. 

Yeah, but Powell didn’t have a billionaire owner backing him all the way!
  • Options
    LB and Co , have brought a energy to the club that has been missing for years.
  • Options
    Powell built a more solid defence. That may yet come back to haunt us this season.
  • Options
    Can someone repost Statbank on Harriott and Pritchard. The latter I think struggled as a small guy on the shocking pitch in his last year with us but was close to PotY for me.
  • Options
    Call it having a short memory but for me when Bowyer was first brought in by Robinson not once did I even think about Bowyer's past, reputation etc in some ways i'd actually forgotten about him as he wasn't in football at the time and with that i'd forgotten all about Bowyer's past too when he was brought in.

Doesn't mean I condone what happened in the past but for me all the stuff he did in the past is irrelevant and if fans can't get over that then that's there problem. 

The only thing relevant about Lee Bowyer for me is the fine work he's doing with us now, the past is irrelevant, not even a talking point IMO, very much in credit with me. 
  • Options
    Powell built a more solid defence. That may yet come back to haunt us this season.
    Didn’t he sign Morrison? I’d have him in our defence today! Right up Bowyers street.
  • Options
    It’s not opposing fans I’m bothered about. It’s other teams owners who may see him as better option than their current manager