Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chuks Aneke - ed. Signs for Birmingham p24

Comments

• Options
    It isn't negativity at all, just realism.
  • Options
    I think I feel a fair amount of apathy for this current squad, Chuks is probably my favourite current player but I still wouldn't be particularly upset if he left. Feels sad writing that but it is true. Even in really poor sides we have had in the past there has been a few players I would desperately want to stay.
    About where i'm at too.
  • Options
    Why do I get the feeling that when Chuks rocks up somewhere else, he will magically start playing 35/40 games a season without a problem. Like he did at Mk
    No he didn't, in League One he has lots of seasons of about 30-35 games. He's about on par with that so far. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Why do I get the feeling that when Chuks rocks up somewhere else, he will magically start playing 35/40 games a season without a problem. Like he did at Mk
    Bit of a myth to be honest...

Given the minutes he played from the bench the season before he joined us, so was never starting all of those games either

And that was in League Two

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/chuks-aneke/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/122694/plus/0?saison=2018&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=
  • Options
    In hindsight these conversations should have started as soon as TS took over. More chance Chucks would have signed then. Instead he'll probably leave on a free 
  • Options
    It isn't negativity at all, just realism.
    Who knows, lets just get this season over first, and see exactly where we are then, you may well turn out to be right, odds are a bit in your favour at the moment, but, the season ain't over till it's over.
  • Options
    In hindsight these conversations should have started as soon as TS took over. More chance Chucks would have signed then. Instead he'll probably leave on a free 
    Was difficult at that stage as the club had to potentially think of the future with the Salary Cap still in place - They could have offered Chuks a £2k rise but his whole Contract then would have taken up a chunk of the Salary Cap come the summer...
  • Options
    Was difficult at that stage as the club had to potentially think of the future with the Salary Cap still in place - They could have offered Chuks a £2k rise but his whole Contract then would have taken up a chunk of the Salary Cap come the summer...
    Very true forgot about the cap
  • Options
    The question is what has changed since the 14th of January?

Bowyer said then they would talk to Chuks, when the window shuts, about a new contract. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Bowyer said then they would talk to Chuks, when the window shuts, about a new contract. 
    Salary cap has gone and I would imagine that has led to a big rise in demands as the player (or more likely their agent) knows we can offer more than we previously could.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    shine166 said:
    Chuks is brilliant at this level, but not overly bothered if he goes because he will only start 25/30 games max, we need our main striker to play 40 plus.
    Don’t be shy @supaclive what’s tickled you here?
    Probably the fact he's scored 12 goals, played 26 games in a dogshite team with no service, has the best mpg stats and that's not good enough. 

Jephcott's a greedy sod.
  • Options
    I think I feel a fair amount of apathy for this current squad, Chuks is probably my favourite current player but I still wouldn't be particularly upset if he left. Feels sad writing that but it is true. Even in really poor sides we have had in the past there has been a few players I would desperately want to stay.
    I think that’s true - there aren’t many “hero’s” in this squad that you feel a connection with. Even the kinda cult hero type like Naby doesn’t really exist. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Salary cap has gone and I would imagine that has led to a big rise in demands as the player (or more likely their agent) knows we can offer more than we previously could.
    That's true and may well be the real reason but it's not what the article says.

We didn't know what divison we would be in in January so why is it an issue now? 
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    shine166 said:
    Chuks is brilliant at this level, but not overly bothered if he goes because he will only start 25/30 games max, we need our main striker to play 40 plus.
    Don’t be shy @supaclive what’s tickled you here?
    Probably the fact he's scored 12 goals, played 26 games in a dogshite team with no service, has the best mpg stats and that's not good enough. 

Jephcott's a greedy sod.
    Aneke's worse! At least if you're greedy be on target for 20 goals! If Aneke passed more in front of goal, we could have two players in the top 10.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

We didn't know what divison we would be in in January so why is it an issue now? 
    Not sure I buy what it says in the article tbh. 

Almost all contracts these days will have promotion and relegation rises and drops along with release clauses etc.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Not sure I buy what it says in the article tbh. 

Almost all contracts these days will have promotion and relegation rises and drops along with release clauses etc.
    I don't either, but there is certainly a change in the rhetoric. 
  • Options
    I like Chuks but not too concerned if he leaves.  He deserves another crack at the championship.  In a well organised team he could be a factor in the champ, but he also isn't sharp enough in the box.  There were times in the Wigan match where Washington made a run, and he either followed it or didn't check back into space.  Against better champ defences he has a nack of operating in congested areas, making his goal scoring opportunities tight to say the least.

He reminds me of the best and worst mix of Adama Traore and Rommedahl.  He can look unplayable at times, but is really only effective in one half.  He's good at winning the ball up the pitch, but it often doesn't stick - that's a lot to do with our midfield but Stockley finds players whether he comes deep or on the shoulder, Chuks does this best coming deep into more congested areas.  He's willing to close down but lumberingly effective in this aspect - That's not an issue with his size, he needs to conserve energy like Traore, as long as he blocks channels that's all we should expect from him.  

In short he doesn't set the tone for the team.  For an average team we make chances, this team needs more energy in the offensive half.  I guess when they had talks his terms have gone significantly up.  We couldn't offer better terms close season.  I hope he stays fit and get's the right contract/move for himself this summer.  Of all the players in this squad he deserves that the most.
  • Options
    I'm more worried that Bowyer thinks he has converted chucks into a striker and he is the reason he is scoring goals

JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:
    “Jake has done well this season. He started slowly in pre-season and I gave him a bit of a kick up the backside – pointed a few things out to him.  He responded in the right way, since then he’s been very good.“

“ Chuks is another one who we have converted into a striker that goes on and scores goals..... If we go up I’m guessing he would stay with us. He likes it with us. He is another we have got the best out of, so I couldn’t see why he’d leave if we went up.”

Bowyer has a tendency to claim credit when a player is doing well. Is that because he’s under pressure, or is he hoping players will want to stay if they feel they wouldn’t be a successful without him?
    I wonder if it makes the players feel undervalued.
    It’s a thread on Chuks’ contract and it’s still being twisted to somehow have a dig at the manager. He was asked a question and he answered it.

He said “we” not “I”. He’s speaking the truth, the clubs coaching staff have turned an attacking midfielder into a striker and it’s been a massive success for both the club and the player. Chuks will now likely go on to a Championship club as one of the countries most in-form strikers (using the goals to minutes metric).

We’ve also done similar with the likes of Leko, the coaching team are clearly proud of their ability to see things in players that other clubs don’t. 
    I'm not sure there are clear cut differences now between attacking midfielders, second strikers or even centre forwards these days anyway

And to me he's still more effective as a second striker driving from deep than as a number 9. A lot of Chuks' goals have come from him running into the box, whether with or without the ball, whereas Stockley naturally plays the target man role better
  • Options
    CAFC is gonna be in this crappy 3rd division next season, this is near enough guaranteed.
    Chuks joined us on a free in the Championship - safe to assume he's on 2019 Championship money, which will have set his expectations of his "worth" for his next contract.
    3rd division 2021 is a very different financial proposition to 2019 2nd division.
    There's far too much being inferred by the keyboard worriers from the removal of the salary cap.  3rd division sides continue to be constrained to 60% of Turnover for their playing staff budget.  60% of a 2021 3rd division budget doesn't sensibly permit part-time strikers on 2019 Championship money - not if we are to assemble 25 - 28 able 3rd division battlers.
    The income streams that Thomas inherited from the twunt were already among the lowest in the division, and that's without accounting for the damage done by the flippers.
    And that's before the impact of the pandemic can even begin to be assessed. 
    If Chuks is prepared to accept a package commensurate with his and Charlton's actual status, then he'd be worth a punt - the devil you know and all that.  If he's got Championship expectations (unrealistic) or wants to stay on anything like he's been on the last 2 years, he's way wide of the mark.
    Same pay rate but strictly on appearances/availability?  If he went for that I'd embrace him warmly.  It'd shift his perception of his fitness and the regular level of pain to be accepted.
    Fanciful notion obvs.
    If we'd got the player that was instrumental in getting MK Dons promoted 2 years ago, I'd be much keener.  That season was a one off, he's averaged 25 appearances per season over 10 years - that's not worth more than average 3rd division money.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not sure why we would wait on this till the end of the season, everyone knows we're going to have a huge turnover of the squad over the summer, and the two players we would want to keep and crucially, can talk to now regarding contracts we're putting off? just leaving more work for the summer that could be spent on identifying and negotiating for replacements for them both or other targets.

I wish we would be proactive on this, make them both an offer, if we go up it jumps to x, if we stay in league one it stays at x if they don't sign it by say mid April then let them play out the contracts and go in the summer, if they sign, brilliant two players locked in and committed

• Options
    Not sure why we would wait on this till the end of the season, everyone knows we're going to have a huge turnover of the squad over the summer, and the two players we would want to keep and crucially, can talk to now regarding contracts we're putting off? just leaving more work for the summer that could be spent on identifying and negotiating for replacements for them both or other targets.

I wish we would be proactive on this, make them both an offer, if we go up it jumps to x, if we stay in league one it stays at x if they don't sign it by say mid April then let them play out the contracts and go in the summer, if they sign, brilliant two players locked in and committed

Sounds far to much like common sense to me 
  • Options
    I'm more worried that Bowyer thinks he has converted chucks into a striker and he is the reason he is scoring goals

JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:
    “Jake has done well this season. He started slowly in pre-season and I gave him a bit of a kick up the backside – pointed a few things out to him.  He responded in the right way, since then he’s been very good.“

“ Chuks is another one who we have converted into a striker that goes on and scores goals..... If we go up I’m guessing he would stay with us. He likes it with us. He is another we have got the best out of, so I couldn’t see why he’d leave if we went up.”

Bowyer has a tendency to claim credit when a player is doing well. Is that because he’s under pressure, or is he hoping players will want to stay if they feel they wouldn’t be a successful without him?
    It’s a thread on Chuks’ contract and it’s still being twisted to somehow have a dig at the manager. He was asked a question and he answered it.

He said “we” not “I”. He’s speaking the truth, the clubs coaching staff have turned an attacking midfielder into a striker and it’s been a massive success for both the club and the player. Chuks will now likely go on to a Championship club as one of the countries most in-form strikers (using the goals to minutes metric).

We’ve also done similar with the likes of Leko, the coaching team are clearly proud of their ability to see things in players that other clubs don’t. 
    It’s a dig at the manager because he keeps saying stupid things.

chucks Aneke has always been a striker. What did we sign him as, a wing back?

he might be able to play as an attacking midfielder but he has always been a striker.

bowyer saying he or we converted him is a stupid statement in my view
  • Options
    I think it's pretty telling that there's potentially very few (if any) that we do want to keep
  • Options
    CAFC is gonna be in this crappy 3rd division next season, this is near enough guaranteed.
    Chuks joined us on a free in the Championship - safe to assume he's on 2019 Championship money, which will have set his expectations of his "worth" for his next contract.
    3rd division 2021 is a very different financial proposition to 2019 2nd division.
    There's far too much being inferred by the keyboard worriers from the removal of the salary cap.  3rd division sides continue to be constrained to 60% of Turnover for their playing staff budget.  60% of a 2021 3rd division budget doesn't sensibly permit part-time strikers on 2019 Championship money - not if we are to assemble 25 - 28 able 3rd division battlers.
    The income streams that Thomas inherited from the twunt were already among the lowest in the division, and that's without accounting for the damage done by the flippers.
    If Chuks is prepared to accept a package commensurate with his and Charlton's actual status, then he'd be worth a punt - the devil you know and all that.  If he's got Championship expectations (unrealistic) or wants to stay on anything like he's been on the last 2 years, he's way wide of the mark.
    Same pay rate but strictly on appearances/availability?  If he went for that I'd embrace him warmly.  It'd shift his perception of his fitness and the regular level of pain to be accepted.
    Fanciful notion obvs.
    If we'd got the player that was instrumental in getting MK Dons promoted 2 years ago, I'd be much keener.  That season was a one off, he's averaged 25 appearances per season over 10 years - that's not worth more than average 3rd division money.
      This holds a lot of truth.  Only thing I'd say is we operated on an average L1 budget last season in the champ.  I'd guess only Lockyer got close to a low average wage, on account of there being some champ interest in him.  Chuks probably got a top six L1 wage, nowhere the champ average.  Still probably a wage we'll struggle with in L1, and way off a wage increase.  As you say may not be strategically right for us to offer in L1.
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    I like Chuks but not too concerned if he leaves.  He deserves another crack at the championship.  In a well organised team he could be a factor in the champ, but he also isn't sharp enough in the box.  There were times in the Wigan match where Washington made a run, and he either followed it or didn't check back into space.  Against better champ defences he has a nack of operating in congested areas, making his goal scoring opportunities tight to say the least.

He reminds me of the best and worst mix of Adama Traore and Rommedahl.  He can look unplayable at times, but is really only effective in one half.  He's good at winning the ball up the pitch, but it often doesn't stick - that's a lot to do with our midfield but Stockley finds players whether he comes deep or on the shoulder, Chuks does this best coming deep into more congested areas.  He's willing to close down but lumberingly effective in this aspect - That's not an issue with his size, he needs to conserve energy like Traore, as long as he blocks channels that's all we should expect from him.  

In short he doesn't set the tone for the team.  For an average team we make chances, this team needs more energy in the offensive half.  I guess when they had talks his terms have gone significantly up.  We couldn't offer better terms close season.  I hope he stays fit and get's the right contract/move for himself this summer.  Of all the players in this squad he deserves that the most.
    Yes let's not be concerned if the best players leave, that's the best way to get promotion...
  • Options
    Fanciful notion obvs.
    Right, except we aren’t “taking a punt” - Bowyer literally said “ As it stands we’re not doing any contracts.”.
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    Fanciful notion obvs.
      This holds a lot of truth.  Only thing I'd say is we operated on an average L1 budget last season in the champ.  I'd guess only Lockyer got close to a low average wage, on account of there being some champ interest in him.  Chuks probably got a top six L1 wage, nowhere the champ average.  Still probably a wage we'll struggle with in L1, and way off a wage increase.  As you say may not be strategically right for us to offer in L1.
    I think average league 1 budget is pushing it.  I think people interchange wage bill and budget quite a lot though.

We by league 1 standards have a "massive wage bill" but the manager has had an average/small budget to spend.   The same was true under the 3 years of Roland.

Robinson was always moaning about how little he spent, but never seemed to mention he had 4 of the highest paid center halves in the divison.

I would wager we have one of the top 6 wage bills in this division this season.  Despite the embargo and cap. 
  • Options

JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:

It’s a dig at the manager because he keeps saying stupid things.

chucks Aneke has always been a striker. What did we sign him as, a wing back?

he might be able to play as an attacking midfielder but he has always been a striker.

bowyer saying he or we converted him is a stupid statement in my view
    It's not really though is it. Chuks is playing a different role for us than he has usually played in his career, there's no doubt about that. Just because a player plays in a similar sort of position to what they always have doesn't mean what's required of them hasn't changed. Kevin de Bruyne used to be a 10 or a winger, but he's been converted into a deep-lying playmaker. Still a midfielder, but his role and responsibilities have changed. Chuks has spent the majority of his career, not all of it but a lot, playing as a 10 or a second striker. He's also been deployed as a centre forward as well, but usually he played with another striker or a bit deeper. He's also played a fair bit at central midfield and some out on the wing. Chuks hasn't usually been the main man, but now he's in place as our main goal threat, being asked to take charge of goal scoring from a more advanced position every game. It's not a radical change but then Bowyer isn't claiming that. He's not claiming to have converted Aneke into a striker, he's said that Chuks is someone 'who we have converted into a striker that goes on and scores goals. From what I understand he has got the best goals-per-minutes in the division, maybe even all the divisions'. The second half of the first sentence is the significant bit. Chuks is now an out-and-out goalscorer, which will interest teams because every team wants one of those, especially if they're going free. When we signed him it was to play behind the striker and help feed someone like Taylor, now we use him as the player we need to give service to. It's a good change and it's not crazy for Bowyer to identify that getting more goals out of Chuks will increase interest in him, which is what he's saying in the interview.