Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Amos - gone to Wigan, leaving message p9

Comments

• Options
    I wonder if the lack of serious competition for his place is a part of it. His position as No. 1 keeper feels like it's safe no matter what happens and perhaps a bit of complacency creeping in?
  • Options
    Really dominant in the air/our box but doesn't seem the same keeper as we had 3 years ago or so.
    I was puzzled why he barely played at Millwall after being so good for us, but can understand it more now. That second goal was a shocker really
    It looked like it had swerved and the way Amos ‘dad-danced’ on the line just as the ball went past him seemed to confirm that. Those shots don’t get saved.
  • Options
    Time to give AMB a go? Keep hearing good things about him.
  • Options
    I think he is not up to the Championship and if we go up we need a better keeper. He has let in too many 'worldies' from distance and obviously has a weakness that other sides are onto. You can really appreciate how good Dillon was now Amos has had a long run in the side. If we can't make play offs I'd like to see Maynard Brewer given a chance.
  • Options
    Keep him for now, stability and all that.

Replace in Summer. No idea which keepers are available, but we could do worse than trying AMB.
  • Options
    should he go to specsavers? :)

• Options
    GK, one of many positions we need to fill in Summer
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree it was a shocking error. It's from 25-yards, bouncing low, and in the centre of the goal... And it's gone in. When do you ever see that? Shocking.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    The ball definitely did not get deflected last night. It may have swerved a bit but not very much. Amos went to the left, the ball went in the centre of the goal. It was a long range shot and he had plenty of time to track it and get in position. It was a shocking mistake.
    Exactly, his footwork was all over the place and as a result his balance was wrong, meaning he wasn't able to move back to his right and save the shot
  • Options
    He seems to get beaten from distance with alarming regularity.
  • Options
    Also Amos spills a lot of balls that bounce just in front of him. Been lucky so far that the ball has always gone to one of our players, but unless this fault is corrected it will lead soft goals.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I'm afraid Ben filled in when Dillon left, he was number 2 up till then, and he does seem to get beaten far too easily from distance, very much need a proper number 1 next year
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

I've thought Amos was unlucky with many of the worldies, but last night's was a shocker.
    He has to be partly to blame as he has been beaten so often.
    I've been seriously wondering for a few weeks whether he needs an eye test.
    Maybe he's short sighted and doesn't even realise it?
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    I wonder if the lack of serious competition for his place is a part of it. His position as No. 1 keeper feels like it's safe no matter what happens and perhaps a bit of complacency creeping in?
    I think this 100%!!  we defo need to bring in another top keeper next season to at least push him if not replace him as no doubt he feels too comfortable and that wont be bringing out the best in him
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

I've thought Amos was unlucky with many of the worldies, but last night's was a shocker.
    He has to be partly to blame as he has been beaten so often.
    I've been seriously wondering for a few weeks whether he needs an eye test.
    Maybe he's short sighted and doesn't even realise it?
    This was also the view of some Bolton fans before he joined us. 
  • Options
    I think some of the worldies wouldn’t have been so with a better keeper.
    Exactly this.
    They were only called worldies because they hit the back of the net.
    Phillips would have saved several of those in my opinion. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If we've gone the whole season with AMB as backup, surely that means that we think he's good enough to step in as our number 1, and he deserves a chance.

If we don't think he's good enough, we should have signed another keeper
  • Options
    I've had my doubts on Amos for a while, think the Rochdale 'worldie' game was the one that changed my view on his this season. He's never done it beyond League 1, think we'll upgrade this summer
  • Options
    Sometimes he's a bit like the kid who throws himself about in the goal but isn't actually very good, and if he'd just stood still he would have made it look a fairly routine save.
  • Options
    As an aside, with the new gaffer taking over, I wonder what Adkins thinks about Amos and indeed Marshall, seeing how Amos seems to have gone backwards this season, and has a clear technical flaw which hasn't been resolved.
  • Options
    Interestingly the stats for "leaving his line" (which he seems to be getting accused of never doing) are as follows for league 1 this season

Amos - 85 times
    Palmer (Lincoln) - 73
    Cooper (Plymouth) 67
    Holy (Ipswich) - 61
    Maxwell (Blackpool) - 56

Amos ranks 4th in the "leaving the line per game" at an average of 2.17 times per game behind Lon (Hull) 2.87, Arnold (Northampton) 2.53 and Balcombe (Donny)  2.39

He is 3rd for "Saves made" in total but 14th for "Saves per 90 minutes".  In the overall rankings in Wyscout for Goalkeepers at this level he is the 14th best keeper overall

Boring stats I know but the perception that he is rooted to his line is not accurate.  Sadly Wyscout don't have a stat for "Goals conceded from long range"

In summary - I would like us to sign a new keeper next season.  Partly for a bit of competition for Amos if he's here - but also to push MAynard-Brewer on
  • Options
    In 3 goals time Amos will have conceded as many goals as he did in 17/18.
  • Options
    We'll finish the season like Sasa Ilic, was it 10 clean sheets in a row?
  • Options
    Reminds me a bit of Rob Elliott. Decent all round keeper but longer range shots are a real problem for him. If there's a better keeper available next season it would be good to replace him, but if there isn't he's decent enough
  • Options
    Ben has been poor this season as was Dillion spilling stuff at the end of last season. 
    Certainly not the keeper of a few years ago 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Interestingly the stats for "leaving his line" (which he seems to be getting accused of never doing) are as follows for league 1 this season

Amos - 85 times
    Palmer (Lincoln) - 73
    Cooper (Plymouth) 67
    Holy (Ipswich) - 61
    Maxwell (Blackpool) - 56

Amos ranks 4th in the "leaving the line per game" at an average of 2.17 times per game behind Lon (Hull) 2.87, Arnold (Northampton) 2.53 and Balcombe (Donny)  2.39

He is 3rd for "Saves made" in total but 14th for "Saves per 90 minutes".  In the overall rankings in Wyscout for Goalkeepers at this level he is the 14th best keeper overall

Boring stats I know but the perception that he is rooted to his line is not accurate.  Sadly Wyscout don't have a stat for "Goals conceded from long range"

In summary - I would like us to sign a new keeper next season.  Partly for a bit of competition for Amos if he's here - but also to push MAynard-Brewer on
    I thought everyone agrees that leaving his line and collecting crosses is his best attribute.
    It's letting in 25/30/35 yard shots most games that is the issue.