Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ben Amos - gone to Wigan, leaving message p9

Comments

• Welcome back, Ben. Fills a gap and we have two good keepers to call upon 
  • Talal said:

Hmmm. Once again I am a bit "meh" about this. Said back in January when we got Maxwell in that it was a waste of a wage. Even more so this season. When our playing budget is so tight I think another keeper atm is not a high priority. Also sends the wrong message to not only Phillips but Maynard-Brewer too.

Not sure on the rules on emergency goalkeepers, but even if that has been tightened recently whats wrong in waiting until deadline day.

I was right about Maxwell back in January......or perhaps the thought is that Amos can play up front seeing as we only have 2 strikers at the moment !!

Knew you'd be spouting the same drivel over this.
    Great signing, welcome back Ben. 
            Was I wrong in January....???  How many minutes did Maxwell play  ??  How many goals did our last gasp replacement for Grant get ..??

I'll give you the answer. O. For both. 
  • Excellent stuff
  • How did Agent Amos play in the 12 games for Millwall ?

Not well I hope as careless hands Martin even played when Archer was Injured.

Amos was excellent for Cafc before.
    Amos and Phillips are equal in my book now.
    But Dillion has the shirt and Ben needs to be ready if called upon for injury or form reasons.

Great signing.
  • Interesting signing. 
  • Good signing- was superb last time.  
  • Fantastic signing. Fantastic goalie - the last time he played for us he was one of the best goalies i have ever seen at the Valley. Strange how he seems to have 'struggled' at the Spanners.

Only down side is personally i see Ben being no 1 and Dillon being being pushed to the bench - which based on the progress Dillon made last season to be a bit harsh - but still, a brilliant signing.

• Sponsored links:

• edited July 2019
    It could've been a lot worse if we'd had to throw Maynard Brewer in at the deep end. It's just a shame agent Amos never completed his mission to sink the Spanners in the deep end  >:).
  • He couldn't stand the scum
    so he's back as number one.
    He’s ok. Nothing special. Surprised so many of you are getting so excited by this signing. I’d say L1 is his level. Just my opinion.  
  • edited July 2019
    Loving Bowllenko’s work
    Good signing 
  • Great signing....he will be NO1 from the off. Dillon will learn from him.
  • he's the best keeper we've had since Carson, great signing.
  • Was choked when he left after his loan spell. Was hoping we would sign him. Was even more gutted when he pitched up at the scum. Glad it didn’t work out there. Welcome home Ben. 
  • edited July 2019
    He couldn't stand the scum
    He’s ok. Nothing special. Surprised so many of you are getting so excited by this signing. I’d say L1 is his level. Just my opinion.  
    Sometimes it just clicks at certain clubs for certain players. Amos was one of our stand out performers the season before last and so I welcome him back.

Do I want him starting ahead of Dillon? No I think the no.1 shirt has been earned. But I think Ben will push Dillon to go on to even better things.

I also think don’t think we could ask for two better keepers to have on the books given our current situation. This is the first time we won’t have to waste a loan space on a keeper since we had Henderson & Pope.
    Yeah fair point. Harris only ever really done it at Millwall as a player and would probably be the same as a manager. 
  • Sponsored links:

• It could have been worse. You could have signed Jordan Archer.
    As the two acceptable reps of the spanners, are you saying that all 3 of your keepers last season were bang average. After seeing Martin fumble the last minute goal in that cup tie last season it's sounds like it to me ?

When under pressure in the championship its harder for keepers not to let in goals if playing for low budget sides like Cafc and Millwall.

Both Phillips and Amos will find it tougher than in League 1 where some strikers can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.
    The hard working Parker and another ex striker Novak springs to mind.
    (They couldn't when playing for Cafc !)

• Really chuffed hes come home. Bowyer doesnt do timewasting squad players (cant afford to how thin it is). Really liked Bens attitude and will be a great support/guidance to bring on and develop Phillips into a top keeper. 
  • Happy with this. Knows the club, good pass with Dil, and played well for us the year he was here and will push Phillips for 1st team spot. 
  • It could have been worse. You could have signed Jordan Archer.
    As the two acceptable reps of the spanners, are you saying that all 3 of your keepers last season were bang average. After seeing Martin fumble the last minute goal in that cup tie last season it's sounds like it to me ?

When under pressure in the championship its harder for keepers not to let in goals if playing for low budget sides like Cafc and Millwall.

Both Phillips and Amos will find it tougher than in League 1 where some strikers can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.
    The hard working Parker and another ex striker Novak springs to mind.
    (They couldn't when playing for Cafc !)

I would say that, for us, Amos was bang average. Archer was calamitous to the point that it wouldn't surprise me if he signed for Zippos before next season. Martin, however, seemed to be a decent keeper. Yes he made that mistake against Brighton but he came out straight away (no cryptic 'look at me' nonsense either :) ) and owned the mistake and learned from it. It was a shame to see him go but reckon we've got a better keeper now in Fielding.

• edited July 2019
    Talal said:

Hmmm. Once again I am a bit "meh" about this. Said back in January when we got Maxwell in that it was a waste of a wage. Even more so this season. When our playing budget is so tight I think another keeper atm is not a high priority. Also sends the wrong message to not only Phillips but Maynard-Brewer too.

Not sure on the rules on emergency goalkeepers, but even if that has been tightened recently whats wrong in waiting until deadline day.

I was right about Maxwell back in January......or perhaps the thought is that Amos can play up front seeing as we only have 2 strikers at the moment !!

Was I wrong in January....???  How many minutes did Maxwell play  ??  How many goals did our last gasp replacement for Grant get ..??

I don't think you understand the concept of having a decent back up keeper.

If you were the manager, would you seriously go into the season with AMB as number 2. What would you do if Phillips picked up an injury or a suspension? Not only would we then have to play a keeper with no league experience (which admittedly could be the making of him), but we'd also then have an even younger, less experienced keeper on the bench. In fact, i don't even know who (before Amos signed) our number 3 keeper is.

It's a no brainer to have 2 decent keepers.
  • Talal said:

I don't think you understand the concept of having a decent back up keeper.

If you were the manager, would you seriously go into the season with AMB as number 2. What would you do if Phillips picked up an injury or a suspension? Not only would we then have to play a keeper with no league experience (which admittedly could be the making of him), but we'd also then have an even younger, less experienced keeper on the bench. In fact, i don't even know who (before Amos signed) our number 3 keeper is.

It's a no brainer to have 2 decent keepers.
    Agreed.
  • With Ben Amos back at Charlton here are his stats from the 2017/18 Charlton Life Statbank:

Played - 48

MoM - 9

Top 3 rating - 13

Average mark - 6.71 (team ave 6.42)

Ranking of players who played 25+ games - 4th out of 10

• With Ben Amos back at Charlton here are his stats from the 2017/18 Charlton Life Statbank:

Played - 48

MoM - 9

Top 3 rating - 13

Average mark - 6.71 (team ave 6.42)

Ranking of players who played 25+ games - 4th out of 10

AMB would have done better ….
  • great singing to push Dillion and see if he can raise to the challenge. 

At least we don't have to waste a loan on a GK and even worse back up Gk liek maxwell. 
    Nah! I think Dillon should still be leading the CAFC Twist and Shout choir
  • welcome back Ben
    Good luck with displacing Dill from the No.1 jersey - you'll need it!