Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jonny Williams - now at Gillingham (p47)

Comments

• Options
    Bogle spreading negative vibes! 

• Options
    Sorry to see him go, I expect he will do very well with Csrdiff.
  • Options
    Interesting if we got a fee for Williams. Perhaps contradicts the narrative being pushed by some that Bowyer just wanted him off the wage bill. I wonder if there was room under the cap to keep him and sign Jaiyesimi. That would’ve been great if we could’ve done that. Or perhaps he’s being allowed to make a move he wanted to, football at a higher level with a manager he knows and likely good for his international career.

Good riddance to Maddison but Jonny leaves with my very best wishes. He frustrated at times but also had some fantastic games for us. Second half vs Luton in 2019 (one of our best performances, in general, for years), Wembley and a handful of matches in the Championship where he looked potential Premiership quality. The wheels first started to wobble last season when he got injured before they fell off completely when Gallagher was recalled. Sadly he’s never rediscovered that form, I genuinely hope he does at Cardiff.
  • Options
    All the best JW.
  • Options
    Sad to see Jonny go as he was such a great character and a player that had the ability to change a game, like he did at Wembley. But he'd become increasingly marginalised and it was obvious the Bowyer didn't really consider him a key player for us. With his contract expiring it is probably the right move for all parties.

Good luck Jonny. You'll be fondly remembered here at CAFC.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    A very nice bloke who was hugely popular here, although I would say mostly for reasons other than his performances. The move is best for all involved, he hasn't played well consistently for a very long time and we need fitter, stronger players who can compete more regularly. He probably needs a fresh start with a manager who believes in him. 

edit - Also want to add it's good business for the club to recoup a fee for a player whose contract is running out soon.
  • Options
    Good luck in the future Jonny.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wish him the very best of luck. Decent player and a decent person.  
  • Options
    Sorry to see him go but don’t think he is a league one player. Some peoples skills translate well into the lower leagues and his do not. On a good day, agree that in the championship he looked premiership class on occasions. When he played with some confidence to run at the opposition normally from fairly central he causes all sort of problems, has very quick feet and can roll a player, hope he finds that again at Cardiff and good luck to him. 
  • Options
    The best of luck Jonny
    THANKS
  • Options
    Can't do anything but wish Jonny the best of luck. Always enjoyed watching him play and a genuine nice bloke as well. Will never forget how he changed the game at Wembley. Hope he is reading all these messages to see how much he was loved by the vast majority of Charlton fans.
  • Options
    Good luck Johnny enjoyed watching you.  I hope you have a great career at Cardiff with Mick and Dillon.
  • Options
    As much as I felt it was Jonny's time to go, it is bittersweet. During what was an awful time at the club (on and off the pitch) Jonny has been a reminder of what is good about football and in particular footballers. His genuinely lovely demeanor has always made him likeable. Jonny will always be remembered fondly at SE7. He goes with goodwill from everyone. A player that will always be a Wembley hero. Legend, maybe not, loved, absolutely. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Dig at your old boss Omar?
    I reckon it’s more to do with Bogle having played at Cardiff and know what it’s like there.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Dazzler21 said:

Dig at your old boss Omar?
    I reckon it’s more to do with Bogle having played at Cardiff and know what it’s like there.
    And he's played here and knows the manager didn't love him properly.

Is how it reads.

Not saying Bogle's right btw.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Must be a different player. That one has hair & no beard.
  • Options
    Wish him all the best, seemed a genuine nice chap, players come, players go it’s football. Agree he helped turn the momentum at Wembley so nothing but fond memories of him.
  • Options
    Duped in to clicking on a Palace link. I feel dirty.
    Should have known it was dodgy as it's a bing link
  • Options
    Best of luck to him, was a part of the play off final win so will always be remembered for one of the greatest days out in our history. 
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Might have missed it through my tear-filled eyes but how long is Cardiff contract?
    End of the season

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/cardiff-city-confirm-jonny-williams-19748392
    Til the end of the season is a risk for Johnny if he picks up an injury or doesn live up to expectations. 

Think its a bargain myself at 200k but doubt we wouldve signed him again in the summer. Good luck Johnny :"(
    Sky said free transfer. 
    Cawley reported it as a 6 figure sum.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    MattF said:
    Might have missed it through my tear-filled eyes but how long is Cardiff contract?
    End of the season

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/cardiff-city-confirm-jonny-williams-19748392
    Til the end of the season is a risk for Johnny if he picks up an injury or doesn live up to expectations. 

Think its a bargain myself at 200k but doubt we wouldve signed him again in the summer. Good luck Johnny :"(
    Sky said free transfer. 
    Cawley reported it as a 6 figure sum.
    £99.99 1/2p
  • Options
    Good luck to a good bloke - without whom the playoff final might have been quite different, longer certainly
    Easy decision for him, his involvement at Charlton was on a steep slide, he'd only be playing regularly if we hit another injury crisis (!)  avoiding serious injury hadn't done much for his ability to retain match fitness had it?
    Was McCarthy at Sunderland for one of JW's spells there?
    With the best will in the world I'll be astonished (delighted too) if JW features much at all in the league above.
    Getting a fee for him is excellent and indicative of the loony finances of Championship football.
  • Options
    Good luck Johnny... def my favourite player over last few years so gutted he’s gone. 100% feel he will fly at Cardiff given a set position, role and game time.
  • Options
    Genuinly sorry to see him go. 2nd leg play off final came on late made a difference, then had a great contribution to our play-off final win. Also some great games in the Championship season until his injury.
    With him and Lee Bowyer signing for our Championship season was the main reason for me getting my old season ticket back after boycotting the Duchatelet years. Hope he does well for Mick M at Cardiff (probably a manager who appreciates his skill). Sadly he took a lot of criticism on the 'other site' from the so called football know-alls!