Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Open 2019

Comments

• Options

Some low scores still, I got on JB Holmes this morning when he was 2 clear at 14/1, win only £10 on. Now just gone 2 clear again and coming in, bit odd he is not in the top 3 for betting when he is playing so well. Assuming as he hasn't won a major before? looks like he is playing very well so might stay there.

Others: Koepka, Reed both doing ok. Noren yet to tee off today so it could be bad news with the expected weather. Poulter pretty dead I assume from yesterdays, but hopefully a couple of sweats with the others.

• Options
    I think Woods played better when he was shagging all the waitresses & hotel staff.   Needs to get out there again.....
  • Options
    If you were Rory, would you bother going out this afternoon. He's not going to even make the cut & will be a very frustrating 5 hours  knowing you're playing for literally nothing. I think I'd dq myself or cry off with an  injury .
  • Options
    If you were Rory, would you bother going out this afternoon. He's not going to even make the cut & will be a very frustrating 5 hours  knowing you're playing for literally nothing. I think I'd dq myself or cry off with an  injury .

Yesterday I would have said no instantly, however Woods started similar, recovered some and a few chances. Commentators are saying that its playing quite easy at present so if it stays like it can he get -8, possibly? unlikely yes, but if there is a chance he should do. I am sure he would regardless otherwise his attitude would be questioned.

Re: Woods, you know he has come back from pretty much out of it. Yesterday was an awful round he is doing ok today, based on his recent win I am sure he will still be there abouts. Like Rory one bad major wont make him a bad player overnight, Speith seems to be coming back into form, shame I had him first round leader and not to win e/w

• Options

A Northern Irishman playing in the Open in his home country and for the first time it's been there in 60 odd years - yes he would bother. He is a professional.  
  • Options
    fans pay to see these players a home crowd aswell for rory i am sure he will remain the professional as he is he was v unlucky yesterday
  • Options
    Perhaps he thought it was a stableford, still got 31 points!
  • Options
    Perhaps he thought it was a stableford, still got 31 points!
    That's the beauty of stableford.  2 bad holes doesn't ruin your round. 

My comment about Rory was a bit tongue in cheek. Of course he should go out & compete......just knowing a lot of us amateurs wouldn't bother. 
  • Options
    I think his sponsors would have a say if he goes out and plays or not as well.  
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Just on train back to Belfast. Bit of a mixed day. Saw some good golf though birdies few and far between. It's quite packed up the top of the board. Stenson missed a couple of easy birdie opps or he'd be right in the mix. Rosey looking good. All to play for.

As an event, found it fell a bit short compared to Scottish ones I've been to. The course kind of zigzags so it's a bit confusing and you often have to wait to cross fairways to get anywhere. It was very, very busy and grandstands quite small. Took half an hour to get a lunchtime pint which is v poor imo! Going again on Sunday but a bit concerned at finding a decent vantage point for the closing stages. Think we'd need to grab a grandstand seat hours in advance and manage without drinks and calls of nature. Previous Open experiences have been much more relaxing. The R&A will be making a fortune from this and have known for a year it was a sellout so a shame they couldnt have put a bit more effort into spectator facilities.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just on train back to Belfast. Bit of a mixed day. Saw some good golf though birdies few and far between. It's quite packed up the top of the board. Stenson missed a couple of easy birdie opps or he'd be right in the mix. Rosey looking good. All to play for.

As an event, found it fell a bit short compared to Scottish ones I've been to. The course kind of zigzags so it's a bit confusing and you often have to wait to cross fairways to get anywhere. It was very, very busy and grandstands quite small. Took half an hour to get a lunchtime pint which is v poor imo! Going again on Sunday but a bit concerned at finding a decent vantage point for the closing stages. Think we'd need to grab a grandstand seat hours in advance and manage without drinks and calls of nature. Previous Open experiences have been much more relaxing. The R&A will be making a fortune from this and have known for a year it was a sellout so a shame they couldnt have put a bit more effort into spectator facilities.
    I remember going as a young lad to Troon with my dad. Think it was 1973 - Tom Weiskopf won.  Dad was gasping for a beer and we found what we thought was a drinks tent and tucked in but couldn’t work out how to pay. Turns out we were in a corporate hospitality tent. It was my first experience of blagging it aged 9!!
  • Options
    And another thing as I sit watching the highlights. Is it just me or are the stands round the 18th much smaller than they used to be?  I thought the same when I visited St George’s in 2011 which was my first open since I was a lad in the 70s and 80s. I seem to remember the stands at Troon and Turnberry being colossal great things but these today only look about  15 or 20 rows deep. Maybe just my memories playing tricks or maybe some modern health and safety thing to do with temporary erections (oo err missus). 
  • Options
    My wife's cousin's wife's brother's* son is Tom Lewis's caddy. Used to carry for Hatton. 

*Really not sure about all these apostrophes and happy to be corrected, just thinking "possession". 

Lewis made the cut. 
  • Options
    Woods in tomorrows penultimate group.

That's Fleetwood and Westwood! 
  • Options
    Loved the comment by Lee Westwood about his caddy ........who is also his wife.

He gave her a divot to replace & he saw her gingerly holding it as she walked back to whence it came. Asking why she was being so delicate with it she replied saying that she hoped there wasn't a worm in it......
  • Options
    Riviera said:
    My wife's cousin's wife's brother's* son is Tom Lewis's caddy. Used to carry for Hatton. 

*Really not sure about all these apostrophes and happy to be corrected, just thinking "possession". 

Lewis made the cut. 
    He's an excellent golfer himself and competed with Hatton at junior level before he broke a bone during an arm wrestle 
  • Options
    Would love to see Fleetwood win or failing that a UK or Irish winner. Interesting to see if Westwood stays in the hunt.
  • Options
    I don't understand why sometimes a golfer is good and sometimes bad.

All you do is smash a ball as hard as you can until it falls into a hole.

Rory could do it in 61 on the same course when he was 16 years old, but somehow the same task seems to tough for him as an adult. 
    Do you play golf?
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Lewis made the cut. 
    He's an excellent golfer himself and competed with Hatton at junior level before he broke a bone during an arm wrestle 
    With Tommy Fleetwood! 
  • Options
    Riviera said:
    Riviera said:

Lewis made the cut. 
    With Tommy Fleetwood! 
    I thought it was Hatton
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:
    Riviera said:

Lewis made the cut. 
    With Tommy Fleetwood! 
    I thought it was Hatton
    No, Fleetwood.
  • Options

Rory could do it in 61 on the same course when he was 16 years old, but somehow the same task seems to tough for him as an adult. 
    Do you play golf?
    Does crazy golf count? 
    Not really. Golf is a strange sport in than if you're not in the right frame of mind you can be the best player in the world yet post a terrible score . For McIlroy to go from 79 to 65 over the course of two days just proves the point.
  • Options
    Lowry playing out his skin.

Westwood still can’t putt.
  • Options
    Suddenly become a bit one-sided. Lowry's to lose now.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Not heard Sky say that the tee times are being moved forward tomorrow because of weather. Think it's 1.47 Lowry will go out. Will still be windy and fairly wet but it looks like a monsoon later. I'd like to have seen that. 
  • Options

Do you play golf?
    Does crazy golf count? 
    Not really. Golf is a strange sport in than if you're not in the right frame of mind you can be the best player in the world yet post a terrible score . For McIlroy to go from 79 to 65 over the course of two days just proves the point.
    You must need the right mindset to do running, but Usain Bolt doesn't suddenly take 2  minutes to run 100 metres. 
    I think you've made it clear you don't understand the mental side of golf otherwise you wouldn't be comparing it to the 100m.
  • Options
    Very much Lowry's to lose at 16 under now.