Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jonny Williams - now at Gillingham (p47)

Comments

• Options
    If he can do it for those Welsh wankers, why can't he do it for us? Tosser.
    He can. For me he is a top half Championship player. He should be one of the first names on the team sheet and he will start doing it because he is on a different level to the players he is playing against. 
  • Options
    Would definitely start him on Saturday, see if he can carry some confidence and momentum through from his half an hour tonight. 
  • Options
    Definitely reckon he should be starting

Had he started for Wales today then I'd be saying the unpopular option of bench him and start him against Blackpool

We saw what happened against Derby when he played from the beginning so quickly in consecutive games

As it is he's only had about 20-mins action today so should be perfectly refreshed for the Wigan game
  • Options
    Definitely wasn't the finish you'd expect from someone with 4 goals in 10 years!
  • Options
    Really want to see him start. We've got the squad to go back to Bowyers diamond or the back 3 with the AM slot for Williams. 

Probably get 10 minutes at the end replacing Maddison out wide though. 
  • Options
    He and Neco have assisted each other for late winners twice recently now. Maybe Neco can teach Gunter a thing or two ;)
  • Options
    I have to be honest and say Bowyer can't take the credit for that. But he can build on that and as you say, start Williams on Saturday and for the next game and the next game, injury permitting. I am still irritated that Vennings started above Williams against Sunderland in all honesty.

It isn't fair on Vennings. He could turn out to be a very tidy player, but he isn't ready yet. He doesn't affect games at this level yet. It is something Williams can do.
    It's funny how different managers see things. Jonny coming off the bench and scoring for Wales from an advanced position, Levitt coming off the bench in all 3 games and Matt Smith starting the last 2 matches for Wales!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WHAddick said:
    I reckon he'll score on Saturday now
    Don’t be daft, he played tonight, won’t be fit for another appearance for at least 10 days.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Over the moon for Jonny. So nice to see so many players, ex players, and staff so happy for him too. 

The finish is top drawer and something I am sure Bow has been working on with him in training for ages, so he’ll be pleased as well as probably thinking, finally!

Should do his confidence the world of good and that’s only a good thing for us.

Sometimes, having players go away on international duty is important. It can bring them back a much better and happier player. That environment and excitement of representing their country can act as momentum for future performances. Let’s hope that’s exactly what happens with Jonny.
    Not saying I disagree with you but do you ever say anything negative about anyone?

Johnny has been a pro for ten years now, and played for loads of managers.  Some really good ones at that.  I am sure Bowyer isn't the first or only one to say "maybe get in the box more?" or try shooting once in a while?

Are you really giving "Bow" the credit for that? 
  • Options
    Proper strikers goal, that one. Terrific technique and timing.

• Options
    WTF have I just seen on the ITV highlights show?!

I had to rewind and watch it again just to be sure it was "our" Williams that had scored!
  • Options
    I reckon lump on him to score next game. And cover that with a bet on him to get injured.

You just know one of those two events will happen.
  • Options
    He’ll get injured scoring an og 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    His confidence has been badly knocked recently due to poor performance and being dropped from the starting XI. We all know he’s a player that relies on confidence to perform at his best.

Scoring his first international goal means we are likely to see Jonny at close to his best when he returns to SE7.

I agree with those now calling for him to start on Saturday. Play him in an advanced position and let him unlock a stubborn League One defence.
  • Options
    His confidence has been badly knocked recently due to poor performance and being dropped from the starting XI. We all know he’s a player that relies on confidence to perform at his best.

Scoring his first international goal means we are likely to see Jonny at close to his best when he returns to SE7.

I agree with those now calling for him to start on Saturday. Play him in an advanced position and let him unlock a stubborn League One defence.

Alternatively, he comes back and his head drops. He's played over 90 mins across 2 games in a week, starting one and scoring in the other for Wales. Saturday he could be back to the bench and coming on and having no impact from a wide a position leading to more criticism from Bowyer. Essentially, he may feel happier playing for Wales than for us right now. 

I get why Bowyer will openly pick apart a player in post match but not every player will react the same. Given Jonny's injury past and needing that reassurance, this approach might not be best suited to "give him a kick up the arse" 

With Williams it's not about managing his ability, it's managing the person. Hopefully, Bow's can get him back to his best for us as he's head and shoulders above in this league on his day.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would say that Giggs may be able to take some credit.
  • Options
    Loving the smile on Jonny's face after his Wales goal.  What a finish and will have done wonders for his confidence - surely LB has to start him on Saturday. Super Jonny Williams.
  • Options

Wigan’s defence isn’t that bloody stubborn TBF! 
  • Options
    What an infectious smile he has! Love to see him perform like that for Charlton.
  • Options
    You wait 963 days for a goal, and then just like buses...
  • Options
    You see the bus skip your stop and you have to wait 963 more days.
  • Options
    Love a bit of speculation of formations so, if Williams can come on as a sub like last night in a forward position it might be interesting to see a 4-4-2 diamond of:

Amos
    Gunter - Inniss - Famewo - Purrington
    Watson
    Levitt - - - - - Doughty
    Maddison
    Bogle - Williams

or 4-3-3

Amos
    Gunter - Inniss - Famewo - Purrington
    Levitt - Watson - Maddison
    Aneke - Bogle - Williams

• Options
    You realise you left your mask at home AGAIN and now you have to walk all the way and it's chucking it down raining and you're obviously not covid positive so surely they could just use some common sense when the weather is this bad...

I mean. Hypothetically. I would never do such a thing. Ever. Obviously.
  • Options
    I hadn't realised he had been asked to play as a False 9 for Wales!

Watching the highlights, he was nearly on the end of a chance a few minutes earlier. Great to see him charging into the box, as so often in recent games for us he's been hopelessly deep