Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Opposing fans all seem to dislike LB.

Comments

• Options
    In the Top 50th dirtiest players in the world , so no real surprise ! 
  • Options
    I sort of get it. His past is not exactly perfect but he has conducted himself well as far as I can see as a manager. Curbs is seen as the other extreme as he was a creative midfielder but I am sure he could be tough as a manager.
  • Options
    Lee Bowyer expects 100% every game and long may it continue.
  • Options
    If any of those fans were to listen to a Lee Bowyer interview they would probably be quite surprised with how well he comes across, and how mature/intelligent he is. I will admit I was quite taken aback the first time I heard him. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    My theory on Bowyer shows a similarity between Bowyer the player and Bower the manager. Even though both are/were completely different animals. In life, there are people that can find a way, whatever that way is. He wasn't the biggest of players and being a hard, dirty bastard made him a better player. That isn't to say he didn't go too far at times in his younger days, but to be a hard bastard, maybe you really have to be one. You can't be a soft, kind hard bastard. He was a very talented player and if he was a bit soft, there would have been no shortage of opponents bullying him.

Now, the attributes that made him a better player are not helpful as a manager. Bowyer in my view can adapt to what is needed as a manager. We looked at Bowyer the player and assumed he was not suitable to be a manager. He found a way as he is one of those people. It seems an obvious thing, but it is only a minority of people that can do this. It is a Chameleon quality.

I would think he is the right sort of person to be Prime Minister. Again, people would be up in arms if he was, but I reckon he would find a way. It is what he does. He won't be as bullish or open about it as he was in League One, the league is much tougher and we have vulnerabilities caused by our lack of money, but I think the bit of Bowyer that is finding a way is trying to find a way to go up rather than just survive.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    One thing that comes over, is how much his players love playing for him. Williams being a perfect case in point. Bowyer is a winner, and does what is needed to win. All managers will have the same attitude, but some are better than others. We all watch matches our teams are in with bias. I am bemoaning fouls against us and unpunished fouls on us throughout a game but not doing the same for our opponents. They might get the odd and rare begruding admission, that was a foul etc...

Our penalty yesterday was clear cut - certainly not one you could really argue too much about, but I'm sure a fair number of Barnsley fans will feel passionately that it wasn't. We thought the ref was blowing his whistle too much in their favour yesterday, they thought we were dirty. We were both looking at it from our own biased positions. We are not a dirty side. But we are competitive, which is going to be essential this season. If Barnsley fans feel a bit aggrieved about it, with all due respect to them as we are no different, but bloody great.   I hope we go through the season with opposing fans moaning about us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2019
    The interview on Football Focus was very good.

One of the things that he said was not being able to control things that are going on off the pitch. He said "I won't let it effect myself or the players". Which means he's being a strong bulwark between the players and any shenanigans going on upstairs.

They also showed him doing a one-to-one session with a player. (I think it was Bonne, but couldn't really tell, it may have been one of the youngsters.) What's so strange about that? It was after training had finished.

Solly spoke quite eloquently about what he was like...
  • Options
    They can hate him as much as they like, what they can't accuse him of is being two faced.
    It is what it is.
  • Options
    Terrible thing jealousy. Lee Bowyer is a winner and is the best manager we have had since Curbs, he backs his players 100 per cent and fights tooth and nail to win every decision to win that advantage that may give you the points.
    F**k em.
  • Options
    The thing is, Bowyer will be happy the Barnsley fans think that way - it is the way he wants them to think. You don't want them to be happy. I think their manager respected our performance more. As for the ref, he has been criticised by ours for the complete opposite reasons he has been criticised by Barnsley fans. This might suggest, he actually had a decent enough game. 
  • Options
    The longer he is hated by opposition teams - fans the better for us. Why leave Charlton where he is loved and risk going to a club where he might not do well and risk the fans turning on him and bringing up his past. 
  • Options
    Money and another club he has affection for.......like Leeds? I think he will do well anywhere. But he strikes me as somebody who wants to enjoy the challenge and as long as he is doing that here, he will probably stay.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    In a strange way it's nice to be the team that people hate, especially for all the right reasons and not for being thugs like the scum down in Bermondsey.

For too long we were the team that conceded last minute goals, bottling games and falling victim to teams that played the ref and doing the little niggly things that are needed to win games. Most successful teams have an element of 'shithousery' about them. 

I used to be jealous of teams like that, with Shrewsbury's performance in the play offs springing to mind. Bowyer has given us more bite and whilst other fans won't like that, you can be sure that if their teams were to do the same to win a game of football then they wouldn't be complaining.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    If Bowyer hadn’t started at Charlton we would give him the same grief based on his record. 

Before he came in to our management team he was getting grief. I remember numerous games when we came up against him that our fans would be calling him a thug. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    MrOneLung said:
    If Bowyer hadn’t started at Charlton we would give him the same grief based on his record. 

Before he came in to our management team he was getting grief. I remember numerous games when we came up against him that our fans would be calling him a thug. 
    But many of us didn’t. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bowyer has us playing with guts, determination and persistence. Just like he was as a player himself.

Opposition fans have never liked it.
    But they would all be pleased to have him in their midfield. 
  • Options
    Dare I say it but Bowyer's team might even show up against Millwall this season. With him as our manager I'm optimistic.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    TN15 said:
    Dare I say it but Bowyer's team might even show up against Millwall this season. With him as our manager I'm optimistic.
    Agree to a certain extent.....however they (our fellow south London friends) are gonna be absolutely rilled and wound up IF we are up there and doing well.  Doubt whether I'd get a ticket....but I'm bloody tempted to try and get one.
  • Options
    Leeds fans like what he has done for us and already are lining him up to replace Bielsa if he leaves at year end.
    That is absolutely true of some Leeds fans for certain, my general manager is extremely envious of us, and is already talking to various people to get him in. I told him to forget it as he’s Charlton born and bread and loves it here.
    He's his mother's pride.
  • Options
    I wonder how old his critics are and whether they were old enough when he played to know what happened in his career, or only read what happened?
  • Options
    The other thing is Leeds were prepared to pay 2.8 for him in 1996 (that is 23 years ago).  He has appeared in the Champions league and scored against Barcelona, AC Milan and Anderlecht. He also got to the semi final of the UEFA cup.  Add to that his hard reputation  and evident man management skills.  In short he has been there, done it and got the T shirt.

Can you imagine being a young pro and arguing against him?  ... Nor can I. 

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Leeds fans like what he has done for us and already are lining him up to replace Bielsa if he leaves at year end.
    What's the fishing like in Leeds?

Given Leed's current manager makes £6,000,000 per year, even if LB makes a fraction of that, he can fly to Montana to fish on a Gulfstream IV every month in his down time. :D