Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ben Amos - gone to Wigan, leaving message p9

Comments

• people seeming to overlook the one he spilt last night that could easily have lead to a goal
    I doubt many keepers would have held that and he pounced on the rebound like lightning.
    I thought it was very good keeping.
  • They are both very good keepers I don't feel the need to discuss who is or isn't better, especially as there isn't an answer to that.
  • A very very decent keeper. We are lucky to have him.
  • people seeming to overlook the one he spilt last night that could easily have lead to a goal
    People overlooking it because he was also the quickest to get to the loose ball, was great goalkeeping. 
  • We've been blessed with decent keepers down the years, but then there do seem to be a number of good ones out there considering that 3 seasons running we had a loan keeper as our No 1, something only broken when Steer was recalled.
  • Amos was mustard when he was with us on loan and still is mustard now. Hardest position on the field... no need to compare to Phillips, both good keeper. Amos will earn us points this year for sure!
  • ross1 said:
    Got to love Ryan Inniss trying to duck out of the camera shot at the end there
  • ross1 said:
    Just watched on Valley Pass and you can hear Ryan geeing the boys up as they enter the pitch 👊

pretty sure Amos made a great save with his feet but there wasn’t any footage of it in the video 🤷‍♂️
  • Well done with the L1 Player of the Month. Rather than the gong, the more impressive feat of 6 clean sheets in the month.
  • Sponsored links:

• I’m starting to think that too - while I don’t blame him for bad results he does little to impress me. When we went up two years ago Phillips grabbed his chance and was making a difference.

With the salary cap gone it should mean we’re able to have two senior keepers and loan AMB out, will be interesting to see how he does. Loan spells were an important part of Pope, Elliot and Randolph’s development.
  • He commands his area better than Phillips ever did, but he's not quite the shot stopper. 
  • edited February 2021
    Chunes said:
    He commands his area better than Phillips ever did, but he's not quite the shot stopper. 
    Every half decent shot seems to go straight past Amos. It's like when Phillips took his position. He had the same issue, it seems to have returned.

Edit:
    Or was it Steer he took over from? Either way I remember Amos struggling with range shots when he was last here.
  • After a good start this season,  just like us , he’s become a bit nothingy and chuff 
    jog him on I’m sick of mediocrity and third tier wank 
  • He is so slow and reluctant to come off his line, like a modern day keeper should. Its like he's glued inside his 6 yard box. 

I thought his saving grace was shot stopping abilities, but the stats above say otherwise. 

Strong at claiming the ball through bodies and catching. Still, part of a very frustrating set-up this season.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Most of the goals he has conceded in this bad patch have been wordlies or where he has been shafted by the defenders. Amos is the least of our problems.
  • The vast majority of games he's not doing anything especially wrong, but he's not pulling off the blinding saves either. I can't think of too many games where he's done anything amazing, the sort of saves that have opposition players in despair.
  • I do think some goals could be saved. Seems like Amos sticks an arm up but doesn't really do much more than that when saving. 
  • Mmmmh he really has tailed off. Like JFC, he looks the part in his approach to the game but a better goalie really would have saved some "worldies" that he has let in! Remember with worldies like Lee's strike, if a keeper has a clear view of the ball from 20/30 yards, they generally manage to keep it out.

Can anybody research or dig out some stats as to how many Amos has conceded from outside the box this season?
  • Most of the goals he has conceded in this bad patch have been wordlies or where he has been shafted by the defenders. Amos is the least of our problems.
    Agreed. What chance have you got with carthorse’s like Pearce in front of you?
  • Sadly, their 2nd goal showed his real weakness at shots from distance. 

No worldy. No deflection. Poor. 2 very good saves in the games so am not saying all bad.
  • edited March 2021
    mendonca said:
    Sadly, their 2nd goal showed his real weakness at shots from distance. 

No worldy. No deflection. Poor. 2 very good saves in the games so am not saying all bad.
    Close range you fancy him to save. I’d like to be fly on the wall in training and see how much they’re concentrating on testing him with long distance shots, as it’s happened too much this season. Even with the fact our midfield and defence have allowed too many long shots to happen, he doesn’t save many of them (obviously not including the few worldies that have gone in).
  • Amos is massively in credit for me. 
    Quality keeper who has saved our bacon on numerous occasions.
  • Really dominant in the air/our box but doesn't seem the same keeper as we had 3 years ago or so.
  • Really dominant in the air/our box but doesn't seem the same keeper as we had 3 years ago or so.
    I was puzzled why he barely played at Millwall after being so good for us, but can understand it more now. That second goal was a shocker really