Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Amos - gone to Wigan, leaving message p9

Comments

• Options
    Good news, competition for positions is exactly what we need.

Also allows for a terrible joke:-

What do you call a Charlton Goalkeeper in the capital of Ecuador?
    A-mosquito

(I'll see myself out)
  • Options
    I see that the option of a second year is in his favour ie if he wants to stay.
  • Options
    Good news, competition for positions is exactly what we need.

Also allows for a terrible joke:-

What do you call a Charlton Goalkeeper in the capital of Ecuador?
    A-mosquito

(I'll see myself out)
    Sorry but that's gnat very good
  • Options
    I hope that last season at the wronguns has not tainted him.
  • Options
    Up until the Daggers game - I would have definitely said that the number 1 keeper should stay as Phillips.  Then watching them both I just thought Amos looked so much more confident and commanding in the area.  Think it will be a close call.,,
  • Options
    He couldn't stand the scum
    so he's back as number one.
    He’s ok. Nothing special. Surprised so many of you are getting so excited by this signing. I’d say L1 is his level. Just my opinion.  
    You can have him back next season then!
  • Options
    I have little doubt that Amos is the better keeper, but I think it's fair that Phillips starts and it's his to lose.
  • Options
    Does anyone know why Ben Amos isnt on the bench at matches as our reserve keeper
  • Options
    Does anyone know why Ben Amos isnt on the bench at matches as our reserve keeper

he's injured
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Broken finger
  • Options
    One year Extension 
  • Options
    Amos was excellent in goal, more than able replacement if Philips does leave 
  • Options
    Happy with that. A very good goal keeper. Great back up if Dillon stays, a ready made #1 if he goes.
  • Options
    I'd imagine he'll be our new number 1 next season.
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    Happy with that. A very good goal keeper. Great back up if Dillon stays, a ready made #1 if he goes.
    Yes, I wonder if the latter will turn out to be the case.
  • Options
    I am struggling to name two better goal keepers in league 1 than Amos and Phillips. Kind of expecting this contract extension will lead to Phillips leaving. At least we won’t be hunting around for a loan keeper this year.
    Amos will be a decent mentor for Maynard-Brewer as well who you'd expect to be No.2 next season if Dillon did leave
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I imagine Phillips will be leaving now Amos has extended his contract. More than capable number 1 in league one. No complaints from me
  • Options
    Blimey - what a surprisingly positive last 24 hours for us.
  • Options
    I am struggling to name two better goal keepers in league 1 than Amos and Phillips. Kind of expecting this contract extension will lead to Phillips leaving. At least we won’t be hunting around for a loan keeper this year.
    Amos will be a decent mentor for Maynard-Brewer as well who you'd expect to be No.2 next season if Dillon did leave
    It’s funny how all football fans read into things and we are guilty of it. For example, JFC & Williams are taking their extension because no one else will take a risk on them in current environment. Amos didn’t play a match last year but he’s only been given a contract to replace Phillips.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    It’s funny how all football fans read into things and we are guilty of it. For example, JFC & Williams are taking their extension because no one else will take a risk on them in current environment. Amos didn’t play a match last year but he’s only been given a contract to replace Phillips.
    Nope we've not offered Amos anything this year.

The extension was put forward to Ben when given his contract last year, its his own choice to take it up

These decisions from JFC | Williams | Amos could actually be pissing off ESI as wouldnt be surprised if they'd be praying that all three would leave and so bring down the wage bill

ESI of course could yet choose to sell all three
  • Options
    Happy with this. To be honest, even without all our issues, you have to expect to lose players when you get relegated. Under normal circumstances, I'd accept selling someone like Phillips to raise funds for a promotional campaign. Amos is a very good keeper at League 1 level. 
    With regards to the players staying it feels a bit like the relegation after 98/99 when it was only Mills who wanted to go
  • Options

The extension was put forward to Ben when given his contract last year, its his own choice to take it up

These decisions from JFC | Williams | Amos could actually be pissing off ESI as wouldnt be surprised if they'd be praying that all three would leave and so bring down the wage bill

Very unlikely that anyone would pay much if anything for JFC or Williams with their injury records recently in current circumstances (which is also probably why they triggered the extensions.) Only Amos is even potentially worth much of a fee and even then it's not likely to be huge.

• Options
    thenewbie said:

Very unlikely that anyone would pay much if anything for JFC or Williams with their injury records recently in current circumstances (which is also probably why they triggered the extensions.) Only Amos is even potentially worth much of a fee and even then it's not likely to be huge.

Couple of thousand more into the pockets of PE and CF rather than a couple of thousand out to each player though