Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jason Pearce signs a contract extension (to 2021)

Comments

• Pleased with that. Every team needs a strong leader and that’s what Pearce is. I liked the way he was very patient when Naby came in and was playing so well. He kept his head up, kept working, no strops, and played very well when he came on in the play off final. 

Looking more widely, the real test will be if we can get Lyle signed up for longer. Given Lee Bowyer’s interview remarks this week about not letting contracts run down again this has added importance. 
  • Good stuff. Love Naby but was crying out for a change in the final, glad Bowyer made it and Pearce didn't disappoint. 
  • He is a proper defender. 
  • Great news indeed ! 

A true professional & a lovely guy to boot .
  • Underwhelmed.
  • Taylor tomorrow in the new kit with Jonny W?
  • Good news though he wouldn't be top of my list of players I'd want to sign contract extensions. Interestingly that's the second contract extension he's signed since he joined us in 2016
    So??? I don't get your point. He's obviously happy, and doesn't want to move.

I thought we wanted players who wanted to play for the shirt...
    Just noting that it's a real rarity that he's signed 2 contract extensions while he's been here, indeed since the Curbishley era has anyone done this, other than ex academy players?
    Solly has I think 
    I was excluding ex academy players. Jacko is probably the only other one
  • If Bowyer wants him to stay, that is good enough for me
  • Sponsored links:

• Brilliant news, proper defender, a lack of pace and suspect passing but we wouldn't be able to pick up a better centre back with our budget and he is very dependable for one on one defending. 
  • Leader on the pitch, fantastic news
  • Very happy with this. Thought he might have wanted to move on having lost his place in the team to Sarr. Will be valuable to have around the team this season.
  • edited July 2019
    Good piece of work.

• Good defender, leader, warrior. Very happy to have him around the place.

Think he may well get his place back in the team this season, still not 100% convinced about Sarr. My worry with Pearce is his lack of pace - the speed of the game is definitely going up a notch this season relative to League One.

As for his ability on the ball. Well he isn't the greatest, but he's along way off being a Phil Chapple too. He's good enough.
  • I love his never say die attitude and is a natural leader . Would start him ahead of Sarr , with Lockyer along side him .
  • As it stands, getting him, Lockyer and Sarr on the pitch at the same time is probably ideal. Maybe Sarr could be our DM solution if Bielik doesn't happen - he has the entire toolkit
  • Excellent news.  The awful teams we've had over the last 15 years lacked leadership, communication and squad cohesion.  Pearce does all these things and more.  Definitely champ level, and a lot of teams in the champ lack that sort of player.

We just need a bit more of a defensive screen in front of our defenders.  Thought that was our weakness last season.  Agree with you Leuth on Sarr, as his strength and skill could transform defense into attack at crucial moments.
  • Awful teams over the last 15 years....

I think you need to lower the bar of your expectations...!

We were quite good in the Premiership

We were very good winning League 1

Oh, we have been quite good at Wembley as well. 😉

Pearce isn’t our saviour, albeit pleased he has stayed longer.
  • Sponsored links:

• BR3red said:
    Awful teams over the last 15 years....

Pretty sure he’s talking more about the squads in three relegation seasons and some of the other poor seasons in League 1.
  • Scoham said:
    I still see that header in the final seconds of the play-off final, as the ball was dropping into our area he came rushing out from deep and put a decisive head on it to clear it miles from danger!

That was Purrington. There’s a clip from the Sunderland end somewhere that confirmed it.
    Apologies. I've still not had a chance to watch it back since that great day, I was just going by what some had said on here...but a purrfect clearance anyway! ;-)
  • BR3red said:
    Awful teams over the last 15 years....

I said the awful teams, not the good teams.  Pretty simple and binary.
  • Sorry - I agree @ColinTat 😔

Bit of an insult though..... I am not generally that simple and binary.😉
  • Excellent news. He can play up front as he wont be getting in front of Sarr & that chap we brought in from Bristol Rovers....;) 
  • Not his biggest fan, but obviously good news. Hope he's the first of many. Still don't even like the fact that JFC got a one year extension, but that's where we are now as a club. 

As others have said, hope Taylor and Dijksteel follow. Would also like to see Sarr extend his stay. I think he started to show last year what he's capable of. Even if you don't rate the players, longer contracts help lock in their sell-on value should it come to that. So for me, I'm not convinced that at this stage of his career Pearce is going to consistently be a Championship level center half (for the upcoming season, yes). But if we stay up and get to next summer and think we can improve on him (or anyone, Sarr, Taylor, Dijksteel, etc.), we ensure a fee. 
  • Leuth said:
    As it stands, getting him, Lockyer and Sarr on the pitch at the same time is probably ideal. Maybe Sarr could be our DM solution if Bielik doesn't happen - he has the entire toolkit
    Sitting in front of the defense pinging the ball around, I'm excited just thinking about it.
  • SDAddick said:
    Not his biggest fan, but obviously good news. Hope he's the first of many. Still don't even like the fact that JFC got a one year extension, but that's where we are now as a club. 

As others have said, hope Taylor and Dijksteel follow. Would also like to see Sarr extend his stay. I think he started to show last year what he's capable of. Even if you don't rate the players, longer contracts help lock in their sell-on value should it come to that. So for me, I'm not convinced that at this stage of his career Pearce is going to consistently be a Championship level center half (for the upcoming season, yes). But if we stay up and get to next summer and think we can improve on him (or anyone, Sarr, Taylor, Dijksteel, etc.), we ensure a fee. 
    I suspect this contract extension was mainly to keep him here for this season by giving him some longer term security, as otherwise he might have preferred moving to L1 (e.g. Pompey) with a 3 year deal
  • Great to have Pearce locked down- even if not going to be a starter, he'd be an incredible figure to have around the dressing room, and a model pro for the younger players to look up to whilst they're coming through. Add to that, provides a very different alternative to Sarr as seen in the playoff final.

Rare to be happy with anything the club put out in recent years, but this is good news.