Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jonny Williams - now at Gillingham (p47)

Comments

• Options
    It's frustrating, as when he first joined us from Palace he looked sharp and dangerous, but he's clearly gone backwards.

It's not just the fans digging him out, as Bowyer has said much the same and more importantly since Lockdown has barely picked him to start a match. Even the ITV commentator last night mentioned that he's out of favour!
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    dickplumb said:
    I just don't get the love in for Williams. Lots of other players have done better than Williams and been roundly criticised.
    I don’t get those saying Williams only draws fouls and does nothing else either.

The truth is somewhere in between. We need a better team so we can have more possession and therefore get the ball to our attacking players like Williams, Doughty and Maddison in dangerous areas more often.

Williams main weaknesses are his fitness, he rarely plays 90 minutes, and being an attacking player who doesn’t score goals. If those were strengths he wouldn’t be playing for us.

Assists rely on having players who take the chances you create. At the start of last season he got several assists. When he first joined in League 1 I don’t think he got any, but he definitely created chances that should have been taken. He can’t be blamed for that.

He’s proven he can be effective for us but he does need to step up and offer more than he has recently. He’ll have a better chance of that if we bring in a couple of good strikers and the last few signings needed elsewhere.
    Pretty big weaknesses for a professional footballer who plays as an attacker though!

But yes overall i agree with what you're saying, he will likely perform better and create more in a better team. If you're on the back foot away in the championship he's not going to do much, in a decent attacking side he should step up.
  • Options
    Without reading back, I’d like to say I thought he had a good game last night......I can only remember him making one misplaced pass.
  • Options
    Without reading back, I’d like to say I thought he had a good game last night......I can only remember him making one misplaced pass.
    On the other hand I don't remember him actually doing much either. He was busy enough but didn't seem to present much danger.
    Obviously he was up against a much higher class of player but it was the Williams dichotomy - looks good, keeps possession and draws fouls but with very little in the way of actual end product.
  • Options

i'd start him in centre mid all day long - too many water carriers / passers in the team - vennings and levitt shouldn't be anywhere near in comparison - get him, doughty and Maddison going at teams and sign a decent striker and we will start to look something - i know we need to defend as well but last week, the way we set up to start, it was virtually impossible to attack.   
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

i'd start him in centre mid all day long - too many water carriers / passers in the team - vennings and levitt shouldn't be anywhere near in comparison - get him, doughty and Maddison going at teams and sign a decent striker and we will start to look something - i know we need to defend as well but last week, the way we set up to start, it was virtually impossible to attack.   
    I am glad that you aren’t the Manager. You need a selection of artists and artisans. Too many of either and it doesn’t work.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:
    DOUCHER said:

I am glad that you aren’t the Manager. You need a selection of artists and artisans. Too many of either and it doesn’t work.

So is the popular belief - the right balance is of course wanted but i think those 3 can play and we still will have that - you need a workhorse up top (marquis say), you have Maddison and doughty either side then you have williams, Watson and say gilbey in the middle. once williams engine blows up you put aneke or someone on. If you aren't asking questions going forwards, you have no chance. Didn't get my level 1 coaching badge for nothing!!! 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Lovely bloke, flatters to deceive, does well in job of drawing fouls has an eye for a pass and is tricky.

Not much else to his game, hence Bowyer trying to add to his game.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Lovely bloke, flatters to deceive, does well in job of drawing fouls has an eye for a pass and is tricky.

Which is why Maddison signing is significant. A player with a similar style and position but considerably better statistics (at the current level at least) might give Williams a kick up the arse if he wants to keep his place.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Which is why Maddison signing is significant. A player with a similar style and position but considerably better statistics (at the current level at least) might give Williams a kick up the arse if he wants to keep his place.

He doesn't have the pace and power to play on the wing but has the other attributes - he can draw 2 or 3 players to him, do a shimmy etc but then needs to lay it off to the forwards / wingers who can 'gallop' - he says himself he wants to play in the middle and i can see why.   
  • Options
    dickplumb said:
    DOUCHER said:

You do, but how many artists did we have on Saturday.  Certainly not too many. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    a year ago i remember he was on top of his game, we had a home match and he was unplayable - he got injured in that game - he has it in him to do it  
    He does, which is what makes it more frustrating that he's not doing it very often. Not entirely his fault as he can only do so much on his own but I don't think I'm alone in feeling he is capable of more than he's managed to date.
  • Options
    We've been having the same conversation about him for ages - hasn't really delivered.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    RC_CAFC said:
    PopIcon said:
    Williams had a good game today. Drew a fair dumber of fouls, was tidy and set up some of Wales' best attacks (admittedly not many of them). He should be starting for us.
    Drew a fair number of fouls? Our Williams? How about doing something useful and creating some chances? Perhaps a goal is asking too much?
    I don’t quite get the thread that drawing fouls isn’t creating chances. Drawing fouls gives teams the chance to get balls into the box and score goals. The only problem is, we haven’t had the players to do this decently recently. Hopefully with Maddison we can start putting in decent crosses!

i really hope Williams can start improving again now we’re signing better players and kick on from here because he really should be starting in a league 1 team with his talent. (Totally agree with Bowyer that he hasn’t been showing that enough recently and is justifiably not been playing as much)
    Set pieces are a major way of scoring goals for many teams. Also, it unsettles opponents in that it can stop them getting a flow. There is no way for me, outside of fitness, you don't start Williams in League One.
  • Options
    Balance on the ball! See! He's pretty on the eye, nobody is denying that.

Did he stand on the ball at some point?!
  • Options
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/wales-player-ratings-vs-england-19075133

Jonny Williams 5
    Another who started brightly, but unable to open up the England defence and faded as the game wore on. Replaced in the closing quarter and can be expected to stand down for Aaron Ramsey for Sunday's UEFA Nations League game with Ireland.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/wales-player-ratings-vs-england-19075133

Jonny Williams 5
    Another who started brightly, but unable to open up the England defence and faded as the game wore on. Replaced in the closing quarter and can be expected to stand down for Aaron Ramsey for Sunday's UEFA Nations League game with Ireland.
    Good, then he will not get injured, but keeps training
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Jonny Williams 5
    Good, then he will not get injured, but keeps training
    Unless he gets injured in training 
  • Options
    Only 27.....I thought he was 34/35. 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Only 27.....I thought he was 34/35. 

That's because Jonny's got his head on upside down.

• Options
    Surprised he did not get a championship team come in with an offer. They let you play a little more there.
  • Options
    Hes gonna get sharper for the break👍🏽👍🏽
  • Options
    There is not one League One side that wouldn't have him if they could. Nuff said as Stan Lee would put it.
  • Options
    MattF said:
    If you didn’t think of Carl Harris when you read “Welsh Wizard” you must be under 45 years old 
  • Options

Jonny Williams 5
    My god a league 1 player who isn't better than Juventus's Aaron Ramsey?!?!  That's journalism of the finest quality.

Anyone judging the suitability of a player based on that game, can you remind me which league 1 team Kalvin Phillips and Harry Winks play for, I must have missed that news.