Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Open 2019

Comments

• Options
    Saw the documentary about the course last night. Interesting 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    with it being held in kent next year has anyone ever been before, i was looking at doing day 3 but £95 seems lumpy
    Went to St Georges in 2003 when Ben Curtis won and Thomas Bjorn imploded! Did days 3 and 4 - the first day walking the course and the final day parked ourselves very early in the free grandstand to the left of the 18th green. Had to wait a while before we saw any golf but it was worth it.

We parked about 2 miles from the course and very efficient shuttle services were running. Very well organised and would recommend.
  • Options
    cheers @bobmunro
  • Options
    It is a lot but it's a full day out and there aren't many sports where you can see all the world's best in one day. 

MotoGP has crept up to those prices, God knows how much F1 costs, or Wimbledon. I'd say do it, St George's is good for viewing too. Lots of mounds and dunes. 
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    It is a lot but it's a full day out and there aren't many sports where you can see all the world's best in one day. 

MotoGP has crept up to those prices, God knows how much F1 costs, or Wimbledon. I'd say do it, St George's is good for viewing too. Lots of mounds and dunes. 
    when put like that it isn't too bad the only sporting events that are reasonable are darts at ally pally although with beer on top its a lot, football outside the prem. 

f1 is ridic money cheapest tickets are around 250/300 and you see a car for a split second 
  • Options
    @palarsehater what Bobmunro suggested is vg advice, pick a group to follow not too famous mind as you'll be scrambling to see at ground level and walk the course in the morning. Plot up in a stand covering a few holes on the back nine, take some provisions, wet proofs, binoculars and then watch all the groups come through in the afternoon..
  • Options
    with it being held in kent next year has anyone ever been before, i was looking at doing day 3 but £95 seems lumpy

I think me and my mates might be going next year, but never been before personally. They did do it before when it was the same place, bit like anything now doubt there is going to be a cheap option.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Went to St Georges in 2003 when Ben Curtis won and Thomas Bjorn imploded! Did days 3 and 4 - the first day walking the course and the final day parked ourselves very early in the free grandstand to the left of the 18th green. Had to wait a while before we saw any golf but it was worth it.

We parked about 2 miles from the course and very efficient shuttle services were running. Very well organised and would recommend.
    I was there for that, although young at the time! We were sat right next to the bunker on 16 on the last day so had a great view of Thomas Bjorn's meltdown!
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Went to the practice day at St. George’s in 2011. Visited several opens when I was young. I lived in Ayrshire so Troon and Turnberry very close. It was much cheaper then in comparison to today’s prices.  I’m afraid I’m well past the point where I’m prepared to stump up a ton to see relatively little. I’d recommend the practice days which are cheaper and less manic though you are taking your chances with regard to which stars turn up. Players generally a bit more communicative with spectators in practice days too.  If you want a great day out watching golf go to the US Open qualifier at Walton Heath every year. It’s free, there are no ropes so you can, within reason, wander right next to the players. There are generally a few big names there too. Westwood, Harrington, Pieters etc are regulars. I walked a few holes with Wallace last year and found his ball for him in the Heather. The seniors PGA at the London Club in a couple of weeks is also worth going to. It’s a tenner to get in and it’s relatively easy to get up close and personal. Some big names playing like Monty and Van De Velde. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Went to watch the Open at Carnoustie in 1975 - it was an amazing watch as a kid and got to watch a lot of the big names with very small crowds. Remember following Jack Nicklaus and being stunned at being so close up.
  • Options
    We're going on Friday and Sunday. Mr W, a Northern Irishman, wouldn't miss it for the world. I love going to the Open in Scotland. Bought tickets a year ago as guessed it might sell out.

It is going to be a massive event - probably largest crowds ever in the island of Ireland outside of a papal visit. I do hope the R&A have got themselves organised.

More so, than the Ryder Cup in 2006? 
    Can’t believe it’s 13 years ago!
  • Options
    McIlroy having a 'mare!!!
  • Options
    Think Mcilroy just went from 15/2 to 500/1 in the space of the first hole. Absolute shocker. 
  • Options
    mcilroy to miss the cut would of been the bet of the tournament 

@bobmunro what sort of price would that of been?
  • Options
    haha Brilliant. 

C'mon Pepperell.
  • Options

Surely only about 4/1? didn't fancy him to win , although still early enough he could. A lot of people were tipping him but he seems to have too much pressure and to win on home soil would only make it worse. I don't mind Rory, but I did laugh equivalent to how I was the other day so it gives me hope :)
  • Options
    On Brookes, Hoffman, Day all e/w
  • Options
    We're going on Friday and Sunday. Mr W, a Northern Irishman, wouldn't miss it for the world. I love going to the Open in Scotland. Bought tickets a year ago as guessed it might sell out.

It is going to be a massive event - probably largest crowds ever in the island of Ireland outside of a papal visit. I do hope the R&A have got themselves organised.

I was there for that one.  Was out on the course when the rain started to lash down. Hadn’t gone in waterproofs, so we headed back to the massive temporary shop they had erected for the event.  Everything from umbrellas to caps had gone. Managed to pick up a short-sleeve waterproof top, which helped a little.  

Got absolutely drenched, rain stopped and the sun came out just enough to dry out...then the rains lashed down again!!  

We did manage to get onto the grandstand at the 16th (I think).  Friend I was with was then like a giddy schoolgirl for the rest of the day as she was sat next to Kian from Westlife, or maybe Boyzone, who knows!! 

Wouldnt change anything though.  I know it was expensive, but it was a brilliant day and well worth it to see some of the world’s best close up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think Mcilroy just went from 15/2 to 500/1 in the space of the first hole. Absolute shocker. 
    is this on the exchanges as 30/1 at William Hill
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I think it was a joke MrOL ...
  • Options
    McIlroy 2nd last at the moment at +5.  9 off the lead. 
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

I was there for that one.  Was out on the course when the rain started to lash down. Hadn’t gone in waterproofs, so we headed back to the massive temporary shop they had erected for the event.  Everything from umbrellas to caps had gone. Managed to pick up a short-sleeve waterproof top, which helped a little.  

Got absolutely drenched, rain stopped and the sun came out just enough to dry out...then the rains lashed down again!!  

A normal weather day in Ireland.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I think it was a joke MrOL ...
    Correctamundo 👍
  • Options
    Getting worse for McIlroy  Just hit his tee shot on the short par 4 5th hole. Going for the green in one he's deep in the rough......problem is the Marshall's were looking for Paul Casey's ball at the time & none of the saw it in flight let alone land. 3 off the tee I fear. 
  • Options
    Getting worse for McIlroy  Just hit his tee shot on the short par 4 5th hole. Going for the green in one he's deep in the rough......problem is the Marshall's were looking for Paul Casey's ball at the time & none of the saw it in flight let alone land. 3 off the tee I fear. 
    Might as well pretend he's injured and go home. It's not far.
  • Options
    How did he manage to find that ball in clear sight amongst all that cabbage?  A bit of crowd assistance or just a stroke of luck?
  • Options
    How did he manage to find that ball in clear sight amongst all that cabbage?  A bit of crowd assistance or just a stroke of luck?
    Ah. Just been revealed that he got a “line of sight” free drop due to a scoreboard in his line. Jammy beggar. 
  • Options

5/1 I believe.