Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fans Forum - 25th September 2019

Comments

• Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Chizz said:
    Can someone fill in a gap in my understanding?  Is CAST a "part of" CARD?  Or are there merely CAST members who support CARD and its goals?  

If CARD is "officially" a part of CARD, then I would agree with @AFKABartram that it's difficult to see how the club should be expected to welcome official meetings with CAST. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't still take place. 
    I can confirm CARD is officially part of CARD, not sure why you don’t get that really @chizz

Because he is a sealion :-)

out of interest, what does sealioning mean? Never heard that one before

"Sealioning (also spelled sea-lioning and sea lioning) is a type of trolling or harassment which consists of pursuing people with persistent requests for evidence or repeated questions, while maintaining a pretence of civility. It may take the form of "incessant, bad-faith invitations to engage in debate".
    Good to know. 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Just to add, anyone who thinks CARD in general isn’t on amicable terms with club staff at all levels hasn’t been paying attention. Indeed, I’d suggest CARD has a closer and better relationship with staff than Lieven De Turck, Roland Duchatelet or Richard Murray, for a start.

As for why CAST should have a privileged relationship with the club, quite simply because it is a properly constituted legal entity with formal recognition at a national level and a significant membership and which any Charlton fan can join. Unlike, for example, “Swedish Addicks”, which is nothing against fans who are actual Swedes.

Valid point but it would be a "privileged relationship" none the less.
    What’s the alternative? No hierarchy? Any made-up group to be given equivalent status?

Inevitably some groups will or should have more clout than others, because they have more credibility by virtue of their size and structure. The club has no idea who some of the people at the forum currently represent, neither does it care, because it is a box-ticking exercise for them.
    Neither just one group nor a free for all.

As when Peter Varney was CEO properly constituted and active groups.

Agree it is, in part, box ticketing but it provides an opportunity to catch them in their lies IE on the importance of the director loans you quoted the FF minutes.

There are also some mundane issues which are important to some fans as well as @GlassHalfFull listed.

As I said the membership badly needs reviewing. I agree with examples you give as to why.
    Was PV ever chief executive when the FF was in existence? If so it wasn’t the one with properly constituted groups, which I set up in 2010 when Kav was chief executive. We also set some rules. The previous incarnation was a collection of volunteers IIRC.
  • Options
    You're right.

FF was started under PDV as it replaced the elected director but yes it was under Kav we had properly constituted groups.

• Options
    Fanny would be choice as well.

Always talks a lot of sense.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    May I suggest that those who have a real issue with this put their names forward to become Charlton Life rep, we have an election, and that the winning rep reports back to its members ASAP after any meeting. Simples.
    I'll second that.

Back in the day, when the FF was reconstituted during  Kav's tenure as CEO,  I suggested that CL might have a representative as it was/is the largest & best online forum allied to our club.

However, the rules & regs had only recently been laid down, with regular meetings of members & an AGM amongst other stipulations being the criteria for a group's representation.  

It would appear that said rules have been relaxed during recent seasons so I see no reason why THIS group should not put forward the name of a Lifer to represent their views etc. 

2 further points worth noting, are that before KM had made her presence felt at meetings, the minutes were taken by one of the representatives ( most recently, the guy representing the VIPs) , written up &  distributed within 24 hours at the latest. Once she had her feet under the table, KM demanded that said minutes must be agreed by her before publishing....

Secondly, an unwritten "rule" was that what went on behind the closed doors of the meeting should NOT be made public until they had been overseen by KM except to members of the relevant groups that were represented....This was unlikely anyway when the turnover was around 24 hours anyway & would have meant that reps would write up/cascade information to their members straight after the meetings- highly unlikely IMO.

However, there was an occasion around 3 years ago when everyone was waiting with bated breath for news of a meeting & becoming very agitated when nothing was forthcoming after several days, so I took the decision to "leak" a couple of pertinent issues on here ( what did I have to lose ?) and was roundly castigated by a certain member of East Kent Addicks .....I had already decided that, as the meetings had become a  complete farce by then, I would stand down as NWKA rep - I had better things to do than to see a certain person's smirking face across the table. 

At least all concerned are now spared that horror. 
    "Despicable human being" is that John Commerford.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    May I suggest that those who have a real issue with this put their names forward to become Charlton Life rep, we have an election, and that the winning rep reports back to its members ASAP after any meeting. Simples.
    I'll second that.

Back in the day, when the FF was reconstituted during  Kav's tenure as CEO,  I suggested that CL might have a representative as it was/is the largest & best online forum allied to our club.

However, the rules & regs had only recently been laid down, with regular meetings of members & an AGM amongst other stipulations being the criteria for a group's representation.  

It would appear that said rules have been relaxed during recent seasons so I see no reason why THIS group should not put forward the name of a Lifer to represent their views etc. 

2 further points worth noting, are that before KM had made her presence felt at meetings, the minutes were taken by one of the representatives ( most recently, the guy representing the VIPs) , written up &  distributed within 24 hours at the latest. Once she had her feet under the table, KM demanded that said minutes must be agreed by her before publishing....

Secondly, an unwritten "rule" was that what went on behind the closed doors of the meeting should NOT be made public until they had been overseen by KM except to members of the relevant groups that were represented....This was unlikely anyway when the turnover was around 24 hours anyway & would have meant that reps would write up/cascade information to their members straight after the meetings- highly unlikely IMO.

However, there was an occasion around 3 years ago when everyone was waiting with bated breath for news of a meeting & becoming very agitated when nothing was forthcoming after several days, so I took the decision to "leak" a couple of pertinent issues on here ( what did I have to lose ?) and was roundly castigated by a certain member of East Kent Addicks .....I had already decided that, as the meetings had become a  complete farce by then, I would stand down as NWKA rep - I had better things to do than to see a certain person's smirking face across the table. 

At least all concerned are now spared that horror. 
    "Despicable human being" is that John Commerford.
    I couldn't possibly say.....

:-)
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

Thanks, guys, but I've done my bit & now that we live a good 75 minutes'  drive away, Mr F would have to bring me, hang around for a couple of hours and then drive me home. Not ideal.

Plenty of excellent candidates on here - perhaps we should draw up a shortlist ?  
  • Options
    edited September 2019

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry I’ll try not to be unintentionally cryptic in future. What I meant to say was there was no takeover news of note or worth mentioning.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Rudders22 said:
    What a meeting. 
    Agreed.

Branson was the last person I was expecting to see.
    Was he in a pickle?
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

Thanks, guys, but I've done my bit & now that we live a good 75 minutes'  drive away, Mr F would have to bring me, hang around for a couple of hours and then drive me home. Not ideal.

Plenty of excellent candidates on here - perhaps we should draw up a shortlist ?  
    Very understandable Fanny. 

I hope a few are interested.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I post Forum stuff on here including starting threads (as do others like Ben) and when there is actual urgent takeover news I make every effort to get it out quickly.

There is a grey area but my approach has been to pick up some of the missing info if it’s relevant after the statement.

Operational stuff I think it’s more appropriate that people can wait for the minutes which I’ve pushed repeatedly to be done more quickly, but there are limits to what I can do.

Anyway if the consensus is that isn’t enough or the right thing to do I won’t post forum stuff on here.
  • Options
    I vote for Fanny. Unfortunate line but you know what I mean.
    I’d like to put my name forward for consideration. So that’s Dick, Fanny at Charlton ... I’ll get me coat
  • Options
    razil said:
    Sorry I’ll try not to be unintentionally cryptic in future. What I meant to say was there was no takeover news of note or worth mentioning.

don't worry, any normal person knew exactly what you meant
  • Options
    razil said:
    I post Forum stuff on here including starting threads (as do others like Ben) and when there is actual urgent takeover news I make every effort to get it out quickly.

There is a grey area but my approach has been to pick up some of the missing info if it’s relevant after the statement.

Operational stuff I think it’s more appropriate that people can wait for the minutes which I’ve pushed repeatedly to be done more quickly, but there are limits to what I can do.

Anyway if the consensus is that isn’t enough or the right thing to do I won’t post forum stuff on here.
    Please don’t take my post as in anyway critical of you. Indeed I made my suggestion in part as a challenge to those who criticise and yet do not give up their time as you and others do, but may have something to bring to the fans forum. I think the phrase is put up or 🤐; and partly because I think this forum should be represented formally.

Your comments are always welcome and appreciated by me, and no doubt others, so thank you.

• Options
    Addickted said:
    Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

That narrows it down a bit.

Either @AFKABartram or @ElfsborgAddick
    Like most people @AFKABartram looks up to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just a short comment from someone (the only one) who has been a member of the Fans Forum since it was set up in its present form by Rick some 10 years ago. Most of what is discussed is routine operational stuff which is really very unexciting as can be seen when it eventually appears in the minutes. Travel problems, the catering arrangements and yes, even potholes, are the sort of topics that take up most of the evening. Fanny's melodramatic recollections about life under Katrine are far from the present reality.

Tom has chaired the meetings perfectly well for some time but their is an ongoing debate as to whether the chairman should be a supporter rather than a member of the club. The meeting this week took three hours and was taped. Tom will write up the minutes which will be approved by a couple of the supporters present before they are made public. This is not a five minute job and Tom apologised in advance if his task takes longer than usual, there being three matches over the next week. Nothing will be censored and nothing was the slightest bit controversial

It is only the desire for news of the takeover that really interests everyone and frankly there was very little to report. The group which contains Australians are still around but nothing is happening. I suggested to Lieven that they were not a serious proposition and he replied that  he had thought them close to completing the deal in the days after Wembley, but it has all gone quiet again and he has no idea whether they are still serious. There have been four recent enquiries from potential new buyers, but they are all at a very early stage, so my view is that nothing is likely to happen for some time yet.

Sorry there is not much there for conspiracy theorists, but the majority of the proceedings are routine and extremely unexciting. A couple of random supporters were invited to attend but neither one showed up. If you would like to attend the next meeting, contact Tom 
    (Thumbs up emoticon)
  • Options
    👍👍👍
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Just a short comment from someone (the only one) who has been a member of the Fans Forum since it was set up in its present form by Rick some 10 years ago. Most of what is discussed is routine operational stuff which is really very unexciting as can be seen when it eventually appears in the minutes. Travel problems, the catering arrangements and yes, even potholes, are the sort of topics that take up most of the evening. Fanny's melodramatic recollections about life under Katrine are far from the present reality.

Tom has chaired the meetings perfectly well for some time but their is an ongoing debate as to whether the chairman should be a supporter rather than a member of the club. The meeting this week took three hours and was taped. Tom will write up the minutes which will be approved by a couple of the supporters present before they are made public. This is not a five minute job and Tom apologised in advance if his task takes longer than usual, there being three matches over the next week. Nothing will be censored and nothing was the slightest bit controversial

It is only the desire for news of the takeover that really interests everyone and frankly there was very little to report. The group which contains Australians are still around but nothing is happening. I suggested to Lieven that they were not a serious proposition and he replied that  he had thought them close to completing the deal in the days after Wembley, but it has all gone quiet again and he has no idea whether they are still serious. There have been four recent enquiries from potential new buyers, but they are all at a very early stage, so my view is that nothing is likely to happen for some time yet.

Sorry there is not much there for conspiracy theorists, but the majority of the proceedings are routine and extremely unexciting. A couple of random supporters were invited to attend but neither one showed up. If you would like to attend the next meeting, contact Tom 
    Thanks for that Ian, much appreciated. What I don’t understand is that if it was taped, even only audibly, why not just put that out on the Club’s website? It would save Tom a hell of a lot of trouble.
  • Options
    Sealioning - every days a school day.

Fanny getting grief from another supporter back in the day? Don’t ever introduce him to me, he won’t forget it. I loves her and won’t apologise for it.

Fans forum? Still a waste of everyone’s time whilst Douchbag runs the show.