Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Open 2019

Comments

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    mcilroy to miss the cut would of been the bet of the tournament 

@bobmunro what sort of price would that of been?

5/1 I believe.

About right, my mate said he looked and was 6/1 but he didn't feel was big enough. He is a bit gutted now though lol
  • Options
    David Duval just shot a 15 (FIFTEEN) at the Par 5 7th.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    mcilroy to miss the cut would of been the bet of the tournament 

@bobmunro what sort of price would that of been?

5/1 I believe.

About right, my mate said he looked and was 6/1 but he didn't feel was big enough. He is a bit gutted now though lol

My youngest sent me a screen shot of a bet slip he completed - Clarke to make the cut (2/1) and Rory to miss the cut (5/1) - double.

He didn't put it on!!!

• Options
    Getting worse for McIlroy  Just hit his tee shot on the short par 4 5th hole. Going for the green in one he's deep in the rough......problem is the Marshall's were looking for Paul Casey's ball at the time & none of the saw it in flight let alone land. 3 off the tee I fear. 
    How did he manage to find that ball in clear sight amongst all that cabbage?  A bit of crowd assistance or just a stroke of luck?
    Ah. Just been revealed that he got a “line of sight” free drop due to a scoreboard in his line. Jammy beggar. 
           Like Speith did at Birkdale. I'd love to play a course when there are dedicated spotters & hundreds of spectators willing to help you look for your ball & then TV towers, scoreboard & grandstands all helping you getting drops away from the deep stuff & into a much better lie.
  • Options
    David Duval, him of the record 59  has just hit a 13 !!   And that followed a quadruple bogey & a single bogey.. 

And McIlroy has just got a birdie. Now only +4
  • Options
    The Open app has now changed it to a 13. 
  • Options
    The Open app has now changed it to a 13. 
    I think the scorer probably lost count in the end.
  • Options
    McIlroy just 3 putted 17 from about three feet. Heads gone. Missed cut coming up. 
  • Options
    Far too casual from Rory there.
  • Options
    Don’t think I’d like to be Mrs Rory or the Rory pet dog when he gets home tonight. Not going to be a happy bunny. May not be great company. All that anticipation of an open on home soil. To bugger it up on the first hole must have been heartbreaking. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Its been one of those days for Rory. since the 5th he's had 3 or 4 putts that have shaved the hole & on another day he'd be back to level par, Then on one hole he drops 2 and goes back to +5.

That's golf in a nutshell.

• Options
    David Duval birdied the first 2 holes..........and still shot 90!!

NINETY!!

• Options
    Rory then triple bogey's the 18th. He end on +8 and currently 4th last. 
  • Options
    Koepka looking ominously good yet again.
  • Options
    David Duval birdied the first 2 holes..........and still shot 90!!

NINETY!!

I would be confident of beating that.

The back nine looks tougher though!

• Options
    philcafc said:

It’s ridiculous. I like Koepka a lot these days, this was posted on another forum and I totally buy it:

So a guilty pleasure of mine is following Jena (Brooks’ girlfriend) on Instagram and I’ve started to notice a trend. She goes to a ton of weddings and Brooks is ALWAYS playing in an event that week and shes always solo. Hell, he gave a best man speech over Facetime because he was playing in the CJ Cup in Korea (no appearance fee). I think he picks his events based on when there’s a wedding on the schedule.

He completely seems the sort, he’s 29 and has been to 1 wedding ever apparently. What a guy.

• Options
    bobmunro said:

Sergio Garcia and (as always) Louis Oosthuizen. Both each-way.

Sneaking feeling for Jon Rahm but no real value.

Not a bad first day!!

PlayerTotThruR1Strokes
    1IrelandLowry4 under par-4finishedF67676767
    1United StatesKoepka4 under par-41515no score-no score-
    3SpainGarcia3 under par-3finishedF68686868
    3SwedenNoren3 under par-3finishedF68686868
    3ScotlandMacIntyre3 under par-3finishedF68686868
    3South AfricaFrittelli3 under par-3finishedF68686868
    3ThailandAphibarnrat3 under par-3finishedF68686868
    3United StatesSimpson3 under par-3finishedF68686868
    3EnglandHatton3 under par-31616no score-no score-
    3South AfricaOosthuizen3 under par-31515no score
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    philcafc said:

It’s ridiculous. I like Koepka a lot these days, this was posted on another forum and I totally buy it:

So a guilty pleasure of mine is following Jena (Brooks’ girlfriend) on Instagram and I’ve started to notice a trend. She goes to a ton of weddings and Brooks is ALWAYS playing in an event that week and shes always solo. Hell, he gave a best man speech over Facetime because he was playing in the CJ Cup in Korea (no appearance fee). I think he picks his events based on when there’s a wedding on the schedule.

He completely seems the sort, he’s 29 and has been to 1 wedding ever apparently. What a guy.

Sounds a load of bull, tbh. He would play in a lot of events naturally
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Backed Lowry this morning @16s. Could do with a few days of Irish weather.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    All quite tight at the top of the board. Some old, some new. Come on, Justin! (No, sorry, not you @Justin20474!)

Lee Westwood an outside bet?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Backed Lowry this morning @16s. Could do with a few days of Irish weather.
    Backed him a couple of weeks ago at 50/1. 
  • Options
    Some early day 2 musings 

1. WTAF is Van Rooyen wearing?????
    2. First hours coverage has been full of filler stuff. Virtually no interesting golf. 
    3. Dame Laura is a surprisingly lacklustre commentator. Expected more insight from her. 
    4.  As yesterday an annoying habit from Sky showing an onscreen leaderboard that shows a player as a certain number under/over par. Two minutes later we see the allegedly live putt that gets him to the score we already know he’s achieved. 

All a bit meh so far. Brooks coming up shortly to liven things up 

• Options
    stuck the golf on this morning while having a cup of tea, expecting to see the early groups and all they spoke about was Rory and showed his shit shots. Why do we want to see that??? Show some live golf ffs.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Yeah it's not been worth waking up for. More adverts than shots until recently. 

I don't think Davies watches much men's golf as she called JB (the pace car) Holmes 'fast and no nonsense'. I hope he's not in contention if it really gets gusty. 
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    philcafc said:

Given that most weddings are likely to be at a weekend, which is also when golf events are, this surely isn't that surprising?
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    philcafc said:

Given that most weddings are likely to be at a weekend, which is also when golf events are, this surely isn't that surprising?

Then when he's not playing he's not at a wedding. The evidence is there, it's only a theory but I think it fits as he's the kind of guy who hides in toilets to get slow players put on the clock. He's a maverick.

• Options
    Some early day 2 musings 

2. First hours coverage has been full of filler stuff. Virtually no interesting golf. 
    3. Dame Laura is a surprisingly lacklustre commentator. Expected more insight from her. 
    4.  As yesterday an annoying habit from Sky showing an onscreen leaderboard that shows a player as a certain number under/over par. Two minutes later we see the allegedly live putt that gets him to the score we already know he’s achieved. 

With you on points 3 & 4. Especially 4. I usually love Sky but because of advert breaks they miss some of the action. Rory at the 18th yesterday is a case in point. Didnt see him tee off & first thing we see is him in the middle of the fairway playing his 4th shot. I thought when they first got the contract they said it was going to be uninterrupted coverage - now they are even popping over to the SkyZone during play!!!

However, point 2.....Sky cant help the way the draw is fashioned. The BIG names arent going to be going out at 6.40am. 
  • Options

I put some EW on Johnson(40/1) and Noren(50/1)

Looks pretty wide open today, but they both have the potential 2 get a charge going. Very hard to pick from the front runners, obviously I still have Koepka, Reed and Poulter (cough)

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Some early day 2 musings 

With you on points 3 & 4. Especially 4. I usually love Sky but because of advert breaks they miss some of the action. Rory at the 18th yesterday is a case in point. Didnt see him tee off & first thing we see is him in the middle of the fairway playing his 4th shot. I thought when they first got the contract they said it was going to be uninterrupted coverage - now they are even popping over to the SkyZone during play!!!

However, point 2.....Sky cant help the way the draw is fashioned. The BIG names arent going to be going out at 6.40am. 
    Indeed. Yesterday was only interesting because Clarke went out and smashed the first few holes. For some reason though it all feels a bit lacklustre this year. I’m normally glued to the first day and have been known not to move from the sofa for 12 hours other than for calls of nature. I got bored yesterday. apart from the Rory meltdown nothing much happened. Tiger wasn’t a story as he’s clearly neither fit nor interested but we still saw almost every shot he hit when there was good golf going on elsewhere. And Sky seem to me to be trying a bit too hard. We’ve got Iona whatever her name is showing us tourist attractions and some bloke doing the 150 yard challenge with a hurling stick. The virtual reality swing analysis is ok but when Nick D starts the “we’ll just send Henrik back into the course now” bollox I begin to boak in my tea (Scottish expression).  Maybe it’s just me being in a grumpy mood. I’m playing later today and would normally be itching to watch the telly when the Open is in but I’m quite glad I’m getting out tbh. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Some serious scoring going on this morning. Think it's meant to be torrential rain later though so those out this morning in with a very good chance